PDA

View Full Version : Cat swallowed needle - questions about post-surgery


Stacia
November 30th 06, 08:09 PM
Last night at about 2:30 AM my husband woke me up to tell me our cat
Simon had possibly swallowed a sewing needle and thread. Sure enough,
after an emergency x-ray, the vet found it in Simon's intestine. The
surgery went well, the needle hadn't penetrated anything so that was
good.
The vet called today and said that Simon was still okay, he's in ICU
for a day or two, but his temp had gone up. The vet said this was a
morphine reaction and was common.
The vet has since gone on break or gone home already so I wanted to
ask here, as with the vet med center, you can't always find a vet to
talk to immediately. Is Simon's temperature something serious or does
it usually resolve well? What about post-surgery treatment, will I need
to feed him wet or special food or anything? What usually happens after
surgery like this?
If you have any thoughts, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Stacia

cybercat
December 1st 06, 01:01 AM
"Stacia" > wrote in message
...
>
> Last night at about 2:30 AM my husband woke me up to tell me our cat
> Simon had possibly swallowed a sewing needle and thread. Sure enough,
> after an emergency x-ray, the vet found it in Simon's intestine. The
> surgery went well, the needle hadn't penetrated anything so that was
> good.

I am so glad he is okay.

mlbriggs
December 1st 06, 01:17 AM
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 20:09:14 +0000, Stacia wrote:

>
> Last night at about 2:30 AM my husband woke me up to tell me our cat
> Simon had possibly swallowed a sewing needle and thread. Sure enough,
> after an emergency x-ray, the vet found it in Simon's intestine. The
> surgery went well, the needle hadn't penetrated anything so that was
> good.
> The vet called today and said that Simon was still okay, he's in ICU
> for a day or two, but his temp had gone up. The vet said this was a
> morphine reaction and was common.
> The vet has since gone on break or gone home already so I wanted to
> ask here, as with the vet med center, you can't always find a vet to
> talk to immediately. Is Simon's temperature something serious or does
> it usually resolve well? What about post-surgery treatment, will I need
> to feed him wet or special food or anything? What usually happens after
> surgery like this?
> If you have any thoughts, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!
>
> Stacia


I am curious about how your husband discovered this at 2:30 AM?

Stacia
December 1st 06, 01:42 AM
mlbriggs > writes:

>I am curious about how your husband discovered this at 2:30 AM?

He works nights and doesn't even get home until after 11 PM, so he's
up at 2:30 AM most every night. Why is that odd?

Stacia

Lynne
December 1st 06, 01:48 AM
on Thu, 30 Nov 2006 20:09:14 GMT, (Stacia) wrote:

> Last night at about 2:30 AM my husband woke me up to tell me our cat
> Simon had possibly swallowed a sewing needle and thread. Sure enough,
> after an emergency x-ray, the vet found it in Simon's intestine. The
> surgery went well, the needle hadn't penetrated anything so that was
> good.

Holy crap, that could have gone so much worse than it did. So glad Simon
is going to be okay.

--
Lynne

http://picasaweb.google.com/what.the.hell.is.it/

Matthew
December 1st 06, 01:51 AM
"mlbriggs" > wrote in message
...
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 20:09:14 +0000, Stacia wrote:
>
>>
>> Last night at about 2:30 AM my husband woke me up to tell me our cat
>> Simon had possibly swallowed a sewing needle and thread. Sure enough,
>> after an emergency x-ray, the vet found it in Simon's intestine. The
>> surgery went well, the needle hadn't penetrated anything so that was
>> good.
>> The vet called today and said that Simon was still okay, he's in ICU
>> for a day or two, but his temp had gone up. The vet said this was a
>> morphine reaction and was common.
>> The vet has since gone on break or gone home already so I wanted to
>> ask here, as with the vet med center, you can't always find a vet to
>> talk to immediately. Is Simon's temperature something serious or does
>> it usually resolve well? What about post-surgery treatment, will I need
>> to feed him wet or special food or anything? What usually happens after
>> surgery like this?
>> If you have any thoughts, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!
>>
>> Stacia
>
>
> I am curious about how your husband discovered this at 2:30 AM?
>
>

Heck I am up at 2:30 in the morning all the time

cybercat
December 1st 06, 04:09 AM
"Stacia" > wrote in message
...
> mlbriggs > writes:
>
>>I am curious about how your husband discovered this at 2:30 AM?
>
> He works nights and doesn't even get home until after 11 PM, so he's
> up at 2:30 AM most every night. Why is that odd?
>

I don't think it is the time that seems odd, but how did he KNOW
(or why did he suspect) that he swallowed the needle? It's a fair
question.

Stacia
December 1st 06, 05:23 AM
"cybercat" > writes:
>"Stacia" > wrote:
>> mlbriggs > writes:
>>
>>>I am curious about how your husband discovered this at 2:30 AM?
>>
>> He works nights and doesn't even get home until after 11 PM, so he's
>> up at 2:30 AM most every night. Why is that odd?

>I don't think it is the time that seems odd, but how did he KNOW
>(or why did he suspect) that he swallowed the needle? It's a fair
>question.

Except mlbriggs didn't ask why he suspected Simon swallowed the
needle, they were obviously concerned about the *time*.
My husband was sewing up some gloves after work, realized he'd left
the needle and thread out on the desk, turned to look and saw Simon
sitting on the desk with the needle and thread gone. Of course, since
it was 2:30 AM, it was *evil* needle and thread used to sew up *evil*
gloves.

Stacia

buglady
December 1st 06, 03:58 PM
"Stacia" > wrote in message
...
The
> surgery went well, the needle hadn't penetrated anything so that was
> good.

...........yikes!
but his temp had gone up. The vet said this was a
> morphine reaction and was common.
> The vet has since gone on break or gone home already so I wanted to
> ask here, as with the vet med center, you can't always find a vet to
> talk to immediately. Is Simon's temperature something serious or does
> it usually resolve well?
..........Didn't know about the reaction cat's have to morphine - you might
Google that if no vet answers. I'd say that infection isn't out of the
realm of possibilities with intestinal surgery, but don't know. Hope you
still have a request for a callback at the vet's. And make sure to tell
them it's OK for them to talk to an answering machine! Nothing worse than
either sitting by the phone all day or having to be gone and getting a
*tried to call* message with no info on the machine!

Best of luck to you and your kitty. Danged cats will put the weirdest thing
in their mouths. I remember chasing one around the house with a wad of
dental floss hanging out of her mouth.
buglady
take out the dog before replying

Phil P.
December 1st 06, 04:31 PM
"Stacia" > wrote in message
...
>
> Last night at about 2:30 AM my husband woke me up to tell me our cat
> Simon had possibly swallowed a sewing needle and thread. Sure enough,
> after an emergency x-ray, the vet found it in Simon's intestine. The
> surgery went well, the needle hadn't penetrated anything so that was
> good.

Its a good thing you got him into surgery right away! The longer the time
between ingestion and surgery the greater the risk of perferation.


> The vet called today and said that Simon was still okay, he's in ICU
> for a day or two, but his temp had gone up. The vet said this was a
> morphine reaction and was common.


Never heard of that. Fever could also be a sign of infection.



> The vet has since gone on break or gone home already so I wanted to
> ask here, as with the vet med center, you can't always find a vet to
> talk to immediately. Is Simon's temperature something serious or does
> it usually resolve well?

If the vet took the proper precautions and cleaned out the abdomen before
surgery there shouldn't be any serious problems. Otherwise, a fever could
be an indication of peritonitis or sepsis- septic peritonitis. Enterotomies
are a little tricky because there's always a risk of the intestinal contents
leaking into the abdomen during surgery or leaking through the incision
after its closed up (dehiscence). Symptoms of peritonitis usually appear
few days after surgery. Your vet is probably keeping your cat for a few days
to make sure he'll be ok and also to make sure he can poop. A lot of cats
develop ileus after intestinal surgery.



What about post-surgery treatment, will I need
> to feed him wet or special food or anything? What usually happens after
> surgery like this?

Hopefully nothing! Just watch him very closely- especially his litter box
behavior. If he vomits- even once- call your vet right away.

Good luck,

Phil

Stacia
December 1st 06, 06:08 PM
"Phil P." > writes:

>> The vet called today and said that Simon was still okay, he's in ICU
>> for a day or two, but his temp had gone up. The vet said this was a
>> morphine reaction and was common.

>Never heard of that. Fever could also be a sign of infection.

Yeah, that's what I was worried about. The vet yesterday said he
didn't think Simon had infection but they wanted to watch him longer, of
course. Simon was given a pain med and the temp didn't go down, but
they didn't want to give him a fever reducer because it might upset his
stomach. I think that's what the vet said, I hope I'm not
misremembering.
Also, his temp hasn't increased since it first went up early yesterday
morning. Simon's not acting like he's in pain, he's active and eating
well. The vet said he thought Simon might just run a slightly high
fever or might be stressed.
Today the vet's replacement/student called and she seems kind of
worried about Simon's temperature, but she said all the same things,
that it doesn't seem like infection and they just don't know why his
temp is high. I should be able to go pick Simon up about 4 this
afternoon.
I asked what to watch for and the replacement/student was kind of
flaky. She said to just watch for "general sickness" signs, and
open-mouthed breathing. She acted like this was something I should
know, but I've never had a cat with fever, I don't know what to look
for.

>Hopefully nothing! Just watch him very closely- especially his litter box
>behavior. If he vomits- even once- call your vet right away.

Phil, thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it! Simon's a
chronic vomiter and they're doing some biopsies to see if they can find
anything, and of course I just realized the student didn't mention
anything about that.

Stacia

cybercat
December 1st 06, 06:41 PM
"Stacia" > wrote:
>
> Except mlbriggs didn't ask why he suspected Simon swallowed the
> needle, they were obviously concerned about the *time*.
> My husband was sewing up some gloves after work, realized he'd left
> the needle and thread out on the desk, turned to look and saw Simon
> sitting on the desk with the needle and thread gone. Of course, since
> it was 2:30 AM, it was *evil* needle and thread used to sew up *evil*
> gloves.
>
> Stacia
>

hahaha! Stacia, I am with you. My MIL acts like I am up to no good
and the laziest thing on earth because I am not up at 5 and in bed at 9.
I work for myself, pull my own weight (and then some) with the bills.
I guess I can pretty damned well keep any hours I like.

December 1st 06, 07:08 PM
(Stacia) wrote:

> I should be able to go pick Simon up about 4 this
>afternoon.
> I asked what to watch for and the replacement/student was kind of
>flaky. She said to just watch for "general sickness" signs, and
>open-mouthed breathing. She acted like this was something I should
>know, but I've never had a cat with fever, I don't know what to look
>for.

I would seriously consider leaving him there for an extra day and tell
*them* to watch for signs of infection and keep monitoring his
temperature.

Good luck to Simon!

-mhd

Lynne
December 1st 06, 07:11 PM
on Fri, 01 Dec 2006 19:08:42 GMT, wrote:

> I would seriously consider leaving him there for an extra day and tell
> *them* to watch for signs of infection and keep monitoring his
> temperature.

I would do the same. I can't imagine taking a cat home with a fever after
major surgery. Too much risk.

--
Lynne

mlbriggs
December 1st 06, 07:30 PM
On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 13:41:29 -0500, cybercat wrote:

>
> "Stacia" > wrote:
>>
>> Except mlbriggs didn't ask why he suspected Simon swallowed the
>> needle, they were obviously concerned about the *time*.
>> My husband was sewing up some gloves after work, realized he'd left
>> the needle and thread out on the desk, turned to look and saw Simon
>> sitting on the desk with the needle and thread gone. Of course, since
>> it was 2:30 AM, it was *evil* needle and thread used to sew up *evil*
>> gloves.
>>
>> Stacia
>>
>
> hahaha! Stacia, I am with you. My MIL acts like I am up to no good
> and the laziest thing on earth because I am not up at 5 and in bed at 9.
> I work for myself, pull my own weight (and then some) with the bills.
> I guess I can pretty damned well keep any hours I like.



The question was obviously poorly worded. What I really wondered about
was the miracle that the missing needle was noticed at all. Sending purrs
that the kitty will recover without any problems. FYI. I go to bed
about midnight -- sometimes I go to sleep immediately but wake up again in
a couple of hours. MLB

cybercat
December 1st 06, 07:52 PM
"mlbriggs" > wrote in message
...
> On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 13:41:29 -0500, cybercat wrote:
>
>>
>> "Stacia" > wrote:
>>>
>>> Except mlbriggs didn't ask why he suspected Simon swallowed the
>>> needle, they were obviously concerned about the *time*.
>>> My husband was sewing up some gloves after work, realized he'd left
>>> the needle and thread out on the desk, turned to look and saw Simon
>>> sitting on the desk with the needle and thread gone. Of course, since
>>> it was 2:30 AM, it was *evil* needle and thread used to sew up *evil*
>>> gloves.
>>>
>>> Stacia
>>>
>>
>> hahaha! Stacia, I am with you. My MIL acts like I am up to no good
>> and the laziest thing on earth because I am not up at 5 and in bed at 9.
>> I work for myself, pull my own weight (and then some) with the bills.
>> I guess I can pretty damned well keep any hours I like.
>
>
>
> The question was obviously poorly worded. What I really wondered about
> was the miracle that the missing needle was noticed at all. Sending purrs
> that the kitty will recover without any problems. FYI. I go to bed
> about midnight -- sometimes I go to sleep immediately but wake up again in
> a couple of hours. MLB
>

M--I was commenting on Stacia's reaction, not your intention. From years
of reading your posts, I know you better than that. :)

Stacia
December 2nd 06, 02:26 AM
Lynne > writes:
>on Fri, 01 Dec 2006 19:08:42 GMT, wrote:

>> I would seriously consider leaving him there for an extra day and tell
>> *them* to watch for signs of infection and keep monitoring his
>> temperature.

>I would do the same. I can't imagine taking a cat home with a fever after
>major surgery. Too much risk.

His temp dropped a little bit -- it's 103 now -- so they went ahead
and sent him home, and we're taking him back in tomorrow morning before
8 AM for a check. Simon's been acting fine since he got home, tired of
course and he's not jumping (thankfully!) but otherwise good. He's
using the pan and his appetite is fine.
The other cats are freaking out. They're getting calm-down time in
the bedroom.

Stacia

Stacia
December 2nd 06, 02:29 AM
mlbriggs > writes:

>The question was obviously poorly worded. What I really wondered about
>was the miracle that the missing needle was noticed at all.

Yes, thankfully my husband went to check the desk the second he
realized the needle was still laying out. We weren't positive Simon
swallowed it until the x-ray, but he loves string and thread so we kind
of had a hunch.

Stacia

Lynne
December 2nd 06, 02:57 AM
on Sat, 02 Dec 2006 02:26:00 GMT, (Stacia) wrote:

> His temp dropped a little bit -- it's 103 now -- so they went ahead
> and sent him home, and we're taking him back in tomorrow morning before
> 8 AM for a check. Simon's been acting fine since he got home, tired of
> course and he's not jumping (thankfully!) but otherwise good. He's
> using the pan and his appetite is fine.
> The other cats are freaking out. They're getting calm-down time in
> the bedroom.
>

I'm glad his temperature has come down some. I hope that trend
continues! It's good that you're taking him in for a check in the
morning, too.

In my experience with a child who has chronic, serious health problems as
well as with a previous dog with the same, people and animals heal better
when they are home--unless of course they are unstable. Hospitals suck.
He must be very happy to be home and with you. It sounds like he's going
to be just fine.

How fortunate that your husband realized what happened! I cringe when I
think of that needle moving through his system.

--
Lynne

http://picasaweb.google.com/what.the.hell.is.it/

Stacia
December 2nd 06, 05:01 PM
Lynne > writes:

>I'm glad his temperature has come down some. I hope that trend
>continues! It's good that you're taking him in for a check in the
>morning, too.

I'm glad we took him in, too, because his temp actually went up to
103.6. They wanted us to stop the pain meds today just in case he was
reacting to them, and we'll take Simon back in tomorrow for another
check. If his temp is still up then they'll do antibiotics.
I think I might ask them if we can take his temp here because all the
cats are freaking out about the back-and-forth to the vet.

Stacia

Lynne
December 2nd 06, 05:27 PM
on Sat, 02 Dec 2006 17:01:07 GMT, (Stacia) wrote:

> I'm glad we took him in, too, because his temp actually went up to
> 103.6. They wanted us to stop the pain meds today just in case he was
> reacting to them, and we'll take Simon back in tomorrow for another
> check. If his temp is still up then they'll do antibiotics.
> I think I might ask them if we can take his temp here because all the
> cats are freaking out about the back-and-forth to the vet.

That's a concern. I'm surprised he didn't get antibiotics as a prophylaxis
after the surgery. You are right on top of things, though, so I'm sure he
will be okay.

I hope he is feeling well, despite the fever. Please let us know how he
fares.

--
Lynne

http://picasaweb.google.com/what.the.hell.is.it/

Outsider
December 3rd 06, 11:31 PM
Lynne > wrote in
:

> on Sat, 02 Dec 2006 17:01:07 GMT, (Stacia) wrote:
>
>> I'm glad we took him in, too, because his temp actually went up to
>> 103.6. They wanted us to stop the pain meds today just in case he
>> was reacting to them, and we'll take Simon back in tomorrow for
>> another check. If his temp is still up then they'll do antibiotics.
>> I think I might ask them if we can take his temp here because all
>> the
>> cats are freaking out about the back-and-forth to the vet.
>
> That's a concern. I'm surprised he didn't get antibiotics as a
> prophylaxis after the surgery. You are right on top of things,
> though, so I'm sure he will be okay.
>
> I hope he is feeling well, despite the fever. Please let us know how
> he fares.
>



I _really_ hope he is OK! The image of that needle making its way all the
way past his stomach is frightening. I think you have a cat wth 8 lives
now.

Andy