PDA

View Full Version : Feral Male brings Kitten to My Doorstep

Az
November 11th 06, 09:28 PM
We've been leaving food our for a feral male cat in our neighborhood. He's
youngish, about a year and a half. Today he came strolling up the street
with a kitten in his mouth. He dropped it next to our porch and wandered a
little ways off to sun himself. The kitten is frightened, but ok, other than
some fleas. I'm not sure how to proceed, the kitten looks to be about 5
weeks old.Why would a feral male exhibit such behavior?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Naturally, it needs to be checked over by a vet, but we're in a very rural
area. Can this wait until Mon.?

Lynne
November 11th 06, 10:43 PM
on Sat, 11 Nov 2006 21:28:44 GMT, "Az" > wrote:

> Why would a feral male exhibit such behavior?

Male cats will often exhibit maternal-like behavior with small kittens when
there is no mother around. I think he was taking care of the kitten by
bringing it to you. That's pretty cool.

> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Naturally, it needs to be checked over by a vet, but we're in a very
> rural area. Can this wait until Mon.?

I would think it could wait, unless the kitten is in distress. Is the
kitten eating and drinking?

--
Lynne

"Every once in a while, the tables are turned and we get to share our lives
with an animal who takes care of their human." - Tara, rpdb

Az
November 11th 06, 10:47 PM
Right now it's sleeping. He was pretty freaked out. I'll make a warm mash
for him in a bit and see if he'll take that.