PDA

View Full Version : Opinion / helpful suggestions about what to do with a neighborhood cat needed. (LONG)


kraut
November 27th 06, 04:34 PM
This is a little on long side but want to give a little background.

There is a neighbor that has several cats that roam the neighborhood
of which one of them is (He says) about 11 years old and this is the
one I am asking about.

Earlier this summer they started hanging around because I was feeding
strays (Which I found homes for all or took to shelters). Thing is
this old guy had fleas so bad that when I combed him I could go no
more then 1/2 an inch with out hitting a flea/tick bump. Over the
summer I got him cleared up plus treated his over issues.

When it started getting cold I got the owner to take him indoors
because he started getting colds and acted like he was getting aches
and pains from the cold and I felt sorry for him laying out in the
yard 24/7 even though I got him a dog house to use. I even got the
owner a couple cases of canned food that I had been feeding them
because he just fed him dry and I did not want him to go cold turkey
of the canned. I also got on his case about the cats condition and he
said he is moving in spring and wanted to get rid of some of cats
(which I am working on) but did not want to let the old guy go. That
was about a month ago.


Thing is the old guy got out and came down again and he is now covered
in fleas/ticks worse then before. I am thinking about taking him to
county shelter which is not non kill. The only other shelter only
takes younger animals that they can easily find homes for. I can not
take him because I already have 4 and with Michigan winter coming it
is too cold for him and if he goes back home I am afraid he will
suffer and slowly die from the fleas/ticks.

These people can not afford these cats. They are on food stamps and
WIC coupons (I seen them in the grocery store). They took the
aluminum siding off their house to sell and are over $300 in arrears
on their water bill (Found on city web site) which give you a little
info on them.


The only choices I can take is to send the old guy back to his LEGAL
owner to probably die a slow death :-( or let him spend the
winter in the cold or take to shelter (I tryed to find home for him
but could not).

The way I see it is the only humane thing for THIS cat is to take him
to the shelter and hope for the best.

Opinions??

MoMo via CatKB.com
November 27th 06, 08:39 PM
Problem is, this is not your cat and from a legal standpoint, you could be
setting yourself up for disaster if you neighbor ever finds out you took his
cat. Maybe call the ASPCA and report this guy?

I certainly would not take this guy to a kill shelter. He has no chance
there whatsoever. I find it doubtful that someone is going to come along and
adopt an 11 year old cat (sad but true). My opinion would be to try and take
care of him as much as you can (and thank you for being such a wonderful
person) and see what happens. I mean, the old guy has survived 10 other
Michigan winters.

Good luck and keep us updated!

kraut wrote:
>This is a little on long side but want to give a little background.
>
>There is a neighbor that has several cats that roam the neighborhood
>of which one of them is (He says) about 11 years old and this is the
>one I am asking about.
>
>Earlier this summer they started hanging around because I was feeding
>strays (Which I found homes for all or took to shelters). Thing is
>this old guy had fleas so bad that when I combed him I could go no
>more then 1/2 an inch with out hitting a flea/tick bump. Over the
>summer I got him cleared up plus treated his over issues.
>
>When it started getting cold I got the owner to take him indoors
>because he started getting colds and acted like he was getting aches
>and pains from the cold and I felt sorry for him laying out in the
>yard 24/7 even though I got him a dog house to use. I even got the
>owner a couple cases of canned food that I had been feeding them
>because he just fed him dry and I did not want him to go cold turkey
>of the canned. I also got on his case about the cats condition and he
>said he is moving in spring and wanted to get rid of some of cats
>(which I am working on) but did not want to let the old guy go. That
>was about a month ago.
>
>Thing is the old guy got out and came down again and he is now covered
>in fleas/ticks worse then before. I am thinking about taking him to
>county shelter which is not non kill. The only other shelter only
>takes younger animals that they can easily find homes for. I can not
>take him because I already have 4 and with Michigan winter coming it
>is too cold for him and if he goes back home I am afraid he will
>suffer and slowly die from the fleas/ticks.
>
>These people can not afford these cats. They are on food stamps and
>WIC coupons (I seen them in the grocery store). They took the
>aluminum siding off their house to sell and are over $300 in arrears
>on their water bill (Found on city web site) which give you a little
>info on them.
>
>The only choices I can take is to send the old guy back to his LEGAL
>owner to probably die a slow death :-( or let him spend the
>winter in the cold or take to shelter (I tryed to find home for him
>but could not).
>
>The way I see it is the only humane thing for THIS cat is to take him
>to the shelter and hope for the best.
>
>Opinions??

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200611/1

MoMo via CatKB.com
November 27th 06, 08:57 PM
Also, if you don't mind spending just a little bit of money on the old guy,
you can order Advantage from Petmeds.com. It works wonders on fleas and one
application lasts for 3 months I believe. I want to say that a pack of 4 is
around $40. You can use the others on 3 of your own cats if any of them go
outside.

MoMo wrote:
>Problem is, this is not your cat and from a legal standpoint, you could be
>setting yourself up for disaster if you neighbor ever finds out you took his
>cat. Maybe call the ASPCA and report this guy?
>
>I certainly would not take this guy to a kill shelter. He has no chance
>there whatsoever. I find it doubtful that someone is going to come along and
>adopt an 11 year old cat (sad but true). My opinion would be to try and take
>care of him as much as you can (and thank you for being such a wonderful
>person) and see what happens. I mean, the old guy has survived 10 other
>Michigan winters.
>
>Good luck and keep us updated!
>
>>This is a little on long side but want to give a little background.
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 42 lines]
>>
>>Opinions??

--
Message posted via http://www.catkb.com

maja
November 27th 06, 11:35 PM
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:34:07 +0000, kraut wrote:

>
>
> This is a little on long side but want to give a little background.
>
> There is a neighbor that has several cats that roam the neighborhood of
> which one of them is (He says) about 11 years old and this is the one I am
> asking about.
>
> Earlier this summer they started hanging around because I was feeding
> strays (Which I found homes for all or took to shelters). Thing is this
> old guy had fleas so bad that when I combed him I could go no more then
> 1/2 an inch with out hitting a flea/tick bump. Over the summer I got him
> cleared up plus treated his over issues.
>
> When it started getting cold I got the owner to take him indoors because
> he started getting colds and acted like he was getting aches and pains
> from the cold and I felt sorry for him laying out in the yard 24/7 even
> though I got him a dog house to use. I even got the owner a couple cases
> of canned food that I had been feeding them because he just fed him dry
> and I did not want him to go cold turkey of the canned. I also got on his
> case about the cats condition and he said he is moving in spring and
> wanted to get rid of some of cats (which I am working on) but did not want
> to let the old guy go. That was about a month ago.
>
>
> Thing is the old guy got out and came down again and he is now covered in
> fleas/ticks worse then before. I am thinking about taking him to county
> shelter which is not non kill. The only other shelter only takes younger
> animals that they can easily find homes for. I can not take him because I
> already have 4 and with Michigan winter coming it is too cold for him and
> if he goes back home I am afraid he will suffer and slowly die from the
> fleas/ticks.
>
> These people can not afford these cats. They are on food stamps and WIC
> coupons (I seen them in the grocery store). They took the aluminum siding
> off their house to sell and are over $300 in arrears on their water bill
> (Found on city web site) which give you a little info on them.
>
Snip

This is not only poverty. He could keep his cats inside in
the cold and the heat. He could invest a dollar/euro on a fleacomb, two
dollars/euro on a fleacollar (and check the cats for ticks). In my part of
the world no-brand canned complete food is 20 cent and 3 kilo store-brand
dry complete food is 2 dollar/euro. He could take better care of the cats
with little or no cost. The owner is (partly) irresponsible.


> The only choices I can take is to send the old guy back to his LEGAL owner
> to probably die a slow death :-( or let him spend the winter in the cold
> or take to shelter (I tryed to find home for him but could not).
>
> The way I see it is the only humane thing for THIS cat is to take him to
> the shelter and hope for the best.
>
> Opinions??

Perhaps the country shelter is best. I do not think you would have problems with
ownership (he gave his property no proper care) or you could just deny
everything. But a cat of 11 years is mature, not old. You could comb him
and take care of his other problems so I think he is friendly and social.
There must be working people (single/couple) who want a friendly,
mature and calm cat.

Best of luck

Spot
November 28th 06, 12:33 AM
I would approach him again and ask if you can take the cat in and find him
another home. Just tell him he's too old to be outside in this cold at 11
years old he's not going to make it through the winter if he's gotten colds
already. If nothing get resolved this way then contact the SPCA and see if
they can't do something.

The thing is unless you take him in or someone you know does if he goes to a
shelter chances are he's going to be put to sleep.

Celeste

"kraut" > wrote in message
...
>
>
> This is a little on long side but want to give a little background.
>
> There is a neighbor that has several cats that roam the neighborhood
> of which one of them is (He says) about 11 years old and this is the
> one I am asking about.
>
> Earlier this summer they started hanging around because I was feeding
> strays (Which I found homes for all or took to shelters). Thing is
> this old guy had fleas so bad that when I combed him I could go no
> more then 1/2 an inch with out hitting a flea/tick bump. Over the
> summer I got him cleared up plus treated his over issues.
>
> When it started getting cold I got the owner to take him indoors
> because he started getting colds and acted like he was getting aches
> and pains from the cold and I felt sorry for him laying out in the
> yard 24/7 even though I got him a dog house to use. I even got the
> owner a couple cases of canned food that I had been feeding them
> because he just fed him dry and I did not want him to go cold turkey
> of the canned. I also got on his case about the cats condition and he
> said he is moving in spring and wanted to get rid of some of cats
> (which I am working on) but did not want to let the old guy go. That
> was about a month ago.
>
>
> Thing is the old guy got out and came down again and he is now covered
> in fleas/ticks worse then before. I am thinking about taking him to
> county shelter which is not non kill. The only other shelter only
> takes younger animals that they can easily find homes for. I can not
> take him because I already have 4 and with Michigan winter coming it
> is too cold for him and if he goes back home I am afraid he will
> suffer and slowly die from the fleas/ticks.
>
> These people can not afford these cats. They are on food stamps and
> WIC coupons (I seen them in the grocery store). They took the
> aluminum siding off their house to sell and are over $300 in arrears
> on their water bill (Found on city web site) which give you a little
> info on them.
>
>
> The only choices I can take is to send the old guy back to his LEGAL
> owner to probably die a slow death :-( or let him spend the
> winter in the cold or take to shelter (I tryed to find home for him
> but could not).
>
> The way I see it is the only humane thing for THIS cat is to take him
> to the shelter and hope for the best.
>
> Opinions??

-L.
November 28th 06, 12:45 AM
kraut wrote:
> This is a little on long side but want to give a little background.

You have already answered your question. The cat is roaming so is fair
game. Take him to the shelter where he will have a better life.

-L.

MoMo via CatKB.com
November 28th 06, 01:32 AM
But she is going to bring him to a kill shelter where he will have almost no
chance at survival.

-L. wrote:
>> This is a little on long side but want to give a little background.
>
>You have already answered your question. The cat is roaming so is fair
>game. Take him to the shelter where he will have a better life.
>
>-L.

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200611/1

Julie Porter
November 28th 06, 01:34 AM
I can't agree more. The "owner" has shown that he can't or won't take
care of the cat, even knowing that he's jeopardizing the cat. The cat is
going to be a lot better off at a no-kill shelter. He's certain to die
otherwise. I also would NOT advise the owner that you're doing this on
the off chance that he kills the cat out of irritation or does something
else ill-advised.


"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...
>
> kraut wrote:
> > This is a little on long side but want to give a little background.
>
> You have already answered your question. The cat is roaming so is
fair
> game. Take him to the shelter where he will have a better life.
>
> -L.
>

meeee
November 28th 06, 01:36 AM
"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...
>
> kraut wrote:
>> This is a little on long side but want to give a little background.
>
> You have already answered your question. The cat is roaming so is fair
> game. Take him to the shelter where he will have a better life.
>
> -L.
>
And I really don't see how they can prosecute as they are selling the
aluminium off their house....give him a better life while he still has a
chance. If they cared for him they would at least keep him indoors

2oz
November 28th 06, 01:39 AM
kraut wrote:

> Opinions??

hell, as poor as the owners are i bet they'd appreciate a nice store
bought cake as a gift
( a gift in secret pacifies anger)

THEN... tell them your hearts troubles

poor ain't nothing brutha! poor is poor...
so poor? so what.. don't let poor be a stumbling block
bebeath the lack is the same heart you tout

anyway

HELL YES!

you think they wouldn't BRIGHT UP at someone spending money on dey cat?

I say approach them with a few bux to spend on the cat

I mean that's what it comes down to right?

or hell.. slowly educate them.. OR show them what they are missing

thing is.. if you just cart cat off to no-kill shelter little ****er is
out of his element
no no.. live an let live

cats got more fur than you imagine
dont anthromorphosize, don't shiver for the cat
(btw how cold is it in your hood these days?, lol)

NO you don't owe then nothing.. but I like the part where IF
you can afford to do good and you find a way to do it

WHOEVER SAID THAT DOING GOOD WAS EASY
WHOEVER SAID THAT DOING A GOOD DEED WOULD PRESENT ITSELF
maybe it's ok to make way to do good..

I like what you're doing, walk over there right now, it's only 7:30pm

i bet you sleep with a big **** eatin grin on your face tonight

stop pretending the cat is a human, give the cat some credit for
durability (except the fleas).. otherwise.. CARRY YOUR ASS DOWN TO THE
SUPERMARKET AND GET SOME FUNKY FLEA MEDSIN...

stop bucking up at dey poverty.. their lack is a stumbling block for
you

this post is not about what is right, your post is you telling how
their poverty is a stumbling block

or.. you're scared that if you do what you know is right you won't get
no credit

seeing they are poor ass mf's...

carry your ass down and get some flea spray yo!

and a cake

kraut
November 28th 06, 01:40 AM
Thanks all for your opinions on this.

I have started him on flea/tick treatment again and I have tryed to
find a home for him in the past with no luck. I have found homes for
so many others that I have hit up just about everyone I know and
between me, my ex and my ex-mother in law we have taken in about 16
cats / kittens now and can not afford more.

I guess for now I will just leave him be until I can get his
fleas/ticks cleared up again and until it gets to cold for him in my
opinion. I do know that I am in no hurry to return him to his
"OWNER"!!


>This is a little on long side but want to give a little background.
>
>There is a neighbor that has several cats that roam the neighborhood
>of which one of them is (He says) about 11 years old and this is the
>one I am asking about.
>
>Earlier this summer they started hanging around because I was feeding
>strays (Which I found homes for all or took to shelters). Thing is
>this old guy had fleas so bad that when I combed him I could go no
>more then 1/2 an inch with out hitting a flea/tick bump. Over the
>summer I got him cleared up plus treated his over issues.
>
>When it started getting cold I got the owner to take him indoors
>because he started getting colds and acted like he was getting aches
>and pains from the cold and I felt sorry for him laying out in the
>yard 24/7 even though I got him a dog house to use. I even got the
>owner a couple cases of canned food that I had been feeding them
>because he just fed him dry and I did not want him to go cold turkey
>of the canned. I also got on his case about the cats condition and he
>said he is moving in spring and wanted to get rid of some of cats
>(which I am working on) but did not want to let the old guy go. That
>was about a month ago.
>
>
>Thing is the old guy got out and came down again and he is now covered
>in fleas/ticks worse then before. I am thinking about taking him to
>county shelter which is not non kill. The only other shelter only
>takes younger animals that they can easily find homes for. I can not
>take him because I already have 4 and with Michigan winter coming it
>is too cold for him and if he goes back home I am afraid he will
>suffer and slowly die from the fleas/ticks.
>
>These people can not afford these cats. They are on food stamps and
>WIC coupons (I seen them in the grocery store). They took the
>aluminum siding off their house to sell and are over $300 in arrears
>on their water bill (Found on city web site) which give you a little
>info on them.
>
>
>The only choices I can take is to send the old guy back to his LEGAL
>owner to probably die a slow death :-( or let him spend the
>winter in the cold or take to shelter (I tryed to find home for him
>but could not).
>
>The way I see it is the only humane thing for THIS cat is to take him
>to the shelter and hope for the best.
>
>Opinions??

Candace
November 28th 06, 03:39 AM
Julie Porter wrote:
> I can't agree more. The "owner" has shown that he can't or won't take
> care of the cat, even knowing that he's jeopardizing the cat. The cat is
> going to be a lot better off at a no-kill shelter. He's certain to die
> otherwise. I also would NOT advise the owner that you're doing this on
> the off chance that he kills the cat out of irritation or does something
> else ill-advised.

It's a KILL shelter, not a no-kill shleter. I would NOT take him to a
kill shelter, he will be euthanized. I would look around and find a
no-kill or rescue. There must be one, you might have to give a small
donation so they wil take him but then you will know he is at least
safe.

Please don't take him to a kill shelter. Run some ads, make some
calls, there has to be a no-kill facility somewhere around.

Candace

-L.
November 28th 06, 04:00 AM
2oz wrote:
> kraut wrote:
>
> > Opinions??
>
> hell, as poor as the owners are i bet they'd appreciate a nice store
> bought cake as a gift
> ( a gift in secret pacifies anger)

You sure know a lot about passive-aggressiveness.

>
> THEN... tell them your hearts troubles
>
> poor ain't nothing brutha! poor is poor...
> so poor? so what.. don't let poor be a stumbling block
> bebeath the lack is the same heart you tout
>

You sure know a lot about poor.

> anyway
>
> HELL YES!
>
> you think they wouldn't BRIGHT UP at someone spending money on dey cat?
>
> I say approach them with a few bux to spend on the cat
>
> I mean that's what it comes down to right?
>
> or hell.. slowly educate them.. OR show them what they are missing
>
> thing is.. if you just cart cat off to no-kill shelter little ****er is
> out of his element
> no no.. live an let live
>
> cats got more fur than you imagine
> dont anthromorphosize, don't shiver for the cat
> (btw how cold is it in your hood these days?, lol)

Cats freeze to death every day - especially old, thin ones.

>
> NO you don't owe then nothing.. but I like the part where IF
> you can afford to do good and you find a way to do it
>
> WHOEVER SAID THAT DOING GOOD WAS EASY
> WHOEVER SAID THAT DOING A GOOD DEED WOULD PRESENT ITSELF
> maybe it's ok to make way to do good..
>
> I like what you're doing, walk over there right now, it's only 7:30pm
>
> i bet you sleep with a big **** eatin grin on your face tonight
>
> stop pretending the cat is a human, give the cat some credit for
> durability (except the fleas).. otherwise.. CARRY YOUR ASS DOWN TO THE
> SUPERMARKET AND GET SOME FUNKY FLEA MEDSIN...

Do not use grocery store flea meds on a cat. Revolution, Advantage or
Frontline are the only ones that are safe.

>
> stop bucking up at dey poverty.. their lack is a stumbling block for
> you
>
> this post is not about what is right, your post is you telling how
> their poverty is a stumbling block
>
> or.. you're scared that if you do what you know is right you won't get
> no credit
>
> seeing they are poor ass mf's...

YOU sure know a lot about poor ass mo fos!

How's that shiny bald head of your'n?

-L.

November 28th 06, 06:16 AM
I'm glad to hear this is the option you're selecting - and I'm
definitely going to encourage you to do whatever you can - pick up some
Frontline - maybe you can make a warm space for him in your garage or
by the side of the house (?), but I would be leery of taking him into a
no-kill shelter. It's a tough transition for an outdoor cat to spend a
year or more in a cage, and as much as I'd like to be optimistic that
an angel will come along for him - the reality is that people rarely,
rarely adopt cats at 10+ years of age. (I remember going virtually door
to door for a sweet 10 year old tabby girl who had been "rescued" from
a somewhat neglectful owner and deposited at a no-kill and had been
sitting there for months - my efforts resulted in three people telling
me they wanted to "get rid of THEIR 10 year old cats and would my
shelter re-home them?". It was the saddest thing I ever saw. That poor
kitty passed on at 12 years old of cancer - still in the no-kill
shelter. There are NO guarantees. Everybody just thought "vet bills"
when thy saw her. Not one serious bite in 18+ months. It's not always
being a good samaritan to be a good samaritan. Just try to help the cat
in the situation that it's in - that would be my advice.

Best


Tracy

kraut wrote:
> Thanks all for your opinions on this.
>
> I have started him on flea/tick treatment again and I have tryed to
> find a home for him in the past with no luck. I have found homes for
> so many others that I have hit up just about everyone I know and
> between me, my ex and my ex-mother in law we have taken in about 16
> cats / kittens now and can not afford more.
>
> I guess for now I will just leave him be until I can get his
> fleas/ticks cleared up again and until it gets to cold for him in my
> opinion. I do know that I am in no hurry to return him to his
> "OWNER"!!
>
>
> >This is a little on long side but want to give a little background.
> >
> >There is a neighbor that has several cats that roam the neighborhood
> >of which one of them is (He says) about 11 years old and this is the
> >one I am asking about.
> >
> >Earlier this summer they started hanging around because I was feeding
> >strays (Which I found homes for all or took to shelters). Thing is
> >this old guy had fleas so bad that when I combed him I could go no
> >more then 1/2 an inch with out hitting a flea/tick bump. Over the
> >summer I got him cleared up plus treated his over issues.
> >
> >When it started getting cold I got the owner to take him indoors
> >because he started getting colds and acted like he was getting aches
> >and pains from the cold and I felt sorry for him laying out in the
> >yard 24/7 even though I got him a dog house to use. I even got the
> >owner a couple cases of canned food that I had been feeding them
> >because he just fed him dry and I did not want him to go cold turkey
> >of the canned. I also got on his case about the cats condition and he
> >said he is moving in spring and wanted to get rid of some of cats
> >(which I am working on) but did not want to let the old guy go. That
> >was about a month ago.
> >
> >
> >Thing is the old guy got out and came down again and he is now covered
> >in fleas/ticks worse then before. I am thinking about taking him to
> >county shelter which is not non kill. The only other shelter only
> >takes younger animals that they can easily find homes for. I can not
> >take him because I already have 4 and with Michigan winter coming it
> >is too cold for him and if he goes back home I am afraid he will
> >suffer and slowly die from the fleas/ticks.
> >
> >These people can not afford these cats. They are on food stamps and
> >WIC coupons (I seen them in the grocery store). They took the
> >aluminum siding off their house to sell and are over $300 in arrears
> >on their water bill (Found on city web site) which give you a little
> >info on them.
> >
> >
> >The only choices I can take is to send the old guy back to his LEGAL
> >owner to probably die a slow death :-( or let him spend the
> >winter in the cold or take to shelter (I tryed to find home for him
> >but could not).
> >
> >The way I see it is the only humane thing for THIS cat is to take him
> >to the shelter and hope for the best.
> >
> >Opinions??

November 28th 06, 01:36 PM
kraut wrote:

> I guess for now I will just leave him be until I can get his
> fleas/ticks cleared up again and until it gets to cold for him in my
> opinion. I do know that I am in no hurry to return him to his
> "OWNER"!!

Hi there,

it sounds to me like he might have gotten his fleas in his owner's
house, so he's better off outside with the treatment and food from you.
If you've ever been to a flea-infested house you'll know that all you
want to do is run, so that's probably why he is back hanging out in
your yard. Not sure whether your doghouse is winter-proof, maybe you
can work on that. Older cats do tend to deal a little less easily with
the cold even if they were always outside, maybe you can at least let
him inside (basement, laundry room) at night? Unfortunately he doesn't
really stand a chance at a county shelter at his age, so hopefully you
can find a home for him with patience.

Good luck!

Eva Quesnell
November 28th 06, 07:17 PM
On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, kraut wrote:

>
>
> Thanks all for your opinions on this.
>
> I have started him on flea/tick treatment again and I have tryed to
> find a home for him in the past with no luck. I have found homes for
> so many others that I have hit up just about everyone I know and
> between me, my ex and my ex-mother in law we have taken in about 16
> cats / kittens now and can not afford more.
>
> I guess for now I will just leave him be until I can get his
> fleas/ticks cleared up again and until it gets to cold for him in my
> opinion. I do know that I am in no hurry to return him to his
> "OWNER"!!

Well, how about a little compromise? What if you continue to do what you
can for this boy? If you were to put some kind of warm shelter outside
for him, at least he would have a place to be warm. I think it's better
than the option of taking him to a kill shelter. Too bad you can't take
him in, but I know you can't save them all.

Eva

Julie Porter
November 29th 06, 01:44 AM
"Candace" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Julie Porter wrote:
> > I can't agree more. The "owner" has shown that he can't or won't
take
> > care of the cat, even knowing that he's jeopardizing the cat. The
cat is
> > going to be a lot better off at a no-kill shelter. He's certain to
die
> > otherwise. I also would NOT advise the owner that you're doing this
on
> > the off chance that he kills the cat out of irritation or does
something
> > else ill-advised.
>
> It's a KILL shelter, not a no-kill shleter. I would NOT take him to a
> kill shelter, he will be euthanized. I would look around and find a
> no-kill or rescue. There must be one, you might have to give a small
> donation so they wil take him but then you will know he is at least
> safe.
>
> Please don't take him to a kill shelter. Run some ads, make some
> calls, there has to be a no-kill facility somewhere around.
>
> Candace
>
Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, well, by all means he can't go to a kill
shelter!

meeee
November 29th 06, 06:12 AM
"Julie Porter" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>
> "Candace" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Julie Porter wrote:
>> > I can't agree more. The "owner" has shown that he can't or won't
> take
>> > care of the cat, even knowing that he's jeopardizing the cat. The
> cat is
>> > going to be a lot better off at a no-kill shelter. He's certain to
> die
>> > otherwise. I also would NOT advise the owner that you're doing this
> on
>> > the off chance that he kills the cat out of irritation or does
> something
>> > else ill-advised.
>>
>> It's a KILL shelter, not a no-kill shleter. I would NOT take him to a
>> kill shelter, he will be euthanized. I would look around and find a
>> no-kill or rescue. There must be one, you might have to give a small
>> donation so they wil take him but then you will know he is at least
>> safe.
>>
>> Please don't take him to a kill shelter. Run some ads, make some
>> calls, there has to be a no-kill facility somewhere around.
>>
>> Candace
>>
> Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, well, by all means he can't go to a kill
> shelter!
>
>

Oh no!! You can't do that....make him a 'kennel' in your backyard and buy
him some Advantage for the fleas! Not that expensive, and what price a cat's
life?

kraut
November 29th 06, 03:41 PM
>>> I can't agree more. The "owner" has shown that he can't or won't
>>>take care of the cat, even knowing that he's jeopardizing the cat. The
>>>cat is going to be a lot better off at a no-kill shelter. He's certain to
>>>die otherwise. I also would NOT advise the owner that you're doing this
>>>on the off chance that he kills the cat out of irritation or does
>>>something else ill-advised.
>>>

>> It's a KILL shelter, not a no-kill shleter. I would NOT take him to a
>> kill shelter, he will be euthanized. I would look around and find a
>> no-kill or rescue. There must be one, you might have to give a small
>> donation so they wil take him but then you will know he is at least
>> safe.
>>
>> Please don't take him to a kill shelter. Run some ads, make some
>> calls, there has to be a no-kill facility somewhere around.
>>
>> Candace
>>

>Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, well, by all means he can't go to a kill
>shelter!
>

One thing I found one about these groups is that when it come to the
subject of having a cat put down people get as emotional about it as
they do about declawing. Some people would rather keep a cat alive no
matter what the conditions the cat has to live in.

I was the one that posted the original post. I do not know how many
people read the original post and know what I was talking about but as
I said then the 3 choices I can take is to send the old guy back to
his LEGAL owner to probably die a slow death from fleas and ticks
:-( or let him spend the winter in the cold or take to shelter (I
tried to find home for him but could not).

As I said in my second post:

I have started him on flea/tick treatment again and I have tried to
find a home for him in the past with no luck. I have found homes for
so many others that I have hit up just about everyone I know and
between me, my ex and my ex-mother in law we have taken in about 16
cats / kittens now and can not afford more.

I guess for now I will just leave him be until I can get his
fleas/ticks cleared up again and until it gets to cold for him in my
opinion. I do know that I am in no hurry to return him to his
"OWNER"!!

NEW POST FOLLOWS:

I can not take another one in but got him a dog house to get shelter
in. I put it in an out of the way place and hopefully no one will
find it and take it. If they do he will be without shelter this winter
when I can not get out. Also I do not live where the cat is. I
make a daily trip there to feed and with winter coming and me being 63
I am not a winter driver so if the cat stays outside it will not be
fed on a regular basis.

After having 16 cats spayed / neutered and vaccinated plus the ones I
found homes for I have to say enough. I am retired and lived on
social security and can not keep this up. It is easy for people to
say what a person should do but when it comes right down to it a
person has to look at the situation realistically.

I am still wanting to rehome him but no one wants and old cat that is
infested with fleas and ticks.

Someone might say I did not mention this or that but I did say the
choices I had and asked opinion about it and would still appreciate
opinions about the choices I have.

-L.
December 2nd 06, 04:06 AM
kraut wrote:
>
> NEW POST FOLLOWS:
>
> I can not take another one in but got him a dog house to get shelter
> in. I put it in an out of the way place and hopefully no one will
> find it and take it. If they do he will be without shelter this winter
> when I can not get out. Also I do not live where the cat is. I
> make a daily trip there to feed and with winter coming and me being 63
> I am not a winter driver so if the cat stays outside it will not be
> fed on a regular basis.
>
> After having 16 cats spayed / neutered and vaccinated plus the ones I
> found homes for I have to say enough. I am retired and lived on
> social security and can not keep this up. It is easy for people to
> say what a person should do but when it comes right down to it a
> person has to look at the situation realistically.
>
> I am still wanting to rehome him but no one wants and old cat that is
> infested with fleas and ticks.
>
> Someone might say I did not mention this or that but I did say the
> choices I had and asked opinion about it and would still appreciate
> opinions about the choices I have.

You are doing the right thing. People get all bent out of shape at the
mention of a kill shelter but for some animals death at a kill shelter
is more humane than their life. Freezing to death isn't humane.
Allowing the cat to under go frostbite isn't humane. At some point you
may have to bite the bullet and take him to a shelter even if it is a
kill shelter. You know this - and at least you are rational about it.

-L.

Cheryl
December 2nd 06, 04:33 AM
On Fri 01 Dec 2006 10:06:02p, -L. wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com>:

> You are doing the right thing. People get all bent out of shape
> at the mention of a kill shelter but for some animals death at a
> kill shelter is more humane than their life. Freezing to death
> isn't humane. Allowing the cat to under go frostbite isn't
> humane. At some point you may have to bite the bullet and take
> him to a shelter even if it is a kill shelter. You know this -
> and at least you are rational about it.

I am mixed about this, but in the end I'd have to say that if the cat
can't reproduce, I'd rather it spend it's life living the way it
knows how to rather than be surrendered to a cage or euthanism. It
hurts us that it will die a painful death, but so do squirrels,
birds, mice, and all of the other wild creatures. These are cats that
are used to living wild. They don't freeze to death. They are killed
by more violent means, like cars, idiot humans, disease.

--
Cheryl

-L.
December 2nd 06, 10:55 AM
Cheryl wrote:
>
> I am mixed about this, but in the end I'd have to say that if the cat
> can't reproduce, I'd rather it spend it's life living the way it
> knows how to rather than be surrendered to a cage or euthanism. It
> hurts us that it will die a painful death, but so do squirrels,
> birds, mice, and all of the other wild creatures. These are cats that
> are used to living wild. They don't freeze to death. They are killed
> by more violent means, like cars, idiot humans, disease.
>
> --
> Cheryl

Some do freeze to death - or die of illness. My Mom had a cat she fed
for years - she called him Grey Ghost. A big fluffy grey Tom -
*extremely* shy. All I ever saw of him was his silhouette or a grey
streak. Couldn't catch him or trap him - she tried and tried.
Eventually he showed up in the middle of Winter extremely sick with URI
- he was crying for food/help but she couldn't get a hold of him in any
way - called Animal Control and no one would come help her. She fed
him antibiotics in his food, and left the cat door open for him in the
garage - he was too shy to go in - but eventually he disappeared. The
neighbor found him the next Spring - or what was left of him. He
shouldn't have died like that. If you see an animal suffering, I think
you have a responsibility to stop the suffering, if you can. If the
animal is getting by - sure let it be. But what I am talking about is
an animal clearly in need. I am haunted by a couple of images from my
youth where I should have done something (starving dogs) and didn't.

-L.

kraut
December 2nd 06, 07:38 PM
>> I am mixed about this, but in the end I'd have to say that if the cat
>> can't reproduce, I'd rather it spend it's life living the way it
>> knows how to rather than be surrendered to a cage or euthanism. It
>> hurts us that it will die a painful death, but so do squirrels,
>> birds, mice, and all of the other wild creatures. These are cats that
>> are used to living wild. They don't freeze to death. They are killed
>> by more violent means, like cars, idiot humans, disease.
>>
>> --
>> Cheryl


>Some do freeze to death - or die of illness. My Mom had a cat she fed
>for years - she called him Grey Ghost. A big fluffy grey Tom -
>*extremely* shy. All I ever saw of him was his silhouette or a grey
>streak. Couldn't catch him or trap him - she tried and tried.
>Eventually he showed up in the middle of Winter extremely sick with URI
>- he was crying for food/help but she couldn't get a hold of him in any
>way - called Animal Control and no one would come help her. She fed
>him antibiotics in his food, and left the cat door open for him in the
>garage - he was too shy to go in - but eventually he disappeared. The
>neighbor found him the next Spring - or what was left of him. He
>shouldn't have died like that. If you see an animal suffering, I think
>you have a responsibility to stop the suffering, if you can. If the
>animal is getting by - sure let it be. But what I am talking about is
>an animal clearly in need. I am haunted by a couple of images from my
>youth where I should have done something (starving dogs) and didn't.

The old guy was getting sick and looked like he had trouble getting
around when the night time temps just got to the 30s as I said in the
ready post so I can imagine what he is going to be like when the temps
drop into the teens and there is several inches of snow on the ground.
I think I would rather have him put down which is the direction I am
leaning. It is not always best for a creature of anykind to be kept
alive especially if they are going to have to go through what this guy
will judging by the way he has been so far and the worse is yet to
come here in Michigan.

cybercat
December 2nd 06, 08:30 PM
"kraut" > wrote
> The old guy was getting sick and looked like he had trouble getting
> around when the night time temps just got to the 30s as I said in the
> ready post so I can imagine what he is going to be like when the temps
> drop into the teens and there is several inches of snow on the ground.
> I think I would rather have him put down which is the direction I am
> leaning. It is not always best for a creature of anykind to be kept
> alive especially if they are going to have to go through what this guy
> will judging by the way he has been so far and the worse is yet to
> come here in Michigan.
>
>

Is there really no place he could go to live out his days in warmth
and safety? A heated barn, maybe? Cats are useful to farmers and
horse people, who often do not mind feeding them if they will keep
rodents out of the grain. Where are you? Can I make some calls
for you? I could call around and see if someone would make him a
barn cat. If I find someone, can you trap him? (Forgive any questions
that have already been answered, I have not followed this thread,
but I want to help in a real way if I can.)

Wendy
December 7th 06, 05:01 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
...
>
> "kraut" > wrote
>> The old guy was getting sick and looked like he had trouble getting
>> around when the night time temps just got to the 30s as I said in the
>> ready post so I can imagine what he is going to be like when the temps
>> drop into the teens and there is several inches of snow on the ground.
>> I think I would rather have him put down which is the direction I am
>> leaning. It is not always best for a creature of anykind to be kept
>> alive especially if they are going to have to go through what this guy
>> will judging by the way he has been so far and the worse is yet to
>> come here in Michigan.
>>
>>
>
> Is there really no place he could go to live out his days in warmth
> and safety? A heated barn, maybe? Cats are useful to farmers and
> horse people, who often do not mind feeding them if they will keep
> rodents out of the grain. Where are you? Can I make some calls
> for you? I could call around and see if someone would make him a
> barn cat. If I find someone, can you trap him? (Forgive any questions
> that have already been answered, I have not followed this thread,
> but I want to help in a real way if I can.)
>

Ah the elusive barn homes. Great if you can find one. Actually if there is a
horse farm around that isn't already overrun with cats they might be
interested. The cat controls the mice which can play havoc with the tack.

If that doesn't work then go on petfinder and contact any rescue groups in
your area. If all else fails and he's struggling outside then the shelter
might be the best of the options left. Beats finding the remains in the
spring.

W

Julie Porter
December 7th 06, 05:23 PM
"Wendy" > wrote in message
...
>
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> ...
> >
> > "kraut" > wrote
> >> The old guy was getting sick and looked like he had trouble getting
> >> around when the night time temps just got to the 30s as I said in
the
> >> ready post so I can imagine what he is going to be like when the
temps
> >> drop into the teens and there is several inches of snow on the
ground.
> >> I think I would rather have him put down which is the direction I
am
> >> leaning. It is not always best for a creature of anykind to be
kept
> >> alive especially if they are going to have to go through what this
guy
> >> will judging by the way he has been so far and the worse is yet to
> >> come here in Michigan.
> >>
> >>
> >
> > Is there really no place he could go to live out his days in warmth
> > and safety? A heated barn, maybe? Cats are useful to farmers and
> > horse people, who often do not mind feeding them if they will keep
> > rodents out of the grain. Where are you? Can I make some calls
> > for you? I could call around and see if someone would make him a
> > barn cat. If I find someone, can you trap him? (Forgive any
questions
> > that have already been answered, I have not followed this thread,
> > but I want to help in a real way if I can.)
> >
>
> Ah the elusive barn homes. Great if you can find one. Actually if
there is a
> horse farm around that isn't already overrun with cats they might be
> interested. The cat controls the mice which can play havoc with the
tack.
>
> If that doesn't work then go on petfinder and contact any rescue
groups in
> your area. If all else fails and he's struggling outside then the
shelter
> might be the best of the options left. Beats finding the remains in
the
> spring.
>
> W
>
Also, if you could bring him inside your own home, if the number of cats
you already have wasn't an issue, I wonder if local rescue groups would
chip in some food. I have 11 cats, and one of the rescue groups here is
always offering me surplus food, since so much is donated to them.

Julie