PDA

View Full Version : Tracking collar for cats?

dgk
November 26th 06, 08:22 PM
I love letting Espy and Nipsy out into the sealed backyard, but Espy
is becoming a superb escape artist. Right now I'm watching them on the
spy cam but Espy got out two days ago and managed to get three yards
down before I caught up with him. He found a weakness in the plastic
mesh and managed to squeeze through. Luckily there is a retaining wall
that runs through all the yards and I just walked down it and scooped
him up. He had just walked down it to travel through the yards.

Then, yesterday, he was climbing an evergreen that is taller than the
fence and could have climbed over the top. Very smart boy this one.

I was just back there in a chair while Espy went along an entire side
of the yard poking at the mesh in various places and climbing up it to
see what would happen. I'm watching him look for ways to get out. He
has no idea that what he is doing is bad.

So I put something in the tree to stop him from climbing up the
middle; one of those squirrel stopper kinds of things. But I seem to
have two choices, not letting them out at all, which I would hate to
do. They love it so much. Or, perhaps, putting some sort of tracking
collar on Espy.

I was looking at the ones that folks use for hunting dogs. There are
beeper types that you can trigger the beeper from far off and you can
hear it for hundreds of yards (around $150) . Or there are the radio
tracking kinds that are good for miles but cost around $500.

Am I nuts to think of putting one of these on Espy when I let him out?
He can't get far away before I check on him, and something like this
would make it easy to keep track of him.

Sometimes I can't find him and go crazy before discovering him under a
bush. This way I can press a button and follow the noise.

I'm nuts, right?

Matthew
November 26th 06, 08:25 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
>I love letting Espy and Nipsy out into the sealed backyard, but Espy
> is becoming a superb escape artist. Right now I'm watching them on the
> spy cam but Espy got out two days ago and managed to get three yards
> down before I caught up with him. He found a weakness in the plastic
> mesh and managed to squeeze through. Luckily there is a retaining wall
> that runs through all the yards and I just walked down it and scooped
> him up. He had just walked down it to travel through the yards.
>
> Then, yesterday, he was climbing an evergreen that is taller than the
> fence and could have climbed over the top. Very smart boy this one.
>
> I was just back there in a chair while Espy went along an entire side
> of the yard poking at the mesh in various places and climbing up it to
> see what would happen. I'm watching him look for ways to get out. He
> has no idea that what he is doing is bad.
>
> So I put something in the tree to stop him from climbing up the
> middle; one of those squirrel stopper kinds of things. But I seem to
> have two choices, not letting them out at all, which I would hate to
> do. They love it so much. Or, perhaps, putting some sort of tracking
> collar on Espy.
>
> I was looking at the ones that folks use for hunting dogs. There are
> beeper types that you can trigger the beeper from far off and you can
> hear it for hundreds of yards (around $150) . Or there are the radio
> tracking kinds that are good for miles but cost around $500.
>
> Am I nuts to think of putting one of these on Espy when I let him out?
> He can't get far away before I check on him, and something like this
> would make it easy to keep track of him.
>
> Sometimes I can't find him and go crazy before discovering him under a
> bush. This way I can press a button and follow the noise.
>
> I'm nuts, right?

Aren't all cat owners ;-)

Eva Quesnell
November 26th 06, 10:10 PM
On Sun, 26 Nov 2006, Matthew wrote:

> "dgk" > wrote in message
>> I love letting Espy and Nipsy out into the sealed backyard, but Espy
>> is becoming a superb escape artist. Right now I'm watching them on the
>> spy cam but Espy got out two days ago and managed to get three yards
>> down before I caught up with him. He found a weakness in the plastic
>> mesh and managed to squeeze through. Luckily there is a retaining wall
>> that runs through all the yards and I just walked down it and scooped
>> him up. He had just walked down it to travel through the yards.
>>
>> Then, yesterday, he was climbing an evergreen that is taller than the
>> fence and could have climbed over the top. Very smart boy this one.
>>
>> I was just back there in a chair while Espy went along an entire side
>> of the yard poking at the mesh in various places and climbing up it to
>> see what would happen. I'm watching him look for ways to get out. He
>> has no idea that what he is doing is bad.
>>
>> So I put something in the tree to stop him from climbing up the
>> middle; one of those squirrel stopper kinds of things. But I seem to
>> have two choices, not letting them out at all, which I would hate to
>> do. They love it so much. Or, perhaps, putting some sort of tracking
>> collar on Espy.
>>
>> I was looking at the ones that folks use for hunting dogs. There are
>> beeper types that you can trigger the beeper from far off and you can
>> hear it for hundreds of yards (around $150) . Or there are the radio
>> tracking kinds that are good for miles but cost around $500.
>>
>> Am I nuts to think of putting one of these on Espy when I let him out?
>> He can't get far away before I check on him, and something like this
>> would make it easy to keep track of him.
>>
>> Sometimes I can't find him and go crazy before discovering him under a
>> bush. This way I can press a button and follow the noise.
>>
>> I'm nuts, right?
>
> Aren't all cat owners ;-)

I thought that was a prerequisite. :3

Eva

Spot
November 26th 06, 10:47 PM
Why don't you build and enclosure that they can go out into instead of
letting them have the whole yard. They'd still get out but you would not
need to worry.

Celeste

"dgk" > wrote in message
>I love letting Espy and Nipsy out into the sealed backyard, but Espy
> is becoming a superb escape artist. Right now I'm watching them on the
> spy cam but Espy got out two days ago and managed to get three yards
> down before I caught up with him. He found a weakness in the plastic
> mesh and managed to squeeze through. Luckily there is a retaining wall
> that runs through all the yards and I just walked down it and scooped
> him up. He had just walked down it to travel through the yards.
>
> Then, yesterday, he was climbing an evergreen that is taller than the
> fence and could have climbed over the top. Very smart boy this one.
>
> I was just back there in a chair while Espy went along an entire side
> of the yard poking at the mesh in various places and climbing up it to
> see what would happen. I'm watching him look for ways to get out. He
> has no idea that what he is doing is bad.
>
> So I put something in the tree to stop him from climbing up the
> middle; one of those squirrel stopper kinds of things. But I seem to
> have two choices, not letting them out at all, which I would hate to
> do. They love it so much. Or, perhaps, putting some sort of tracking
> collar on Espy.
>
> I was looking at the ones that folks use for hunting dogs. There are
> beeper types that you can trigger the beeper from far off and you can
> hear it for hundreds of yards (around $150) . Or there are the radio
> tracking kinds that are good for miles but cost around $500.
>
> Am I nuts to think of putting one of these on Espy when I let him out?
> He can't get far away before I check on him, and something like this
> would make it easy to keep track of him.
>
> Sometimes I can't find him and go crazy before discovering him under a
> bush. This way I can press a button and follow the noise.
>
> I'm nuts, right?

dgk
November 26th 06, 11:33 PM
On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 22:47:53 GMT, "Spot" >
wrote:

>Why don't you build and enclosure that they can go out into instead of
>letting them have the whole yard. They'd still get out but you would not
>need to worry.
>
>Celeste

I've seen that sort of thing. My yard isn't very large and they really
like chasing each other around and hiding under bushes and such. I
can't really imagine building an enclosure that wouldn't take up half
the yard anyway.

Adam Helberg
November 27th 06, 05:34 AM
"dgk" > wrote in message
>I love letting Espy and Nipsy out into the sealed backyard, but Espy
> is becoming a superb escape artist. Right now I'm watching them on the
> spy cam but Espy got out two days ago and managed to get three yards
> down before I caught up with him. He found a weakness in the plastic
> mesh and managed to squeeze through. Luckily there is a retaining wall
> that runs through all the yards and I just walked down it and scooped
> him up. He had just walked down it to travel through the yards.
>
> Then, yesterday, he was climbing an evergreen that is taller than the
> fence and could have climbed over the top. Very smart boy this one.
>
> I was just back there in a chair while Espy went along an entire side
> of the yard poking at the mesh in various places and climbing up it to
> see what would happen. I'm watching him look for ways to get out. He
> has no idea that what he is doing is bad.
>
> So I put something in the tree to stop him from climbing up the
> middle; one of those squirrel stopper kinds of things. But I seem to
> have two choices, not letting them out at all, which I would hate to
> do. They love it so much. Or, perhaps, putting some sort of tracking
> collar on Espy.
>
> I was looking at the ones that folks use for hunting dogs. There are
> beeper types that you can trigger the beeper from far off and you can
> hear it for hundreds of yards (around $150) . Or there are the radio
> tracking kinds that are good for miles but cost around $500.
>
> Am I nuts to think of putting one of these on Espy when I let him out?
> He can't get far away before I check on him, and something like this
> would make it easy to keep track of him.
>
> Sometimes I can't find him and go crazy before discovering him under a
> bush. This way I can press a button and follow the noise.
>
> I'm nuts, right?

There is a company here in Orange, CA that makes special radio collars for cats. You
can find it with Google.

Adam

dgk
November 27th 06, 04:37 PM
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 05:34:35 GMT, "Adam Helberg"
> wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message
>>I love letting Espy and Nipsy out into the sealed backyard, but Espy
>> is becoming a superb escape artist. Right now I'm watching them on the
>> spy cam but Espy got out two days ago and managed to get three yards
>> down before I caught up with him. He found a weakness in the plastic
>> mesh and managed to squeeze through. Luckily there is a retaining wall
>> that runs through all the yards and I just walked down it and scooped
>> him up. He had just walked down it to travel through the yards.
>>
>> Then, yesterday, he was climbing an evergreen that is taller than the
>> fence and could have climbed over the top. Very smart boy this one.
>>
>> I was just back there in a chair while Espy went along an entire side
>> of the yard poking at the mesh in various places and climbing up it to
>> see what would happen. I'm watching him look for ways to get out. He
>> has no idea that what he is doing is bad.
>>
>> So I put something in the tree to stop him from climbing up the
>> middle; one of those squirrel stopper kinds of things. But I seem to
>> have two choices, not letting them out at all, which I would hate to
>> do. They love it so much. Or, perhaps, putting some sort of tracking
>> collar on Espy.
>>
>> I was looking at the ones that folks use for hunting dogs. There are
>> beeper types that you can trigger the beeper from far off and you can
>> hear it for hundreds of yards (around $150) . Or there are the radio
>> tracking kinds that are good for miles but cost around $500.
>>
>> Am I nuts to think of putting one of these on Espy when I let him out?
>> He can't get far away before I check on him, and something like this
>> would make it easy to keep track of him.
>>
>> Sometimes I can't find him and go crazy before discovering him under a
>> bush. This way I can press a button and follow the noise.
>>
>> I'm nuts, right?
>
>There is a company here in Orange, CA that makes special radio collars for cats. You
>can find it with Google.
>
>Adam

No, I don't find it. In fact, the only one I've found is FelixFinder
in the UK. That's around $300, which is a bit steep. All I really need
is something that will beep in response to a button. I really don't
need directional location, although that would be nice.

There are beep collars for dogs. If I use one of them I can tell if my
hunting cat is on Point. Whatever that is. I think it's time to visit
RadioShack and see what they say.

Spot
November 27th 06, 11:33 PM
The cheap collars are only good up to 100 yards after that they are
worthless and the ones that are better you are still looking at $200 plus.

A beep collar does nothing for you if the cat is out of range where a gps
collar tells you exactly where the cat is at.

Celeste

"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 05:34:35 GMT, "Adam Helberg"
> > wrote:
>

>>"dgk" > wrote in message
>>>I love letting Espy and Nipsy out into the sealed backyard, but Espy
>>> is becoming a superb escape artist. Right now I'm watching them on the
>>> spy cam but Espy got out two days ago and managed to get three yards
>>> down before I caught up with him. He found a weakness in the plastic
>>> mesh and managed to squeeze through. Luckily there is a retaining wall
>>> that runs through all the yards and I just walked down it and scooped
>>> him up. He had just walked down it to travel through the yards.
>>>
>>> Then, yesterday, he was climbing an evergreen that is taller than the
>>> fence and could have climbed over the top. Very smart boy this one.
>>>
>>> I was just back there in a chair while Espy went along an entire side
>>> of the yard poking at the mesh in various places and climbing up it to
>>> see what would happen. I'm watching him look for ways to get out. He
>>> has no idea that what he is doing is bad.
>>>
>>> So I put something in the tree to stop him from climbing up the
>>> middle; one of those squirrel stopper kinds of things. But I seem to
>>> have two choices, not letting them out at all, which I would hate to
>>> do. They love it so much. Or, perhaps, putting some sort of tracking
>>> collar on Espy.
>>>
>>> I was looking at the ones that folks use for hunting dogs. There are
>>> beeper types that you can trigger the beeper from far off and you can
>>> hear it for hundreds of yards (around $150) . Or there are the radio
>>> tracking kinds that are good for miles but cost around $500.
>>>
>>> Am I nuts to think of putting one of these on Espy when I let him out?
>>> He can't get far away before I check on him, and something like this
>>> would make it easy to keep track of him.
>>>
>>> Sometimes I can't find him and go crazy before discovering him under a
>>> bush. This way I can press a button and follow the noise.
>>>
>>> I'm nuts, right?
>>
>>There is a company here in Orange, CA that makes special radio collars for
>>cats. You
>>can find it with Google.
>>
>>Adam
>>

> No, I don't find it. In fact, the only one I've found is FelixFinder
> in the UK. That's around $300, which is a bit steep. All I really need
> is something that will beep in response to a button. I really don't
> need directional location, although that would be nice.
>
> There are beep collars for dogs. If I use one of them I can tell if my
> hunting cat is on Point. Whatever that is. I think it's time to visit
> RadioShack and see what they say.

Adam Helberg
November 28th 06, 07:19 AM
http://www.thecatlocator.com/

Adam Helberg
November 28th 06, 07:28 AM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 05:34:35 GMT, "Adam Helberg"
> > wrote:
>

>>"dgk" > wrote in message
>>>I love letting Espy and Nipsy out into the sealed backyard, but Espy
>>> is becoming a superb escape artist. Right now I'm watching them on the
>>> spy cam but Espy got out two days ago and managed to get three yards
>>> down before I caught up with him. He found a weakness in the plastic
>>> mesh and managed to squeeze through. Luckily there is a retaining wall
>>> that runs through all the yards and I just walked down it and scooped
>>> him up. He had just walked down it to travel through the yards.
>>>
>>> Then, yesterday, he was climbing an evergreen that is taller than the
>>> fence and could have climbed over the top. Very smart boy this one.
>>>
>>> I was just back there in a chair while Espy went along an entire side
>>> of the yard poking at the mesh in various places and climbing up it to
>>> see what would happen. I'm watching him look for ways to get out. He
>>> has no idea that what he is doing is bad.
>>>
>>> So I put something in the tree to stop him from climbing up the
>>> middle; one of those squirrel stopper kinds of things. But I seem to
>>> have two choices, not letting them out at all, which I would hate to
>>> do. They love it so much. Or, perhaps, putting some sort of tracking
>>> collar on Espy.
>>>
>>> I was looking at the ones that folks use for hunting dogs. There are
>>> beeper types that you can trigger the beeper from far off and you can
>>> hear it for hundreds of yards (around $150) . Or there are the radio
>>> tracking kinds that are good for miles but cost around $500.
>>>
>>> Am I nuts to think of putting one of these on Espy when I let him out?
>>> He can't get far away before I check on him, and something like this
>>> would make it easy to keep track of him.
>>>
>>> Sometimes I can't find him and go crazy before discovering him under a
>>> bush. This way I can press a button and follow the noise.
>>>
>>> I'm nuts, right?
>>
>>There is a company here in Orange, CA that makes special radio collars for cats.
>>You
>>can find it with Google.
>>
>>Adam
>>

> No, I don't find it. In fact, the only one I've found is FelixFinder
> in the UK. That's around $300, which is a bit steep. All I really need
> is something that will beep in response to a button. I really don't
> need directional location, although that would be nice.
>
> There are beep collars for dogs. If I use one of them I can tell if my
> hunting cat is on Point. Whatever that is. I think it's time to visit
> RadioShack and see what they say.

http://www.thecatlocator.com/locator/intro.html

dgk
November 28th 06, 02:01 PM
On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 07:19:53 GMT, "Adam Helberg"
> wrote:

>http://www.thecatlocator.com/

Thanks much. Around $250 but not currently available in the USA as of
November. I'll get in touch with them though. Apparently only a range
of 1 or two blocks in the city but I don't have big buildings near me.