PDA

View Full Version : Megan how is Charlie today?

-L.
November 14th 06, 01:41 AM
Any improvement?

A&A's Mama
November 14th 06, 03:51 AM
-L. wrote:
> Any improvement?

Hi Lyn,

Thanks for asking. Charlie is amazing! He is doing so well. He woke up
this morning all happy and prancing around. I was feeding him his baby
food and then I went to put him in the bathroom with me while I took a
shower. DH had moved his water dish closer to his bed and I put him
next to it. He walked over to where I usually put it and meowed, so I
moved his dihes back. Wouldn't you know that kitty went to town eating
his food and water! I always heard cats were finicky and didn't like
change, LOL. He's still a bit stuffed up, but he's been running around
the house all day following me, giving me kisses and purring again. My
Charlie is a fighter! He's still very thin, under all his fluff, and he
needs to bulk up. He's not liking the wet food at all though.

Megan

cybercat
November 14th 06, 03:53 AM
"A&A's Mama" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> -L. wrote:
>> Any improvement?
>

> Hi Lyn,
>
> Thanks for asking. Charlie is amazing! He is doing so well. He woke up
> this morning all happy and prancing around. I was feeding him his baby
> food and then I went to put him in the bathroom with me while I took a
> shower. DH had moved his water dish closer to his bed and I put him
> next to it. He walked over to where I usually put it and meowed, so I
> moved his dihes back. Wouldn't you know that kitty went to town eating
> his food and water! I always heard cats were finicky and didn't like
> change, LOL. He's still a bit stuffed up, but he's been running around
> the house all day following me, giving me kisses and purring again. My
> Charlie is a fighter! He's still very thin, under all his fluff, and he
> needs to bulk up. He's not liking the wet food at all though.

Wonderful!!

meeee
November 14th 06, 04:19 AM
"A&A's Mama" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> -L. wrote:
>> Any improvement?
>

> Hi Lyn,
>
> Thanks for asking. Charlie is amazing! He is doing so well. He woke up
> this morning all happy and prancing around. I was feeding him his baby
> food and then I went to put him in the bathroom with me while I took a
> shower. DH had moved his water dish closer to his bed and I put him
> next to it. He walked over to where I usually put it and meowed, so I
> moved his dihes back. Wouldn't you know that kitty went to town eating
> his food and water! I always heard cats were finicky and didn't like
> change, LOL. He's still a bit stuffed up, but he's been running around
> the house all day following me, giving me kisses and purring again. My
> Charlie is a fighter! He's still very thin, under all his fluff, and he
> needs to bulk up. He's not liking the wet food at all though.
>
> Megan

Hi Megan!!
So glad to hear Charlie is better again!! Keep up the good work, I hope
everything keeps going well for you and your little fluffball!

-L.
November 14th 06, 08:25 AM
A&A's Mama wrote:
> -L. wrote:
> > Any improvement?
>

> Hi Lyn,
>
> Thanks for asking. Charlie is amazing! He is doing so well. He woke up
> this morning all happy and prancing around. I was feeding him his baby
> food and then I went to put him in the bathroom with me while I took a
> shower. DH had moved his water dish closer to his bed and I put him
> next to it. He walked over to where I usually put it and meowed, so I
> moved his dihes back. Wouldn't you know that kitty went to town eating
> his food and water! I always heard cats were finicky and didn't like
> change, LOL. He's still a bit stuffed up, but he's been running around
> the house all day following me, giving me kisses and purring again. My
> Charlie is a fighter! He's still very thin, under all his fluff, and he
> needs to bulk up. He's not liking the wet food at all though.
>
> Megan

Excellent! Baby food doesn't have a whole lot of nutrition in it, so I
would dry a canned food like Iams Kitten or the Science Diet A/D I
posted about before. Most cats *love* A/D, so you might want to try
it. Get him to eat as much as he wants. he can also have home-cooked
chicken and a bit of lean turkey as long as there are no onions or
onion powder in it.

Good luck and keep us posted!

-L.

A&A's Mama
November 14th 06, 04:09 PM
-L. wrote:
> A&A's Mama wrote:
> > -L. wrote:
> > > Any improvement?
> >

> > Hi Lyn,
> >
> > Thanks for asking. Charlie is amazing! He is doing so well. He woke up
> > this morning all happy and prancing around. I was feeding him his baby
> > food and then I went to put him in the bathroom with me while I took a
> > shower. DH had moved his water dish closer to his bed and I put him
> > next to it. He walked over to where I usually put it and meowed, so I
> > moved his dihes back. Wouldn't you know that kitty went to town eating
> > his food and water! I always heard cats were finicky and didn't like
> > change, LOL. He's still a bit stuffed up, but he's been running around
> > the house all day following me, giving me kisses and purring again. My
> > Charlie is a fighter! He's still very thin, under all his fluff, and he
> > needs to bulk up. He's not liking the wet food at all though.
> >
> > Megan
>
> Excellent! Baby food doesn't have a whole lot of nutrition in it, so I
> would dry a canned food like Iams Kitten or the Science Diet A/D I
> posted about before. Most cats *love* A/D, so you might want to try
> it. Get him to eat as much as he wants. he can also have home-cooked
> chicken and a bit of lean turkey as long as there are no onions or
> onion powder in it.
>
> Good luck and keep us posted!
>
> -L.

FWIW, I asked my cousin, who has been a vet tech for 12 years and is
now an animal control officer, about the onion thing and she said
onions are lethal in birds, but she has never heard of it in cats.

Megan

Lynne
November 14th 06, 04:19 PM
on Tue, 14 Nov 2006 15:09:09 GMT, "A&A's Mama" >
wrote:

> FWIW, I asked my cousin, who has been a vet tech for 12 years and is
> now an animal control officer, about the onion thing and she said
> onions are lethal in birds, but she has never heard of it in cats.

Do a Google search on cats and onions and you will see tons of credible
information about this issue. Onions are definitely toxic to cats.

--
Lynne

-L.
November 14th 06, 05:23 PM
A&A's Mama wrote:
> FWIW, I asked my cousin, who has been a vet tech for 12 years and is
> now an animal control officer, about the onion thing and she said
> onions are lethal in birds, but she has never heard of it in cats.
>
> Megan

I'm surprised she doesn't know about it. It's been in the literature
for over a decade, I think.
It's actually toxic to both cats and dogs. It causes Heinz Body
Anemia. Here is an article from Univ of Georgia vet school:

http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/clerk/Tarigo/

And an excerpt:

"Causes of Heinz Bodies in Cats

There are many substances that induce HzB formation in cats, with or
without the development of anemia including: propofol, acetaminophen,
onions (thiosulfates)..."

Here's a reference she should be able to look up: Robertson JE,
Christopher MM, Rogers QR. Heinz body formation in cats fed baby food
containing onion powder. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 212:1260-1266. 1998.

Heinz body formation in cats fed baby food containing onion powder.

* Robertson JE,
* Christopher MM,
* Rogers QR.

Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital, School of Veterinary Medicine,
University of California, Davis 95616-8734, USA.

ABSTRACT:

OBJECTIVE: To determine whether cats fed baby food with onion powder
develop Heinz bodies and anemia and to establish a dose-response
relation between dietary onion powder content and Heinz body formation.
DESIGN: Prospective study. ANIMALS: 42 healthy, adult,
specific-pathogen-free cats. PROCEDURE: Commercial baby food with and
without onion powder was fed to 2 groups of 6 cats for 5 weeks. Heinz
body percentage, PCV, reticulocyte percentage, turbidity index, and
methemoglobin and reduced glutathione concentrations were determined
twice weekly and then weekly for 4 weeks following removal of the diet.
For the dose-response study, 5 groups of 6 cats were fed a canned diet
for 2 months that contained 0, 0.3, 0.75, 1.5, or 2.5% onion powder.
Heinz body percentage, PCV, and reticulocyte percentage were determined
twice weekly. RESULTS: Compared with cats fed baby food without onion
powder, cats ingesting baby food with onion powder had significantly
higher Heinz body percentages that peaked at 33 to 53%. Methemoglobin
concentration also significantly increased but did not exceed 1.2%.
Glutathione concentration, PCV, and food intake did not differ between
the 2 groups. Rate and degree of Heinz body formation differed
significantly between various onion powder concentrations fed. Compared
with 0% onion powder, the diet with 2.5% onion powder caused a
significant decrease in PCV and an increased punctate reticulocyte
percentage. CLINICAL IMPLICATIONS: Baby food or other foods containing
similar amounts of onion powder should be avoided for use in cats
because of Heinz body formation and the potential for development of
anemia, particularly with high food intake. Cats with diseases
associated with oxidative stress may develop additive hemoglobin damage
when fed baby food containing onion powder."

HTH,
-L.