PDA

View Full Version : Train a cat to wake up later??

The Other Mike
November 27th 06, 03:20 PM
Have 2 new kittens and an older cat. The older one and one of the
kittens sleeps fine and don't get up until we do. The other kitten is
really starting to get on my last nerve. 4am every day, he climbs on
our heads and just won't stop crying (while purring at the same time).
I'll even get up to feed him and he just follows me, rubbing on my
legs so I trip while screaming at me and purring at the same
time...doesn't eat much and runs back after me when I try to go back
to bed. I'm at the point where I just throw him out of the room and
shut the door when he starts. Is there anything I can do to train
him not to do this??

Eva Quesnell
November 27th 06, 03:38 PM
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, barb wrote:

> Maybe just pretend you're asleep when he starts and don't get up until
> you're ready. I locked my Pickles out of the bedroom when she was a kitten
> one night because she was being a pest. She saw to it that I never did it
> again because she tore a hole in the carpet outside the door!
>
> --
> Barb
> Of course I don't look busy,
> I did it right the first time.

Mickey used to do that to me, and I did just what Barb says. I'd pull the
covers over my head and ignore him, even tho he'd keep bugging me. After
a few days of this, he stopped. Another thing to do is *not* feed them as
soon as you get up. Make them wait a little while. Then they won't be
trying to get you up since they'll know you're not going to feed them
right away. If you give in to the demand that you get up and give them
something, they will train you in no time. :)

Eva

MoMo via CatKB.com
November 27th 06, 04:10 PM
I go through the same thing every single morning with my younger guy, Trouble.
6:30 a.m. on the dot there he is in bed, kneading on my chest and purring
until I get up and feed him. I don't mind during the week as this is the
time I have to get up anyway, but the weekends aren't fun. Either way, he
does have me trained well as I do get up on the weekends when he demands it
and feed him and then I go back to bed with my other cat who can't be
bothered to even open his eyes until noon.

I have to admit though at being amazed at how Trouble knows when it is 6:30
and time to eat.

Eva Quesnell wrote:
>> Maybe just pretend you're asleep when he starts and don't get up until
>> you're ready. I locked my Pickles out of the bedroom when she was a kitten
>[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
>> Of course I don't look busy,
>> I did it right the first time.
>
>Mickey used to do that to me, and I did just what Barb says. I'd pull the
>covers over my head and ignore him, even tho he'd keep bugging me. After
>a few days of this, he stopped. Another thing to do is *not* feed them as
>soon as you get up. Make them wait a little while. Then they won't be
>trying to get you up since they'll know you're not going to feed them
>right away. If you give in to the demand that you get up and give them
>something, they will train you in no time. :)
>
>Eva

barb
November 27th 06, 04:24 PM
Maybe just pretend you're asleep when he starts and don't get up until
you're ready. I locked my Pickles out of the bedroom when she was a kitten
one night because she was being a pest. She saw to it that I never did it
again because she tore a hole in the carpet outside the door!

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

The Other Mike
November 27th 06, 04:34 PM
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 08:38:03 -0700, Eva Quesnell >
wrote:

>Mickey used to do that to me, and I did just what Barb says. I'd pull the
>covers over my head and ignore him, even tho he'd keep bugging me. After
>a few days of this, he stopped. Another thing to do is *not* feed them as
>soon as you get up.

We tried this for a couple of days but to be honest, it was me who was
the problem. I lay there trying to ignore him and feel my blood
boiling ready to strangle him (not really...just an expression)...get
up and feed him just to shut him up....then I can't get back to sleep
because i'm all worked up. This morning I couldn't take it anymore
and just locked him out of the room. I guess we'll keep trying to
ignore him for a few days and see if we can get him to stop.

Eva Quesnell
November 27th 06, 05:06 PM
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, The Other Mike wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 08:38:03 -0700, Eva Quesnell >
> wrote:
>
>> Mickey used to do that to me, and I did just what Barb says. I'd pull the
>> covers over my head and ignore him, even tho he'd keep bugging me. After
>> a few days of this, he stopped. Another thing to do is *not* feed them as
>> soon as you get up.
>
> We tried this for a couple of days but to be honest, it was me who was
> the problem. I lay there trying to ignore him and feel my blood
> boiling ready to strangle him (not really...just an expression)...get
> up and feed him just to shut him up....then I can't get back to sleep
> because i'm all worked up. This morning I couldn't take it anymore
> and just locked him out of the room. I guess we'll keep trying to
> ignore him for a few days and see if we can get him to stop.

Yeah, as long as you give in and do what he wants, he will keep on doing
it. It took me at least a week or two of *not* feeding when I first got
up for Mickey to give up and leave me alone on the weekends. If you keep
giving in, kitty wins. You have to stick to it for it to work. Once it
does start to work, the kitty will leave you alone from there on in. OK,
they will do the occasional wake-up, but not so much.

Eva

Eva Quesnell
November 27th 06, 05:08 PM
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, MoMo via CatKB.com wrote:

> I go through the same thing every single morning with my younger guy, Trouble.
> 6:30 a.m. on the dot there he is in bed, kneading on my chest and purring
> until I get up and feed him. I don't mind during the week as this is the
> time I have to get up anyway, but the weekends aren't fun. Either way, he
> does have me trained well as I do get up on the weekends when he demands it
> and feed him and then I go back to bed with my other cat who can't be
> bothered to even open his eyes until noon.

Yup. He does have you trained. As long as you give in to his demands,
he'll keep doing it.

> I have to admit though at being amazed at how Trouble knows when it is 6:30
> and time to eat.

They have built-in clocks, and they just know. :)

Eva

> Eva Quesnell wrote:
>>> Maybe just pretend you're asleep when he starts and don't get up until
>>> you're ready. I locked my Pickles out of the bedroom when she was a kitten
>> [quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
>>> Of course I don't look busy,
>>> I did it right the first time.
>>
>> Mickey used to do that to me, and I did just what Barb says. I'd pull the
>> covers over my head and ignore him, even tho he'd keep bugging me. After
>> a few days of this, he stopped. Another thing to do is *not* feed them as
>> soon as you get up. Make them wait a little while. Then they won't be
>> trying to get you up since they'll know you're not going to feed them
>> right away. If you give in to the demand that you get up and give them
>> something, they will train you in no time. :)
>>
>> Eva

jmagerl
November 27th 06, 07:32 PM
I finally bought a automated food dispenser. It dispenses just a tiny amount
of dry food at 4AM. THis keeps kitty happy till I get up at 6:30 when he
gets his wet food. But at $140 it was an expensive solution to the problem.
Lord help me if I don't get up at 6:30 though.

He also has become less demanding as he gets older.

"Eva Quesnell" > wrote in message
du...
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, MoMo via CatKB.com wrote:
>
>> I go through the same thing every single morning with my younger guy,
>> Trouble.
>> 6:30 a.m. on the dot there he is in bed, kneading on my chest and purring
>> until I get up and feed him. I don't mind during the week as this is the
>> time I have to get up anyway, but the weekends aren't fun. Either way,
>> he
>> does have me trained well as I do get up on the weekends when he demands
>> it
>> and feed him and then I go back to bed with my other cat who can't be
>> bothered to even open his eyes until noon.
>
> Yup. He does have you trained. As long as you give in to his demands,
> he'll keep doing it.
>
>> I have to admit though at being amazed at how Trouble knows when it is
>> 6:30
>> and time to eat.
>
> They have built-in clocks, and they just know. :)
>
> Eva

>>> [quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
>>>
>>> Mickey used to do that to me, and I did just what Barb says. I'd pull
>>> the
>>> covers over my head and ignore him, even tho he'd keep bugging me.
>>> After
>>> a few days of this, he stopped. Another thing to do is *not* feed them
>>> as
>>> soon as you get up. Make them wait a little while. Then they won't be
>>> trying to get you up since they'll know you're not going to feed them
>>> right away. If you give in to the demand that you get up and give them
>>> something, they will train you in no time. :)
>>>
>>> Eva
>>
>> --

PawsForThought
November 28th 06, 01:23 AM
The Other Mike wrote: The other kitten is
> really starting to get on my last nerve. 4am every day, he climbs on
> our heads and just won't stop crying (while purring at the same time).
> I'll even get up to feed him

That was your mistake right there. Now he knows in order to get fed,
all he has to do is walk on your head at 4 a.m. If you can handle it,
I would recommend completely ignoring him for a few days or a week.
Hopefully you can undo the behavior.

Wayne
November 28th 06, 09:20 PM
LOL
I installed a scratching post on the wall right outside our bedroom door
because our 'Elvis' was scratching the rug.
Wayne

November 28th 06, 11:45 PM
The Other Mike wrote:
> Have 2 new kittens and an older cat. The older one and one of the
> kittens sleeps fine and don't get up until we do. The other kitten is
> really starting to get on my last nerve. 4am every day, he climbs on
> our heads and just won't stop crying (while purring at the same time).
> I'll even get up to feed him and he just follows me, rubbing on my
> legs so I trip while screaming at me and purring at the same
> time...doesn't eat much and runs back after me when I try to go back
> to bed. I'm at the point where I just throw him out of the room and
> shut the door when he starts. Is there anything I can do to train
> him not to do this??

I do not fee canned food in the morning. They have dry food available
24/7, and they get their canned food in the afternoon and before bed.
So, they have no reason to wake me up early.

Chase was an earlybird the first year or so. I just left my bedroom
open so he could go find activity elsewhere. After awhile, his schedule
adjusted to mine.