PDA

View Full Version : Constipation in cats

November 21st 06, 06:06 AM
All,

My little Katie has been diagnosed with both IBD and hyperthyroidism.
The is medicated for both, but her stool volume has been dropping.
The stools aren't really hard and seem a good color. She just seems
to have problems pushing them out. I give her Benefibre ( 1/4/ tsp
twice a day) and have put a little Lactulose into her diet, but it
hasn't helped much. Does anyone have any good suggestions for this?

Rob

Rhonda
November 21st 06, 08:12 AM
Hi Rob,

Is the vet treating the constipation? We just went through a bad case
with our cat this summer, she was so backed up that her colon expanded
(mega colon) and stopped working completely. Not to scare you, well,
okay, to scare you..., but I'm glad you're taking care of this.

Sweeter was also on lactulose, and from this group I learned cats many
times have to be on very large doses to get their systems working again.
Also, canned pumpkin in the diet can help. Make sure she's very
hydrated, even getting sub-cu fluids if needed (we did that at home.)
One of the goals is to keep the feces that is stuck, hydrated.

Good luck!

Rhonda

wrote:
> All,
>
> My little Katie has been diagnosed with both IBD and hyperthyroidism.
> The is medicated for both, but her stool volume has been dropping.
> The stools aren't really hard and seem a good color. She just seems
> to have problems pushing them out. I give her Benefibre ( 1/4/ tsp
> twice a day) and have put a little Lactulose into her diet, but it
> hasn't helped much. Does anyone have any good suggestions for this?
>
> Rob

Phil P.
November 21st 06, 11:01 AM
> wrote in message
> All,
>
> My little Katie has been diagnosed with both IBD and hyperthyroidism.
> The is medicated for both, but her stool volume has been dropping.
> The stools aren't really hard and seem a good color. She just seems
> to have problems pushing them out. I give her Benefibre ( 1/4/ tsp
> twice a day) and have put a little Lactulose into her diet, but it
> hasn't helped much. Does anyone have any good suggestions for this?
>
> Rob

Speak to your vet about cisapride (Propulsid) its a colonic prokinetic drug-
it enhances colonic propulsive motility. If your vet doesn't stock
cisapride get a prescription and have it filled at any human compounding
pharmacy.

Good luck,

Phil

November 21st 06, 07:25 PM
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 07:12:22 GMT, Rhonda >
wrote:

>Hi Rob,
>
>Is the vet treating the constipation? We just went through a bad case
>with our cat this summer, she was so backed up that her colon expanded
>(mega colon) and stopped working completely. Not to scare you, well,
>okay, to scare you..., but I'm glad you're taking care of this.

The good news is that I switches out her litter box for a larger one
and she passed a normal poop this morning. I'm wondering if the
smaller box put her in a difficult stance that made going harder.

>Sweeter was also on lactulose, and from this group I learned cats many
>times have to be on very large doses to get their systems working again.
>Also, canned pumpkin in the diet can help. Make sure she's very
>hydrated, even getting sub-cu fluids if needed (we did that at home.)
>One of the goals is to keep the feces that is stuck, hydrated.

We've been giving her syringes of water since she's on pred for IBD.
I'm being very careful with the lactulose. Last time I used as
directed, she went loose stools big time. I've been ramping up the
dosage slowly.

Thanks,
Rob

wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> My little Katie has been diagnosed with both IBD and hyperthyroidism.
>> The is medicated for both, but her stool volume has been dropping.
>> The stools aren't really hard and seem a good color. She just seems
>> to have problems pushing them out. I give her Benefibre ( 1/4/ tsp
>> twice a day) and have put a little Lactulose into her diet, but it
>> hasn't helped much. Does anyone have any good suggestions for this?
>>
>> Rob

Rhonda
November 24th 06, 07:58 AM
wrote:

> The good news is that I switches out her litter box for a larger one
> and she passed a normal poop this morning. I'm wondering if the
> smaller box put her in a difficult stance that made going harder.

Great news! I hope everything is back to normal for all of you soon.

Rhonda