PDA

View Full Version : Neutered male cat trying to mate with my new robe..."(A little off-color, sorry)

MaryLyon
November 19th 06, 12:52 AM
Greetings:

Our 3 year old male, Meat Cat, was neutered in the first year of life,
and has never sired any kittens. He has recently developed an unnatural
attachment to my fleece robe, and likes to make biscuits on it with all
four feet, which amused my husband and me enormously - until he
squatted down and tried to "mate" with it! My other neutered male cat,
Bosco, has mounted our female cat occasionally, but he just sits there
and looks like he's trying to think of what happens next. This was a
whole different story. Meaty had an obvious erection and left a little,
er, fluid on my robe. This was quite gross and horrifying.

What is up with this? I thought these urges and responses would have
disappeared with the neutering. And this seems to only happen with this
robe - we've never seen him do it otherwise. So naturally, I'm only
wearing the robe out of his presence...

Any ideas would be appreciated. Sorry if this was gross, but we are
really curious and figured you guys would be able to enlighten us...

Cheers!
Amy :)

Lesley
November 19th 06, 01:26 AM
MaryLyon wrote:
> .
>
> What is up with this? I thought these urges and responses would have
> disappeared with the neutering.

Read http://www.messybeast.com/moggycat/affy_9.htm

for a similar case where a neutered tom developed an affection for a
jumper! It does happen.

A good few years ago some friends of ours were pretty horrified when
Fluff (Not usually the sort of name I'd like for a cat but described
said cat perfectly- then again I have had cats named Speedy Joe (a
normal sort of name yes he wasn't named by me), Fugazi and Isis and the
current incumbents are Redunzel and Sarrasine- so what do I know about
naming cats?) who had been done at 6 months and was now almost 10
suddenly rediscovered his urges, he mounted everything he could...you
sat with your elbow resting on the arm of a chair and you stood a
better than average chance of finding a large cat humping your arm!
They had one of those snake things for blocking off a draught under the
door and he tore that to bits during one of his more frenzied
couplings!

They took him to the vet who put him on pills (Bromide?) to counter his
urges

So yes it can happen..our beloved Isis (RB) for about 2 years after her
spaying would occasionally have a few days when she would roll about
the floor making noises like she was calling only not so strident.
Sarrasine has been known to "assume the position" on occasions
(normally when presented with a strange man- she's a tart!)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Brian Link
November 19th 06, 01:40 AM
On 18 Nov 2006 15:52:51 -0800, "MaryLyon" > wrote:

>Greetings:
>
>Our 3 year old male, Meat Cat, was neutered in the first year of life,
>and has never sired any kittens. He has recently developed an unnatural
>attachment to my fleece robe, and likes to make biscuits on it with all
>four feet, which amused my husband and me enormously - until he
>squatted down and tried to "mate" with it! My other neutered male cat,
>Bosco, has mounted our female cat occasionally, but he just sits there
>and looks like he's trying to think of what happens next. This was a
>whole different story. Meaty had an obvious erection and left a little,
>er, fluid on my robe. This was quite gross and horrifying.
>
>What is up with this? I thought these urges and responses would have
>disappeared with the neutering. And this seems to only happen with this
>robe - we've never seen him do it otherwise. So naturally, I'm only
>wearing the robe out of his presence...
>
>Any ideas would be appreciated. Sorry if this was gross, but we are
>really curious and figured you guys would be able to enlighten us...
>
>Cheers!
>Amy :)

Louis the Bengal was neutered very early, as apparently is the custom
among some breeders these days. Nonetheless, he'll hump bedclothes,
robes, pillows, and your arm if you're careless. He'll let out a howl,
grab your wrist in his mouth and stupidly sit there wondering why your
elbow isn't a vagina.

It's interesting - kinda shows that the mating urge and/or behavior is
not simply governed by testosterone.

BLink
--------------------------
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

Buddy's Mom
November 19th 06, 02:32 AM
I needed a good laugh!!!! I think most of them do some of this at some
point in their lives. My Vet says it has nothing to do with hormones -
and everything to do with dominating the situation. It is a behavioral
problem and not a hormonal problem per my vet.

Brian Link wrote:
> On 18 Nov 2006 15:52:51 -0800, "MaryLyon" > wrote:
>
> >Greetings:
> >
> >Our 3 year old male, Meat Cat, was neutered in the first year of life,
> >and has never sired any kittens. He has recently developed an unnatural
> >attachment to my fleece robe, and likes to make biscuits on it with all
> >four feet, which amused my husband and me enormously - until he
> >squatted down and tried to "mate" with it! My other neutered male cat,
> >Bosco, has mounted our female cat occasionally, but he just sits there
> >and looks like he's trying to think of what happens next. This was a
> >whole different story. Meaty had an obvious erection and left a little,
> >er, fluid on my robe. This was quite gross and horrifying.
> >
> >What is up with this? I thought these urges and responses would have
> >disappeared with the neutering. And this seems to only happen with this
> >robe - we've never seen him do it otherwise. So naturally, I'm only
> >wearing the robe out of his presence...
> >
> >Any ideas would be appreciated. Sorry if this was gross, but we are
> >really curious and figured you guys would be able to enlighten us...
> >
> >Cheers!
> >Amy :)
>
> Louis the Bengal was neutered very early, as apparently is the custom
> among some breeders these days. Nonetheless, he'll hump bedclothes,
> robes, pillows, and your arm if you're careless. He'll let out a howl,
> grab your wrist in his mouth and stupidly sit there wondering why your
> elbow isn't a vagina.
>
> It's interesting - kinda shows that the mating urge and/or behavior is
> not simply governed by testosterone.
>
> BLink
> --------------------------
> "The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

November 19th 06, 03:18 AM
I am wondering whether the human experience of eunuchs could offer an
insight into how a neutered cat retains or suddenly regains a sex
drive. Just last week here in Louisiana, a convicted child molester
submitted to surgical castration as a plea bargain to avoid the death
penalty or life without parole. (As it stands--or in this case, rests--
he will get at least 15 years).

So from where in our cats' physiologies does this sudden ability to be
sexual arise (no pun intended)? If any eunuchs or non-eunuchs who know
what happens to male libido after castration are following this thread,
please chime in. Or, maybe we should just ask the veternarian.

MaryLyon wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> Our 3 year old male, Meat Cat, was neutered in the first year of life,
> and has never sired any kittens. He has recently developed an unnatural
> attachment to my fleece robe, and likes to make biscuits on it with all
> four feet, which amused my husband and me enormously - until he
> squatted down and tried to "mate" with it! My other neutered male cat,
> Bosco, has mounted our female cat occasionally, but he just sits there
> and looks like he's trying to think of what happens next. This was a
> whole different story. Meaty had an obvious erection and left a little,
> er, fluid on my robe. This was quite gross and horrifying.
>
> What is up with this? I thought these urges and responses would have
> disappeared with the neutering. And this seems to only happen with this
> robe - we've never seen him do it otherwise. So naturally, I'm only
> wearing the robe out of his presence...
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated. Sorry if this was gross, but we are
> really curious and figured you guys would be able to enlighten us...
>
> Cheers!
> Amy :)

cybercat
November 19th 06, 03:39 AM
"MaryLyon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Greetings:
>
> Our 3 year old male, Meat Cat,

There you have it. :)

You ruined him with a name that makes him fixate on his meaty thing.

lol

hahahahaha

don't mind me, I'm just amusing myself.

:D

Wendy
November 19th 06, 04:15 PM
Oh that's interesting and explains a lot. My Boots insists on 'pawing' my
lap. Sometimes he seems to get a little carried away and add some hip
action. That usually gets him a quick trip to the floor (not having any cat
humping on my lap TYVM). He is also the cat who thinks he's the king of the
hill around here and is convinced that he has sole custody of my lap.

"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I needed a good laugh!!!! I think most of them do some of this at some
> point in their lives. My Vet says it has nothing to do with hormones -
> and everything to do with dominating the situation. It is a behavioral
> problem and not a hormonal problem per my vet.
>
> Brian Link wrote:
>> On 18 Nov 2006 15:52:51 -0800, "MaryLyon" > wrote:
>>
>> >Greetings:
>> >
>> >Our 3 year old male, Meat Cat, was neutered in the first year of life,
>> >and has never sired any kittens. He has recently developed an unnatural
>> >attachment to my fleece robe, and likes to make biscuits on it with all
>> >four feet, which amused my husband and me enormously - until he
>> >squatted down and tried to "mate" with it! My other neutered male cat,
>> >Bosco, has mounted our female cat occasionally, but he just sits there
>> >and looks like he's trying to think of what happens next. This was a
>> >whole different story. Meaty had an obvious erection and left a little,
>> >er, fluid on my robe. This was quite gross and horrifying.
>> >
>> >What is up with this? I thought these urges and responses would have
>> >disappeared with the neutering. And this seems to only happen with this
>> >robe - we've never seen him do it otherwise. So naturally, I'm only
>> >wearing the robe out of his presence...
>> >
>> >Any ideas would be appreciated. Sorry if this was gross, but we are
>> >really curious and figured you guys would be able to enlighten us...
>> >
>> >Cheers!
>> >Amy :)
>>
>> Louis the Bengal was neutered very early, as apparently is the custom
>> among some breeders these days. Nonetheless, he'll hump bedclothes,
>> robes, pillows, and your arm if you're careless. He'll let out a howl,
>> grab your wrist in his mouth and stupidly sit there wondering why your
>> elbow isn't a vagina.
>>
>> It's interesting - kinda shows that the mating urge and/or behavior is
>> not simply governed by testosterone.
>>
>> BLink
>> --------------------------
>> "The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

November 19th 06, 05:02 PM
MaryLyon wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> Our 3 year old male, Meat Cat, was neutered in the first year of life,
> and has never sired any kittens. He has recently developed an unnatural
> attachment to my fleece robe, and likes to make biscuits on it with all
> four feet, which amused my husband and me enormously - until he
> squatted down and tried to "mate" with it! My other neutered male cat,
> Bosco, has mounted our female cat occasionally, but he just sits there
> and looks like he's trying to think of what happens next. This was a
> whole different story. Meaty had an obvious erection and left a little,
> er, fluid on my robe. This was quite gross and horrifying.
>
> What is up with this? I thought these urges and responses would have
> disappeared with the neutering. And this seems to only happen with this
> robe - we've never seen him do it otherwise. So naturally, I'm only
> wearing the robe out of his presence...
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated. Sorry if this was gross, but we are
> really curious and figured you guys would be able to enlighten us...

First get the vet to do a blood test for testosterone to rule out
problems such as ectopic testicular tissue or testosterone production
by a tumour or by abnormal tissue. Once you've ruled out elevated
testosterone levels (which could be an early indicator of more serious
problems that are best spotted early) it is probably a behavioural
problem. The fact he is able to ejaculate suggests this needs
veterinary investigation before dismissing it as behavioural.

Animal behaviourist Peter Neville has reported several cases. One was
due to a bitch in the household giving off pheromones due to abnormal
ovarian tissue (you might want to get your female cat checked in case
she has abnormal tissue). Another was due to a plumbing compound
giving off pheromone-like odours when it heated up (the household had
hot water radiators). You don't get dominance mounting in tom cats in
the same way you do in dogs - cats are not pack animals and haven't
evolved that sort of behaviour.

Lesley
November 20th 06, 12:00 AM
wrote:

Are you the person responisble for the Messybeast archive? If so a
THOUSAND thanks for the fact that some of your stories have kept me in
tears of laughter! Did Elvira really exist? And Mad Sal?

And of course the tale of Tibbs and Tibbs 2? And the volunteer who
revealed a strange taste in underwear whilst retireving kittens from
her jeans?

Thanks

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

November 20th 06, 01:11 AM
Greetings:

No kidding, don't think this hasn't crossed my mind! I didn't name the
wretched fellow - his daddy did, after noticing how much "meat" the
kitty had packed on while growing out of the kitten stage...

Cheers!
Amy :)

cybercat wrote:
> "MaryLyon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Greetings:
> >
> > Our 3 year old male, Meat Cat,
>

> There you have it. :)
>
> You ruined him with a name that makes him fixate on his meaty thing.
>
> lol
>
> hahahahaha
>
> don't mind me, I'm just amusing myself.
>
> :D

November 20th 06, 01:12 AM
Greetings:

Wow, that is really interesting! Thanks for the info!

Cheers!
Amy :)

wrote:
> MaryLyon wrote:
> > Greetings:
> >
> > Our 3 year old male, Meat Cat, was neutered in the first year of life,
> > and has never sired any kittens. He has recently developed an unnatural
> > attachment to my fleece robe, and likes to make biscuits on it with all
> > four feet, which amused my husband and me enormously - until he
> > squatted down and tried to "mate" with it! My other neutered male cat,
> > Bosco, has mounted our female cat occasionally, but he just sits there
> > and looks like he's trying to think of what happens next. This was a
> > whole different story. Meaty had an obvious erection and left a little,
> > er, fluid on my robe. This was quite gross and horrifying.
> >
> > What is up with this? I thought these urges and responses would have
> > disappeared with the neutering. And this seems to only happen with this
> > robe - we've never seen him do it otherwise. So naturally, I'm only
> > wearing the robe out of his presence...
> >
> > Any ideas would be appreciated. Sorry if this was gross, but we are
> > really curious and figured you guys would be able to enlighten us...
> >

> First get the vet to do a blood test for testosterone to rule out
> problems such as ectopic testicular tissue or testosterone production
> by a tumour or by abnormal tissue. Once you've ruled out elevated
> testosterone levels (which could be an early indicator of more serious
> problems that are best spotted early) it is probably a behavioural
> problem. The fact he is able to ejaculate suggests this needs
> veterinary investigation before dismissing it as behavioural.
>
> Animal behaviourist Peter Neville has reported several cases. One was
> due to a bitch in the household giving off pheromones due to abnormal
> ovarian tissue (you might want to get your female cat checked in case
> she has abnormal tissue). Another was due to a plumbing compound
> giving off pheromone-like odours when it heated up (the household had
> hot water radiators). You don't get dominance mounting in tom cats in
> the same way you do in dogs - cats are not pack animals and haven't
> evolved that sort of behaviour.

November 21st 06, 07:17 PM
Lesley wrote:
> wrote:
>

> Are you the person responisble for the Messybeast archive? If so a
> THOUSAND thanks for the fact that some of your stories have kept me in
> tears of laughter! Did Elvira really exist? And Mad Sal?
>
> And of course the tale of Tibbs and Tibbs 2? And the volunteer who
> revealed a strange taste in underwear whilst retireving kittens from
> her jeans?

I am the same person!

Mad Sal really does exist and the Mad Sal tales are as accurate as I
dare make them. I had the misfortune of working with her rather
browbeaten husband and I once had to eject her from the shelter. All
of the other tales are true, but some details had to be changed (to
avoid libel) and there are some composite characters. Elvira is a
composite of 2 or 3 different people, and some events that happened at
different timesor different shelters have been included in a single
story. I got the job of writing up the stories from orally
transmitted anecdotes when meeting vounteers from other branches
(including Tibbs 2, whose owner passed on without learning the rather
necessary deception - without his cat this lovely old chap had nothing
to live for).

We really did have a volunteer fall into the poo-pit at the shelter I
worked with. Several volunteers - myself included - have revealed
their tastes in underwear while retrieving kittens from jeans and
sweatshirts (in my case, I revealed a lack of brassiere and perked up a
male volunteer and a couple of people who were looking for kittens).

Scrapper, the jumper-humper, and Affy (Aphrodite, to whom my site is
dedicated) were my own cats.

Stick Waver
November 24th 06, 06:21 PM
This may sound weird, but are you sure he's neutered?

I adoipted a 3 month old tabby and then brought him in to the vet for
his firct checkup. I checked the "yes" box for neutered on the form.
During the exam, the amused vet looked at me and said, "are you sure
he's neutered?" I told him I paid to have it done at the shelter
before I took him home. The vet laughed and said that either he fell
through the cracks and never had the procedure done, his (ahem)
equipment might have been very small and they assumed he was already
fixed, or he is a miracle cat and has grown them back!

Do check to make sure - you never know!