PDA

View Full Version : spaying fears..

Elizabeth
November 20th 06, 12:22 PM
My 6 month old kitten has an appointment this Friday to get spayed. I have
never had a cat before and quite frankly I'm scared as hell that she's going
to die or get an infection or that her stitches will get torn.
My first question is: they said it would be $70 for the surgery if she wasn't
in heat, and $90 if she was. I didn't know they could be spayed while in heat.
Is that possible?
Second Question: What should I do when she comes home? Should I keep her in
one room and what should I do for her to comfort her and whatnot?
Third: Will she be in terrible pain and if so, what can I do to help?\
Fourth: Will she lose her little personality? I understand that she will calm
down a bit, but I don't want her to come home a totally different cat. What
should I expect?
ANY and all tips are appreciated.

--
http://i7.tinypic.com/24g0snn.jpg

my baby.

Wendy
November 20th 06, 01:01 PM
First thing you need to do is calm down. You don't want to stress your cat
by having her pick up on your apprehension.

If you are comfortable that you are using a competent vet then you have
little to worry about. If you don't have confidence in your vet, cancel the
appointment and make one with a practice you have more faith in.

Many vets will send you home with antibiotics and others will dose the cat
before they come home to avoid infection.

You will need to keep an eye on your cat to make sure she's not fussing with
her stitches. Most cats will leave them alone. The ones who don't can wear
an e-collar until the stitches are healed well enough that there isn't any
risk of pulling them out.

Most cats tolerate their spay/neuter very well. The girls do take a little
longer to get back to normal because of it being a lot more invasive
surgery. She will be sore when she comes home. Most vets will keep them
overnight after the surgery so they are past the worst of it before being
sent home. If you have other pets, it's a good idea to put her somewhere
away from them for the first day or so. You don't want her engaging in
strenuous play when she first gets home. She'll set the pace after that. If
she's an only pet then pretty much let her do what she feels up to doing.

If you see excessive swelling, redness or oozing from the surgical site call
the vet. In fact ask the vet to go over with you exactly what to look for.

With kittens they usually don't have much of a personality change. She might
be a little weirded out by the vet experience but she should get over that
and will probably be really glad to see her mommy.

Yes, they can spay them when they are in heat. For that matter they can spay
them when they are pregnant. Probably not the vets preference but .....

Most of the time spays are pretty uneventful. Be sure you know what to check
for at home to assure she is healing properly and get her back to the vet
ASAP if you see anything alarming. She should be fine.

"Elizabeth" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> My 6 month old kitten has an appointment this Friday to get spayed. I have
> never had a cat before and quite frankly I'm scared as hell that she's
> going
> to die or get an infection or that her stitches will get torn.
> My first question is: they said it would be $70 for the surgery if she
> wasn't
> in heat, and $90 if she was. I didn't know they could be spayed while in
> heat.
> Is that possible?
> Second Question: What should I do when she comes home? Should I keep her
> in
> one room and what should I do for her to comfort her and whatnot?
> Third: Will she be in terrible pain and if so, what can I do to help?\
> Fourth: Will she lose her little personality? I understand that she will
> calm
> down a bit, but I don't want her to come home a totally different cat.
> What
> should I expect?
> ANY and all tips are appreciated.
>
> --
> http://i7.tinypic.com/24g0snn.jpg
>
> my baby.

November 20th 06, 01:06 PM
Elizabeth schrieb:

> My 6 month old kitten has an appointment this Friday to get spayed. I have
> never had a cat before and quite frankly I'm scared as hell that she's going
> to die or get an infection or that her stitches will get torn.
> My first question is: they said it would be $70 for the surgery if she wasn't
> in heat, and $90 if she was. I didn't know they could be spayed while in heat.
> Is that possible?
> Second Question: What should I do when she comes home? Should I keep her in
> one room and what should I do for her to comfort her and whatnot?
> Third: Will she be in terrible pain and if so, what can I do to help?\
> Fourth: Will she lose her little personality? I understand that she will calm
> down a bit, but I don't want her to come home a totally different cat. What
> should I expect?
> ANY and all tips are appreciated.

Hi Elizabeth,
don't worry, your kitten should be just fine shortly after surgery!
Yes, you can spay a female while in heat, the surgery is a little more
complicated and that is why it costs more. She is not likely to be in
heat though at this time of the year if you live anywhere with a
distinct four season climate.
I do recommend confining her to a room when she comes home so she can't
run and jump too much in the first 48 hours. Keep her warm and
comfortable, monitor that she eats, drinks and uses the litterbox and
let her rest as she needs. After that, just take it as she feels :-)
Your kitten will most likely receive a pain shot at the end of surgery
and some vets send spay patients home with pain medication for a day or
two.
If spayed at that age, she should be just the same within a few days.
Most noticeable changes in personality are usually in adult males after
surgery, but even there it is generally just a calming down and not a
different cat.

Cheer up!

Petra

Phil P.
November 20th 06, 01:24 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Your kitten will most likely receive a pain shot at the end of surgery
> and some vets send spay patients home with pain medication for a day or
> two.

I don't think pain meds are included in those prices- I'd check to make
sure.

P.

BarB
November 20th 06, 06:08 PM
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:24:33 GMT, "Phil P." >
wrote:

> wrote in message
oups.com...

>> Your kitten will most likely receive a pain shot at the end of surgery
>> and some vets send spay patients home with pain medication for a day or
>> two.
>
>I don't think pain meds are included in those prices- I'd check to make
>sure.
>
>P.

They aren't terribly expensive and I think it's good to have them
available. What's your feeling about routine pain medication after
surgery? Some vets seem to feel it makes the animal more active than
it should be after surgery and it is better to avoid them if
possible. OTOH the organization that does low cost spay-neutering
here requires that the owner buy the pain medication.

BarB

kraut
November 20th 06, 06:34 PM
>>> Your kitten will most likely receive a pain shot at the end of surgery
>>> and some vets send spay patients home with pain medication for a day or
>>> two.
>>
>>I don't think pain meds are included in those prices- I'd check to make
>>sure.
>>
>>P.
>>

> They aren't terribly expensive and I think it's good to have them
>available. What's your feeling about routine pain medication after
>surgery? Some vets seem to feel it makes the animal more active than
>it should be after surgery and it is better to avoid them if
>possible. OTOH the organization that does low cost spay-neutering
>here requires that the owner buy the pain medication.

Here the Humane Society will pay for Spays / neuter for stray and for
people pets if they can not afford it but the pain meds for at home
are not included. The person has to pay extra for that and it varies
from vet to vet.

BarB
November 20th 06, 06:36 PM
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:22:02 GMT, "Elizabeth" <[email protected]> wrote:

>My 6 month old kitten has an appointment this Friday to get spayed. I have
>never had a cat before and quite frankly I'm scared as hell that she's going
>to die or get an infection or that her stitches will get torn.

That is highly unlikely. She will be fine. Remember not to let her
eat her after 10 pm the night before.

>My first question is: they said it would be $70 for the surgery if she wasn't
>in heat, and $90 if she was. I didn't know they could be spayed while in heat.
>Is that possible?

Yes, it's quite possible and common.

>Second Question: What should I do when she comes home? Should I keep her in
>one room and what should I do for her to comfort her and whatnot?

Keep her quiet. If she is released in the afternoon, she will be
alert but uncoordinated. She may fall if she tries to jump to her
usually place. She may want to use her litter box but she wont want
to eat much if anything until the next day. Coax her to sip a little
water from a glass from time to time.

>Third: Will she be in terrible pain and if so, what can I do to help?\

If she is not crying, I wouldn't give pain medication, but talk to
your vet about that. Most kittens exhibit few to no symptoms after
surgery. If she is crying, is feverish, doesn't want to eat or drink
after 24 hours, call the vet. Watch the surgery site. Is it redder
than before or weeping. My vet, who has neutered hundreds of cats for
our rescue group, has yet to have a kitten get ill after a routine
spaying.

>Fourth: Will she lose her little personality? I understand that she will calm
>down a bit, but I don't want her to come home a totally different cat. What
>should I expect?
>ANY and all tips are appreciated.
>
>--
>http://i7.tinypic.com/24g0snn.jpg
>
>my baby.

Elizabeth via CatKB.com
November 21st 06, 05:08 AM
Thanks so much!
We are taking her in at 7:30 AM on Friday.
I'll be sure to update on her progress after the surgery.
Much appreciated!

Phil P.
November 21st 06, 04:35 PM
"BarB" > wrote in message
. earthlink.net...
> On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:24:33 GMT, "Phil P." >
> wrote:
>

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >>

> >> Your kitten will most likely receive a pain shot at the end of surgery
> >> and some vets send spay patients home with pain medication for a day or
> >> two.
> >
> >I don't think pain meds are included in those prices- I'd check to make
> >sure.
> >
> >P.
> >
> They aren't terribly expensive and I think it's good to have them
> available. What's your feeling about routine pain medication after
> surgery?

Absotively! Unless there's a medical reason.

Some vets seem to feel it makes the animal more active than
> it should be after surgery and it is better to avoid them if
> possible.

Then those vets need more training in pain management. Just because cats are
masters of concealing pain, it doesn't mean they don't feel pain.

OTOH the organization that does low cost spay-neutering
> here requires that the owner buy the pain medication.

Pain management isn't optional with my vet.

Phil

meeee
November 21st 06, 11:17 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "BarB" > wrote in message
> . earthlink.net...
>> On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:24:33 GMT, "Phil P." >
>> wrote:
>>

>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>> >I don't think pain meds are included in those prices- I'd check to make
>> >sure.
>> >
>> >P.
>> >
>> They aren't terribly expensive and I think it's good to have them
>> available. What's your feeling about routine pain medication after
>> surgery?
>
> Absotively! Unless there's a medical reason.
>
> Some vets seem to feel it makes the animal more active than
>> it should be after surgery and it is better to avoid them if
>> possible.
>
> Then those vets need more training in pain management. Just because cats
> are
> masters of concealing pain, it doesn't mean they don't feel pain.
>

> OTOH the organization that does low cost spay-neutering
>> here requires that the owner buy the pain medication.
>
> Pain management isn't optional with my vet.
>
> Phil

lucky you....my vet didnt give jasmine anything after her spaying, and
hardly said a word to me....just dropped her off, the receptionist took her,
and ditto when I picked her up...not impressive as I paid $120 for the op,
and would have liked a chat with the vet and some pain meds....no pain meds,
the poor darling was very sore. Needless to say I now have a different vet.

Matthew
November 21st 06, 11:56 PM
"meeee" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> "BarB" > wrote in message
>> . earthlink.net...

>>> oups.com...

>>> They aren't terribly expensive and I think it's good to have them
>>> available. What's your feeling about routine pain medication after
>>> surgery?
>>
>> Absotively! Unless there's a medical reason.
>>
>> Some vets seem to feel it makes the animal more active than
>>> it should be after surgery and it is better to avoid them if
>>> possible.
>>
>> Then those vets need more training in pain management. Just because cats
>> are
>> masters of concealing pain, it doesn't mean they don't feel pain.
>>

>> OTOH the organization that does low cost spay-neutering
>>> here requires that the owner buy the pain medication.
>>
>> Pain management isn't optional with my vet.
>>
>> Phil
>>

> lucky you....my vet didnt give jasmine anything after her spaying, and
> hardly said a word to me....just dropped her off, the receptionist took
> her, and ditto when I picked her up...not impressive as I paid $120 for
> the op, and would have liked a chat with the vet and some pain meds....no
> pain meds, the poor darling was very sore. Needless to say I now have a
> different vet.

It makes me so happy that I have the vet that I have. He has saved my
furballs more than once and I would do anything for him

Lesley
November 22nd 06, 01:07 AM
Wendy wrote:

Most vets will keep them
> overnight after the surgery

In the Uk and my experience (4 so far) they don't even keep them in!
When Dunz and Sarsi went we booked a 9am appointment and they came
home by 1 pm! Apparently the anaesthetic they now use (Isoflurane?
Excuse spelling) is pretty quick to clear their systems. They made sure
they were okay and Hoomins were on hand in case of problems and gave us
a sheet of what to watch out for and tins of a catfood that was meant
to be acceptable to their tumies which they igonred in favour of
proper food!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

November 22nd 06, 03:33 PM
BarB wrote

> What's your feeling about routine pain medication after
> surgery? Some vets seem to feel it makes the animal more active than
> it should be after surgery and it is better to avoid them if
> possible.

I found pain-meds to be a benefit. I've seen spays both with and
without - all the cats with pain meds ate and drank a lot better within
a day after surgery, the others were more reluctanct to start back up.
I guess you have to think about it this way - if it's already painful
to get up and walk over to the water/food bowl, you'd probably put off
eating and drinking as long as possible - and that would be
counterproductive for the healing process.

IMO, minimum should be a pain-shot directly following surgery. That's
sufficient for males, a day or two of take-home meds for females is
ideal, especially as they really are not very expensive.

Petra