PDA

View Full Version : Male cat acting like he's in heat

Elvis Fan
November 15th 06, 10:32 PM
OK, I know males don't go in heat....but, this has
me puzzled.
About 3 weeks ago a little stray half starved cat came to my
door and I fed it.
He kept coming back, and then it turned cold so I let him come
inside.

I already have a 7 year old 20lb neutered Maine Coon and he and the
youngster seemed to get along ok.

Today, all hell broke loose! The little one, who seems to be anywhere
from 4-6 months old began howling, cooing, swimming along the carpet
and acting just like a female in heat.

My older cat was not amused and attacked and tried to kill! He kept
biting the little one on his back and I had a hard time breaking it up.

So, my question is: why would a male act this way?

PawsForThought
November 16th 06, 01:21 AM
Elvis Fan wrote:

> So, my question is: why would a male act this way?

You're sure he's a male? :) Seriously though, I would take him in for
neutering and a vet checkup. Congrats on your new kitty.

Wendy
November 16th 06, 01:36 AM
The biting on the back might be what males normally do during mating. Mating
cats are actually rather violent. The male bites the female (not drawing
blood) on the back and the neck during mating and the female beats the sh*t
out of him afterwards. Then they go lick their 'wounds' and go at it again
later. Who's to figure cats.

I'd take your half starved stray to the vet and see about setting up a time
to get him/her spayed or neutered. The vet can determine exactly what you
have there.

"Elvis Fan" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> OK, I know males don't go in heat....but, this has
> me puzzled.
> About 3 weeks ago a little stray half starved cat came to my
> door and I fed it.
> He kept coming back, and then it turned cold so I let him come
> inside.
>
> I already have a 7 year old 20lb neutered Maine Coon and he and the
> youngster seemed to get along ok.
>
> Today, all hell broke loose! The little one, who seems to be anywhere
> from 4-6 months old began howling, cooing, swimming along the carpet
> and acting just like a female in heat.
>
> My older cat was not amused and attacked and tried to kill! He kept
> biting the little one on his back and I had a hard time breaking it up.
>
> So, my question is: why would a male act this way?

Elvis Fan
November 16th 06, 01:59 AM
Wendy wrote:
> The biting on the back might be what males normally do during mating. Mating
> cats are actually rather violent. The male bites the female (not drawing
> blood) on the back and the neck during mating and the female beats the sh*t
> out of him afterwards. Then they go lick their 'wounds' and go at it again
> later. Who's to figure cats.
>
> I'd take your half starved stray to the vet and see about setting up a time
> to get him/her spayed or neutered. The vet can determine exactly what you
> have there.

> "Elvis Fan" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > OK, I know males don't go in heat....but, this has
> > me puzzled.
> > About 3 weeks ago a little stray half starved cat came to my
> > door and I fed it.
> > He kept coming back, and then it turned cold so I let him come
> > inside.
> >
> > I already have a 7 year old 20lb neutered Maine Coon and he and the
> > youngster seemed to get along ok.
> >
> > Today, all hell broke loose! The little one, who seems to be anywhere
> > from 4-6 months old began howling, cooing, swimming along the carpet
> > and acting just like a female in heat.
> >
> > My older cat was not amused and attacked and tried to kill! He kept
> > biting the little one on his back and I had a hard time breaking it up.
> >
> > So, my question is: why would a male act this way?

Thank you very much.
I took my hubby's word for the fact that it
was a male, but now I think he made a major
boo-boo.
Assuming she is a female I'm still wondering why she's
so tiny, maybe 3 or 4 lbs and still be in heat.
I suppose her growth may have been stunted by lack
of proper nutrition.
But, she doesn't look much older than 6 months old.
We'll be going to the vet very soon.

cybercat
November 16th 06, 02:23 AM
"Elvis Fan" > wrote

> Thank you very much.
> I took my hubby's word for the fact that it
> was a male, but now I think he made a major
> boo-boo.

HAhaha! This is really cute. This one had me worried!
I am glad there is a simple solution.

> Assuming she is a female I'm still wondering why she's
> so tiny, maybe 3 or 4 lbs and still be in heat.
> I suppose her growth may have been stunted by lack
> of proper nutrition.
> But, she doesn't look much older than 6 months old.
> We'll be going to the vet very soon.

Strays and ferals are often like that, smaller than average
because their mom's did not get proper nutrition etc.

I am really glad you are helping this baby. And I am really
glad your male, whom she is all hubba-hubba for, is
fixed!! ;)

meeee
November 16th 06, 04:27 AM
"Elvis Fan" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Wendy wrote:
>> The biting on the back might be what males normally do during mating.
>> Mating
>> cats are actually rather violent. The male bites the female (not drawing
>> blood) on the back and the neck during mating and the female beats the
>> sh*t
>> out of him afterwards. Then they go lick their 'wounds' and go at it
>> again
>> later. Who's to figure cats.
>>
>> I'd take your half starved stray to the vet and see about setting up a
>> time
>> to get him/her spayed or neutered. The vet can determine exactly what you
>> have there.

>> "Elvis Fan" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > OK, I know males don't go in heat....but, this has
>> > me puzzled.
>> > About 3 weeks ago a little stray half starved cat came to my
>> > door and I fed it.
>> > He kept coming back, and then it turned cold so I let him come
>> > inside.
>> >
>> > I already have a 7 year old 20lb neutered Maine Coon and he and the
>> > youngster seemed to get along ok.
>> >
>> > Today, all hell broke loose! The little one, who seems to be anywhere
>> > from 4-6 months old began howling, cooing, swimming along the carpet
>> > and acting just like a female in heat.
>> >
>> > My older cat was not amused and attacked and tried to kill! He kept
>> > biting the little one on his back and I had a hard time breaking it up.
>> >
>> > So, my question is: why would a male act this way?
>> >

> Thank you very much.
> I took my hubby's word for the fact that it
> was a male, but now I think he made a major
> boo-boo.
> Assuming she is a female I'm still wondering why she's
> so tiny, maybe 3 or 4 lbs and still be in heat.
> I suppose her growth may have been stunted by lack
> of proper nutrition.
> But, she doesn't look much older than 6 months old.
> We'll be going to the vet very soon.

Female cats can hit puberty at 5 months, and you could be correct in
thinking she might be small for her age....ex-strays often are due to lack
of nutrition as kittens.

Lesley via CatKB.com
November 16th 06, 11:37 AM
cybercat wrote:
>Strays and ferals are often like that, smaller than average
>because their mom's did not get proper nutrition etc.

The Fabulous Furballs mum was a semi feral who was being fed by a kind lady
who took pity on her best she was so small and they are also small possibly
for the above reason. At 3 years old I can pick both of them up at once and
people think they must be kittens and still growing

Still good things come in small packages

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Elvis Fan
November 16th 06, 03:29 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "Elvis Fan" > wrote
> >
> > Thank you very much.
> > I took my hubby's word for the fact that it
> > was a male, but now I think he made a major
> > boo-boo.
>
> HAhaha! This is really cute. This one had me worried!
> I am glad there is a simple solution.
>

> > Assuming she is a female I'm still wondering why she's
> > so tiny, maybe 3 or 4 lbs and still be in heat.
> > I suppose her growth may have been stunted by lack
> > of proper nutrition.
> > But, she doesn't look much older than 6 months old.
> > We'll be going to the vet very soon.
> >

> Strays and ferals are often like that, smaller than average
> because their mom's did not get proper nutrition etc.
>
> I am really glad you are helping this baby. And I am really
> glad your male, whom she is all hubba-hubba for, is
> fixed!! ;)

I have already contacted the Humane Society and they
have told me how to come in and fill out the application
for a discount spay/neuter from a list of vets that they
will provide.
My own vet for my Maine Coon has raised her prices
through the roof.

This little cat was exceptionally clean, no fleas or ear mites,
no worm symptoms, clear eyes, etc.

She is extremely affectionate, even before her hormones
kicked in.
When I am on the sofa with my laptop she jumps up and
crawls on my chest and lays her head down while her hind
legs are dangling, it's so cute.

She eats like a horse and I can only feed her small amounts
frequently or she would keep eating until she exploded.
I also have to feed my MC in the bathroom or she would
eat his food too.

They are quite a pair and I think having a playmate will be
so beneficial for my 20 pounder.......he's actually getting some
exercise now!

I've been reading this group for years and I appreciate all of
the knowledge that's here.

Thanks again!

Catjoy via CatKB.com
November 16th 06, 05:21 PM
Awwww! She sounds like such a sweetie. :) Congratulations, and I am glad
to hear that you are keeping her..who knows what her fate might have been had
you not taken her in. Just another little tidbit of advice, when you get her
seen by the Humane Society, I'd recommend you get her tested for FIV and
feline leukemia as well.

All the best,
Jan

Elvis Fan wrote:
>> > Thank you very much.
>> > I took my hubby's word for the fact that it
>[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]
>> glad your male, whom she is all hubba-hubba for, is
>> fixed!! ;)
>
>I have already contacted the Humane Society and they
>have told me how to come in and fill out the application
>for a discount spay/neuter from a list of vets that they
>will provide.
>My own vet for my Maine Coon has raised her prices
>through the roof.
>
>This little cat was exceptionally clean, no fleas or ear mites,
>no worm symptoms, clear eyes, etc.
>
>She is extremely affectionate, even before her hormones
>kicked in.
>When I am on the sofa with my laptop she jumps up and
>crawls on my chest and lays her head down while her hind
>legs are dangling, it's so cute.
>
>She eats like a horse and I can only feed her small amounts
>frequently or she would keep eating until she exploded.
>I also have to feed my MC in the bathroom or she would
>eat his food too.
>
>They are quite a pair and I think having a playmate will be
>so beneficial for my 20 pounder.......he's actually getting some
>exercise now!
>
>I've been reading this group for years and I appreciate all of
>the knowledge that's here.
>
>Thanks again!

William Hamblen
November 16th 06, 11:28 PM
On 15 Nov 2006 16:59:34 -0800, "Elvis Fan" > wrote:

>But, she doesn't look much older than 6 months old.

Six months old is old enough for a female cat to come into season.

Cats mating sound like they're killing each other, but all that
happens is that you get more kittens.

Bud
--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.