PDA

View Full Version : cat now chewing on me and I'm not sure why.

Tiger Girrl
November 30th 06, 09:08 PM
Hi,

My devil boy, Buster, is 3.5 years old. I've had him for 2.5 of those
years. He's an absolute darling with what they referred to generously
at the shelter as a "High Play Need". He's gotten a bit tamer of late,
although he still spazzes out (racing round the house at high speeds)
when the weather changes.

Here's the thing. Earlier this fall I developed a neurological problem
that is likely MS. In conjunction with this I spent a week in the
hospital unexpectedly. I had people come over and stay with Buster and
play with him, so he wasn't totally lonely. When I got home, he wanted
to lie down next to me, which is pretty much S.O.P. for him when I've
been gone. Turns into the Velcro Kitty. This time, however, he started
attacking my arm, grabbing it and putting his teeth on it. He wasn't
getting nippy, just setting his teeth firmly on my arm. Didn't break
the skin, but it was still a bit uncomfortable. I shooed him away and
said "No" but he came right back and started to gnaw on me, like he was
a dog chewing a bone! He was *very* determined, and only left off after
I booted him off the bed and put my arms under the covers.

That was the first time in the 2 years since he came to live with me
that he'd done this. Now he's making a habit of it. Not always, and
not even frequently. It may be my imagination, but he seems to get into
this behavior when my neurological condition changes (that is, I have a
relapse or something goes into remission).

It's very strange and I really don't know what to make of it. When he
starts in with this stuff he is very difficult to deter. It doesn't
seem to be a desire to play with me, as if I get out his toys he still
goes for my arm. And it's always my hand or my arm, never any other
part of my body.

Any clues? Any suggestions? It's a little painful!

Thanks,

TG

Lynne
December 1st 06, 04:13 AM
on Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:08:10 GMT, Tiger Girrl > wrote:

> That was the first time in the 2 years since he came to live with me
> that he'd done this. Now he's making a habit of it. Not always, and
> not even frequently. It may be my imagination, but he seems to get into
> this behavior when my neurological condition changes (that is, I have a
> relapse or something goes into remission).

maybe he can sense something going on in your body, much like dogs who can
sense strokes just before they happen...?

--
Lynne

December 1st 06, 04:49 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:08:10 GMT, Tiger Girrl > wrote:
>
>> That was the first time in the 2 years since he came to live with me
>> that he'd done this. Now he's making a habit of it. Not always, and
>> not even frequently. It may be my imagination, but he seems to get into
>> this behavior when my neurological condition changes (that is, I have a
>> relapse or something goes into remission).
>
> maybe he can sense something going on in your body, much like dogs who can
> sense strokes just before they happen...?

I was thinking that too, without wanting to alarm the OP.

I might want to get an ultrasound, if she feels anything has gone
unexamined.

Patty Jo
December 1st 06, 05:10 AM
I'd be asking the people who "played" with him while you were
hopitalized! They may have introduced him to rough play & he now likes
it & finds it great fun. Just a thought...pj

Darth Breather
December 1st 06, 09:39 AM
Tiger Girrl wrote:

This time, however, he started
> attacking my arm, grabbing it and putting his teeth on it. He wasn't
> getting nippy, just setting his teeth firmly on my arm. Didn't break
> the skin, but it was still a bit uncomfortable. I shooed him away and
> said "No" but he came right back and started to gnaw on me, like he was
> a dog chewing a bone!

one cat I knew did this to make her persn stay. like holding on to
them.

another jst did it for fun like kitty the fearless hunter. she made a
wonderful mew rite befor she pounced so the kids kept playing to here
her mew even tho they got niped and scratched.

Tiger Girrl
December 1st 06, 11:34 AM
cybercat wrote:
> "Lynne" > wrote in message
> m...
>> on Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:08:10 GMT, Tiger Girrl > wrote:
>>
>>> That was the first time in the 2 years since he came to live with me
>>> that he'd done this. Now he's making a habit of it. Not always, and
>>> not even frequently. It may be my imagination, but he seems to get into
>>> this behavior when my neurological condition changes (that is, I have a
>>> relapse or something goes into remission).
>> maybe he can sense something going on in your body, much like dogs who can
>> sense strokes just before they happen...?
>>
> I was thinking that too, without wanting to alarm the OP.
>
> I might want to get an ultrasound, if she feels anything has gone
> unexamined.

No alarm... :) These changes are bizarrely unpredictable to me - if it
turns out that Buster can be some kind of barometer I'd be *thrilled*.

I had no idea that some dogs can sense strokes. Our animal friends
never cease to amaze me.

cybercat
December 1st 06, 06:42 PM
"Darth Breather" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> one cat I knew did this to make her persn stay. like holding on to
> them.
>
> another jst did it for fun like kitty the fearless hunter. she made a
> wonderful mew rite befor she pounced so the kids kept playing to here
> her mew even tho they got niped and scratched.

This is very cute.