PDA

View Full Version : Who me, panic?

Eva Quesnell
November 24th 06, 10:46 PM
I don't know if you remember, but I lost my cat Chick last Saturday.
Today I was just sitting here at the computer. Little Pandora jumped up
to sit by me and be petted. I felt her and thought "Oh my God, she's
burning up." She felt SO hot. So I grabbed her and unceremoniously
dumped her into a carrier. I called the vet's emergency number, and I
waited, and I waited. He didn't call! So I started calling vets -- I
found that the one I used to go to until he wasn't available for
emergencies was open today. So I called and in my most panicked voice
told them that my kitty had a fever and I wanted to bring her in right
away. They said to be there in 15 minutes. So I took off in a hurried
flight, Pandora cursing me all the way. They saw us right away. They
took her temperature -- guess what? Normal. Plain, flat out 100.8
normal. So I tucked my tail between my legs, they said "no charge," and
we came home. Pandora came bursting out of the carrier and made straight
for the food. I guess all that excitement made her work up an appetite.
Sigh.

Eva

ChristyLynn
November 25th 06, 12:38 AM
Well, at least you didn't sit here on the computer bothering a newsgroup
with your worries without doing anything. You were concerned, you took
action. A little embarrassed, yes... but better safe than sorry. :)

November 25th 06, 12:48 AM
In article >,
says...

> I don't know if you remember, but I lost my cat Chick last Saturday.
> Today I was just sitting here at the computer. Little Pandora jumped up
> to sit by me and be petted. I felt her and thought "Oh my God, she's
> burning up." She felt SO hot. So I grabbed her and unceremoniously
> dumped her into a carrier. I called the vet's emergency number, and I
> waited, and I waited. He didn't call! So I started calling vets -- I
> found that the one I used to go to until he wasn't available for
> emergencies was open today. So I called and in my most panicked voice
> told them that my kitty had a fever and I wanted to bring her in right
> away. They said to be there in 15 minutes. So I took off in a hurried
> flight, Pandora cursing me all the way. They saw us right away. They
> took her temperature -- guess what? Normal. Plain, flat out 100.8
> normal. So I tucked my tail between my legs, they said "no charge," and
> we came home. Pandora came bursting out of the carrier and made straight
> for the food. I guess all that excitement made her work up an appetite.
> Sigh.
>
> Eva

Cats are heat vampires. You can find them anywhere there's a warm or
sunny spot. This does elevate their temperature a bit, more external
than internal depending on the color of their hair.

Eva Quesnell
November 25th 06, 12:49 AM
On Fri, 24 Nov 2006, ChristyLynn wrote:

> Well, at least you didn't sit here on the computer bothering a newsgroup
> with your worries without doing anything. You were concerned, you took
> action. A little embarrassed, yes... but better safe than sorry. :)

Yeah, I did feel a little silly. But I agree with you on the better safe
than sorry thing. Getting on the computer at a time like that is my last
thought. I'm very relieved that I was wrong. Pandora thinks I'm a little
crazy, but I think I'm just on hyper-alert watch mode after what happened
with Chick. I can't tell you how scared I was. I was near tears, but
they were very understanding at the vet's office. Pandora forgave me
right away like she always does. :)

Eva

Eva Quesnell
November 25th 06, 12:52 AM
On Fri, 24 Nov 2006, T wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> I don't know if you remember, but I lost my cat Chick last Saturday.
>> Today I was just sitting here at the computer. Little Pandora jumped up
>> to sit by me and be petted. I felt her and thought "Oh my God, she's
>> burning up." She felt SO hot. So I grabbed her and unceremoniously
>> dumped her into a carrier. I called the vet's emergency number, and I
>> waited, and I waited. He didn't call! So I started calling vets -- I
>> found that the one I used to go to until he wasn't available for
>> emergencies was open today. So I called and in my most panicked voice
>> told them that my kitty had a fever and I wanted to bring her in right
>> away. They said to be there in 15 minutes. So I took off in a hurried
>> flight, Pandora cursing me all the way. They saw us right away. They
>> took her temperature -- guess what? Normal. Plain, flat out 100.8
>> normal. So I tucked my tail between my legs, they said "no charge," and
>> we came home. Pandora came bursting out of the carrier and made straight
>> for the food. I guess all that excitement made her work up an appetite.
>> Sigh.
>>
>> Eva
>>

> Cats are heat vampires. You can find them anywhere there's a warm or
> sunny spot. This does elevate their temperature a bit, more external
> than internal depending on the color of their hair.

Pandora is pure black. She must've been sitting in the sun, and I didn't
realize it. I'm still in panic mode, I guess. It is very sunny and warm
here today. I did go and check the other two to see if they felt hot, but
they didn't. Mickey, who hates it if I even think about putting him in a
carrier, hissed at me when I went to check his temp. He saw Pandy in the
carrier, and he knows exactly what's going to happen next.

Eva

Lesley
November 25th 06, 12:59 AM
ChristyLynn wrote:
> Well, at least you didn't sit here on the computer bothering a newsgroup
> with your worries without doing anything. You were concerned, you took
> action. A little embarrassed, yes... but better safe than sorry. :)

Don't feel embarassed after Fugazi crossed the bridge I think I must
have checked up on Isis (Her sister) every 10 minutes for the next
month. If she looked at her food the wrong way I was almost on the
phone to our vet despite the fact that seconds later she was tucking in
quite happlily. In the end Isis who was a highly sociable cat with her
Hoomins hid away and I was convinced she'd gone away to die whereas in
fact she was probably trying to get some sleep and get away from this
annoying person who kept waking her up!

You're always vunerable just after you lost one

Isis lived for another 4 years before passing away in her sleep aged
16+ and apart from the last 2 weeks of her life never showing any sign
of being ill and even then she just started to show her age rather than
anything else

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Eva Quesnell
November 25th 06, 01:06 AM
On Fri, 24 Nov 2006, Lesley wrote:

> ChristyLynn wrote:
>> Well, at least you didn't sit here on the computer bothering a newsgroup
>> with your worries without doing anything. You were concerned, you took
>> action. A little embarrassed, yes... but better safe than sorry. :)
>
> Don't feel embarassed after Fugazi crossed the bridge I think I must
> have checked up on Isis (Her sister) every 10 minutes for the next
> month. If she looked at her food the wrong way I was almost on the
> phone to our vet despite the fact that seconds later she was tucking in
> quite happlily. In the end Isis who was a highly sociable cat with her
> Hoomins hid away and I was convinced she'd gone away to die whereas in
> fact she was probably trying to get some sleep and get away from this
> annoying person who kept waking her up!

I'm sure that's how Pandora felt today. I'm glad it's not just me. I
couldn't bear the thought of losing another so soon. Little Pandora is
only 7. :)

> You're always vunerable just after you lost one

I have been watching those cats like hawks. The dogs are getting the
once-over often also. They probably just think I'm going through a phase
of some kind. I don't even want to think about this with my rotty -- he's
12 now and has a heart condition that requires medicine twice daily. Oh,
this is the hard part of having fur children.

> Isis lived for another 4 years before passing away in her sleep aged
> 16+ and apart from the last 2 weeks of her life never showing any sign
> of being ill and even then she just started to show her age rather than
> anything else
>
> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

We certainly are their slaves, but I am enjoying a happy enslavement. :)

Eva

barb
November 25th 06, 08:07 PM
Hi, Eva,

Glad you're back! And sounds like your old vet may become your present vet.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Eva Quesnell
November 25th 06, 08:28 PM
On Sat, 25 Nov 2006, barb wrote:

> Hi, Eva,
>
> Glad you're back! And sounds like your old vet may become your present vet.
>
> --
> Barb
> Of course I don't look busy,
> I did it right the first time.

Hmmm, I dunno what to do now. The reason I left the first vet was that he
became disinterested in small animals. I live in the country, and he
would only do emergencies for horses. Plus he moved into a huge new place
and jacked his prices up. So then I changed to one my sister said was
really good. Of course, now he's getting ready to retire and is turning
over his practice to a guy who charges me for an "exam" when I get shots
for my critters. I see this charge for an exam when he didn't even listen
to the animal's heart or anything. It's hard to find the right vet. And
I am not happy that he never did try to call me back after I left my
number twice. What if I really did have an emergency? Of course, I
thought I did. But I do have an older dog with a heart problem, and I
would have to hurt that vet if he didn't respond to something like that.
There's no voice mail with it -- you just put in your phone number and are
left hanging. They *will* hear about it. BTW, everybody here is fine
today.

But my Mickey, 10-year-old male brown tabby, has been howling at night. I
think he's looking for Chick, even tho I did let him see her before we
buried her. I had to get up in the middle of the night to pet him and
talk to him before he would settle down and come back to bed. Poor baby!

Eva

Lynne
November 26th 06, 02:41 AM
on Sat, 25 Nov 2006 19:28:05 GMT, Eva Quesnell > wrote:

> Hmmm, I dunno what to do now. The reason I left the first vet was
> that he became disinterested in small animals. I live in the country,
> and he would only do emergencies for horses. Plus he moved into a
> huge new place and jacked his prices up. So then I changed to one my
> sister said was really good. Of course, now he's getting ready to
> retire and is turning over his practice to a guy who charges me for an
> "exam" when I get shots for my critters. I see this charge for an
> exam when he didn't even listen to the animal's heart or anything.
> It's hard to find the right vet. And I am not happy that he never did
> try to call me back after I left my number twice. What if I really
> did have an emergency? Of course, I thought I did. But I do have an
> older dog with a heart problem, and I would have to hurt that vet if
> he didn't respond to something like that. There's no voice mail with
> it -- you just put in your phone number and are left hanging. They
> *will* hear about it. BTW, everybody here is fine today.

I feel your pain in trying to find the right vet. Do you have a good
emergency vet nearby? My current vet doesn't take after hours calls and
neither did my last one. We have become well acquainted with our
emergency hospital. Of course the local vets rely on that. If you don't
have one available, I imagine there must be a vet who will return your
calls after hours. We had a vet who drove to our house when our Lab was
very ill 12 years ago. He was coming to euthanize her for us, but she
died while he was on his way (within an hour of us making the phone
call). I have recently found good references for vets and a dog
behaviorist through a local rescue organization. Perhaps you can check
with a similar group in your area? Good luck. I know how frustrating
that is. It's definitely best to find the right vet when everyone is
healthy.

> But my Mickey, 10-year-old male brown tabby, has been howling at
> night. I think he's looking for Chick, even tho I did let him see her
> before we buried her. I had to get up in the middle of the night to
> pet him and talk to him before he would settle down and come back to
> bed. Poor baby!

Poor Mickey. I remember when I lost Lamonte. My other cat, Calvin, knew
Lamonte his entire life and thought of him as his mother (long story).
He cried a lot and was very inactive for several weeks, but once he
adjusted, he was back to his old happy self again. I thought about
getting him a kitten, but he was very happy to be the only cat for the
remainder of his 20+ years (and spoiled rotten).

I hope that hole in your heart heals soon, Eva.

--
Lynne

"Every once in a while, the tables are turned and we get to share our
lives with an animal who takes care of their human." - Tara, rpdb

Eva Quesnell
November 26th 06, 05:00 PM
On Sat, 25 Nov 2006, Lynne wrote:

> on Sat, 25 Nov 2006 19:28:05 GMT, Eva Quesnell > wrote:
>
>> Hmmm, I dunno what to do now. The reason I left the first vet was
>> that he became disinterested in small animals. I live in the country,
>> and he would only do emergencies for horses. Plus he moved into a
>> huge new place and jacked his prices up. So then I changed to one my
>> sister said was really good. Of course, now he's getting ready to
>> retire and is turning over his practice to a guy who charges me for an
>> "exam" when I get shots for my critters. I see this charge for an
>> exam when he didn't even listen to the animal's heart or anything.
>> It's hard to find the right vet. And I am not happy that he never did
>> try to call me back after I left my number twice. What if I really
>> did have an emergency? Of course, I thought I did. But I do have an
>> older dog with a heart problem, and I would have to hurt that vet if
>> he didn't respond to something like that. There's no voice mail with
>> it -- you just put in your phone number and are left hanging. They
>> *will* hear about it. BTW, everybody here is fine today.
>
> I feel your pain in trying to find the right vet. Do you have a good
> emergency vet nearby? My current vet doesn't take after hours calls and
> neither did my last one. We have become well acquainted with our
> emergency hospital. Of course the local vets rely on that. If you don't
> have one available, I imagine there must be a vet who will return your
> calls after hours. We had a vet who drove to our house when our Lab was
> very ill 12 years ago. He was coming to euthanize her for us, but she
> died while he was on his way (within an hour of us making the phone
> call). I have recently found good references for vets and a dog
> behaviorist through a local rescue organization. Perhaps you can check
> with a similar group in your area? Good luck. I know how frustrating
> that is. It's definitely best to find the right vet when everyone is
> healthy.

That's the rub -- the vet I have been going to does have an emergency
service. If you call their regular number while they're closed, they give
you a number to call in an emergency. In the past, I've called this
number and gotten a response within 15 minutes. That emergency service
saved my older dog's life about a year ago. He was horribly sick, and I
called and received help right away. He almost died. It was a Sunday,
but the vet met me at his office right away. This new vet taking over the
practice just didn't call me back. So we'll have to have a talk about
this. I live 25 miles from the emergency vet clinics in town, so I need a
vet out here where I live who will respond to an emergency. So I'll be
calling this new vet tomorrow to ask why he didn't answer my call for
help. If he doesn't have a damn good explanation, he may be toast. Then
I'll have to start prodding the old vet about having an emergency service.
Gosh, that's all clear as mud, isn't it?

>> But my Mickey, 10-year-old male brown tabby, has been howling at
>> night. I think he's looking for Chick, even tho I did let him see her
>> before we buried her. I had to get up in the middle of the night to
>> pet him and talk to him before he would settle down and come back to
>> bed. Poor baby!
>
> Poor Mickey. I remember when I lost Lamonte. My other cat, Calvin, knew
> Lamonte his entire life and thought of him as his mother (long story).
> He cried a lot and was very inactive for several weeks, but once he
> adjusted, he was back to his old happy self again. I thought about
> getting him a kitten, but he was very happy to be the only cat for the
> remainder of his 20+ years (and spoiled rotten).

Mickey has his good moments and his bad moments now. He didn't howl last
night. It was a little spooky when he started howling in the wee hours of
the morning. Did he know that it was the exact time a week ago that Chick
started having trouble? I dunno.

> I hope that hole in your heart heals soon, Eva.
>
> --
> Lynne

Thanks, Lynne. It's hard. I have a little video of Chick that I keep
playing just to hear her tiny little meow. She was a really big cat, and
she had the cutest tiny meow. :(

Eva

> "Every once in a while, the tables are turned and we get to share our
> lives with an animal who takes care of their human." - Tara, rpdb

Eva Quesnell
November 26th 06, 07:47 PM
On Sun, 26 Nov 2006, barb wrote:

> It's hard. They really do miss their little fur pals. When my 15 year old
> Sapphire died, the 2 year old Pickles seemed to forget how to walk properly.
> They had been close. I thought she had something wrong with her and rushed
> her to the vet. He gave her a cortisone shot and said if she weren't better
> in a few days he'd run tests. In a few days, thankfully, she was fine!
>
> Barb

Last night, Mickey, who is not a snuggler ever at all, came to lay by me
and even let me hold onto him. He definitely is seeking comfort. I say
Chick's name to him, and I tell him I am sorry. He cocks his head when I
say her name. He's one smart cat, a little too smart sometimes. I'm glad
your Pickles was OK. Some people don't realize how tender our little
kitties' feelings are.

Eva

barb
November 26th 06, 08:17 PM