PDA

View Full Version : Help! My new kitty just diagnosed with Leukemia


Just Me
November 18th 06, 12:03 AM
I'm wondering if anyone else has been through this. I adopted a cat that my
former neighbor brought home from work. Said kitty had been abused and so
he decided to take it home but then he moved away and I took the kitty in,
albeit I have two adult cats. Kitten is about four months old or more.
He's small but not a teeny tiny kitten. He has been having diarrhea since I
got him so I took him in to the vet and they said he had roundworm and
prescribed medicine. Also gave him a booster shot. He started acting
different after the second booster and last pill for roundworms. He just
lies on the couch curled up and doesn't have the pep he had before.

I don't know if kitty caught the leukemia at the vet's office or maybe there
was something in the booster. I know he is acting very different. He had
been very playful with my other cat and always jumped up on my bed so I
could hold him and pet him. He is still eating good.

He has a temperature of 105. The last time his temp was taken it was 101.
That was a few weeks ago. I will have another blood test that determines if
leukemia is fatal or if it can be treated.

I am so sad. I love this cat so much. Is there any home remedies I could
try to see if I can get him through this. Any help is appreciated. Thank
you.

MoMo via CatKB.com
November 18th 06, 12:16 AM
How long ago did he get this last booster shot?

Just Me wrote:
>I'm wondering if anyone else has been through this. I adopted a cat that my
>former neighbor brought home from work. Said kitty had been abused and so
>he decided to take it home but then he moved away and I took the kitty in,
>albeit I have two adult cats. Kitten is about four months old or more.
>He's small but not a teeny tiny kitten. He has been having diarrhea since I
>got him so I took him in to the vet and they said he had roundworm and
>prescribed medicine. Also gave him a booster shot. He started acting
>different after the second booster and last pill for roundworms. He just
>lies on the couch curled up and doesn't have the pep he had before.
>
>I don't know if kitty caught the leukemia at the vet's office or maybe there
>was something in the booster. I know he is acting very different. He had
>been very playful with my other cat and always jumped up on my bed so I
>could hold him and pet him. He is still eating good.
>
>He has a temperature of 105. The last time his temp was taken it was 101.
>That was a few weeks ago. I will have another blood test that determines if
>leukemia is fatal or if it can be treated.
>
>I am so sad. I love this cat so much. Is there any home remedies I could
>try to see if I can get him through this. Any help is appreciated. Thank
>you.

--
Message posted via http://www.catkb.com

Catjoy via CatKB.com
November 19th 06, 08:39 PM
Hi,

First of all, I am very sorry to hear that your kitty's test results came
back positive for leukemia.

A few questions for you:

When was the kitty tested for Felv (leukemia)? Was it right after the second
booster? What kind of test was it/name of the test?

What is this blood test that you are referring to that will determine if the
Felv will be fatal or treatable?

With cats with felv, if you give them a particular shot, some can actually
develop the actual disease they were innoculated for (i.e. calicivirus/cat
cold), because their immune system is compromised. Because your cat is Felv+,
I would highly recommend against getting any further shots, if your vet
hasn't stopped already. Vaccinations are supposed to be administered on
healthy animals.

Also, this is hard enough without this factor added in, but you should know
that Felv is contagious (if you don't already know this), and talk to the vet
about managing the virus if possible, as you have two other adult cats. I
would recommend a feline-only vet, if available in your area, but there are
obviously some good general vets as well. Because Felv is a serious disease,
it's important to have a good vet that you communicate well with.

Also, if you check on yahoo.com, search under yahoo groups for feline
leukemia. They have some great groups on Felv, and some very knowledgable
people who have dealt with this disease.

My heart really goes out to you. I hope to hear from you soon, and all the
best you and your cats.

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200611/1

Just Me
November 20th 06, 01:53 AM
He got it about 9 days ago.


"MoMo via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> How long ago did he get this last booster shot?
>
> Just Me wrote:
> >I'm wondering if anyone else has been through this. I adopted a cat that
my
> >former neighbor brought home from work. Said kitty had been abused and
so
> >he decided to take it home but then he moved away and I took the kitty
in,
> >albeit I have two adult cats. Kitten is about four months old or more.
> >He's small but not a teeny tiny kitten. He has been having diarrhea
since I
> >got him so I took him in to the vet and they said he had roundworm and
> >prescribed medicine. Also gave him a booster shot. He started acting
> >different after the second booster and last pill for roundworms. He just
> >lies on the couch curled up and doesn't have the pep he had before.
> >
> >I don't know if kitty caught the leukemia at the vet's office or maybe
there
> >was something in the booster. I know he is acting very different. He
had
> >been very playful with my other cat and always jumped up on my bed so I
> >could hold him and pet him. He is still eating good.
> >
> >He has a temperature of 105. The last time his temp was taken it was
101.
> >That was a few weeks ago. I will have another blood test that determines
if
> >leukemia is fatal or if it can be treated.
> >
> >I am so sad. I love this cat so much. Is there any home remedies I
could
> >try to see if I can get him through this. Any help is appreciated.
Thank
> >you.
>
> --
> Message posted via http://www.catkb.com
>

Just Me
November 20th 06, 11:44 PM
I got word today that my little guy has tested positive for leukemia. He
could have a few weeks or a few years. He is on a 21 day regimen of
antibiotics and he has been doing well. He's eating good and walking around
more than he had been. I'm not sure if 21 days is too long for his little
body to be on antibiotics. I think the distemper vaccinations did something
to cause the leukemia to surface. The vet thinks he caught the leukemia
from his mom. I have two other cats who have been exposed to kitty. This
is my fault as I should have kept them separate from kitty until I had him
tested. I am taking one day at a time and will try to take good care of
kitty best I can as well as my other two longer resident cats. He is eating
real good.




"Catjoy via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hi,
>
> First of all, I am very sorry to hear that your kitty's test results came
> back positive for leukemia.
>
> A few questions for you:
>
> When was the kitty tested for Felv (leukemia)? Was it right after the
second
> booster? What kind of test was it/name of the test?
>
> What is this blood test that you are referring to that will determine if
the
> Felv will be fatal or treatable?
>
> With cats with felv, if you give them a particular shot, some can actually
> develop the actual disease they were innoculated for (i.e. calicivirus/cat
> cold), because their immune system is compromised. Because your cat is
Felv+,
> I would highly recommend against getting any further shots, if your vet
> hasn't stopped already. Vaccinations are supposed to be administered on
> healthy animals.
>
> Also, this is hard enough without this factor added in, but you should
know
> that Felv is contagious (if you don't already know this), and talk to the
vet
> about managing the virus if possible, as you have two other adult cats. I
> would recommend a feline-only vet, if available in your area, but there
are
> obviously some good general vets as well. Because Felv is a serious
disease,
> it's important to have a good vet that you communicate well with.
>
> Also, if you check on yahoo.com, search under yahoo groups for feline
> leukemia. They have some great groups on Felv, and some very knowledgable
> people who have dealt with this disease.
>
> My heart really goes out to you. I hope to hear from you soon, and all
the
> best you and your cats.
>
> --
> Message posted via CatKB.com
> http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200611/1
>

MoMo via CatKB.com
November 21st 06, 12:47 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your kitty :(

Just Me wrote:
>I got word today that my little guy has tested positive for leukemia. He
>could have a few weeks or a few years. He is on a 21 day regimen of
>antibiotics and he has been doing well. He's eating good and walking around
>more than he had been. I'm not sure if 21 days is too long for his little
>body to be on antibiotics. I think the distemper vaccinations did something
>to cause the leukemia to surface. The vet thinks he caught the leukemia
>from his mom. I have two other cats who have been exposed to kitty. This
>is my fault as I should have kept them separate from kitty until I had him
>tested. I am taking one day at a time and will try to take good care of
>kitty best I can as well as my other two longer resident cats. He is eating
>real good.
>
>> Hi,
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 29 lines]
>> My heart really goes out to you. I hope to hear from you soon, and all the
>> best you and your cats.

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200611/1