PDA

View Full Version : Charlie is not doing well...

A&A's Mama
November 11th 06, 07:19 PM
He started weezing and his nose is all stuffed up. I brought him to the
vet again this AM. He was given more IV fluids, another antibiotic for
a week and some drops for his nose and eyes. The vet said it doesn't
look good. He is a frail, weak kitty. I am going to try to get him to
eat some mushy food. I tried canned tuna today and he didn't want any.
He is still peeing and has the diareeha. Please say a prayer for my
kitty!!

I don't know what to think about shelters. If something bad happens
again, I will be devestated and will not adopt a shelter animal again.

Megan

MoMo via CatKB.com
November 11th 06, 07:45 PM
What if you try giving him baby food? My little guy who is a very picky
eater is on medication and I have been putting it in baby food and he is
lapping it up.

I had a similar experience with one of my cats that I adopted from a shelter.
After I had him for about a week, he began sneezing constantly to the point
where I came home from work one day and there was blood everywhere due to the
fact that he had burst a blood vessel in his nose. So, off to the vet we
went the next day (I was told that it could wait until the morning when I
called the emergency vet) and I was told that he had an upper respitory (sp)
infection and that he was actually older than what the shelter told me. I
was told that he was 6 months by the shelter and the vet told me that he was
well over a year. The age itself did not bother me as I wanted to adopt an
adult, but the point that they would lie about it was frustrating. The vet
told me that they see sick animals that are adopted from shelters all the
time. The actual experience made me want to go back to shelters to adopt
though being that I know that I can help these animals that obviously need it.

Good luck with Charlie and let us know how everything turns out.

A&A's Mama wrote:
>He started weezing and his nose is all stuffed up. I brought him to the
>vet again this AM. He was given more IV fluids, another antibiotic for
>a week and some drops for his nose and eyes. The vet said it doesn't
>look good. He is a frail, weak kitty. I am going to try to get him to
>eat some mushy food. I tried canned tuna today and he didn't want any.
>He is still peeing and has the diareeha. Please say a prayer for my
>kitty!!
>
>I don't know what to think about shelters. If something bad happens
>again, I will be devestated and will not adopt a shelter animal again.
>
>Megan

Stacey Weinberger
November 11th 06, 07:47 PM
Hi Megan,

I've heard that Fancy Feast will get some cats to eat. When mine aren't
feeling well I give them turkey or chicken baby food or boiled chicken
breast (that one is a fav!). The last time one of mine didn't feel well due
to stomach upset and wouldn't eat the IV fluids kicked in his appetite. He
hadn't eaten in almost three days and that's not good for cats. If you boil
the chicken breast try to get him to drink some of the broth. That will at
least have some nutrients in it for him. Let him know you love him and you
want him to stay

Sending prayers for Charlie to get through this,

Stacey

"A&A's Mama" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> He started weezing and his nose is all stuffed up. I brought him to the
> vet again this AM. He was given more IV fluids, another antibiotic for
> a week and some drops for his nose and eyes. The vet said it doesn't
> look good. He is a frail, weak kitty. I am going to try to get him to
> eat some mushy food. I tried canned tuna today and he didn't want any.
> He is still peeing and has the diareeha. Please say a prayer for my
> kitty!!
>
> I don't know what to think about shelters. If something bad happens
> again, I will be devestated and will not adopt a shelter animal again.
>
> Megan

cybercat
November 11th 06, 08:12 PM
"A&A's Mama" > wrote

> I don't know what to think about shelters. If something bad happens
> again, I will be devestated and will not adopt a shelter animal again.

Megan.

What makes you think being a "shelter animal" has anything to do
with Charlie's problems? Breeders often have cats all packed in
to a small space and they have the same problems PLUS they are
BREEDING cats when millions are euthanized because they are
unwanted. Alleycats, or strays that have not been rescued by a
shelter would have the same risk of herpes and a greater risk
of other, much worse problems than UTI.

I was getting ready to offer sympathy for Charlie's problem,
and I do sympathize, but I find your comment about shelters
upsetting.

cybercat
November 11th 06, 08:24 PM
"MoMo via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote
> was told that he was 6 months by the shelter and the vet told me that he
> was
> well over a year. The age itself did not bother me as I wanted to adopt
> an
> adult, but the point that they would lie about it was frustrating.

Maybe they just made a mistake.

Anyway, a young adult cat might be stronger than a small kitten and have
larger
passages, and so would probably be more inclined to survive a UTI with
treatment. It's just a bad cold when it comes down to it.

I prefer adult shelter cats. Everyone wants kittens, it seems. So the adults
languish at no-kill shelters or are euthanized.

When you adopt an adult cat that has been in a shelter for some months,
you get a cat with excellent toilet habits, and who is otherwise a known
quantity because the staff has had time to observe if he is good with
children and other people, if he likes other animals or would prefer
to be an only cat, if he has any health problems, that sort of thing.

And you don't have to worry about him climbing the curtains,
etc. I would not trade the cat I adopted at age one or two
from a shelter six years ago for anything in the world.

>The vet
> told me that they see sick animals that are adopted from shelters all the
> time. The actual experience made me want to go back to shelters to adopt
> though being that I know that I can help these animals that obviously need
> it.

Bless you. I will always adopt from shelters, though I still have not gotten
over the experience of seeing all those beautiful animals, each wanting me
take HIM home. It broke my heart. And I could not get one person among
my friends and family to go adopt one even though I offered to pay the fee
for two. Not one. (Which is when I actually began mistrusting people who
do not like cats. Likely the first sign of Clinical Cat Eccentricity, lol!)

All those cats, all of them lovely and deserving of a home. Then multiply
that
by thousands of rooms and pounds just like that, and it is overwhelming.

(Our species domesticated them, after all. They are not meant to be wild.)

A&A's Mama
November 11th 06, 10:58 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "A&A's Mama" > wrote
> >
> > I don't know what to think about shelters. If something bad happens
> > again, I will be devestated and will not adopt a shelter animal again.
> >

> Megan.
>
> What makes you think being a "shelter animal" has anything to do
> with Charlie's problems? Breeders often have cats all packed in
> to a small space and they have the same problems PLUS they are
> BREEDING cats when millions are euthanized because they are
> unwanted. Alleycats, or strays that have not been rescued by a
> shelter would have the same risk of herpes and a greater risk
> of other, much worse problems than UTI.
>
> I was getting ready to offer sympathy for Charlie's problem,
> and I do sympathize, but I find your comment about shelters
> upsetting.

Cybercat,

I am sorry that my comment upset you. I have adopted 2 kitten in less
than 2 mos. from my local SPCA. One has died and one is very sick. I
will be beyond devestated and heartbroken if something happens to
Charlie. I did a good thing by adopting from a shelter, but I am
feeling very burned right now.

Thanks to everyone's good thoughts and suggestions. I have bought some
Fancy Feast, some baby food and some Whiskas cat milk. He's not eating
it himself, but I am feeding him off my finger and I am trying to get
some liquid into him with a medicine dropper.

Please, please send good thoughts this way!

Megan

Rhonda
November 12th 06, 01:00 AM
A&A's Mama wrote:

> Thanks to everyone's good thoughts and suggestions. I have bought some
> Fancy Feast, some baby food and some Whiskas cat milk. He's not eating
> it himself, but I am feeding him off my finger and I am trying to get
> some liquid into him with a medicine dropper.
>
> Please, please send good thoughts this way!

Megan, I'm sending good thoughts for Charlie.

I have syringe-fed cats a couple of times and if you have a blender --
it works well to mix wet food and a little water together and then use a
syringe to squirt in the mouth. You do have to be a little careful that
you don't squirt it too forcefully down their throats and get it in the
windpipe.

I thought the cats would hate it. They did struggle at first, but as
they felt better with more food in their system they would start to purr
when they saw the syringe, even though they still weren't eating on
their own.

Hope Charlie perks up soon,

Rhonda

November 12th 06, 02:14 AM
"A&A's Mama" > wrote:

>Thanks to everyone's good thoughts and suggestions. I have bought some
>Fancy Feast, some baby food and some Whiskas cat milk

I don't know if anyone mentioned this but make sure the baby food does
not contain onion as it is toxic to cats.

-mhd

A&A's Mama
November 12th 06, 02:37 AM
wrote:
> "A&A's Mama" > wrote:
>
> >Thanks to everyone's good thoughts and suggestions. I have bought some
> >Fancy Feast, some baby food and some Whiskas cat milk
>
> I don't know if anyone mentioned this but make sure the baby food does
> not contain onion as it is toxic to cats.
>
> -mhd

I did not know that. I will have to look. I bought him chicken and
rice. I ended up bringing him to the emergency animal hospital. I was
just so scared. They assured me that he looks and sounds sicker than he
actually is. They even said that they didn't recommend a chest x-ray at
this point, b/c they don't feel it's a lung issue right now. So, we
were told to keep up the antibiotics. When we got home, we got some
baby food in him via syringe and also from our fingers. He's now
sleeping in the steamy bathroom.

Megan

2oz
November 12th 06, 03:05 AM
A&A's Mama wrote:

> I don't know what to think about shelters. If something bad happens
> again, I will be devestated and will not adopt a shelter animal again.

Hi, I read your other posts on the subject of shelters, about the one
dying and the one that is sick.

How old is Charlie, I haven't been keeping up with every post like I
used to
I do wish your Charlie well, hows it going?

Far as shelters, Im sure wellness in shelter cats can vary widely

it's amazing! you would think us humans would have a good grasp on the
concept of sterility and air-borne germs etc... its no put down to
volunteers and shelters abroad, I am grateful for them all! but... in
comparison, think about how many folk die of staph infection in
hospitols.. drug resistant germs...

I'm sure there is a protocol for handling sickly cats, yet... lets be
honest
it is very tedious and difficult and a REAL CHALLENGE to quarantine
germs.
VERY HARD... no not impossible, but in practice.. it only takes on lazy
ass
volunteer to spread some bad **** around the compound if you know what
I mean

in practice I mean...

I know this to be true because it is easy to see how often humans ****
up on humans
(in hospitols)...

so! why would I expect shelter workers to be any more diligent with
cats? I don't
and they are not and your testimony is living proof of that fact

furthermore

we should

make a nationwide law! every dog and cat in a shelter, who is not
claimed by it's owner in 10 days, SHALL BE PUT DOWN WITHOUT EXCEPTION

there is no pain in their dying

a life not lived is a life not missed

best to you and your Charlie

cybercat
November 12th 06, 03:18 AM
"A&A's Mama" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>I bought him chicken and
> rice. I ended up bringing him to the emergency animal hospital. I was
> just so scared. They assured me that he looks and sounds sicker than he
> actually is. They even said that they didn't recommend a chest x-ray at
> this point, b/c they don't feel it's a lung issue right now. So, we
> were told to keep up the antibiotics. When we got home, we got some
> baby food in him via syringe and also from our fingers. He's now
> sleeping in the steamy bathroom.

Megan,

I feel sure he will be fine. I had forgotten that you lost the other kitten
such a short time ago. It makes sense that you would be upset now,
and wondering if you can't get a healthy kitten from a shelter.

Prayers and lots of hope that Charlie just has a bad cold. I bet the
hospital would have kept him if he was critical. And I know that
cost you a bundle. You're a generous, lovely cat mom.

-L.
November 12th 06, 06:55 AM
A&A's Mama wrote:

> I did not know that. I will have to look. I bought him chicken and
> rice. I ended up bringing him to the emergency animal hospital. I was
> just so scared. They assured me that he looks and sounds sicker than he
> actually is. They even said that they didn't recommend a chest x-ray at
> this point, b/c they don't feel it's a lung issue right now. So, we
> were told to keep up the antibiotics. When we got home, we got some
> baby food in him via syringe and also from our fingers. He's now
> sleeping in the steamy bathroom.
>
> Megan

Two products I would get right away are Nutrical (from your vet) and
Science Diet canned A/D food ("ailment diet" from your vet). Syringe
feed the kitten as much as he will eat every 3 hours or so. Keep him
warm and don't handle him too much - he needs to sleep as much as he
can. Also, force fluids. Make some chicken broth with plain chicken
and see if he'll drink it. He's not eating partially because he can't
smell the food.

Good luck,
-L.

-L.
November 12th 06, 06:58 AM
2oz wrote:
> Hi, I read your other posts on the subject of shelters, about the one
> dying and the one that is sick.
>
> How old is Charlie, I haven't been keeping up with every post like I
> used to
> I do wish your Charlie well, hows it going?
>
> Far as shelters, Im sure wellness in shelter cats can vary widely
>
> it's amazing! you would think us humans would have a good grasp on the
> concept of sterility and air-borne germs etc... its no put down to
> volunteers and shelters abroad, I am grateful for them all! but... in
> comparison, think about how many folk die of staph infection in
> hospitols.. drug resistant germs...
>
> I'm sure there is a protocol for handling sickly cats, yet... lets be
> honest
> it is very tedious and difficult and a REAL CHALLENGE to quarantine
> germs.
> VERY HARD... no not impossible, but in practice.. it only takes on lazy
> ass
> volunteer to spread some bad **** around the compound if you know what
> I mean

The problem is that cats can be very sick long before they show
symptoms. In my experience, most volunteers unsderstand the importance
of hygiene very well. Since Megan's previous cat was sick it's
possible Charlie even picked the virus up in her house.

> in practice I mean...
>
> I know this to be true because it is easy to see how often humans ****
> up on humans
> (in hospitols)...
>
> so! why would I expect shelter workers to be any more diligent with
> cats? I don't
> and they are not and your testimony is living proof of that fact

That's bull****. Virus particles are spread through the air. There is
no way to sanitize air.

> furthermore
>
> we should
>
> make a nationwide law! every dog and cat in a shelter, who is not
> claimed by it's owner in 10 days, SHALL BE PUT DOWN WITHOUT EXCEPTION

You are nuts.

> there is no pain in their dying
>
> a life not lived is a life not missed

Then you are pro-abortion-rights, then? Um huh...I thought not.

-L.

cybercat
November 12th 06, 06:40 PM
"-L." > wrote
>> make a nationwide law! every dog and cat in a shelter, who is not
>> claimed by it's owner in 10 days, SHALL BE PUT DOWN WITHOUT EXCEPTION
>
> You are nuts.

And that is putting it mildly. :D

>> there is no pain in their dying
>>
>> a life not lived is a life not missed
>
> Then you are pro-abortion-rights, then? Um huh...I thought not.

Hahaha. Please do not burden Barry with logic.

He considers that negaTIVity.

lol

Rhonda
November 12th 06, 07:59 PM
A&A's Mama wrote:
> wrote:
>
>>"A&A's Mama" > wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks to everyone's good thoughts and suggestions. I have bought some
>>>Fancy Feast, some baby food and some Whiskas cat milk
>>
>>I don't know if anyone mentioned this but make sure the baby food does
>>not contain onion as it is toxic to cats.
>
> I did not know that. I will have to look. I bought him chicken and
> rice. I ended up bringing him to the emergency animal hospital. I was
> just so scared. They assured me that he looks and sounds sicker than he
> actually is. They even said that they didn't recommend a chest x-ray at
> this point, b/c they don't feel it's a lung issue right now. So, we
> were told to keep up the antibiotics. When we got home, we got some
> baby food in him via syringe and also from our fingers. He's now
> sleeping in the steamy bathroom.

That's encouraging that the emergency vet didn't think it was too
serious. I hope he's feeling better by now. Sounds like you are taking
great care of him.

Rhonda

2oz
November 15th 06, 03:17 AM
-L. wrote:

> Then you are pro-abortion-rights, then? Um huh...I thought not.
>
> -L.

must not confuze humans with animals (i know that's where you're mixed
up)
anyway...

I won't argue with you about sanitization if there was a cure all then
there would be no drug resistant germs in hospitols <sigh>

we so agree! cept that you came from monkeys what am I going to do with
you

every seen that little statue where a monkey is holding a human skull
<snicker>

about blanket euthanization policy, lets not look for exceptions but
solutions
think of the money that would be saved

why the frick would we even need a vet at a shelter, it should be a
death facility
then we wouldnt have all these watery eyed weak knee'd no lifes boo
hoo'n about poor poor kitties piled up by the untold millions waiting
to be loved

L there is something sobering about wisdom and good choices
something sobering about a man that can be a man... or a woman

we dont need to harbor all these cats and dogs in hopes they will find
a home

oh hell! chalk it up with all the other wasted money
you dont want me on the mic

cybercat
November 15th 06, 04:55 AM
"2oz" > wrote
> why the frick would we even need a vet at a shelter, it should be a
> death facility
> then we wouldnt have all these watery eyed weak knee'd no lifes boo
> hoo'n about poor poor kitties piled up by the untold millions waiting
> to be loved
>
> L there is something sobering about wisdom and good choices
> something sobering about a man that can be a man... or a woman
>
> we dont need to harbor all these cats and dogs in hopes they will find
> a home
>
> oh hell! chalk it up with all the other wasted money
> you dont want me on the mic

There are other ways to get attention than by being a flaming,
idiotic asshole, Barry.

You are stupid.

You are very stupid.

And malicious on top of it.

I am the "watery eyed weak knee'd no lifes boo
hoo'n about poor poor kitties piled up by the untold millions waiting
to be loved"

To whom you refer, and I am telling you here and now that I
am convinced that you are a major, major, SINGLE-EYEBROWED
MORON.

A malicious, cowardly piece of cat **** who can think of nothing
more worthy of ridicule than people who feel sympathy for suffering
animals.

THIS time you don't have to get your little baby balls in a knot
because I told your idiot breeder friend that "anyone with a forebrain
can keep a cat in the house and if you can't you are either stupid or
you don't care," and you assumed I was talking about you.

This time I AM talking about you.

You are a major ****ing idiot. Just this one post alone is all that
is needed to prove it.

Stupid. Slack-jawed, and arrogant on top of it.

Is this what you call

"a man acting like a man?"

Regardless, I will now show you a woman acting like a woman.

(that's my little "no-life" ass walking away.)

Best of luck with the freak show, son.

-L.
November 15th 06, 06:32 AM
cybercat wrote:

> There are other ways to get attention than by being a flaming,
> idiotic asshole, Barry.

Unfortunatly Barry doesn't seem to realize this. I have hope that
someday he will expand his horizons beyond the narrow tunnel he's been
running down. Until then, I'll plant some seeds and hope that someday
he'll go back to the archives and figure out just exactly what the
worth was in what I have been stating. Until then, I won't sweat it.
There are a million "Barrys" in America today. One on every street
corner.

-L.

cybercat
November 15th 06, 08:28 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
ps.com...

> cybercat wrote:
>>
>> There are other ways to get attention than by being a flaming,
>> idiotic asshole, Barry.
>
> Unfortunatly Barry doesn't seem to realize this. I have hope that
> someday he will expand his horizons beyond the narrow tunnel he's been
> running down. Until then, I'll plant some seeds and hope that someday
> he'll go back to the archives and figure out just exactly what the
> worth was in what I have been stating. Until then, I won't sweat it.
> There are a million "Barrys" in America today. One on every street
> corner.

The thing is, it is his CHOICES that keep him down in the dark. It is
always the easy way out. He has the brain and more creativity and talent
than many people.

But the giant chip on his shoulder makes him fall into that idiotic"Proud
to be Poor and Ignorant" "Don't trust book learnin' and Eggheads"
group that I loathe. (I grew up in Baltimore, so I KNOW the type,
ugh. Anti-intellectual arrogant brickheads.)

And his bright mind fell upon relativism ("can't compare apples and
oranges, that's just YOUR opinion") and virtually stopped there. So
any time he is dead wrong and you can demonstrate it, he falls back
on this "reasoning." When in fact, there ARE absolute truths.

But Barry thinks that by turning it all on its head, by glorifying the
bad, wrong, and stupid, he is not only thwarting those who know
better, but he is being "brave and different," a cowboy renegade
or something.

So three quarters of it is ego-related.

If Barry put half the energy into succeeding as he does in to making
excuses for himself and getting ****ed off because his approach to
life makes him look like an ASS, and creating his insulate little
world where What Barry Thinks (regardless of how little it is
grounded in reason or reality) rules, he would be an incredible
man.

But just now, he is laughable. And I am sad to have to say it, but
Barry is essentially exactly what he has made himself.

2oz
November 20th 06, 07:09 AM
cybercat wrote:

> But just now, he is laughable. And I am sad to have to say it, but
> Barry is essentially exactly what he has made himself.

both of you can blow it out your asses

you have no clue what you're talking about, your words are nothing more
than a reed shaken by the wind

can we talk about something intelligent yet? or is there more negative
damaged emotions to come? hmmm?

WHATS IT GONNA BE YOU TWO?

personally I think you two should split 1. a bowl of "fiber 1" and then
split a summers eve or something

not feeling so fresh these days?

2oz
November 20th 06, 07:14 AM
-L. wrote:

> Unfortunatly Barry doesn't seem to realize this. I have hope that
> someday he will expand his horizons beyond the narrow tunnel he's been
> running down. Until then, I'll plant some seeds and hope that someday
> he'll go back to the archives and figure out just exactly what the
> worth was in what I have been stating. Until then, I won't sweat it.
> There are a million "Barrys" in America today. One on every street
> corner.
>
> -L.

aw you're making my pussy ache

wake up one time will ya

go on and give life a shot one time will ya

get the bug outcha ass, live with the choices you have made and stop
bleeding on everybody

cybercat
November 20th 06, 06:53 PM
"2oz" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
>
>> But just now, he is laughable. And I am sad to have to say it, but
>> Barry is essentially exactly what he has made himself.
>
> both of you can blow it out your asses
>
> you have no clue what you're talking about, your words are nothing more
> than a reed shaken by the wind
>
> can we talk about something intelligent yet? or is there more negative
> damaged emotions to come? hmmm?
>
> WHATS IT GONNA BE YOU TWO?
>
> personally I think you two should split 1. a bowl of "fiber 1" and then
> split a summers eve or something
>
> not feeling so fresh these days?

If you didn't make me laugh I would kick your sorry ass.

Don't worry me like that again.

I can tell you're okay because you're acting like your usual asshole self.

-L.
November 20th 06, 11:03 PM
2oz wrote:
> aw you're making my pussy ache

A brain is a terrible thing to waste.

> wake up one time will ya
>
> go on and give life a shot one time will ya
>
> get the bug outcha ass, live with the choices you have made and stop
> bleeding on everybody

It ain't that time a de munt.

-L.

2oz
November 22nd 06, 03:41 AM
-L. wrote:

> It ain't that time a de munt.
>
> -L.

I tell ya one thing, I would trust you with my cat

what if I went on the road full time, do you think you could love lucy?
how would that be? If I went full time, I would want cybercat to look
after Jupiter

Lucy is super sweet yes, very much a lady.. very verbal with her big ol
eyes
but Lucy is ****ed because she came from money and well.. this ain't
Tara
well.. maybe it resembles tarah just after the war.

<puttin' my dew rag on>

"Mammy: You know what trouble I's talkin' 'bout. Mr. Ashley be comin'
to Atlanta when he get's his leave, and you sattin' there waitin' for
him, just like a spider."

Mammy: It makes my blood run cold, the way they've been talking to each
other.

Mammy: It ain't fittin'... it ain't fittin'. It jes' ain't fittin'...
It ain't fittin'.

I SAID I'S GOIN AND GOIN I IS

Matthew
November 22nd 06, 03:57 AM
"2oz" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> -L. wrote:
>
>> It ain't that time a de munt.
>>
>> -L.
>
> I tell ya one thing, I would trust you with my cat
>
> what if I went on the road full time, do you think you could love lucy?
> how would that be? If I went full time, I would want cybercat to look
> after Jupiter
>
> Lucy is super sweet yes, very much a lady.. very verbal with her big ol
> eyes
> but Lucy is ****ed because she came from money and well.. this ain't
> Tara
> well.. maybe it resembles tarah just after the war.
>
> <puttin' my dew rag on>
>
> "Mammy: You know what trouble I's talkin' 'bout. Mr. Ashley be comin'
> to Atlanta when he get's his leave, and you sattin' there waitin' for
> him, just like a spider."
>
> Mammy: It makes my blood run cold, the way they've been talking to each
> other.
>
> Mammy: It ain't fittin'... it ain't fittin'. It jes' ain't fittin'...
> It ain't fittin'.
>
> I SAID I'S GOIN AND GOIN I IS

I see you forget about me ;-)