PDA

View Full Version : In or out?

Jay Kaner
November 28th 06, 02:26 AM
Hi group.

Just got a kitten (Our first cat) She's 7 weeks old.

I don't know what to do regarding whether to keep her indoors all the time
or let her out.

I think with winter coming and the cat being so young, I will keep her
indoors till the spring when things start warming up and decide what to do
from there.

Is it ok to keep cats indoors all the time? Or do they 'need' to be let
out? Does it have to be a 'one or the other' decision?

If it is, will keeping the kitten indoors over winter have an effect on the
in/out option come spring time?

I'd like to know peoples views on this?

One other thing. Is it normal for a kitten to 'purr' constantly? When I
say 'purr', it's not like the purrs I've heard from adult cats when they're
being stroked. It doesn't seem like she's purring because something nice is
happening to her, as in, say, being stroked. This goes on for most of the
time she's awake. Is it normal for a kitten to 'purr' like this?

Cheers

Jay

Matthew
November 28th 06, 02:33 AM
"Jay Kaner" > wrote in message
> Hi group.
>
> Just got a kitten (Our first cat) She's 7 weeks old.
>
> I don't know what to do regarding whether to keep her indoors all the time
> or let her out.
>
> I think with winter coming and the cat being so young, I will keep her
> indoors till the spring when things start warming up and decide what to do
> from there.
>
> Is it ok to keep cats indoors all the time? Or do they 'need' to be let
> out? Does it have to be a 'one or the other' decision?

No they don't need to be let out. A cat can stay indoors all their life
with no problems

> If it is, will keeping the kitten indoors over winter have an effect on
> the
> in/out option come spring time?

7 weeks is just a baby IMO KEEP THE FURBALL INSIDE. This will start a major
debate but think about the area you live in how many cars go by a 3 mile
radius of your house daily. Winter will kill a baby cat if they can't find
shelter. Think about all the predators out there and not just animal think
about human and the dangers they will cause purposely.

But it also depends on the are you live in the USA has more dangers than
say Europe. You have to make the judgment call. Think about it from a
child point of view what will they get into and what can hurt them

Phil has a great site about all of this
http://www.maxshouse.com/outdoor_risks.htm

> I'd like to know peoples views on this?
>
> One other thing. Is it normal for a kitten to 'purr' constantly? When
> say 'purr', it's not like the purrs I've heard from adult cats when
> they're
> being stroked. It doesn't seem like she's purring because something nice
> is
> happening to her, as in, say, being stroked. This goes on for most of
> the
> time she's awake. Is it normal for a kitten to 'purr' like this?
>
> Cheers
>
> Jay

A cat will purr even when it is dying or in pain.

jmc
November 28th 06, 11:48 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Jay Kaner exclaimed (28-Nov-06 11:56 AM):
> Hi group.
>
> Just got a kitten (Our first cat) She's 7 weeks old.
>
> I don't know what to do regarding whether to keep her indoors all the time
> or let her out.
>
> I think with winter coming and the cat being so young, I will keep her
> indoors till the spring when things start warming up and decide what to do
> from there.
>
> Is it ok to keep cats indoors all the time? Or do they 'need' to be let
> out? Does it have to be a 'one or the other' decision?
>
> If it is, will keeping the kitten indoors over winter have an effect on the
> in/out option come spring time?
>
> I'd like to know peoples views on this?
>
> One other thing. Is it normal for a kitten to 'purr' constantly? When I
> say 'purr', it's not like the purrs I've heard from adult cats when they're
> being stroked. It doesn't seem like she's purring because something nice is
> happening to her, as in, say, being stroked. This goes on for most of the
> time she's awake. Is it normal for a kitten to 'purr' like this?
>
> Cheers
>
> Jay

Oh, you've opened a can of worms here! This is a subject that often
devolves into a flameware.

I'm a moderate on this subject. I think if it has to be black or white,
all indoor is better than all outdoor. She'll be healthier, and live
longer, as an indoor cat. If you give her plenty of attention and
sufficient toys, etc to keep her occupied, she'll be a happy indoor
kitty as well.

However, if you have a safe, enclosed outdoor area, I see no harm in
letting her outside, "under supervision". This is what Meep gets. We
let her outside in our enclosed back yard, but only when we're home, and
if we're not out there, we check on her periodically. She's never out
at night, or out when we're not home. It's our choice to offer to let
her go out, but her choice whether she does so.

As for the purring... cats do purr for other reasons than happiness.
I've never come across a kitten that purrs continuously, but that
doesn't mean much. Is there anything else that seems off about her?
Does she seem quieter than you'd expect a kitten to be? Does she eat
and eliminate normally? Does she cry, or hiss at odd times? It's
probably nothing, but if anything else seems odd about her, a call to
the vet wouldn't be amiss.

At any rate, if you haven't already, you should take her to the vet for
a checkup anyway, find out what shots she needs and when... and you can
ask the vet about her purring.

jmc

November 28th 06, 12:18 PM
Jay Kaner wrote:

> Just got a kitten (Our first cat) She's 7 weeks old.
> I don't know what to do regarding whether to keep her indoors all the time
> or let her out.
At seven weeks, she is too small anyways to be outside.

> I think with winter coming and the cat being so young, I will keep her
> indoors till the spring when things start warming up and decide what to do
> from there.
Whatever you decide to do, make sure all of her vaccinations are
up-to-date and she is spayed before you let her outside, or you will
likely end up with a litter of kittens.

> Is it ok to keep cats indoors all the time?
It is ok to keep a cat indoors, provided they've never know anything
else. Preferably you should have two cats though, so they can keep each
other company. Maybe there's still a littermate of the kitten
available?

> Or do they 'need' to be let out? Does it have to be a 'one or the other' decision?
You will hear lots of opinions about this - I have always adopted adult
cats which had been outdoor-only / indoor-outdoor when I adopted them,
so they remained that way. I have a bias towards trying to leave a cat
indoors if you adopt a kitten (kittens). If they accept it, great, if
not, you may decide to let them outside IF you live in a safe
environment, the cats are neutered, microchipped and have all their
vaccinations. Keep in mind that you will need to treat for fleas and
deworm regularly.

> If it is, will keeping the kitten indoors over winter have an effect on the in/out option come spring time?
She will know her home well by the time you start letting her out :-)

_eek_
November 28th 06, 12:28 PM
Jay Kaner wrote:
> Hi group.
>
> Just got a kitten (Our first cat) She's 7 weeks old.
>
> I don't know what to do regarding whether to keep her indoors all the time
> or let her out.
>
> I think with winter coming and the cat being so young, I will keep her
> indoors till the spring when things start warming up and decide what to do
> from there.
>
> Is it ok to keep cats indoors all the time? Or do they 'need' to be let
> out? Does it have to be a 'one or the other' decision?
>
> If it is, will keeping the kitten indoors over winter have an effect on the
> in/out option come spring time?
>
> I'd like to know peoples views on this?
>
> One other thing. Is it normal for a kitten to 'purr' constantly? When I
> say 'purr', it's not like the purrs I've heard from adult cats when they're
> being stroked. It doesn't seem like she's purring because something nice is
> happening to her, as in, say, being stroked. This goes on for most of the
> time she's awake. Is it normal for a kitten to 'purr' like this?
>
> Cheers
>
> Jay

For Gods shake let your cat out,she has to discover,play and learn in
natural enviroment.Do not have your cat caged in your
appartment,especially now that she is young no matter how many silly
cat toys you have

bobblespin
November 28th 06, 03:35 PM
"Jay Kaner" > wrote in
:

> Hi group.
>
> Just got a kitten (Our first cat) She's 7 weeks old.
>
> I don't know what to do regarding whether to keep her indoors all the
> time or let her out.
>
> I think with winter coming and the cat being so young, I will keep her
> indoors till the spring when things start warming up and decide what
> to do from there.
>
> Is it ok to keep cats indoors all the time? Or do they 'need' to be
> let out? Does it have to be a 'one or the other' decision?
>
> If it is, will keeping the kitten indoors over winter have an effect
> on the in/out option come spring time?
>
> I'd like to know peoples views on this?
>
> One other thing. Is it normal for a kitten to 'purr' constantly?
> When I say 'purr', it's not like the purrs I've heard from adult cats
> when they're being stroked. It doesn't seem like she's purring
> because something nice is happening to her, as in, say, being stroked.
> This goes on for most of the time she's awake. Is it normal for a
> kitten to 'purr' like this?
>
> Cheers
>
> Jay

I've had indoor cats and outdoor cats. The indoor cats lived to be 17
and 19 years of age. The outdoor ones all died around 12 and cost me a
fortune in vet bills (cat fights, flea treatments, etc.).

We made sure our indoor cats knew the outside of their house by taking
them out on a leash & harness regularly. If your cat runs out (as most
do) or a visitor or burglar lets her out, you want her to know the
smells outside her house so she can find her way back. However, never
leave her outside on the leash unattended because she might be attacked
and defenseless.

If I had my druthers, all my cats would be indoor cats. Birds and
chipmunks are safer, and so are the cats (think cars, dogs, other cats,
falls from trees or fences, poisons left out by nasty neighbours who are
fed up with your cat digging their flower or vegetable gardens, etc.).

Bobble

--
Have you hugged your cat today?

Sonny's web page --> http://web.ncf.ca/ai151/index2.html

Matthew
November 28th 06, 04:02 PM
"_eek_" >

< snipped for just being posted by this person>

Get some mental help.

Eva Quesnell
November 28th 06, 06:30 PM
On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, Jay Kaner wrote:

> Hi group.
>
> Just got a kitten (Our first cat) She's 7 weeks old.
>
> I don't know what to do regarding whether to keep her indoors all the time
> or let her out.
>
> I think with winter coming and the cat being so young, I will keep her
> indoors till the spring when things start warming up and decide what to do
> from there.
>
> Is it ok to keep cats indoors all the time? Or do they 'need' to be let
> out? Does it have to be a 'one or the other' decision?
>
> If it is, will keeping the kitten indoors over winter have an effect on the
> in/out option come spring time?
>
> I'd like to know peoples views on this?
>
> One other thing. Is it normal for a kitten to 'purr' constantly? When I
> say 'purr', it's not like the purrs I've heard from adult cats when they're
> being stroked. It doesn't seem like she's purring because something nice is
> happening to her, as in, say, being stroked. This goes on for most of the
> time she's awake. Is it normal for a kitten to 'purr' like this?
>
> Cheers
>
> Jay

I agree with the others who've said 7 weeks is too young to go outside
alone. I personally keep my cats indoors only. Some people think that's
mean. But the last cat I allowed to be indoor-outdoor disappeared when he
was only 18 months old. That's the last cat I allowed to go outside. I
live in a rural area, and I thought he'd be OK out there since I had
another cat at the time who came and went as he pleased. He lived to be
17, but he was the exception, I think. There are many dangers outside --
cars, dogs, people.

I also think it's important for indoor kitties to have another cat as a
playmate. They need their own furniture, too. I have lots of cat trees
and other things for them to rip to shreds.

My brother has two cats that he lets roam anywhere they want. They kill
everything they can find. I'm sure that most of the pheasant babies in
the area have fallen prey to these two cats. That's another reason I
don't like to let the cats outside. Mine get their killing thrills by
getting a mouse or two a year who think it's a good idea to come in here
when it starts to get cold.

I don't know about the purring thing either. I had a cat once who purred
if you looked at him. But kittens will purr to comfort themselves. He's
a little young to be taken away from his mother and his siblings, and he
may be doing so much purring because he's lonesome for feline
companionship. I suggest you get another kitten and let them grow up
together. The best time to introduce a second cat is when they are so
young and will take to each other easily.

Good luck!

Eva

November 29th 06, 08:53 AM
By all means, keep the cat inside when she's young. At seven weeks old,
she is far too young - unsupervised or supervised. If you decide to go
indoors/outdoors, do some hard calculating about how safe the outdoor
area is, introduce her outdoors with a harness and
make sure she is supervised the first dozen plus times she ventures
outside and that you do not leave her outside unsupervised until you
know the extent of her territory, the other neighborhood cats, and that
she knows to stay away from the street and moving cars.
Also, she must be spayed prior to going outside. And it is okay to keep
her indoors with a playmate if you decide to go that way.

-Tracy

Eva Quesnell wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, Jay Kaner wrote:
>
> > Hi group.
> >
> > Just got a kitten (Our first cat) She's 7 weeks old.
> >
> > I don't know what to do regarding whether to keep her indoors all the time
> > or let her out.
> >
> > I think with winter coming and the cat being so young, I will keep her
> > indoors till the spring when things start warming up and decide what to do
> > from there.
> >
> > Is it ok to keep cats indoors all the time? Or do they 'need' to be let
> > out? Does it have to be a 'one or the other' decision?
> >
> > If it is, will keeping the kitten indoors over winter have an effect on the
> > in/out option come spring time?
> >
> > I'd like to know peoples views on this?
> >
> > One other thing. Is it normal for a kitten to 'purr' constantly? When I
> > say 'purr', it's not like the purrs I've heard from adult cats when they're
> > being stroked. It doesn't seem like she's purring because something nice is
> > happening to her, as in, say, being stroked. This goes on for most of the
> > time she's awake. Is it normal for a kitten to 'purr' like this?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Jay
>
> I agree with the others who've said 7 weeks is too young to go outside
> alone. I personally keep my cats indoors only. Some people think that's
> mean. But the last cat I allowed to be indoor-outdoor disappeared when he
> was only 18 months old. That's the last cat I allowed to go outside. I
> live in a rural area, and I thought he'd be OK out there since I had
> another cat at the time who came and went as he pleased. He lived to be
> 17, but he was the exception, I think. There are many dangers outside --
> cars, dogs, people.
>
> I also think it's important for indoor kitties to have another cat as a
> playmate. They need their own furniture, too. I have lots of cat trees
> and other things for them to rip to shreds.
>
> My brother has two cats that he lets roam anywhere they want. They kill
> everything they can find. I'm sure that most of the pheasant babies in
> the area have fallen prey to these two cats. That's another reason I
> don't like to let the cats outside. Mine get their killing thrills by
> getting a mouse or two a year who think it's a good idea to come in here
> when it starts to get cold.
>
> I don't know about the purring thing either. I had a cat once who purred
> if you looked at him. But kittens will purr to comfort themselves. He's
> a little young to be taken away from his mother and his siblings, and he
> may be doing so much purring because he's lonesome for feline
> companionship. I suggest you get another kitten and let them grow up
> together. The best time to introduce a second cat is when they are so
> young and will take to each other easily.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Eva

m4816k
November 29th 06, 12:46 PM
> Oh, you've opened a can of worms here! This is a subject that often
> devolves into a flameware.
>
> I'm a moderate on this subject. I think if it has to be black or white,
> all indoor is better than all outdoor.

I agree and prefer indoor/outdoor scheme. As I said before here, my
neighbour has an indoor/outdoor cat who is 14 years old, and still in great
shape.
At such young age I'd only take her out in my hands, but kittens try to
escape when they want to play so that's not always safe.
Of course, every case is a little diferent, for example here where I live we
don't have a lot of traffic (our gests from cities always say that they had
best nights of sleep in their lives) so very few people keep cats always
indoors. I teached my cat (6 month old, male) that it's OK to be outside
during the day, but that he'll come in at night. He doesen't mind that at
all, and even when he's outside he's always close to us (on the terrace or
around the trees). On few occasions he went to neighbours' yards but they
don't mind him and know him well. Those living in flats keep cats indoors of
course, but one of my friends who's in such situation has a cat that is
overweight and passive, cause they don't have much time to play with him and
never let him outside. So I don't think there's a perfect sollution, but I'd
advise you to introduce her to the outdoors carefully and gradually. Good
luck!

She'll be healthier, and live
> longer, as an indoor cat. If you give her plenty of attention and
> sufficient toys, etc to keep her occupied, she'll be a happy indoor kitty
> as well.
>
> However, if you have a safe, enclosed outdoor area, I see no harm in
> letting her outside, "under supervision". This is what Meep gets. We let
> her outside in our enclosed back yard, but only when we're home, and if
> we're not out there, we check on her periodically. She's never out at
> night, or out when we're not home. It's our choice to offer to let her go
> out, but her choice whether she does so.
>
> As for the purring... cats do purr for other reasons than happiness. I've
> never come across a kitten that purrs continuously, but that doesn't mean
> much. Is there anything else that seems off about her? Does she seem
> quieter than you'd expect a kitten to be? Does she eat and eliminate
> normally? Does she cry, or hiss at odd times? It's probably nothing, but
> if anything else seems odd about her, a call to the vet wouldn't be amiss.
>
> At any rate, if you haven't already, you should take her to the vet for a
> checkup anyway, find out what shots she needs and when... and you can ask
> the vet about her purring.
>
> jmc

_eek_
November 29th 06, 03:27 PM
In my hometown(countryside) all of my cats(young or old) are roaming
FREE(=YAY! they all can do whatever they like) in my garden
Winter is not so harsh here so we have a room just to store some
wood.In this room theres a box with some old clothes so thats were some
of my cats sleep whenever they WANT,i have also provided this room with
a thermal bulb.Anyone of my cats who gave birth to kittens(oh who
lovely they are),theaches them how to hunt down their preys and how to
prowl.DOESNT THIS SEEM SO NATURAL??
CATS ARE ANIMALS NOT YOUR TEDDYBEARS!
MY CATS ACT LIKE CATS NOT LIKE SOME FAT FURRY THING

As for Matthew: Go on mate feed your cat to death,dress them up like
clowns or sg
and act like they are some lifeless object you need just for your
ENTERTAINMENT!
Your redneck soft soul makes me feel quite uncomfortable :(
GO ON MATTHEW EXPLOIT your cats
or should i say cat?

anyway cheers

cybercat
November 29th 06, 04:42 PM
"_eek_" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> In my hometown(countryside) all of my cats(young or old) are roaming
> FREE(=YAY!

So you advocate that people living in busy, congested, urban areas also
leave their cats out unsupervised?

Heh. Not the brightest bulb in the pack are you?

And here's another thing: your "philosophy" is just something that has been
drilled into your head by your has-been, old world, stick-in-the-mud
"culture." It's likely you have never had an original thought in your nasty
little provincial life.

_eek_
November 29th 06, 05:14 PM
hey nasty(lolz) cybercat(cheasy) you think youre original when you cage
a a semiwild animal in your appartment just for your pleasure?I wish i
would have you locked in room with plenty of food,a tv thats always on
and some silly toys to play when youre not sleeping.Maybe you think
that animals dont have a soul or sg.I dont know +i dont care.
Ps: cats are not like dogs they have no masters and they want to be
completely free.If you cant understand that then dont own one.
Keep ****ing up with your cat's WILD insticts,

Ps2:Oh and whats your culture all about???

Matthew
November 29th 06, 05:25 PM
"_eek_" >

< snipped for being posted by someone stupid>

GET SOME MENTAL HELP

Matthew
November 29th 06, 05:26 PM
"_eek_" >

< snipped for being posted by a loser>

I see your English has improved

Here is some advice Get a life

<PLONK>

cybercat
November 29th 06, 06:33 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> "_eek_" >
>
> < snipped for being posted by someone stupid>
>

> GET SOME MENTAL HELP

There is no help for this kind of idiocy.

I would settle for "eek" finding it's caps key and using some punctuation.
But that's just me. :D

Phil P.
November 29th 06, 07:10 PM
"_eek_" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> In my hometown(countryside) all of my cats(young or old) are roaming
> FREE(=YAY! they all can do whatever they like) in my garden
> Winter is not so harsh here so we have a room just to store some
> wood.In this room theres a box with some old clothes so thats were some
> of my cats sleep whenever they WANT,i have also provided this room with
> a thermal bulb.Anyone of my cats who gave birth to kittens(oh who
> lovely they are),

So, you're also an irresponsible BIB, eh? You not only allow your cats to
roam free, you allow your cats to roam free *intact*.

Here's the cure for your stupidity: Take your cats to a vet and ask him to
find a good home for them. When the vet asks you why you're giving up your
cats, tell him its because you're too stupid to have cats.

Matthew
November 29th 06, 07:14 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "_eek_" > wrote in message
> oups.com...

<snipped>

> So, you're also an irresponsible BIB, eh? You not only allow your cats to
> roam free, you allow your cats to roam free *intact*.
>
> Here's the cure for your stupidity: Take your cats to a vet and ask him
> find a good home for them. When the vet asks you why you're giving up
> your
> cats, tell him its because you're too stupid to have cats.

Well said
Get him Phil

Phil P.
November 29th 06, 07:22 PM
"Jay Kaner" > wrote in message
> Hi group.
>
> Just got a kitten (Our first cat) She's 7 weeks old.
>
> I don't know what to do regarding whether to keep her indoors all the time
> or let her out.

http://maxshouse.com/outdoor_risks.htm

http://maxshouse.com/Healthy+Happy_Indoors.htm

http://maxshouse.com/cat_proofing_your_home.htm

_eek_
November 29th 06, 07:24 PM
lolz
OMG
i know,you cannot understand,thats why.Dont act like your cats are your
kids.I can see youre using them as a substitute
PS:Youre the irresponsible for having a cat caged in a room,IS THAT SO
HARSH TO UNDERSTAND?
dont you people know the nature of cat?A cat wants to explore and when
the night falls the cat hunts
Cats are predators.Stop treating them like theyre teddybears

On Nov 29, 9:10 pm, "Phil P." > wrote:
> "_eek_" > wrote in ooglegroups.com...
>

> > In my hometown(countryside) all of my cats(young or old) are roaming
> > FREE(=YAY! they all can do whatever they like) in my garden
> > Winter is not so harsh here so we have a room just to store some
> > wood.In this room theres a box with some old clothes so thats were some
> > of my cats sleep whenever they WANT,i have also provided this room with
> > a thermal bulb.Anyone of my cats who gave birth to kittens(oh who
> > lovely they are),So, you're also an irresponsible BIB, eh? You not only allow your cats to
> roam free, you allow your cats to roam free *intact*.
>
> Here's the cure for your stupidity: Take your cats to a vet and ask him to
> find a good home for them. When the vet asks you why you're giving up your
> cats, tell him its because you're too stupid to have cats.

Lynne
November 29th 06, 07:25 PM
on Wed, 29 Nov 2006 19:24:33 GMT, "_eek_" > wrote:

> lolz
> OMG
> i know,you cannot understand,thats why.Dont act like your cats are your
> kids.I can see youre using them as a substitute
> PS:Youre the irresponsible for having a cat caged in a room,IS THAT SO
> HARSH TO UNDERSTAND?
> dont you people know the nature of cat?A cat wants to explore and when
> the night falls the cat hunts
> Cats are predators.Stop treating them like theyre teddybears

<moron plonk>

--
Lynne

_eek_
November 29th 06, 07:27 PM
i love it when people spend 2/3 of their day on internet making
e-friends etc and advice others to get a life :D

On Nov 29, 7:26 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> "_eek_" >
>
> < snipped for being posted by a loser>
>
> I see your English has improved
>
> Here is some advice Get a life
>
> <PLONK>

Phil P.
November 29th 06, 07:28 PM
"_eek_" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> lolz
> OMG
> i know,you cannot understand,thats why.Dont act like your cats are your
> kids.I can see youre using them as a substitute
> PS:Youre the irresponsible for having a cat caged in a room,IS THAT SO
> HARSH TO UNDERSTAND?
> dont you people know the nature of cat?A cat wants to explore and when
> the night falls the cat hunts
> Cats are predators.Stop treating them like theyre teddybears

Are you British by any chance? Sure sounds like the British mentality.

> On Nov 29, 9:10 pm, "Phil P." > wrote:
> > "_eek_" > wrote in
ooglegroups.com...

> > > In my hometown(countryside) all of my cats(young or old) are roaming
> > > FREE(=YAY! they all can do whatever they like) in my garden
> > > Winter is not so harsh here so we have a room just to store some
> > > wood.In this room theres a box with some old clothes so thats were
some
> > > of my cats sleep whenever they WANT,i have also provided this room
with
> > > a thermal bulb.Anyone of my cats who gave birth to kittens(oh who
> > > lovely they are),So, you're also an irresponsible BIB, eh? You not
only allow your cats to
> > roam free, you allow your cats to roam free *intact*.
> >
> > Here's the cure for your stupidity: Take your cats to a vet and ask him
> > find a good home for them. When the vet asks you why you're giving up
your
> > cats, tell him its because you're too stupid to have cats.

cybercat
November 29th 06, 07:44 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> on Wed, 29 Nov 2006 19:24:33 GMT, "_eek_" > wrote:
>
>> lolz
>> OMG
>> i know,you cannot understand,thats why.Dont act like your cats are your
>> kids.I can see youre using them as a substitute
>> PS:Youre the irresponsible for having a cat caged in a room,IS THAT SO
>> HARSH TO UNDERSTAND?
>> dont you people know the nature of cat?A cat wants to explore and when
>> the night falls the cat hunts
>> Cats are predators.Stop treating them like theyre teddybears
>
> <moron plonk>

lolz

:D

m4816k
November 30th 06, 02:50 PM
"_eek_" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> lolz
> OMG
> i know,you cannot understand,thats why.Dont act like your cats are your
> kids.I can see youre using them as a substitute
> PS:Youre the irresponsible for having a cat caged in a room,IS THAT SO
> HARSH TO UNDERSTAND?
> dont you people know the nature of cat?A cat wants to explore and when
> the night falls the cat hunts
> Cats are predators.Stop treating them like theyre teddybears

I agree to a point (but, hey, I'm European so I might be crazy as some here
suggest:). The first reason, and the only reason people domesticated cats in
the first place (in Ancient Egypt) was to guard their food supplies which
were threatened by mice and similar pests who were stealing beans and other
food. Nowdays, people don't need cats for that reason (except maybe
farmers), so people started acting a little crazy, strange and sometimes
eccentric, dressing them up, spoiling them beyond every sense, even
adjusting them to vegetarian food(?!). It seems like some are really bored
and don't have better things to do, so they're making up silly things to do
with their pets. Of course, we live in capitalism so all kinds of
money-grabbing companies are convincing us that it's normal to act that way,
but limits must be drawn. I'm not talking about anyone here, or trying to
insult anyone, but some owners really have issues to resolve with
themselves. Call me crazy, but that's my opinion. Sorry for going off topic.

Lynne
November 30th 06, 03:05 PM
on Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:50:04 GMT, "m4816k"
> wrote:

> I agree to a point (but, hey, I'm European so I might be crazy as some
> here suggest:). The first reason, and the only reason people
> domesticated cats in the first place (in Ancient Egypt) was to guard
> their food supplies which were threatened by mice and similar pests
> who were stealing beans and other food. Nowdays, people don't need
> cats for that reason (except maybe farmers), so people started acting
> a little crazy, strange and sometimes eccentric, dressing them up,
> spoiling them beyond every sense, even adjusting them to vegetarian
> food(?!). It seems like some are really bored and don't have better
> things to do, so they're making up silly things to do with their pets.
> Of course, we live in capitalism so all kinds of money-grabbing
> companies are convincing us that it's normal to act that way, but
> limits must be drawn. I'm not talking about anyone here, or trying to
> insult anyone, but some owners really have issues to resolve with
> themselves. Call me crazy, but that's my opinion. Sorry for going off
> topic.

I have 2 indoor cats. I don't equate keeping them indoors with putting
clothes on them (something I have never done). The fact of the matter is
that in many places it is simply not safe to let cats outdoors. Way too
many threats to their safety and health. I happen to feel responsible for
keeping my cats safe and healthy, including mentally healthy. This is not
hard to do with indoor cats. You just have to interact with them, play
with them, give them appropriate toys and furniture along with a healthy,
appropriate diet (which means MEAT) and proper vet care. My cats lack
nothing by being indoors only.

--
Lynne

cybercat
November 30th 06, 03:11 PM
"m4816k" > wrote in message
> "_eek_" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> lolz
>> OMG
>> i know,you cannot understand,thats why.Dont act like your cats are your
>> kids.I can see youre using them as a substitute
>> PS:Youre the irresponsible for having a cat caged in a room,IS THAT SO
>> HARSH TO UNDERSTAND?
>> dont you people know the nature of cat?A cat wants to explore and when
>> the night falls the cat hunts
>> Cats are predators.Stop treating them like theyre teddybears
>
> I agree to a point (but, hey, I'm European so I might be crazy as some
> here suggest:). The first reason, and the only reason people domesticated
> cats in the first place (in Ancient Egypt) was to guard their food
> supplies which were threatened by mice and similar pests who were stealing
> beans and other food. Nowdays, people don't need cats for that reason
> (except maybe farmers), so people started acting a little crazy, strange
> and sometimes eccentric, dressing them up, spoiling them beyond every
> sense, even adjusting them to vegetarian food(?!). It seems like some are
> really bored and don't have better things to do, so they're making up
> silly things to do with their pets. Of course, we live in capitalism so
> all kinds of money-grabbing companies are convincing us that it's normal
> to act that way, but limits must be drawn. I'm not talking about anyone
> here, or trying to insult anyone, but some owners really have issues to
> resolve with themselves. Call me crazy, but that's my opinion. Sorry for
> going off topic.

I don't dress my cats up. I don't try to make them vegetarians. I simply
keep
them in where they are safe. They have 3000 square feet on three levels in
which to play. We don't live in closets here, you know.

It just depends on how much you value your cat's health and safety. It is
simply not safe to allow them to roam in urban OR rural areas. Typical
Brit thinking that the two extremes are either "Be Fwee Wild Thing,"
or dressing the cat in a Sunday suit and making him eat cress sandwiches.

Where have all the smart people gone?

cybercat
November 30th 06, 03:13 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> on Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:50:04 GMT, "m4816k"
> > wrote:
>
> I have 2 indoor cats. I don't equate keeping them indoors with putting
> clothes on them (something I have never done). The fact of the matter is
> that in many places it is simply not safe to let cats outdoors. Way too
> many threats to their safety and health. I happen to feel responsible for
> keeping my cats safe and healthy, including mentally healthy. This is not
> hard to do with indoor cats. You just have to interact with them, play
> with them, give them appropriate toys and furniture along with a healthy,
> appropriate diet (which means MEAT) and proper vet care. My cats lack
> nothing by being indoors only.

All true. But I am sitting here wondering if Eek or it's good buddy M48
would let their kitten suck on their lip. :)

More love can never be bad. More safety cannot be bad, either, especially
when the little acrobats have all the space and toys and attention and
company
they need to be happy.

Lynne
November 30th 06, 03:18 PM
on Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:13:45 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> All true. But I am sitting here wondering if Eek or it's good buddy M48
> would let their kitten suck on their lip. :)

HA! Good point. :)

> More love can never be bad. More safety cannot be bad, either, especially
> when the little acrobats have all the space and toys and attention and
> company
> they need to be happy.

I think a lot of people get pets and after the initial honeymoon period
wears off, they stop loving on them as much... That makes me infinitely
sad.

--
Lynne

Stick Waver
November 30th 06, 03:29 PM
_eek_ wrote:

> hey nasty(lolz) cybercat(cheasy) you think youre original when you cage
> a a semiwild animal in your appartment just for your pleasure?I wish i
> would have you locked in room with plenty of food,a tv thats always on
> and some silly toys to play when youre not sleeping.Maybe you think
> that animals dont have a soul or sg.I dont know +i dont care.
> Ps: cats are not like dogs they have no masters and they want to be
> completely free.If you cant understand that then dont own one.
> Keep ****ing up with your cat's WILD insticts,
>
> Ps2:Oh and whats your culture all about???

Odd... when I leave my door open, my indoor cats will stick their
noses out only far enough to smell what's around but will not venture
outside. They have no desire to roam as all their needs are met
indoors. Cats, above all, like to feel secure and safe and in charge
of their domain.

My guys enjoy plenty of fresh air and natural smells/odors, as I open
windows and screened patio door for them on a daily basis. They also
have entertainment via cat tree, box o' toys, and bird feeder in plain
view of said door/windows. They are healthy, happy, cool/warm, clean,
free of parasites and the like, affectionate, playful, and
non-agressive (though not comotose, as they hunt down bugs on a
regular basis and have a penchant for relocating all my towels from
rack to floor).

Hardly the symptoms of frustrated, tortured beings.

Matthew
November 30th 06, 05:55 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "m4816k" > wrote in message
>> "_eek_" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>> lolz
>>> OMG
>>> i know,you cannot understand,thats why.Dont act like your cats are your
>>> kids.I can see youre using them as a substitute
>>> PS:Youre the irresponsible for having a cat caged in a room,IS THAT SO
>>> HARSH TO UNDERSTAND?
>>> dont you people know the nature of cat?A cat wants to explore and when
>>> the night falls the cat hunts
>>> Cats are predators.Stop treating them like theyre teddybears
>>
>> I agree to a point (but, hey, I'm European so I might be crazy as some
>> here suggest:). The first reason, and the only reason people domesticated
>> cats in the first place (in Ancient Egypt) was to guard their food
>> supplies which were threatened by mice and similar pests who were
>> stealing beans and other food. Nowdays, people don't need cats for that
>> reason (except maybe farmers), so people started acting a little crazy,
>> strange and sometimes eccentric, dressing them up, spoiling them beyond
>> every sense, even adjusting them to vegetarian food(?!). It seems like
>> some are really bored and don't have better things to do, so they're
>> making up silly things to do with their pets. Of course, we live in
>> capitalism so all kinds of money-grabbing companies are convincing us
>> that it's normal to act that way, but limits must be drawn. I'm not
>> talking about anyone here, or trying to insult anyone, but some owners
>> really have issues to resolve with themselves. Call me crazy, but that's
>> my opinion. Sorry for going off topic.
>>
> I don't dress my cats up. I don't try to make them vegetarians. I simply
> keep
> them in where they are safe. They have 3000 square feet on three levels in
> which to play. We don't live in closets here, you know.
>
> It just depends on how much you value your cat's health and safety. It is
> simply not safe to allow them to roam in urban OR rural areas. Typical
> Brit thinking that the two extremes are either "Be Fwee Wild Thing,"
> or dressing the cat in a Sunday suit and making him eat cress sandwiches.
>
> Where have all the smart people gone?

I asked that everyday when I did interviews for new cashiers at my
businesses.

Simple question I would ask If the bill is 16.44 and the person hands you
a five than 10 ones and than another 5 how much is their change? Do you
want to know how many people got that wrong.

Lynne
November 30th 06, 06:09 PM
on Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:55:43 GMT, "Matthew"
> wrote:

> I asked that everyday when I did interviews for new cashiers at my
> businesses.
>
> Simple question I would ask If the bill is 16.44 and the person
> hands you a five than 10 ones and than another 5 how much is their
> change? Do you want to know how many people got that wrong.

all but the one you hired?

--
Lynne

Matthew
November 30th 06, 06:51 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> on Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:55:43 GMT, "Matthew"
> > wrote:
>
>> I asked that everyday when I did interviews for new cashiers at my
>> businesses.
>>
>> Simple question I would ask If the bill is 16.44 and the person
>> hands you a five than 10 ones and than another 5 how much is their
>> change? Do you want to know how many people got that wrong.
>
> all but the one you hired?
>
> --
> Lynne

Actually one of the interview I made her a manager instead of a
cashier. She told me something that was music to my ears. The customer
change was only .56 bingo That was the true correct answer. Only 3 people
all who are management have told me this correct answer. Read the rest
below.

I looked at her strange and said why. She said I would have handed back
the person 's 3 extra dollars and said you gave me too much. Than I would
have rang up the $17 dollars and gave her a receipt of and change $0.56.
This one has been with me for years and is never off on her money write ups.

Phil P.
November 30th 06, 07:48 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> It just depends on how much you value your cat's health and safety.

Some people actually believe indoor cats are miserable- its ingrained in
their culture. They think its better for their cats to live a short, happy
life rather than a long miserable one. ;-/ The risks don't seem to bother
them because they have a weak attachment to their cats.
That's why they can't understand the concept of a cat being a family member.
I classify people like that "low-involvement owners"-- they like having a
cat around more than actually having a relationship her.

It is
> simply not safe to allow them to roam in urban OR rural areas.

Maybe it was a little safer 40 or 50 years ago- But the time is long gone
when we could swing open the door and tell our cats to go have a good time.

Typical
> Brit thinking that the two extremes are either "Be Fwee Wild Thing,"
> or dressing the cat in a Sunday suit and making him eat cress sandwiches.

They're not very big on litter boxes or environmental enrichment either...
Its much easier to just swing open the door- and if that's too much trouble
they'll intstall a cat flap!

> Where have all the smart people gone?

That's why this country was started! To get away from that mentality! lol

cybercat
December 1st 06, 12:23 AM
"Phil P." > wrote
>> Where have all the smart people gone?
>
> That's why this country was started! To get away from that mentality! lol

hahahaha. Phil you are so bad.

_eek_
December 1st 06, 11:14 AM
OK guys as said i think that the idea of having a cat in our out is
based on the culture of each nation
Anyway like the total troll i am heres a question:If you keep a female
cat indoors and she wants to get laid,
what will you do?Will you let her out to satisfy the basic motive of a
female cat which is being a mother or keep her inside horny and
angry?Or worse treat her with chemicals or have her castrated(! :'(
!)

Stick Waver
December 1st 06, 01:57 PM
_eek_ wrote:

> OK guys as said i think that the idea of having a cat in our out is
> based on the culture of each nation
> Anyway like the total troll i am heres a question:If you keep a female
> cat indoors and she wants to get laid,
> what will you do?Will you let her out to satisfy the basic motive of a
> female cat which is being a mother or keep her inside horny and
> angry?Or worse treat her with chemicals or have her castrated(! :'(
> !)

TROLL - O - METER

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
--------------------------------------
^

Matthew
December 1st 06, 03:39 PM
"Stick Waver" > wrote in message
:

< snipped for being posted by a stupid loser called _eek_ >

You got it wrong this is more like for that pathetic loser

TROLL - O - METER

-1 -2 -3 -4 -5 -6 -7 -8 -9 -10
^
mine would be for him ^

cybercat
December 1st 06, 06:44 PM
"_eek_" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> OK guys as said i think that the idea of having a cat in our out is
> based on the culture of each nation
> Anyway like the total troll i am heres a question:If you keep a female
> cat indoors and she wants to get laid,
> what will you do?Will you let her out to satisfy the basic motive of a
> female cat which is being a mother or keep her inside horny and
> angry?Or worse treat her with chemicals or have her castrated(! :'(
> !)

Hello, Asshole! Responsible pet owners never have this experience because
they spay before the first heat. Millions upon millions of unwanted cats are
killed every week. Anyone with half a ****ing brain or a heart that beats
for anything but themselves would never, ever bring more kittens into this
world. Hope that helps, you ignorant, arrogant piece of cat-abusing ****.

cybercat
December 1st 06, 06:44 PM
"Stick Waver" > wrote in message
> _eek_ wrote:
>
>> OK guys as said i think that the idea of having a cat in our out is
>> based on the culture of each nation
>> Anyway like the total troll i am heres a question:If you keep a female
>> cat indoors and she wants to get laid,
>> what will you do?Will you let her out to satisfy the basic motive of a
>> female cat which is being a mother or keep her inside horny and
>> angry?Or worse treat her with chemicals or have her castrated(! :'(
>> !)
>>

> TROLL - O - METER
>
> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
> --------------------------------------
> ^

Nice stick. :)

Wendy
December 3rd 06, 11:27 AM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Jay Kaner" > wrote in message
>> Hi group.
>>
>> Just got a kitten (Our first cat) She's 7 weeks old.
>>
>> I don't know what to do regarding whether to keep her indoors all the
>> time
>> or let her out.
>>

> http://maxshouse.com/outdoor_risks.htm
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Healthy+Happy_Indoors.htm
>
> http://maxshouse.com/cat_proofing_your_home.htm

Your web page mentions that it's a myth that cats can return to the wild
after being someone's cat. I have to stress this to the max. I just
collected a beautiful long-haired black adult male from our local township
park the other day. He would stand 24/7 in the vicinity of where people
were feeding him. Rain, cold weather, wind whatever, he was in the same spot
and wouldn't seek shelter. The gentleman who was feeding him said that when
he first noticed the kitty there he was so skinny that you could see his
vertebra sticking out. He'd have to have been nigh on emaciated for the
bones to be showing on a long-hair. Some idiot dumped this sweet boy in the
park probably thinking he'd be able to hunt rodents. The cat was clueless.
He fortunately tested negative for FIV FeLV and will be neutered next week.
They we'll make sure he has a nice indoor home.

Wendy
December 3rd 06, 11:31 AM
"_eek_" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> OK guys as said i think that the idea of having a cat in our out is
> based on the culture of each nation
> Anyway like the total troll i am heres a question:If you keep a female
> cat indoors and she wants to get laid,
> what will you do?Will you let her out to satisfy the basic motive of a
> female cat which is being a mother or keep her inside horny and
> angry?Or worse treat her with chemicals or have her castrated(! :'(
> !)

Last time I looked you castrate males. Females get spayed and yes I get my
girls spayed before they ever go into heat. I've fostered enough pregnant
cats to know that having kittens in no picnic for the mom.

Phil P.
December 4th 06, 05:14 AM
"Wendy" > wrote in message
. ..

> "_eek_" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > OK guys as said i think that the idea of having a cat in our out is
> > based on the culture of each nation
> > Anyway like the total troll i am heres a question:If you keep a female
> > cat indoors and she wants to get laid,
> > what will you do?Will you let her out to satisfy the basic motive of a
> > female cat which is being a mother or keep her inside horny and
> > angry?Or worse treat her with chemicals or have her castrated(! :'(
> > !)
> >

> Last time I looked you castrate males. Females get spayed and yes I get my
> girls spayed before they ever go into heat. I've fostered enough pregnant
> cats to know that having kittens in no picnic for the mom.

Mating is no tender moment either. Those aren't screams of pleasure!

http://maxshouse.com/Illustrations/phallus_of_tom_cu_barbs.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Illustrations/Phallus_of_tom_cat%20.jpg

Wendy
December 4th 06, 11:56 AM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Wendy" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> "_eek_" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> >
>> > OK guys as said i think that the idea of having a cat in our out is
>> > based on the culture of each nation
>> > Anyway like the total troll i am heres a question:If you keep a female
>> > cat indoors and she wants to get laid,
>> > what will you do?Will you let her out to satisfy the basic motive of a
>> > female cat which is being a mother or keep her inside horny and
>> > angry?Or worse treat her with chemicals or have her castrated(! :'(
>> > !)
>> >

>> Last time I looked you castrate males. Females get spayed and yes I get
>> my
>> girls spayed before they ever go into heat. I've fostered enough pregnant
>> cats to know that having kittens in no picnic for the mom.

> Mating is no tender moment either. Those aren't screams of pleasure!
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Illustrations/phallus_of_tom_cu_barbs.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Illustrations/Phallus_of_tom_cat%20.jpg

Doesn't help that he's usually biting the back of her neck at the time. No
wonder she smacks the sh*t out of him if he hangs around afterwards.

_eek_
December 4th 06, 12:51 PM
hey cybercat,youre like so e-bad!
you and your e-friends e-hurt my e-feelings :'(
muahahaha
As for the muddy culture i have :
This will be your future culture when a *cough*"terrorist"*cough* bomb
or even better nuke your ass :D
You act like some 13old teen-angst virgin,and your wifebeating
husband(???) smells exactly like your brother :D
Yall got some moonshine ;)

cheers