PDA

View Full Version : Oral hygiene chews for cats.

Wayne
November 14th 06, 09:11 PM
We are paying a small fortune at the vet's for cat chews. (about $.50 each).
The cat was a stray that needed a lot of special care to recover and these
are easy on his system.
They are cylindrical with the diameter of a man's little finger and about
1.5 inches long (4cm). They are large enough that the cat has to chew them
rather than swallow whole and they are chewy so his teeth sink into them.
They are supposed to clean his teeth.

The brand is Virbac CET oral hygiene chews for cats.
The ingredients are freeze-dried fish,dextrose,antioxidants, ascorbic
acid,natural flavour and citric acid,glucose oxidase, and dried whey
protein.

My question is--Does anyone have a home made recipe for this sort of thing?

Thanks

Wayne
Ottawa, Canada

---MIKE---
November 15th 06, 12:37 AM
Try Friskies Dental Diet. They are round but large enough to encourage
chewing. They are also very inexpensive. They are in most
supermarkets.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

barb
November 15th 06, 04:16 PM
One time the vet gave me a box of some kind of dental stuff. The three cats
loved them but one of them would get sick on them. Just as well-they would
have come to a small fortune.

Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

Phil P.
November 17th 06, 10:14 AM
"Wayne" > wrote in message
> We are paying a small fortune at the vet's for cat chews. (about $.50
each).
> The cat was a stray that needed a lot of special care to recover and these
> are easy on his system.
> They are cylindrical with the diameter of a man's little finger and about
> 1.5 inches long (4cm). They are large enough that the cat has to chew them
> rather than swallow whole and they are chewy so his teeth sink into them.
> They are supposed to clean his teeth.
>
> The brand is Virbac CET oral hygiene chews for cats.
> The ingredients are freeze-dried fish,dextrose,antioxidants, ascorbic
> acid,natural flavour and citric acid,glucose oxidase, and dried whey
> protein.
>
> My question is--Does anyone have a home made recipe for this sort of
thing?

> Thanks
>
> Wayne
> Ottawa, Canada

Pick up a small 4 lb bag of Hill's Prescription Diet t/d. The nuggets are
large so the cats teeth can sink all the way down to the gum line (where all
the problems begin). The nuggets are also hard but not brittle and don't
shatter when the cat bits into them- so there's plenty of abrasive action
against the teeth.

If you give him a few nuggets every day the bag will last ~2 months- just be
sure to squeeze out all the air and seal the bag. Or better still: break
down the bag into several small freezer bags and throw them in the fridge.
Take a bag out of the fridge when the working bag is half empty. Let the
bag warm up to room temperature for a day- don't give him cold nuggets- they
won't smell or taste as good.

Phil