PDA

View Full Version : stopped using cat tree?

ensoul
November 21st 06, 04:02 AM
why would they do that? I didn't move it, haven't changed it's
position, no new animals in the house or people, they used to love it,
went nuts over....it's not yet a year old...the first couple days they
wouldn't touch it....I put it near the window, that made all the
difference, put now the don't use it all, not even as a scracthing
post....yes I have used fresh cat nip.....took me some time to save for
this....I live in small apartment, I knew they needed something to
climb had to go up not out....why would they suddenly stop using it?

I'm really strating to wonder if I can give them the proper home, they
18lbs a piece, live in a very small 2 bdrm place, can't go outside...I
love Moe & Rudy so much but with the death my husband (that isn't when
they stopped using it) my income has put me below the povetry level. I
go to all the free clinics for there vaccations, they are neutered....I
don't now if I can do right by them. They're very loving also very long
haired (my husband got them without me there) with chronic pain very
difficult to vacum and difficult to pay the vet now with the loss of
his income.

I'm sorry...i've just babbled on, got way off topic

ensoul

There's beauty in the silver singing river, There's beauty in the
sunrise in the sky, But none of these and nothing else can match the
beauty, That I remember in my true love's eyes

~Bob Dylan

cybercat
November 21st 06, 05:12 AM
"ensoul" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> why would they do that? I didn't move it, haven't changed it's
> position, no new animals in the house or people, they used to love it,
> went nuts over....it's not yet a year old...the first couple days they
> wouldn't touch it....I put it near the window, that made all the
> difference, put now the don't use it all, not even as a scracthing
> post....yes I have used fresh cat nip.....took me some time to save for
> this....I live in small apartment, I knew they needed something to
> climb had to go up not out....why would they suddenly stop using it?
>
> I'm really strating to wonder if I can give them the proper home, they
> 18lbs a piece, live in a very small 2 bdrm place, can't go outside...I
> love Moe & Rudy so much but with the death my husband (that isn't when
> they stopped using it) my income has put me below the povetry level. I
> go to all the free clinics for there vaccations, they are neutered....I
> don't now if I can do right by them. They're very loving also very long
> haired (my husband got them without me there) with chronic pain very
> difficult to vacum and difficult to pay the vet now with the loss of
> his income.
>
> I'm sorry...i've just babbled on, got way off topic

I thought your subsidized housing people were forcing you to give one of
them up?

Rhonda
November 21st 06, 07:19 AM
I think cats go through phases. Probably if you moved it to a new
location, they'd think it was a new toy!

It sounds like you got to keep both of your cats. I'm glad they got to
stick together.

I'm sure the cats are doing fine at your place. Do they seem happy? I
don't think cats need a lot of space, really, not like dogs. They go up
and down things as they please.

Do what you can, take your time to make any big decisions about them
because I'm sure they provide you with a lot of company and comfort.

Rhonda

ensoul wrote:
> why would they do that? I didn't move it, haven't changed it's
> position, no new animals in the house or people, they used to love it,
> went nuts over....it's not yet a year old...the first couple days they
> wouldn't touch it....I put it near the window, that made all the
> difference, put now the don't use it all, not even as a scracthing
> post....yes I have used fresh cat nip.....took me some time to save for
> this....I live in small apartment, I knew they needed something to
> climb had to go up not out....why would they suddenly stop using it?
>
> I'm really strating to wonder if I can give them the proper home, they
> 18lbs a piece, live in a very small 2 bdrm place, can't go outside...I
> love Moe & Rudy so much but with the death my husband (that isn't when
> they stopped using it) my income has put me below the povetry level. I
> go to all the free clinics for there vaccations, they are neutered....I
> don't now if I can do right by them. They're very loving also very long
> haired (my husband got them without me there) with chronic pain very
> difficult to vacum and difficult to pay the vet now with the loss of
> his income.
>
> I'm sorry...i've just babbled on, got way off topic
>

> ensoul
>

> There's beauty in the silver singing river, There's beauty in the
> sunrise in the sky, But none of these and nothing else can match the
> beauty, That I remember in my true love's eyes
>
> ~Bob Dylan

Phil P.
November 21st 06, 10:05 AM
"ensoul" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> why would they do that? I didn't move it, haven't changed it's
> position, no new animals in the house or people, they used to love it,
> went nuts over....it's not yet a year old...the first couple days they
> wouldn't touch it....I put it near the window, that made all the
> difference, put now the don't use it all,

It may be chilly by the window since the weather is getting colder. Check
your windows for drafts.

Phil

MaryL
November 21st 06, 02:05 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
>I think cats go through phases. Probably if you moved it to a new location,
>they'd think it was a new toy!
>
> It sounds like you got to keep both of your cats. I'm glad they got to
> stick together.
>
> I'm sure the cats are doing fine at your place. Do they seem happy? I
> don't think cats need a lot of space, really, not like dogs. They go up
> and down things as they please.
>
> Do what you can, take your time to make any big decisions about them
> because I'm sure they provide you with a lot of company and comfort.
>
> Rhonda

I agree. Cats may seem to ignore a toy (or cat tree), and then return to it
just as suddenly as they ignored it. We also don't know how much attention
they may pay to the tree when noone is home.

I don't think cats need a great deal of space, as long as they have lots of
toys, scratching posts, and "things" to keep their attention (such as cat
trees, with their nice climbing surfaces). I have had cats starting with my
days as a graduate student when I lived in a small one-bedroom apartment and
gradually moving up to better and larger accomodations as I moved through my
career (and as I aged!). In several instances, I moved with a cat from one
home to another. In *every* case, all of my cats have been happy and have
settled in well. Incidentally, my income was also well below the poverty
level (and I had no outside assistance) when I was a graduate student, so I
do know what it is like to be poor -- although, fortunately, I also knew
that it was temporary -- and I still was able to care for my wonderful
companion. He was ill at one time and needed surgery, and I was able to
make arrangements to pay the bill over an extended period of time.

MaryL

wjcollins
November 21st 06, 06:07 PM
>From what Ihave read in thgis topic, I too feel that you have adequate
space for your cats. While my actual house is somewhat spacious, I
closed of several rooms last winter (too much too heat them, so shut
them down) and My Fiance's cat, Scooter, seemed to not mind a bit. We
now have a Kitten, and Scoter and Pearl are doing fine, and run across
what room availabe, turning around when they hit a wall.

One also am in agreement that cats - like their owners - go through
phases, and that the placement of the tree and the time of year may
indeed hold the key.

Move things about, and seem what happens, best of luck to you and
yours. I have a health related question I will move to another topic--
I hope to see you there :)

wjcollins