PDA

View Full Version : How to take care of a newborn cat?

Hannah
November 14th 06, 12:24 PM
I want to know how to take care of a newborn cat?
Can anyone help me?

Wendy
November 14th 06, 01:43 PM
Do you have the mom? If so set her up in a quiet, out of the way spot in a
box with clean towels and let her do her thing. Feed her kitten food as she
will need the extra calories.

If not get some KMR (kitten milk replacer available at Pet Smart and similar
stores), a bottle feeding kit and for the time being, an eyedropper. At
first you might have to let them suck the formula from the eyedropper until
they get large enough to handle the nipples that come with the bottle. The
PetAg bottles and nipples are better to use than the ones they sell at
Walmart. I think the Walmart nipples are too hard for the little ones.

When you feed, keep the kitten upright. Do not hold them the way you would a
human baby because it's too easy for them to aspirate formula in that
position. Do not squeeze the bottle or the eyedropper, let kitty suck the
formula out. The main thing is to keep the kitten from breathing in any
formula. They can develop aspiration pneumonia if they breath in the
formula. Pneumonia is fatal in the majority of very young kittens. If you
see any formula bubbling from the kittens nose, hold it upside down until
all the formula drains out.

The formula can be warmed in the microwave or by placing the bottle in hot
water. Test the temperature by dropping a little on your wrist. It should
feel a little warm but not hot. I usually start out by microwaving the
formula for 10 second and add in increments of 5 seconds until I get the
temperature I want. If the formula gets too hot you can cool it off a bit by
running under tap water. The nipples don't have holes in them when you buy
them so you might want to contact a vet or a rescue group to see if they can
help you get the right size hole in the nipple. Too small and the kitten
gets tired and frustrated and won't nurse. Too big and you drown the kitty.

Keep the kitten warm. Set the kitten up in a box with clean towels. They
sell disks that can be warmed in the microwave and placed under a towel that
are supposed to stay warm for 12 hours IIRC. You can also use a heating pad
on the lowest setting but make sure there is room for the kitten to squirm
off the pad if it gets too warm. Put a thick towel between the pad and the
kitten.

You will have to stimulate the kitten's bum to get it to go to the bathroom.
Tiny kittens don't do this well on their own so this is very important to
do. I usually stimulate before and again after a feeding. Take a moistened
cotton ball and wipe the 'parts'. The kitten should urinate very quickly. It
may not poop right away and might not do that more than once a day anyway.
If the kitten hasn't pooped after you have stimulated for 60 seconds then
they won't at that time. Don't get upset if it doesn't poop the first or
second day. If it hasn't gone after 2 days call the vet. If the kitten
doesn't urinate when you stimulate it, call the vet. After the kitten has
done it's business clean it up with a damp warm washcloth. Use short strokes
and wipe any formula and urine/poop off of it. It's important to do this not
only to avoid skin irritation that will happen if this stuff is left on the
kitten but also to teach the kitten to groom itself. You are now the momma
so you have to teach kitty all the things that the mom normally would. If
kitty gets really messy you can give it a bath with warm water but make sure
to dry it completely afterwards. A hairdryer on low can be used to dry
kitty.

http://www.21cats.org/kitten.html
http://www.kittenrescue.org/handbook.htm
http://cathelp-online.com/health/kitten3.php
The links have more information.

Good luck with your little one.

"Hannah" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I want to know how to take care of a newborn cat?
> Can anyone help me?

Lynne
November 14th 06, 03:39 PM
on Tue, 14 Nov 2006 13:43:49 GMT, "Wendy" > wrote:

> The formula can be warmed in the microwave or by placing the bottle in
> hot water.

be careful microwaving formula. Microwaves cook from the center outward,
so the bottle can develop hot spots in the center that may not be
noticeable. If you use a microwave, shake the formula before testing the
temperature.

Setting the bottle in a bowl of hot tap water will also warm it, safely and
quickly--especially given the small amount of formula you will be feeding a
kitten.

--
Lynne

Wendy
November 14th 06, 10:22 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> on Tue, 14 Nov 2006 13:43:49 GMT, "Wendy" > wrote:
>
>> The formula can be warmed in the microwave or by placing the bottle in
>> hot water.
>
> be careful microwaving formula. Microwaves cook from the center outward,
> so the bottle can develop hot spots in the center that may not be
> noticeable. If you use a microwave, shake the formula before testing the
> temperature.
>
> Setting the bottle in a bowl of hot tap water will also warm it, safely
> and
> quickly--especially given the small amount of formula you will be feeding
> kitten.
>
> --
> Lynne

Yea I'm usually doing a full bottle for a litter so the 10 seconds in the
microwave (and yes then shake to achieve a consistent temperature throughout
the entire bottle) is a good starting point. If one is putting less in the
bottle then the time would have to be adjusted.

nocturnal874
November 15th 06, 05:13 PM
Hannah wrote:
> I want to know how to take care of a newborn cat?
> Can anyone help me?

I also have a new kitten. About.com is offering free course on feline
care. I find it quite
informative. Hope this helps