PDA

View Full Version : Should Cat Stay on Anitrobe??


KittiKat
November 18th 06, 11:41 PM
Hi All,

I posted below my original post on the Stomatitis/Gingivitis - no
response yet so thought I'd put up new post. While I call around next
week and get a second opinion on how to get a diagnosis and, then
proceed to the way to treat my cats gum inflammation (other than
yanking her teeth on the 28th of November), should I continue to keep
my cat on the Antirobe 25mg, 2ce daily? The idea of having her on it is
to stop the infection post op - which means she would be on the
medication a total of 12 days even before having the surgery. The
packet insert states cat should not be on this med more than 7 -10 days
and 14 max for gum infections. The also wanted her to continue it
after??? Anyhow, should I just stop the Antirobe until I get a second
opinion. I have a reputable clinic in mind that I am going to call on
Tuesday (when they are open...). Anyhow, maybe I should keep her on it
a few more days and see if it reduces the gum inflammation. Ugh, I wish
I were a vet!


Thanks :)))

Rhonda
November 19th 06, 04:57 AM
I think you probably didn't get an answer because really it's a question
for a vet. Is there an after-hours vet you could ask? Our vet leaves an
after-hours number on their machine. They might want to see the cat
though, before they'll advise.

Good luck with your cat,

Rhonda

KittiKat wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I posted below my original post on the Stomatitis/Gingivitis - no
> response yet so thought I'd put up new post. While I call around next
> week and get a second opinion on how to get a diagnosis and, then
> proceed to the way to treat my cats gum inflammation (other than
> yanking her teeth on the 28th of November), should I continue to keep
> my cat on the Antirobe 25mg, 2ce daily? The idea of having her on it is
> to stop the infection post op - which means she would be on the
> medication a total of 12 days even before having the surgery. The
> packet insert states cat should not be on this med more than 7 -10 days
> and 14 max for gum infections. The also wanted her to continue it
> after??? Anyhow, should I just stop the Antirobe until I get a second
> opinion. I have a reputable clinic in mind that I am going to call on
> Tuesday (when they are open...). Anyhow, maybe I should keep her on it
> a few more days and see if it reduces the gum inflammation. Ugh, I wish
> I were a vet!
>
>
> Thanks :)))
>

Phil P.
November 19th 06, 04:29 PM
"KittiKat" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi All,
>
> I posted below my original post on the Stomatitis/Gingivitis - no
> response yet so thought I'd put up new post. While I call around next
> week and get a second opinion on how to get a diagnosis and, then
> proceed to the way to treat my cats gum inflammation (other than
> yanking her teeth on the 28th of November), should I continue to keep
> my cat on the Antirobe 25mg, 2ce daily?


Discontinuing an antibiotic before the full course can produce
antibiotic-resistant strains. I never discontinue an antibiotic early
unless it causes adverse effects.

What's your cat's weight? The dose sounds a little low for stomatitis.


The idea of having her on it is
> to stop the infection post op - which means she would be on the
> medication a total of 12 days even before having the surgery.

The
> packet insert states cat should not be on this med more than 7 -10 days
> and 14 max for gum infections.


Antirobe (clindamycin) is usually prescribed for 2 to 4 weeks for
stomatitis.



The also wanted her to continue it
> after??? Anyhow, should I just stop the Antirobe until I get a second
> opinion. I have a reputable clinic in mind that I am going to call on
> Tuesday (when they are open...). Anyhow, maybe I should keep her on it
> a few more days and see if it reduces the gum inflammation.


I wouldn't discontinue her medication until you speak to a new vet or she
completes the therapy-- whichever comes first.

Phil

KittiKat
November 19th 06, 07:12 PM
Thanks Phil! :)

I decided to keep her on it and you are right, better to keep her on it
rather than dc it. Hopefully I'll be able to get this all straightened
out with another vet this week. I've heard good things about another
cat clinic in town who has an extensive dental practice, and, they do
housecalls. Keeping my fingers crossed that we get this straightend
out.

thnaks again,
KK


Phil P. wrote:
> "KittiKat" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I posted below my original post on the Stomatitis/Gingivitis - no
> > response yet so thought I'd put up new post. While I call around next
> > week and get a second opinion on how to get a diagnosis and, then
> > proceed to the way to treat my cats gum inflammation (other than
> > yanking her teeth on the 28th of November), should I continue to keep
> > my cat on the Antirobe 25mg, 2ce daily?
>
>
> Discontinuing an antibiotic before the full course can produce
> antibiotic-resistant strains. I never discontinue an antibiotic early
> unless it causes adverse effects.
>
> What's your cat's weight? The dose sounds a little low for stomatitis.
>
>
> The idea of having her on it is
> > to stop the infection post op - which means she would be on the
> > medication a total of 12 days even before having the surgery.
>
> The
> > packet insert states cat should not be on this med more than 7 -10 days
> > and 14 max for gum infections.
>
>
> Antirobe (clindamycin) is usually prescribed for 2 to 4 weeks for
> stomatitis.
>
>
>
> The also wanted her to continue it
> > after??? Anyhow, should I just stop the Antirobe until I get a second
> > opinion. I have a reputable clinic in mind that I am going to call on
> > Tuesday (when they are open...). Anyhow, maybe I should keep her on it
> > a few more days and see if it reduces the gum inflammation.
>
>
> I wouldn't discontinue her medication until you speak to a new vet or she
> completes the therapy-- whichever comes first.
>
> Phil

Linda Boucher
November 19th 06, 08:07 PM
Hi
i didn't see any reply to your post, so if i where you i would
keep the cat on anitrobe until you see another vets
and then ask him what the best thing to do
Linda



> I posted below my original post on the Stomatitis/Gingivitis - no
> response yet so thought I'd put up new post.