PDA

View Full Version : Substitute For Catnip??

ensoul
November 9th 06, 02:06 AM
I read about it online before, didn't pay much attention to it, since
Sam cat loved cat nip, she's passed on...now I have 2 brother's Moe &
Rudy...Rudy loves catnip, Moe can take it or leave it, he doesn't
really bother with it

anybody heard about it? It's another herb, of legal variety.

Thanks for the input

ensoul

There's beauty in the silver singing river, There's beauty in the
sunrise in the sky, But none of these and nothing else can match the
beauty, That I remember in my true love's eyes
~Bob Dylan

Cheryl
November 9th 06, 02:17 AM
On Wed 08 Nov 2006 09:06:33p, ensoul wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ups.com>:

> I read about it online before, didn't pay much attention to it,
> since Sam cat loved cat nip, she's passed on...now I have 2
> brother's Moe & Rudy...Rudy loves catnip, Moe can take it or
> leave it, he doesn't really bother with it
>
> anybody heard about it? It's another herb, of legal variety.
>
> Thanks for the input
>
> ensoul
>

> There's beauty in the silver singing river, There's beauty in
> the sunrise in the sky, But none of these and nothing else can
> match the beauty, That I remember in my true love's eyes
> ~Bob Dylan

Valarian root. Affects one of my cats way stronger than catnip.
It's not a regular, just was to see how he reacted when I read
about it. Catnip is a regular toy/treat. I don't know the long-
term affects of valarian root and cats.

--
Cheryl

Rhonda
November 10th 06, 06:16 AM
Our cats go crazy over the slightest whiff of valerian, but I don't give
it to them. I don't know if it's safe for them.

I have purchased honey suckle-filled toys for them and most really liked
that too.

Rhonda

ensoul wrote:
> I read about it online before, didn't pay much attention to it, since
> Sam cat loved cat nip, she's passed on...now I have 2 brother's Moe &
> Rudy...Rudy loves catnip, Moe can take it or leave it, he doesn't
> really bother with it
>
> anybody heard about it? It's another herb, of legal variety.
>
> Thanks for the input
>
> ensoul
>

> There's beauty in the silver singing river, There's beauty in the
> sunrise in the sky, But none of these and nothing else can match the
> beauty, That I remember in my true love's eyes
> ~Bob Dylan

meeee
November 10th 06, 07:22 AM
I have heard of cat thyme...apparently a good strain can give cats the
jollies even more than catnip (or catmint asit's sometimes known as it is a
member of the mint family)

"ensoul" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I read about it online before, didn't pay much attention to it, since
> Sam cat loved cat nip, she's passed on...now I have 2 brother's Moe &
> Rudy...Rudy loves catnip, Moe can take it or leave it, he doesn't
> really bother with it
>
> anybody heard about it? It's another herb, of legal variety.
>
> Thanks for the input
>
> ensoul
>

> There's beauty in the silver singing river, There's beauty in the
> sunrise in the sky, But none of these and nothing else can match the
> beauty, That I remember in my true love's eyes
> ~Bob Dylan

Tiger Girrl
November 30th 06, 11:07 PM
My old cat didn't care at all for catnip, but went bonkers over
valerian. I let him, he enjoyed it for the better part of 18 years. My
new cat loves the 'nip - I'd have to say that the effects of one seem
very similar to the effects of the other. That is, both induce a state
of euphoria that wears off after a while.

It's not like they really seem to *ingest* these things, they just rub
around on them to make the smell come out. Not really sure why there
would be a likely safety issue...

Rhonda wrote:
> Our cats go crazy over the slightest whiff of valerian, but I don't give
> it to them. I don't know if it's safe for them.
>
> I have purchased honey suckle-filled toys for them and most really liked
> that too.
>
> Rhonda
>
> ensoul wrote:
>> I read about it online before, didn't pay much attention to it, since
>> Sam cat loved cat nip, she's passed on...now I have 2 brother's Moe &
>> Rudy...Rudy loves catnip, Moe can take it or leave it, he doesn't
>> really bother with it
>>
>> anybody heard about it? It's another herb, of legal variety.
>>
>> Thanks for the input
>>
>> ensoul
>>

>> There's beauty in the silver singing river, There's beauty in the
>> sunrise in the sky, But none of these and nothing else can match the
>> beauty, That I remember in my true love's eyes ~Bob Dylan

Lynne
December 1st 06, 12:28 AM
on Thu, 30 Nov 2006 23:07:35 GMT, Tiger Girrl > wrote:

> It's not like they really seem to *ingest* these things, they just rub
> around on them to make the smell come out. Not really sure why there
> would be a likely safety issue...

I used to keep a catnip plant on my stoop back in grad school. I had to
put chicken wire around it because all the neighborhood cats (mine
included) would eat every bit of it they could get to. Without the chicken
wire, they would have eaten it to the ground. So while they may not "eat"
the freeze dried stuff (though I believe they do), cats definitely eat
fresh catnip. It's kitty crack, and I was the most popular person on our
court. Cat-wise that is.

I'm guessing they ingest valerian as well.

--
Lynne

Tiger Girrl
December 1st 06, 12:56 AM
> I used to keep a catnip plant on my stoop back in grad school. I had to
> put chicken wire around it because all the neighborhood cats (mine
> included) would eat every bit of it they could get to. Without the chicken
> wire, they would have eaten it to the ground. So while they may not "eat"
> the freeze dried stuff (though I believe they do), cats definitely eat
> fresh catnip. It's kitty crack, and I was the most popular person on our
> court. Cat-wise that is.
>
> I'm guessing they ingest valerian as well.

Could be. Mine just spend a lot of time rolling around on it. We had a
cat-mint bush (not catnip, but something that cats seem to like a lot
too) and it got flattened until it died.