PDA

View Full Version : my cat is acting crazy

mogandfritz
November 14th 06, 09:46 PM
I am dumbfounded any help would be great. I have two cats, a 5 year old and
3 years old. The older is a male, the younger a female. They are both fixed.
In the past two days my younger cat has been acting strange. One second she
will act normal and loving towards my other cat the next second I turn my
back and she is literally screaming at him. I have never seen or heard her
act like this. I have checked her and see know injuries on her body. She is
eating and using the bathroom. I should note that they usually are best
friends spending practically every minute together, but in the last few days
I have kept them in separate rooms. Any ideas?

cybercat
November 15th 06, 01:15 AM
"mogandfritz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I am dumbfounded any help would be great. I have two cats, a 5 year old
>and
> 3 years old. The older is a male, the younger a female. They are both
> fixed.
> In the past two days my younger cat has been acting strange. One second
> she
> will act normal and loving towards my other cat the next second I turn my
> back and she is literally screaming at him. I have never seen or heard
> her
> act like this. I have checked her and see know injuries on her body. She
> is
> eating and using the bathroom. I should note that they usually are best
> friends spending practically every minute together, but in the last few
> days
> I have kept them in separate rooms. Any ideas?

Well, has be been acting like an asshole lately? Because she sounds like me
and my friend Barry.

Just kidding.

Are there windows she can see out of where she might see another cat and
take it out on your boy? Something called "misdirected aggression?"

dgk
November 15th 06, 01:30 AM
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:15:44 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"mogandfritz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>>I am dumbfounded any help would be great. I have two cats, a 5 year old
>>and
>> 3 years old. The older is a male, the younger a female. They are both
>> fixed.
>> In the past two days my younger cat has been acting strange. One second
>> she
>> will act normal and loving towards my other cat the next second I turn my
>> back and she is literally screaming at him. I have never seen or heard
>> her
>> act like this. I have checked her and see know injuries on her body. She
>> is
>> eating and using the bathroom. I should note that they usually are best
>> friends spending practically every minute together, but in the last few
>> days
>> I have kept them in separate rooms. Any ideas?
>>

>Well, has be been acting like an asshole lately? Because she sounds like me
>and my friend Barry.
>
>Just kidding.
>
>Are there windows she can see out of where she might see another cat and
>take it out on your boy? Something called "misdirected aggression?"

That's what I was going to say. Our favorite felines are fairly
stupid. They'll see another cat and hiss at their friend. It's like
they don't even recognize them. Something like that seem to be going
on. Did one go to the vet? That sometimes is a trigger. Strange smells
freak them out.

Buddy's Mom
November 15th 06, 01:31 AM
You didn't say that your kitties are neutered????

mogandfritz wrote:
> I am dumbfounded any help would be great. I have two cats, a 5 year old and
> 3 years old. The older is a male, the younger a female. They are both fixed.
> In the past two days my younger cat has been acting strange. One second she
> will act normal and loving towards my other cat the next second I turn my
> back and she is literally screaming at him. I have never seen or heard her
> act like this. I have checked her and see know injuries on her body. She is
> eating and using the bathroom. I should note that they usually are best
> friends spending practically every minute together, but in the last few days
> I have kept them in separate rooms. Any ideas?

Lynne
November 15th 06, 01:43 AM
on Wed, 15 Nov 2006 01:31:57 GMT, "Buddy's Mom" >
wrote:

> You didn't say that your kitties are neutered????
>

> mogandfritz wrote:
>> I am dumbfounded any help would be great. I have two cats, a 5 year
>> old and 3 years old. The older is a male, the younger a female.
>> They are both fixed.

She did, you just missed it.

I wonder if this strange behavior is a female cat thing? There have a been
a few posts like this recently, but I've never seen anything like this with
any of my cats (all male).

--
Lynne

"Every once in a while, the tables are turned and we get to share our lives
with an animal who takes care of their human." - Tara, rpdb

mogandfritz
November 15th 06, 03:00 AM
thanks for the help so far...i feel like her behavior came out of nowhere...
although just about an hour ago i noticed my male cat urinating on the floor,
just a small amount like he is marking his territory. he is neutered, aren't
they supposed to stop that? i have also noticed he goes to the litter box
constantly, this isn't normal...the thing is i dont know if my other cat's
crazy behavior is a result of her own hormones or maybe it is a response to
him.

Lynne wrote:
>on Wed, 15 Nov 2006 01:31:57 GMT, "Buddy's Mom" >
>wrote:
>
>> You didn't say that your kitties are neutered????
>>
>>> I am dumbfounded any help would be great. I have two cats, a 5 year
>>> old and 3 years old. The older is a male, the younger a female.
>>> They are both fixed.
>
>She did, you just missed it.
>
>I wonder if this strange behavior is a female cat thing? There have a been
>a few posts like this recently, but I've never seen anything like this with
>any of my cats (all male).

William Hamblen
November 15th 06, 03:25 AM
On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 03:00:37 GMT, "mogandfritz" <[email protected]> wrote:

>thanks for the help so far...i feel like her behavior came out of nowhere...
>although just about an hour ago i noticed my male cat urinating on the floor,
>just a small amount like he is marking his territory. he is neutered, aren't
>they supposed to stop that? i have also noticed he goes to the litter box
>constantly, this isn't normal...the thing is i dont know if my other cat's
>crazy behavior is a result of her own hormones or maybe it is a response to
>him.

It is a likely to be a urinary tract infection. They come on quickly.
The cat has urgency and incontinence caused by irritation of the
urinary tract. UTIs can trigger spraying behavior. Take the cat to
the vet. They'll check the urine, and blood if called for, and
prescribe treatment. Usually antiboitics clear up a simple infection.

Bud
--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.

Lynne
November 15th 06, 10:13 PM
on Wed, 15 Nov 2006 03:25:15 GMT, William Hamblen >
wrote:

> It is a likely to be a urinary tract infection. They come on quickly.
> The cat has urgency and incontinence caused by irritation of the
> urinary tract. UTIs can trigger spraying behavior. Take the cat to
> the vet. They'll check the urine, and blood if called for, and
> prescribe treatment. Usually antiboitics clear up a simple infection.

yep! And an infection might explain why the other cat is behaving
strangely. Infections smell awful, and even though a person probably can't
smell a UTI in a cat, I think another cat may be able to smell it just
fine.

--
Lynne

"Every once in a while, the tables are turned and we get to share our lives
with an animal who takes care of their human." - Tara, rpdb

Wendy
November 16th 06, 02:41 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Wed, 15 Nov 2006 03:25:15 GMT, William Hamblen >
> wrote:
>
>> It is a likely to be a urinary tract infection. They come on quickly.
>> The cat has urgency and incontinence caused by irritation of the
>> urinary tract. UTIs can trigger spraying behavior. Take the cat to
>> the vet. They'll check the urine, and blood if called for, and
>> prescribe treatment. Usually antiboitics clear up a simple infection.
>>

> yep! And an infection might explain why the other cat is behaving
> strangely. Infections smell awful, and even though a person probably
> can't
> smell a UTI in a cat, I think another cat may be able to smell it just
> fine.
>
> --
> Lynne

I hope the OP has contacted the vet by now about the boy peeing outside the
box. Urinary tract problems can be very dangerous in the boys.

Catjoy via CatKB.com
November 16th 06, 04:12 PM
Hi mogandfritz,

This sounds a lot like UTI/urinary tract infection. Please take the cat to
the vet ASAP to rule in/out UTI. UTI's are very uncomfortable and painful
for the cat. Let us know what happens and good luck.

Wendy wrote:
>> on Wed, 15 Nov 2006 03:25:15 GMT, William Hamblen >
>> wrote:
>[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]
>> smell a UTI in a cat, I think another cat may be able to smell it just
>> fine.
>
>I hope the OP has contacted the vet by now about the boy peeing outside the
>box. Urinary tract problems can be very dangerous in the boys.

mogandfritz via CatKB.com
November 16th 06, 11:04 PM
thanks for all your help, cant believe i didnt even think of an UTI i
scheduled an appt with the vet. it does make sense now because i think in
the end it is him possibly acting even stranger than the female.

Catjoy wrote:
>Hi mogandfritz,
>
>This sounds a lot like UTI/urinary tract infection. Please take the cat to
>the vet ASAP to rule in/out UTI. UTI's are very uncomfortable and painful
>for the cat. Let us know what happens and good luck.
>
>>> on Wed, 15 Nov 2006 03:25:15 GMT, William Hamblen >
>>> wrote:
>[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]

mogandfritz via CatKB.com
November 21st 06, 11:36 PM
I finally got him into the vet today and sure enough it is a UTI, he got a
couple shots and some antibiotics and anti inflammatorys so i hope this helps.
Thanks for all the advice!!!

Catjoy wrote
>Hi mogandfritz,
>
>This sounds a lot like UTI/urinary tract infection. Please take the cat to
>the vet ASAP to rule in/out UTI. UTI's are very uncomfortable and painful
>for the cat. Let us know what happens and good luck.
>
>>> on Wed, 15 Nov 2006 03:25:15 GMT, William Hamblen >
>>> wrote:
>[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]

Wendy
November 28th 06, 04:30 PM
Keep an eye on this guy. A change in diet might be required if it happens
again.

"mogandfritz via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I finally got him into the vet today and sure enough it is a UTI, he got a
> couple shots and some antibiotics and anti inflammatorys so i hope this
> helps.
> Thanks for all the advice!!!
>

> Catjoy wrote
>>Hi mogandfritz,
>>
>>This sounds a lot like UTI/urinary tract infection. Please take the cat
>>the vet ASAP to rule in/out UTI. UTI's are very uncomfortable and painful
>>for the cat. Let us know what happens and good luck.

>>[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]

mogandfritz via CatKB.com
November 29th 06, 01:53 AM
hey since i am soliciting such good advice :) any thoughts on the best way to
give cats pills? i have been giving them to him for almost a week and he is
only getting wiser and harder to handle when i give them to him...

Wendy wrote:
>Keep an eye on this guy. A change in diet might be required if it happens
>again.

>>I finally got him into the vet today and sure enough it is a UTI, he got a
>> couple shots and some antibiotics and anti inflammatorys so i hope this
>[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]

Matthew
November 29th 06, 02:02 AM
You can get pill pockets from the pet store you can hide their medication in
it and they think they are getting a treat. till they get wise like my
rumble who bites the pocket in half and spits out the pill. Than it is back
to the man handling

"mogandfritz via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> hey since i am soliciting such good advice :) any thoughts on the best way
> give cats pills? i have been giving them to him for almost a week and he
> is
> only getting wiser and harder to handle when i give them to him...
>

> Wendy wrote:
>>Keep an eye on this guy. A change in diet might be required if it happens
>>again.

>>>I finally got him into the vet today and sure enough it is a UTI, he got
>>> couple shots and some antibiotics and anti inflammatorys so i hope this
>>[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]

November 29th 06, 02:33 AM
"mogandfritz via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> hey since i am soliciting such good advice :) any thoughts on the best way
> give cats pills? i have been giving them to him for almost a week and he
> is
> only getting wiser and harder to handle when i give them to him...

I feed my cats canned food, which they really love. I have to pill
Boo twice a day, two "half pills" each time. What I do is put
her canned food down, let her take a few bites, then lift her
head and open her mouth placing the fingers of my left hand
gently inside the hinge of her jaw and toss the pills to the
back center of her mouth, and hold her head up and mouth
closed until I see that she swallows. She obliges because she is
so eager to get back to the food.

(Back center is important, because otherwise she can work the
pills around to the front with her tongue and spit them out.)