PDA

View Full Version : more on Hyperthyroid cat

November 9th 06, 10:43 PM
We had more lab work done and it came back possitive on the hyperthyroidism.
Willie is on the meds.
I'm having a really hard time posting to this newsgroup with my news rover
so I'll keep it short.
Jean

cybercat
November 9th 06, 11:01 PM
> wrote in message
> We had more lab work done and it came back possitive on the
> hyperthyroidism.
> Willie is on the meds.
> I'm having a really hard time posting to this newsgroup with my news rover
> so I'll keep it short.
> Jean

Jean! I just took my hyperthyroid cat to the vet this morning, and four
years
after starting on the Tapazole (5 mgs twice a day) her levels are still
perfect.
About 2.8. And they started out being 10.8.

Every morning when I feed her canned food, I let her start on it then
lift her little head and toss her pill to the middle of the back of her
throat, so she can't work it around and out with her tongue. She wants
to get back to her food so badly, she cooperates and swallows. Then
I do the same thing at night. She is twelve years old, and from the first
month she has been on Tapazole, her levels have been normal, in the 2.0s.
She is now twelve and is a much happier, friskier cat. Willie is lucky you
caught and treated it!

Buddy's Mom
November 9th 06, 11:02 PM
Glad Willie is being treated. You will, most likely, need to take him
in for a blood test periodically to see how his thyroid level is being
affected. Keep plugging away!

wrote:
> We had more lab work done and it came back possitive on the hyperthyroidism.
> Willie is on the meds.
> I'm having a really hard time posting to this newsgroup with my news rover
> so I'll keep it short.
> Jean

cybercat
November 9th 06, 11:22 PM
"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Glad Willie is being treated. You will, most likely, need to take him
> in for a blood test periodically to see how his thyroid level is being
> affected. Keep plugging away!

Every six months is what my vet requires. I just changed vets and they have
the same policy. Her levels have stayed the same over the years, so we are
very lucky.

ChristyLynn
November 10th 06, 01:52 AM
Your cats have no side effects on the Tapazole? My cat couldn't take it.
He had to be on a 2nd med for the side effects and then he was like a
zombie.

Buddy's Mom
November 10th 06, 02:34 AM
my cat was 18 when diagnosed. What sort of side effects did your cat
have? Maybe they were part of the hyperthyroidism that wasn't being
treated?

ChristyLynn wrote:
> Your cats have no side effects on the Tapazole? My cat couldn't take it.
> He had to be on a 2nd med for the side effects and then he was like a
> zombie.

cybercat
November 10th 06, 02:46 AM
"ChristyLynn" > wrote in message
> Your cats have no side effects on the Tapazole? My cat couldn't take it.
> He had to be on a 2nd med for the side effects and then he was like a
> zombie.

Sounds like the dosage was not right. Although, hyperT cats are
"hypervigilant,"
twitchy and jumpy from their condition, so correcting it ought to make them
slow down a bit. Boo has been a new cat, happy as she can be, much more
relaxed but very active, too. She has no side effects. She used to vomit a
lot more before she was medicated, now not so much.

ChristyLynn
November 10th 06, 03:17 AM
When on the meds Toby developed a habit of biting himself, pulling his hair
out. He would be walking across a room and all of a sudden sit down and
start viciously licking and biting himself like he was being attacked by
invisible bugs. The vet then put him on another med for the side effects,
though I don't remember what, but it was probable something like valium or
an anti-anxiety med. He then was a zombie and just slept all the time.
Then we opted for the radiation treatment and he was wonderful for 8 more
years of his life.

Phil P.
November 10th 06, 10:46 AM
> wrote in message
> We had more lab work done and it came back possitive on the
hyperthyroidism.
> Willie is on the meds.
> I'm having a really hard time posting to this newsgroup with my news rover
> so I'll keep it short.
> Jean

How old is he, Jean?

Phil

Phil P.
November 10th 06, 10:46 AM
"ChristyLynn" > wrote in message
> When on the meds Toby developed a habit of biting himself, pulling his
hair
> out. He would be walking across a room and all of a sudden sit down and
> start viciously licking and biting himself like he was being attacked by
> invisible bugs. The vet then put him on another med for the side effects,
> though I don't remember what, but it was probable something like valium or
> an anti-anxiety med. He then was a zombie and just slept all the time.
> Then we opted for the radiation treatment and he was wonderful for 8 more
> years of his life.

Excoriation (especially facial) is one of the more common side effects of
Tapazole. My 13 year-old just stopped eating after about 4 months on
Tapazole so I had to opt for radioiodine tx. A lot vets will tell you some
cats become anorexic because of the bitter taste of Tapazole-- not true--
its the drug itself. I put the pill in a #4 gelcap and followed the cap
will 10 ml of water from day one- so she never tasted the pill.

She was a little hypOthyroid for a couple of months after I-131 tx- but
that's to be expected until the normal thyroid tissue becomes functional
again. Her T-4 has been dead-center-normal for the last few months. She
goes in again next week for her 6-month recheck. I'm not expecting any
surprises.

Phil

tension_on_the_wire
November 13th 06, 06:33 AM
Buddy's Mom wrote:
> my cat was 18 when diagnosed. What sort of side effects did your cat
> have? Maybe they were part of the hyperthyroidism that wasn't being
> treated?

Tapazole is also known for causing vomiting, and diarrhea. It isn't
because of the taste, as Phil mentioned, but a direct side effect of
the medication. It apparently happens often enough that the vets
forewarn of it, which is important because one needs to sort out
vomiting as a side effect of the med, vs. vomiting as a symptom
of hyperthyroidism. That's partly why following levels is so
important.

Luthien is 14 years old, and just got diagnosed this
summer. Her initial T4 levels were 19.6, apparently the highest
her vet has ever seen. Her little heart was banging away at
240 bpm, poor thing. She started on 5mg daily
(half-tab twice a day), and that got her T4 down to 4.63 which is
just above normal for this lab. And her heart rate is down to 120 bpm,
at home when she is calm. But her Free T4 was still greater than
100 (normal is 10-50) so vet has asked us to increase the dose
by fifty percent. I was a bit skeptical, since her heart rate was
back to normal, but I followed directions. We'll see her levels
again, but fortunately she is having no side effects on meds
at 7.5mg per day. For now, the criteria for me is to follow
her heart rate, which is a quite sensitive indicator for thyroid
levels. If you can get kitty to sit still long enough to measure
it.

Medicine time is quite a show in this house. I felt bad popping
pills down Luthien twice a day, knowing it would be for life,
even though she is a great pill taker. But it was ruining the
fun of her treat time, knowing she had to take the meds, so
now I crunch it up in her food, because she always finishes
the whole plate, so I know she gets all the meds, and the
food hides the taste quite well, and the kitten gets a plate
of treats at the same time so as not to get jealous, and they
never horn in on each other's food and now everybody's happy.

--tension

Elizabeth Tudor
November 19th 06, 02:18 PM
Do/did any of you use the liquid Tapazol? I've used it twice a day, 0.2
mg twice a day, for almost a year. I just drop it on the top of her food
AM & PM. She's not had vomiting or the twitchy activity some of you
describe. At her last blood test, she was "high normal." She is
however, continuing to lose weight and she's tiny already. She eats her
normal amount of moist, canned food. She is 22, with no teeth so does
not take the dry food which I used to leave out for feeding at will.

Liz

Phil P. wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
>>We had more lab work done and it came back possitive on the
>
> hyperthyroidism.
>
>> Willie is on the meds.
>>I'm having a really hard time posting to this newsgroup with my news rover
>>so I'll keep it short.
>>Jean
>

> How old is he, Jean?
>
> Phil

cybercat
November 19th 06, 05:27 PM
"Elizabeth Tudor" > wrote

> She is 22, with no teeth so does not take the dry food which I used to
> leave out for feeding at will.

22!! Wow! Keep doing what you're doing. That is amazing.

flowerpower
November 19th 06, 10:13 PM
My cat was diagnosed in May, but could not tolerate the Tapazole. I
decided to have him treated with the radioactive iodine, and it was the
best thing I could have done. Unfortunately, I believe my cat had had
the hyperthyrodism for years, and I had not detected the symptoms. He
passed away last Sunday, we believe it was from a stroke, due to
hypertension for years.

But if anyone is considering the radioactive treatment it is wonderful.

Erin