PDA

View Full Version : Russian Blue will not use litter box any longer

Alan S
November 19th 06, 02:04 AM
Help!
We have a 2 year old Russian Blue that has decided she no longer needs
to use a litter box. We have had her since May, purchased from a
cattery in NC, and also have an older cat in the house. The new cat
used the box for a while, several months in fact, and we used Feliway
for a while to help the two cats get used to each other. About 3
months(or so) ago the Blue started defecating in the tub in our spare
bathroom where we keep her litter box and urinating on the carpet in our
living room. We have had her to the vet, no sign of crystals in her
urine, the vet gave us anti-biotics anyway which we have given her twice
a day for the last week (with 3 days doses to go). I am at a loss. I
have never had a cat that refused to use its litter box and have tried
setting up two boxes for her in case she didn't like peeing where she
pooped. Any suggestions?

Alan S.

-L.
November 19th 06, 02:38 AM
Alan S wrote:
> Help!
> We have a 2 year old Russian Blue that has decided she no longer needs
> to use a litter box. We have had her since May, purchased from a
> cattery in NC, and also have an older cat in the house. The new cat
> used the box for a while, several months in fact, and we used Feliway
> for a while to help the two cats get used to each other. About 3
> months(or so) ago the Blue started defecating in the tub in our spare
> bathroom where we keep her litter box and urinating on the carpet in our
> living room. We have had her to the vet, no sign of crystals in her
> urine, the vet gave us anti-biotics anyway which we have given her twice
> a day for the last week (with 3 days doses to go). I am at a loss. I
> have never had a cat that refused to use its litter box and have tried
> setting up two boxes for her in case she didn't like peeing where she
> pooped. Any suggestions?
>
> Alan S.

Is she declawed?

-L.

Alan S
November 19th 06, 03:02 AM
-L. wrote:
> Alan S wrote:
>> Help!
>> We have a 2 year old Russian Blue that has decided she no longer needs
>> to use a litter box. We have had her since May, purchased from a
>> cattery in NC, and also have an older cat in the house. The new cat
>> used the box for a while, several months in fact, and we used Feliway
>> for a while to help the two cats get used to each other. About 3
>> months(or so) ago the Blue started defecating in the tub in our spare
>> bathroom where we keep her litter box and urinating on the carpet in our
>> living room. We have had her to the vet, no sign of crystals in her
>> urine, the vet gave us anti-biotics anyway which we have given her twice
>> a day for the last week (with 3 days doses to go). I am at a loss. I
>> have never had a cat that refused to use its litter box and have tried
>> setting up two boxes for her in case she didn't like peeing where she
>> pooped. Any suggestions?
>>
>> Alan S.
>
> Is she declawed?
>
> -L.

Thanks for your reply, she isn't.

Gail
November 19th 06, 03:48 AM
You should have three boxes for the two cats. Use unscented, clumping litter
and no hoods on the boxes. If you are sure she has no medical problems, try
placing her in one room with the two litter boxes. Keep her there and feed
her in the room away from the boxes. As she uses the litter boxes, you can
increase her space. This is a method for retraining her.
Gail
"Alan S" > wrote in message
> Help!
> We have a 2 year old Russian Blue that has decided she no longer needs to
> use a litter box. We have had her since May, purchased from a cattery in
> NC, and also have an older cat in the house. The new cat used the box for
> a while, several months in fact, and we used Feliway for a while to help
> the two cats get used to each other. About 3 months(or so) ago the Blue
> started defecating in the tub in our spare bathroom where we keep her
> litter box and urinating on the carpet in our living room. We have had
> her to the vet, no sign of crystals in her urine, the vet gave us
> anti-biotics anyway which we have given her twice a day for the last week
> (with 3 days doses to go). I am at a loss. I have never had a cat that
> refused to use its litter box and have tried setting up two boxes for her
> in case she didn't like peeing where she pooped. Any suggestions?
>
> Alan S.

Starship
November 19th 06, 04:36 AM
We had/have? the same problem with our "Blue" we bought a dog crate,
with her cat pan on the bottom, and a small shelve for her and her
food.

She did in fact learn to use the pan. and still does as long I keep the
pan REAL clean!

Good luck!

(is this common for Blues?)