PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas?

CatNipped
November 12th 06, 02:24 PM
Hi guys, it's been a while I know, but RL has socked it to me lately.

I need some ideas about what's going on with Jessie's eyes. Two different
vets (in two different vet practices) have looked at it and said it was
"nothing", and "just sleep", but none of my other cats (except,
occasionally, Demi) get this goop in their eyes. And the fact that it's
reddish-brown worries me. Have any of you seen anything like this? Should
I take her to a *third* vet?

http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Jessie_Eye/

Also, it's been a while since I've posted pictures of my gang, so here's a
whole bunch to make up for my slacking off. To make it easier to see all of
them without a lot of clicking, I made them into a slideshow. There are
some amazing upside-downy head shots of Sammy.

You can really see, in these pictures, that Bandit is now completely blind.
Her pupils are totally dilated even with the flash going off in her face.
She's still happy, healthy, and feisty as hell though, so I'm just very
thankful for that. If, as the vet surmises, it is a tumor on the underside
of the front of her brain, I can only hope that it is a *VERY* slow growing
one that will let me have her for many more years yet. It's hard to believe
that she'll be 17 years old in a few months - I still remember her as the
tiny kitten that used to bounce off my walls!

http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/girls/

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

blkcatgal
November 12th 06, 04:02 PM
My cat used to get this in one eye. Vet thought that it may be a blocked
tear duct. She told me the fact that it was reddish-brown did not mean it
was blood. I can't remember what she told me caused the reddish coloring.
Only way to unblock a tear duct involves anesthetizing the cat. Vet said it
really wasn't a problem and that we shouldn't do anything about it unless we
were going to do some other procedure that involved anesthesia.

It came and went with my cat and we never did anything about it. It didn't
seem to bother my cat either.

Sue
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> Hi guys, it's been a while I know, but RL has socked it to me lately.
>
> I need some ideas about what's going on with Jessie's eyes. Two different
> vets (in two different vet practices) have looked at it and said it was
> "nothing", and "just sleep", but none of my other cats (except,
> occasionally, Demi) get this goop in their eyes. And the fact that it's
> reddish-brown worries me. Have any of you seen anything like this?
> Should I take her to a *third* vet?
>
> http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Jessie_Eye/
>
> Also, it's been a while since I've posted pictures of my gang, so here's a
> whole bunch to make up for my slacking off. To make it easier to see all
> of them without a lot of clicking, I made them into a slideshow. There
> are some amazing upside-downy head shots of Sammy.
>
> You can really see, in these pictures, that Bandit is now completely
> blind. Her pupils are totally dilated even with the flash going off in her
> face. She's still happy, healthy, and feisty as hell though, so I'm just
> very thankful for that. If, as the vet surmises, it is a tumor on the
> underside of the front of her brain, I can only hope that it is a *VERY*
> slow growing one that will let me have her for many more years yet. It's
> hard to believe that she'll be 17 years old in a few months - I still
> remember her as the tiny kitten that used to bounce off my walls!
>
> http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/girls/
>

> --
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
> See all my masters at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

CatNipped
November 12th 06, 04:08 PM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> My cat used to get this in one eye. Vet thought that it may be a blocked
> tear duct. She told me the fact that it was reddish-brown did not mean it
> was blood. I can't remember what she told me caused the reddish coloring.
> Only way to unblock a tear duct involves anesthetizing the cat. Vet said
> it really wasn't a problem and that we shouldn't do anything about it
> unless we were going to do some other procedure that involved anesthesia.
>
> It came and went with my cat and we never did anything about it. It
> didn't seem to bother my cat either.

Thank you, Sue! I know I panic too easily when it comes to my fur-babies,
but this is just really scary and gross looking - I was imagining all sorts
of horrible problems.

Hugs,

CatNipped

> Sue
> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>> Hi guys, it's been a while I know, but RL has socked it to me lately.
>>
>> I need some ideas about what's going on with Jessie's eyes. Two
>> different vets (in two different vet practices) have looked at it and
>> said it was "nothing", and "just sleep", but none of my other cats
>> (except, occasionally, Demi) get this goop in their eyes. And the fact
>> that it's reddish-brown worries me. Have any of you seen anything like
>> this? Should I take her to a *third* vet?
>>
>> http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Jessie_Eye/
>>
>> Also, it's been a while since I've posted pictures of my gang, so here's
>> a whole bunch to make up for my slacking off. To make it easier to see
>> all of them without a lot of clicking, I made them into a slideshow.
>> There are some amazing upside-downy head shots of Sammy.
>>
>> You can really see, in these pictures, that Bandit is now completely
>> blind. Her pupils are totally dilated even with the flash going off in
>> her face. She's still happy, healthy, and feisty as hell though, so I'm
>> just very thankful for that. If, as the vet surmises, it is a tumor on
>> the underside of the front of her brain, I can only hope that it is a
>> *VERY* slow growing one that will let me have her for many more years
>> yet. It's hard to believe that she'll be 17 years old in a few months -
>> I still remember her as the tiny kitten that used to bounce off my walls!
>>
>> http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/girls/
>>

>> --
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
>>
>> See all my masters at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Rhonda
November 12th 06, 07:57 PM
There's a protein in their tears that gets a dark orangy-brown when
dried. I know it freaked me out the first time I saw it -- it was the
first time we had a white-faced cat.

Rhonda

blkcatgal wrote:
> My cat used to get this in one eye. Vet thought that it may be a blocked
> tear duct. She told me the fact that it was reddish-brown did not mean it
> was blood. I can't remember what she told me caused the reddish coloring.
> Only way to unblock a tear duct involves anesthetizing the cat. Vet said it
> really wasn't a problem and that we shouldn't do anything about it unless we
> were going to do some other procedure that involved anesthesia.
>
> It came and went with my cat and we never did anything about it. It didn't
> seem to bother my cat either.
>
> Sue

Patty
November 12th 06, 09:01 PM
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 11:02:52 -0500, blkcatgal wrote:

> My cat used to get this in one eye. Vet thought that it may be a blocked
> tear duct. She told me the fact that it was reddish-brown did not mean it
> was blood. I can't remember what she told me caused the reddish coloring.
> Only way to unblock a tear duct involves anesthetizing the cat. Vet said it
> really wasn't a problem and that we shouldn't do anything about it unless we
> were going to do some other procedure that involved anesthesia.
>
> It came and went with my cat and we never did anything about it. It didn't
> seem to bother my cat either.
>
> Sue

Hi Sue!

Patty
mom to Rusty and Grady

blkcatgal
November 12th 06, 10:34 PM
Pat,
I thought that was you! I saw the message about Grady earlier (I mean how
many Pattys are there with a cat named Grady?) and I even sent an email to
the address below but it didn't go through.

How is Grady? It sounds like hyperthyroidism. Do you have another vet to
consult? I'll email you separately.

Sue

"Patty" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 11:02:52 -0500, blkcatgal wrote:
>
>> My cat used to get this in one eye. Vet thought that it may be a blocked
>> tear duct. She told me the fact that it was reddish-brown did not mean
>> it
>> was blood. I can't remember what she told me caused the reddish
>> coloring.
>> Only way to unblock a tear duct involves anesthetizing the cat. Vet said
>> it
>> really wasn't a problem and that we shouldn't do anything about it unless
>> we
>> were going to do some other procedure that involved anesthesia.
>>
>> It came and went with my cat and we never did anything about it. It
>> didn't
>> seem to bother my cat either.
>>
>> Sue
>
> Hi Sue!
>
> Patty
> mom to Rusty and Grady

Lesley
November 12th 06, 11:28 PM
CatNipped wrote:

> "nothing", and "just sleep", but none of my other cats (except,
> occasionally, Demi) get this goop in their eyes.

Hi CatNipped

Sorry I forgot your birthday!

Sarrasine gets "just sleep" but only in her left eye. Our vet said
nothing to worry about some cats are just like that and only to worry
if it turned green! I just wipe it away gently

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

CatNipped
November 12th 06, 11:39 PM
"Lesley" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> CatNipped wrote:
>
>> "nothing", and "just sleep", but none of my other cats (except,
>> occasionally, Demi) get this goop in their eyes.
>
> Hi CatNipped
>
> Sorry I forgot your birthday!
>
> Sarrasine gets "just sleep" but only in her left eye. Our vet said
> nothing to worry about some cats are just like that and only to worry
> if it turned green! I just wipe it away gently

Thanks Lesley! That's what I've been doing - but it's really gross and
scary! I looked on line and it looks to be conjuctivitis, and like Rhonda
said a protein that will turn it that color.

Hugs,

CatNipped

> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

CatNipped
November 12th 06, 11:45 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> There's a protein in their tears that gets a dark orangy-brown when dried.
> I know it freaked me out the first time I saw it -- it was the first time
> we had a white-faced cat.
>
> Rhonda

Thanks Rhonda, that's the part that was scaring me - I was thinking it was a
bloody discharge!

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

> blkcatgal wrote:
>> My cat used to get this in one eye. Vet thought that it may be a blocked
>> tear duct. She told me the fact that it was reddish-brown did not mean
>> it was blood. I can't remember what she told me caused the reddish
>> coloring. Only way to unblock a tear duct involves anesthetizing the cat.
>> Vet said it really wasn't a problem and that we shouldn't do anything
>> about it unless we were going to do some other procedure that involved
>> anesthesia.
>>
>> It came and went with my cat and we never did anything about it. It
>> didn't seem to bother my cat either.
>>
>> Sue

-L.
November 13th 06, 12:02 AM
CatNipped wrote:
> Hi guys, it's been a while I know, but RL has socked it to me lately.
>
> I need some ideas about what's going on with Jessie's eyes. Two different
> vets (in two different vet practices) have looked at it and said it was
> "nothing", and "just sleep", but none of my other cats (except,
> occasionally, Demi) get this goop in their eyes. And the fact that it's
> reddish-brown worries me. Have any of you seen anything like this? Should
> I take her to a *third* vet?
>
> http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Jessie_Eye/

Looks normal to me. Some cats are just bigger secretors than others.

-L.

Patty
November 13th 06, 12:11 AM
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 17:34:44 -0500, blkcatgal wrote:

> Pat,
> I thought that was you! I saw the message about Grady earlier (I mean how
> many Pattys are there with a cat named Grady?) and I even sent an email to
> the address below but it didn't go through.
>
> How is Grady? It sounds like hyperthyroidism. Do you have another vet to
> consult? I'll email you separately.
>
> Sue

The email I use in NGs is not a real one due to spam issues.

Yeah, the vet said he's tested for thyroid and the test comes back ok. I'm
planning on seeing another vet as soon as I can get in to see him. I'll
call tomorrow.

JoAnn said she's having a similar problem with her cat, she said that first
they diagnosed hyperthyroidism, now they say it's pancreatitis. I just
know I have to get some resolution to this, it's putting the whole house in
turmoil with all this vomiting going on. *sigh*

Patty

Lynne
November 13th 06, 12:25 AM
on Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:39:02 GMT, "CatNipped" >
wrote:

> I looked on line and it looks to be conjuctivitis

It doesn't look like conjunctivitis to me. The discharge with
conjunctivitis is typically yellow or green. He would also have a
red/bloodshot eye, so lift his eyelid and check the color of the whites of
his eyes.

--
Lynne

"Every once in a while, the tables are turned and we get to share our lives
with an animal who takes care of their human." - Tara, rpdb

bluemaxx
November 13th 06, 01:05 AM
The red-brown discoloration is caused by oxygen. The longer the "goop" sits
at her eye, the darker the discoloration becomes. It's caused by a simple
virus that the cat gets as a kitten. Or so my vet told me after exhaustive
testing at Cornell to be positive that the virus was not contagious to other
cats. In my cats case, the symptoms came and went with regularity.

"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> Hi guys, it's been a while I know, but RL has socked it to me lately.
>
> I need some ideas about what's going on with Jessie's eyes. Two different
> vets (in two different vet practices) have looked at it and said it was
> "nothing", and "just sleep", but none of my other cats (except,
> occasionally, Demi) get this goop in their eyes. And the fact that it's
> reddish-brown worries me. Have any of you seen anything like this?
> Should I take her to a *third* vet?
>
> http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Jessie_Eye/

bluemaxx
November 13th 06, 01:11 AM

"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> Hi guys, it's been a while I know, but RL has socked it to me lately.
>
> I need some ideas about what's going on with Jessie's eyes. Two different
> vets (in two different vet practices) have looked at it and said it was
> "nothing", and "just sleep", but none of my other cats (except,
> occasionally, Demi) get this goop in their eyes. And the fact that it's
> reddish-brown worries me. Have any of you seen anything like this?
> Should I take her to a *third* vet?
>
> http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Jessie_Eye/

meeee
November 13th 06, 02:00 AM
AWWWW you have such gorgeous babies. Nice to hear from you and your clowder
again; I always love seeing your photos. One of mine has goopy eyes as
well...pretty normal as far as my vet says! Looks gross but a quick tissue
wipe every day sorts her out. Hope you are well :)
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> Hi guys, it's been a while I know, but RL has socked it to me lately.
>
> I need some ideas about what's going on with Jessie's eyes. Two different
> vets (in two different vet practices) have looked at it and said it was
> "nothing", and "just sleep", but none of my other cats (except,
> occasionally, Demi) get this goop in their eyes. And the fact that it's
> reddish-brown worries me. Have any of you seen anything like this?
> Should I take her to a *third* vet?
>
> http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Jessie_Eye/
>
> Also, it's been a while since I've posted pictures of my gang, so here's a
> whole bunch to make up for my slacking off. To make it easier to see all
> of them without a lot of clicking, I made them into a slideshow. There
> are some amazing upside-downy head shots of Sammy.
>
> You can really see, in these pictures, that Bandit is now completely
> blind. Her pupils are totally dilated even with the flash going off in her
> face. She's still happy, healthy, and feisty as hell though, so I'm just
> very thankful for that. If, as the vet surmises, it is a tumor on the
> underside of the front of her brain, I can only hope that it is a *VERY*
> slow growing one that will let me have her for many more years yet. It's
> hard to believe that she'll be 17 years old in a few months - I still
> remember her as the tiny kitten that used to bounce off my walls!
>
> http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/girls/
>

> --
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
> See all my masters at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

CatNipped
November 13th 06, 02:00 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> CatNipped wrote:
>> Hi guys, it's been a while I know, but RL has socked it to me lately.
>>
>> I need some ideas about what's going on with Jessie's eyes. Two
>> different
>> vets (in two different vet practices) have looked at it and said it was
>> "nothing", and "just sleep", but none of my other cats (except,
>> occasionally, Demi) get this goop in their eyes. And the fact that it's
>> reddish-brown worries me. Have any of you seen anything like this?
>> Should
>> I take her to a *third* vet?
>>
>> http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Jessie_Eye/
>
> Looks normal to me. Some cats are just bigger secretors than others.
>
> -L.

Thanks Lynn! You know that I've had some really bad experience with vets in
the past, so I'm always second guessing them. I'm so glad others here have
seen this - I can breathe a bit easier now.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

CatNipped
November 13th 06, 02:01 PM
"bluemaxx" > wrote in message
. ..
> The red-brown discoloration is caused by oxygen. The longer the "goop"
> sits at her eye, the darker the discoloration becomes. It's caused by a
> simple virus that the cat gets as a kitten. Or so my vet told me after
> exhaustive testing at Cornell to be positive that the virus was not
> contagious to other cats. In my cats case, the symptoms came and went
> with regularity.

I wonder if allergies are involved as it is with itchy, runny eyes in
humans?

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>> Hi guys, it's been a while I know, but RL has socked it to me lately.
>>
>> I need some ideas about what's going on with Jessie's eyes. Two
>> different vets (in two different vet practices) have looked at it and
>> said it was "nothing", and "just sleep", but none of my other cats
>> (except, occasionally, Demi) get this goop in their eyes. And the fact
>> that it's reddish-brown worries me. Have any of you seen anything like
>> this? Should I take her to a *third* vet?
>>
>> http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Jessie_Eye/

CatNipped
November 13th 06, 02:02 PM
"meeee" > wrote in message
> AWWWW you have such gorgeous babies. Nice to hear from you and your
> clowder again; I always love seeing your photos. One of mine has goopy
> eyes as well...pretty normal as far as my vet says! Looks gross but a
> quick tissue wipe every day sorts her out. Hope you are well :)

Thanks! I'm doing a bit better - I'd be doing a *LOT* better if I could
find another job and not have to work 10 - 12 hour days! ;>

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>> Hi guys, it's been a while I know, but RL has socked it to me lately.
>>
>> I need some ideas about what's going on with Jessie's eyes. Two
>> different vets (in two different vet practices) have looked at it and
>> said it was "nothing", and "just sleep", but none of my other cats
>> (except, occasionally, Demi) get this goop in their eyes. And the fact
>> that it's reddish-brown worries me. Have any of you seen anything like
>> this? Should I take her to a *third* vet?
>>
>> http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Jessie_Eye/
>>
>> Also, it's been a while since I've posted pictures of my gang, so here's
>> a whole bunch to make up for my slacking off. To make it easier to see
>> all of them without a lot of clicking, I made them into a slideshow.
>> There are some amazing upside-downy head shots of Sammy.
>>
>> You can really see, in these pictures, that Bandit is now completely
>> blind. Her pupils are totally dilated even with the flash going off in
>> her face. She's still happy, healthy, and feisty as hell though, so I'm
>> just very thankful for that. If, as the vet surmises, it is a tumor on
>> the underside of the front of her brain, I can only hope that it is a
>> *VERY* slow growing one that will let me have her for many more years
>> yet. It's hard to believe that she'll be 17 years old in a few months -
>> I still remember her as the tiny kitten that used to bounce off my walls!
>>
>> http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/girls/
>>

>> --
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
>>
>> See all my masters at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

November 14th 06, 07:33 PM
CatNipped wrote:
> Hi guys, it's been a while I know, but RL has socked it to me lately.
>
> I need some ideas about what's going on with Jessie's eyes. Two different
> vets (in two different vet practices) have looked at it and said it was
> "nothing", and "just sleep", but none of my other cats (except,
> occasionally, Demi) get this goop in their eyes. And the fact that it's
> reddish-brown worries me. Have any of you seen anything like this? Should
> I take her to a *third* vet?
>
> http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Jessie_Eye/
>
> Also, it's been a while since I've posted pictures of my gang, so here's a
> whole bunch to make up for my slacking off. To make it easier to see all of
> them without a lot of clicking, I made them into a slideshow. There are
> some amazing upside-downy head shots of Sammy.
>
> You can really see, in these pictures, that Bandit is now completely blind.
> Her pupils are totally dilated even with the flash going off in her face.
> She's still happy, healthy, and feisty as hell though, so I'm just very
> thankful for that. If, as the vet surmises, it is a tumor on the underside
> of the front of her brain, I can only hope that it is a *VERY* slow growing
> one that will let me have her for many more years yet. It's hard to believe
> that she'll be 17 years old in a few months - I still remember her as the
> tiny kitten that used to bounce off my walls!
>
> http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/girls/
>

> --
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
> See all my masters at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

I have had 2 cats with herpes induced eye problems. Both of them had
lots of upper respiratory problems which goes along with it. If left
untreated complications include ulcers of the eye. It can be treated
with daily doses of l lysine and when there are flares--eyedrops and
axithromycin. My cats had to see an animal eye specialist for
treatment. In fact, McDuffy goes tomorrow for his annual checkup. the
condition can be managed but never cured. You might want to check this
out.