PDA

View Full Version : One of my colony died.

RobZip
November 11th 06, 07:25 AM
One of the four tabby kittens that was part of the recent TNR died. I found
her laying under our outdoor glider when I came home from work tonight.
There weren't any signs of injury, nor had she appeared to be sick. The last
I'd seen of her was Wednesday and she was just fine then. They do wander
around all over the place, so it's hard to tell if she got into something
toxic or swallowed something that injured her internally. Her other 3
siblings are still here and doing fine. They were quite curious about my
examination of their sister's body. Whatever killed her, she came home to
die. Sad.....

Spook, the Siamese looking tom, appears to be MIA. He never quite was the
same after the TNR. He came by for food many times but didn't hang out here
as regularly as he had prior to TNR. His brother, Bubbles, is still here and
back to normal though. Spook just seemed a bit more skittish and aloof since
the TNR and spent more time away. Possible that he's just moved on to
another area. Scruffy isn't as regular as he had been either. He still shows
up every few days. Mr. Jingles hasn't been here much either, but is
obviously doing well. I saw him tonight just walking past my home and he
actually looked quite plump! Good for him. he's scoring well somewhere and
looks almost like a kept pet again.

Rhonda
November 11th 06, 06:16 PM
RobZip wrote:
> One of the four tabby kittens that was part of the recent TNR died. I found
> her laying under our outdoor glider when I came home from work tonight.
> There weren't any signs of injury, nor had she appeared to be sick. The last
> I'd seen of her was Wednesday and she was just fine then. They do wander
> around all over the place, so it's hard to tell if she got into something
> toxic or swallowed something that injured her internally. Her other 3
> siblings are still here and doing fine. They were quite curious about my
> examination of their sister's body. Whatever killed her, she came home to
> die. Sad.....

That is very sad. It sounds like she didn't suffer long, thankfully. Did
you decide to have a necropsy?

It's a compliment to you that she came back to your house.

I hope all of the others are doing well and will calm down about the tnr
over time.

Rhonda

Matthew
November 11th 06, 06:42 PM
sorry about the loss Rob hopefully the rest will recover

"RobZip" <no > wrote in message
.. .
> One of the four tabby kittens that was part of the recent TNR died. I
> found her laying under our outdoor glider when I came home from work
> tonight. There weren't any signs of injury, nor had she appeared to be
> sick. The last I'd seen of her was Wednesday and she was just fine then.
> They do wander around all over the place, so it's hard to tell if she got
> into something toxic or swallowed something that injured her internally.
> Her other 3 siblings are still here and doing fine. They were quite
> curious about my examination of their sister's body. Whatever killed her,
> she came home to die. Sad.....
>
> Spook, the Siamese looking tom, appears to be MIA. He never quite was the
> same after the TNR. He came by for food many times but didn't hang out
> here as regularly as he had prior to TNR. His brother, Bubbles, is still
> here and back to normal though. Spook just seemed a bit more skittish and
> aloof since the TNR and spent more time away. Possible that he's just
> moved on to another area. Scruffy isn't as regular as he had been either.
> He still shows up every few days. Mr. Jingles hasn't been here much
> either, but is obviously doing well. I saw him tonight just walking past
> my home and he actually looked quite plump! Good for him. he's scoring
> well somewhere and looks almost like a kept pet again.

RobZip
November 11th 06, 08:59 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> RobZip wrote:
>> One of the four tabby kittens that was part of the recent TNR died. I
>> found her laying under our outdoor glider when I came home from work
>> tonight. There weren't any signs of injury, nor had she appeared to be
>> sick. The last I'd seen of her was Wednesday and she was just fine then.
>> They do wander around all over the place, so it's hard to tell if she got
>> into something toxic or swallowed something that injured her internally.
>> Her other 3 siblings are still here and doing fine. They were quite
>> curious about my examination of their sister's body. Whatever killed her,
>> she came home to die. Sad.....
>
> That is very sad. It sounds like she didn't suffer long, thankfully. Did
> you decide to have a necropsy?

Couldn't really justify or afford it. Whatever happened was something that
only affected this one animal. I'm leaning towards her swallowing something
that caused internal injury. She was in excellent health and very active. If
it were a toxin, others probably would have gotten it as well. The others
are all accounted for and quite well. With wet weather setting in and temps
around 40 degrees, they are enjoying the recently installed heating pad in
their hootch.

> It's a compliment to you that she came back to your house.

It is, isn't it? Even though they are semi feral and don't really want
direct contact, they talk to me, hang out at the door, and generally view my
home as their safety net.

> I hope all of the others are doing well and will calm down about the tnr
> over time.

Well, it about figures that with hormone adjustments, some won't be as
competitive and aggressive over the food or territory as they were before.

RobZip
November 11th 06, 09:00 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
. ..
> sorry about the loss Rob hopefully the rest will recover

Well, I'm saddened and disappointed for sure. The others actually seem to be
doing quite well - business as usual in fact.

meeee
November 12th 06, 03:55 AM
Oh dear, how sad :( That must be hard for you after everything is going so
well for the colony. Keep us posted about Spook, I'm glad the others are
doing well though.

.. .