PDA

View Full Version : peeing on carpets & valium

WILLOW
November 25th 06, 12:08 PM
Wondering if anyone can give me feedback re: my 10 yr old female. I
inherited her from my aged father after he went into a nursing home.
Prior to that, he wasn't very diligent about the litter box, and she
was peeing in the furnace room on the floor. I keep her litter box
spotless, its in a quiet & accessible place, and still she pees on the
carpets throughout the house. My vet put her on Valium 1 mg twice a
day, which seems to work, but when I try to decrease the dose to once a
day, it starts again. I don't want to medicate her forever, and on 2
a day all she does is sleep and eat, but the alternative is not
attractive - smelly stained carpets, or euthanasia. Any thoughts?

Spot
November 25th 06, 12:59 PM
You need to have your carpets professionally cleaned or at least rent a
scrubber and use an enzyme product to break down the urine. Even if you
think you have the smell out it's not all gone and she can smell it. My
one dog kept going in the same place I soaked the carpet with white vinegar
left it sit for 12 hours then scrubbed the area 3 times. After this she
finally quit messing there.

Also you say the box is in an acceptable place. Does that mean where you
like it or is it really suitable for the cat? Have you tried moving the box
to another location or even adding an additional box. I had a cat who would
pee in one box and poop in another. Also some cats prefer to be isolated
when doing their business. I'm guessing that is why she was going in the
furnace room at your fathers.

Celeste

"WILLOW" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Wondering if anyone can give me feedback re: my 10 yr old female. I
> inherited her from my aged father after he went into a nursing home.
> Prior to that, he wasn't very diligent about the litter box, and she
> was peeing in the furnace room on the floor. I keep her litter box
> spotless, its in a quiet & accessible place, and still she pees on the
> carpets throughout the house. My vet put her on Valium 1 mg twice a
> day, which seems to work, but when I try to decrease the dose to once a
> day, it starts again. I don't want to medicate her forever, and on 2
> a day all she does is sleep and eat, but the alternative is not
> attractive - smelly stained carpets, or euthanasia. Any thoughts?

Wendy
November 25th 06, 01:07 PM
"WILLOW" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Wondering if anyone can give me feedback re: my 10 yr old female. I
> inherited her from my aged father after he went into a nursing home.
> Prior to that, he wasn't very diligent about the litter box, and she
> was peeing in the furnace room on the floor. I keep her litter box
> spotless, its in a quiet & accessible place, and still she pees on the
> carpets throughout the house. My vet put her on Valium 1 mg twice a
> day, which seems to work, but when I try to decrease the dose to once a
> day, it starts again. I don't want to medicate her forever, and on 2
> a day all she does is sleep and eat, but the alternative is not
> attractive - smelly stained carpets, or euthanasia. Any thoughts?

What all was done and tried before putting her on Valium? What tests did the
vet do? No sense suggesting something you've already tried and didn't work.

flash
November 25th 06, 06:16 PM
"WILLOW" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Wondering if anyone can give me feedback re: my 10 yr old female. I
> inherited her from my aged father after he went into a nursing home.
> Prior to that, he wasn't very diligent about the litter box, and she
> was peeing in the furnace room on the floor. I keep her litter box
> spotless, its in a quiet & accessible place, and still she pees on the
> carpets throughout the house. My vet put her on Valium 1 mg twice a
> day, which seems to work, but when I try to decrease the dose to once a
> day, it starts again. I don't want to medicate her forever, and on 2
> a day all she does is sleep and eat, but the alternative is not
> attractive - smelly stained carpets, or euthanasia. Any thoughts?

Confine her until she is retrained. You should have tried that before
resorting to valium.

InnocentCat
November 26th 06, 02:11 AM
I would assume that the vet ran all the appropriate tests on your kitty
first. i.e....tests for bladder or kidney problems. Recently I lost my
feline companion of 15 years. She was diagnosed 3+ years ago with kidney
problems. Therefore I may be abit more sensitive to kittys not going where
they should. If some of the obvious have been elimated first....dirty
litterbox...scented litter, etc....make sure the vet has run test for kidney
or bladder problems.

Hope all turns out well for you and your feline companion....

oups.com...