PDA

View Full Version : Will they ever get along again? (little long)

blkcatgal
November 11th 06, 05:01 PM
Here's the story. I have 2 cats...cat A is 3 years old. I've had him since
he was a kitten. About 8 months ago, I adopted cat B who is now just over a
year old. It took a little while for the 2 to get along, and while they
aren't best friends, they do play together and get along okay. Yesterday, I
took cat B to the vet. When I brought him home and let him out of the
carrier, cat A hissed, growled and tried to attack cat B. Now I understand
this is normal behavior, that cat A was reacting to the weird smells, etc,
on cat B. But here it is the next day and cat A is still reacting the same
way to cat B. Is this normal? Will cat A ever come around? Is there
anything I can do to make the situation better? Should I just let them work
it out? I don't want them not to get along. ps. I already have Feliway
diffusers all over the house (since adopting cat B).

Thanks for any advice.

Sue

Matthew
November 11th 06, 05:16 PM
Take a towel take cat a rub the towel all over cat a than rub all over cat
b same smell.

Or really to get to the furballs take a piece of your dirty clothing rub
both of them see how fast they try to get the smell off ;-)

"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> Here's the story. I have 2 cats...cat A is 3 years old. I've had him
> since he was a kitten. About 8 months ago, I adopted cat B who is now
> just over a year old. It took a little while for the 2 to get along, and
> while they aren't best friends, they do play together and get along okay.
> Yesterday, I took cat B to the vet. When I brought him home and let him
> out of the carrier, cat A hissed, growled and tried to attack cat B. Now
> I understand this is normal behavior, that cat A was reacting to the weird
> smells, etc, on cat B. But here it is the next day and cat A is still
> reacting the same way to cat B. Is this normal? Will cat A ever come
> around? Is there anything I can do to make the situation better? Should
> I just let them work it out? I don't want them not to get along. ps. I
> already have Feliway diffusers all over the house (since adopting cat B).
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Sue

blkcatgal
November 11th 06, 08:21 PM
Matthew,
I tried what you suggested (rubbed my old robe over both cats) and it didn't
help. Wally (cat A) is still treating Ernie (cat B) not very nice...hissing
and swatting at him. It's almost as if Wally thinks I brought a new cat
into the house. And I'm beginning to worry about Ernie because he doesn't
understand why Wally is treating him so bad.

Sue
"Matthew" > wrote in message
. ..
> Take a towel take cat a rub the towel all over cat a than rub all over
> cat b same smell.
>

> Or really to get to the furballs take a piece of your dirty clothing rub
> both of them see how fast they try to get the smell off ;-)
>
> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Here's the story. I have 2 cats...cat A is 3 years old. I've had him
>> since he was a kitten. About 8 months ago, I adopted cat B who is now
>> just over a year old. It took a little while for the 2 to get along, and
>> while they aren't best friends, they do play together and get along okay.
>> Yesterday, I took cat B to the vet. When I brought him home and let him
>> out of the carrier, cat A hissed, growled and tried to attack cat B. Now
>> I understand this is normal behavior, that cat A was reacting to the
>> weird smells, etc, on cat B. But here it is the next day and cat A is
>> still reacting the same way to cat B. Is this normal? Will cat A ever
>> come around? Is there anything I can do to make the situation better?
>> Should I just let them work it out? I don't want them not to get along.
>> ps. I already have Feliway diffusers all over the house (since adopting
>> cat B).
>>
>> Thanks for any advice.
>>
>> Sue

meeee
November 12th 06, 02:51 AM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> Here's the story. I have 2 cats...cat A is 3 years old. I've had him
> since he was a kitten. About 8 months ago, I adopted cat B who is now
> just over a year old. It took a little while for the 2 to get along, and
> while they aren't best friends, they do play together and get along okay.
> Yesterday, I took cat B to the vet. When I brought him home and let him
> out of the carrier, cat A hissed, growled and tried to attack cat B. Now
> I understand this is normal behavior, that cat A was reacting to the weird
> smells, etc, on cat B. But here it is the next day and cat A is still
> reacting the same way to cat B. Is this normal? Will cat A ever come
> around? Is there anything I can do to make the situation better? Should
> I just let them work it out? I don't want them not to get along. ps. I
> already have Feliway diffusers all over the house (since adopting cat B).
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Sue

I have had a similar thing, and this was between littermates/mother and
babies. It does take a few days. Just make sure the persecuted one has space
to hide. Depending on how long they were there/what was done they should be
ok within 2 weeks; this might seem a while but cats are VERY sensitive to
smells and changes. Cat A does know it is a 'friend' but is basically
freaked out by the strangeness of the smell. Give them time and they'll be
fine; unfortunately there is no 'quick fix' as it sounds like your cat is a
bit more sensitive than most. Things will go back to normal though. Best
wishes :)

blkcatgal
November 12th 06, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the reassurance. You are right, we always thought Wally (cat A)
is overly sensitive. I just worry that poor Ernie (cat B) doesn't
understand why Wally is treating him so bad. Fortunately, Ernie is pretty
easy-going.

"meeee" > wrote in message

> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Here's the story. I have 2 cats...cat A is 3 years old. I've had him
>> since he was a kitten. About 8 months ago, I adopted cat B who is now
>> just over a year old. It took a little while for the 2 to get along, and
>> while they aren't best friends, they do play together and get along okay.
>> Yesterday, I took cat B to the vet. When I brought him home and let him
>> out of the carrier, cat A hissed, growled and tried to attack cat B. Now
>> I understand this is normal behavior, that cat A was reacting to the
>> weird smells, etc, on cat B. But here it is the next day and cat A is
>> still reacting the same way to cat B. Is this normal? Will cat A ever
>> come around? Is there anything I can do to make the situation better?
>> Should I just let them work it out? I don't want them not to get along.
>> ps. I already have Feliway diffusers all over the house (since adopting
>> cat B).
>>
>> Thanks for any advice.
>>
>> Sue
>>

> I have had a similar thing, and this was between littermates/mother and
> babies. It does take a few days. Just make sure the persecuted one has
> space to hide. Depending on how long they were there/what was done they
> should be ok within 2 weeks; this might seem a while but cats are VERY
> sensitive to smells and changes. Cat A does know it is a 'friend' but is
> basically freaked out by the strangeness of the smell. Give them time and
> they'll be fine; unfortunately there is no 'quick fix' as it sounds like
> your cat is a bit more sensitive than most. Things will go back to normal
> though. Best wishes :)

meeee
November 13th 06, 01:44 AM
No worries...hope it's getting better today :)

"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> Thanks for the reassurance. You are right, we always thought Wally (cat
> A) is overly sensitive. I just worry that poor Ernie (cat B) doesn't
> understand why Wally is treating him so bad. Fortunately, Ernie is pretty
> easy-going.
>
> "meeee" > wrote in message
>>
>> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>> Here's the story. I have 2 cats...cat A is 3 years old. I've had him
>>> since he was a kitten. About 8 months ago, I adopted cat B who is now
>>> just over a year old. It took a little while for the 2 to get along,
>>> and while they aren't best friends, they do play together and get along
>>> okay. Yesterday, I took cat B to the vet. When I brought him home and
>>> let him out of the carrier, cat A hissed, growled and tried to attack
>>> cat B. Now I understand this is normal behavior, that cat A was
>>> reacting to the weird smells, etc, on cat B. But here it is the next
>>> day and cat A is still reacting the same way to cat B. Is this normal?
>>> Will cat A ever come around? Is there anything I can do to make the
>>> situation better? Should I just let them work it out? I don't want them
>>> not to get along. ps. I already have Feliway diffusers all over the
>>> house (since adopting cat B).
>>>
>>> Thanks for any advice.
>>>
>>> Sue
>>>

>> I have had a similar thing, and this was between littermates/mother and
>> babies. It does take a few days. Just make sure the persecuted one has
>> space to hide. Depending on how long they were there/what was done they
>> should be ok within 2 weeks; this might seem a while but cats are VERY
>> sensitive to smells and changes. Cat A does know it is a 'friend' but is
>> basically freaked out by the strangeness of the smell. Give them time and
>> they'll be fine; unfortunately there is no 'quick fix' as it sounds like
>> your cat is a bit more sensitive than most. Things will go back to normal
>> though. Best wishes :)

blkcatgal
November 13th 06, 04:43 AM
Today was a little better....they were actually chasing each other around
the house (in a good way).

Sue

"meeee" > wrote in message
> No worries...hope it's getting better today :)
>
> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Thanks for the reassurance. You are right, we always thought Wally (cat
>> A) is overly sensitive. I just worry that poor Ernie (cat B) doesn't
>> understand why Wally is treating him so bad. Fortunately, Ernie is
>> pretty easy-going.
>>
>> "meeee" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
>>> . ..

>>> I have had a similar thing, and this was between littermates/mother and
>>> babies. It does take a few days. Just make sure the persecuted one has
>>> space to hide. Depending on how long they were there/what was done they
>>> should be ok within 2 weeks; this might seem a while but cats are VERY
>>> sensitive to smells and changes. Cat A does know it is a 'friend' but is
>>> basically freaked out by the strangeness of the smell. Give them time
>>> and they'll be fine; unfortunately there is no 'quick fix' as it sounds
>>> like your cat is a bit more sensitive than most. Things will go back to
>>> normal though. Best wishes :)

meeee
November 13th 06, 05:10 AM
That's encouraging...sounds like things might be returning to normal!

"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> Today was a little better....they were actually chasing each other around
> the house (in a good way).
>
> Sue
>
> "meeee" > wrote in message
>> No worries...hope it's getting better today :)
>>
>> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>> Thanks for the reassurance. You are right, we always thought Wally (cat
>>> A) is overly sensitive. I just worry that poor Ernie (cat B) doesn't
>>> understand why Wally is treating him so bad. Fortunately, Ernie is
>>> pretty easy-going.

blkcatgal
November 14th 06, 04:44 AM
Well, today may have been a step backwards. Cat A (Wally) is still hissing
at cat B (Ernie) and acts like he's not happy that Ernie is around. I'm
really at a loss as to what to do. I've been trying to give both cats lots
of attention. I'll give it time and hope things get better.......

Sue

"meeee" > wrote in message
> That's encouraging...sounds like things might be returning to normal!
>
> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Today was a little better....they were actually chasing each other around
>> the house (in a good way).
>>
>> Sue
>>
>> "meeee" > wrote in message
>>> No worries...hope it's getting better today :)
>>>
>>> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
>>> . ..

meeee
November 14th 06, 10:30 AM
Don't worry...I've introduced a new girl recently and I thought she was
doing better but then today she's swiping at everyone again. Give them time,
tomorrow Wally might be in a better mood.

"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> Well, today may have been a step backwards. Cat A (Wally) is still
> hissing at cat B (Ernie) and acts like he's not happy that Ernie is
> around. I'm really at a loss as to what to do. I've been trying to give
> both cats lots of attention. I'll give it time and hope things get
> better.......
>
> Sue
>
> "meeee" > wrote in message
>> That's encouraging...sounds like things might be returning to normal!
>>
>> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>> Today was a little better....they were actually chasing each other
>>> around the house (in a good way).
>>>
>>> Sue

Rene S.
November 17th 06, 09:46 PM
blkcatgal wrote:
> Here's the story. I have 2 cats...cat A is 3 years old. I've had him since
> he was a kitten. About 8 months ago, I adopted cat B who is now just over a
> year old. It took a little while for the 2 to get along, and while they
> aren't best friends, they do play together and get along okay. Yesterday, I
> took cat B to the vet. When I brought him home and let him out of the
> carrier, cat A hissed, growled and tried to attack cat B. Now I understand
> this is normal behavior, that cat A was reacting to the weird smells, etc,
> on cat B. But here it is the next day and cat A is still reacting the same
> way to cat B. Is this normal? Will cat A ever come around? Is there
> anything I can do to make the situation better? Should I just let them work
> it out? I don't want them not to get along. ps. I already have Feliway
> diffusers all over the house (since adopting cat B).
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Sue

I have had this exact scenario happen with my 2, though in my case,
except that Cat A really got upset and worked up over Cat B, and things
did not get better. I had to basically separate them and reintroduce
them slowly. I also used Feliway and put Rescue Remedy in the water
bowls.

If aggression continues, you might consider separating them while
you're away. And the next time or or the other goes to the vet, you
certainly want to keep them separated for a while afterwards. I keep
mine separated overnight, and by the next morning, the "evil smells"
have gone away. Not exactly fun, but it sure beats dealing with months
of aggression!