PDA

View Full Version : Cat won't eat

November 20th 06, 03:51 PM
Hi,

My parents cat will not eat and I am concerned. She started not eating
when my brother was moving his furniture out about a week or two ago.
They took her into the vet.The vet did an ultrasound, blood work and x
rays. They could not find anything. They have tried canned food from
Wal mart, different varieties such as beef, chix and salmon. They mash
the food, warm it up and try to hand feed her. She is drinking water
though. She is 10 years old. I did do some reading on CRF. Can you
determine CRF with the tests the vet ran? What else could be the
problem? What about a solution?

Thanks!

SweetPea

Matthew
November 20th 06, 04:00 PM
The stress in the house is another problem that can cause this
as for the test part PHIL P can answer better than me
is it a week or is it two. after a few days of not eating problems can
start to arise

A another vet may be needed
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> My parents cat will not eat and I am concerned. She started not eating
> when my brother was moving his furniture out about a week or two ago.
> They took her into the vet.The vet did an ultrasound, blood work and x
> rays. They could not find anything. They have tried canned food from
> Wal mart, different varieties such as beef, chix and salmon. They mash
> the food, warm it up and try to hand feed her. She is drinking water
> though. She is 10 years old. I did do some reading on CRF. Can you
> determine CRF with the tests the vet ran? What else could be the
> problem? What about a solution?
>
> Thanks!
>
> SweetPea

Gail
November 20th 06, 04:13 PM
Have her see another vet. Not eating is a very serious problem and must be
attended to promptly. I think their vet is missing something.
Gail
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> My parents cat will not eat and I am concerned. She started not eating
> when my brother was moving his furniture out about a week or two ago.
> They took her into the vet.The vet did an ultrasound, blood work and x
> rays. They could not find anything. They have tried canned food from
> Wal mart, different varieties such as beef, chix and salmon. They mash
> the food, warm it up and try to hand feed her. She is drinking water
> though. She is 10 years old. I did do some reading on CRF. Can you
> determine CRF with the tests the vet ran? What else could be the
> problem? What about a solution?
>
> Thanks!
>
> SweetPea

November 20th 06, 04:42 PM
wrote:
> My parents cat will not eat and I am concerned.
<snip>
> She is 10 years old. I did do some reading on CRF. Can you
> determine CRF with the tests the vet ran? What else could be the
> problem? What about a solution?

You can determine kidney failure if the right parameters were
requested. Ask your vet to share the results with you, BUN, creatinine,
calcium and phosporus are values relevant to kidneys.

There are lots of medical reason which will cause a cat to stop eating,
but this sounds more like stress caused this reaction. Does your
parent's cat not eat at all, or just not canned food (but does eat
kibble)? Many cats do not appreciate a change in food, so make sure you
offer the same food which she got prior to your brother's move. A cat
cannot go without food for more than a few days, try babyfood (meat
only, without onions!) or get a/d from the vet, which is highly
palatable. And this is just a thought - if your brother was her 'buddy'
didn't move far away, maybe he can visit for a day and start her back
eating. Sometimes assist-feeding a cat for a day will help, but make
sure you have someone explain how to do it (again a/d works great for
this).

Good luck,

Petra

Buddy's Mom
November 20th 06, 11:03 PM
Could be as simple as being full of hairballs.

> > My parents cat will not eat and I am concerned.
> <snip>
> > She is 10 years old. I did do some reading on CRF. Can you
> > determine CRF with the tests the vet ran? What else could be the
> > problem? What about a solution?
>
> You can determine kidney failure if the right parameters were
> requested. Ask your vet to share the results with you, BUN, creatinine,
> calcium and phosporus are values relevant to kidneys.
>
> There are lots of medical reason which will cause a cat to stop eating,
> but this sounds more like stress caused this reaction. Does your
> parent's cat not eat at all, or just not canned food (but does eat
> kibble)? Many cats do not appreciate a change in food, so make sure you
> offer the same food which she got prior to your brother's move. A cat
> cannot go without food for more than a few days, try babyfood (meat
> only, without onions!) or get a/d from the vet, which is highly
> palatable. And this is just a thought - if your brother was her 'buddy'
> didn't move far away, maybe he can visit for a day and start her back
> eating. Sometimes assist-feeding a cat for a day will help, but make
> sure you have someone explain how to do it (again a/d works great for
> this).
>
> Good luck,
>
> Petra

Wayne
November 23rd 06, 06:57 PM
We put our cat down about 6 months ago and the reason was that it wouldn't
eat. I guess it's just an old age thing. She was about 10.
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> My parents cat will not eat and I am concerned. She started not eating
> when my brother was moving his furniture out about a week or two ago.
> They took her into the vet.The vet did an ultrasound, blood work and x
> rays. They could not find anything. They have tried canned food from
> Wal mart, different varieties such as beef, chix and salmon. They mash
> the food, warm it up and try to hand feed her. She is drinking water
> though. She is 10 years old. I did do some reading on CRF. Can you
> determine CRF with the tests the vet ran? What else could be the
> problem? What about a solution?
>
> Thanks!
>
> SweetPea

---MIKE---
November 23rd 06, 11:30 PM
10 is NOT old for a cat. There was something else wrong.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

dgk
November 27th 06, 02:47 PM
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 17:30:56 -0500,
(---MIKE---) wrote:

>10 is NOT old for a cat. There was something else wrong.
>

> ---MIKE---

Yes and no. Ten is in fact fairly old for a cat, and there was
something wrong. Not eating is not a disease, it's a symptom.