PDA

View Full Version : stroke in cat - drinking water

barb
December 3rd 06, 09:57 PM
Hi, I have a 12 year old female cat who recently had what we think was
a minor storke. Over the past 3 weeks she has gained her ability to eat
but appears not to have regained her needed tongue movement for
drinking. She walks around the house like before the storke, users her
litter box and seems content. I have been giving her water using a
bulb syringe. Does anyone have any ideas how to deliver water to her
so she can stay hydrated on her own?

Thanks,
Barb

Matthew
December 3rd 06, 10:21 PM
Please tell me you did not do this diagnoses on your own and a vet told you
this. IF NOT GET TO A VET that problem can be caused by more than a stroke

If she is eating wet food she is getting water from the food you can try
more wet food
IF she starts dehydrating you can use Gatorade in the method that you are
using also baby food that does not have garlic or onion powder in it

"barb" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Hi, I have a 12 year old female cat who recently had what we think was
> a minor storke. Over the past 3 weeks she has gained her ability to eat
> but appears not to have regained her needed tongue movement for
> drinking. She walks around the house like before the storke, users her
> litter box and seems content. I have been giving her water using a
> bulb syringe. Does anyone have any ideas how to deliver water to her
> so she can stay hydrated on her own?
>
> Thanks,
> Barb

Roby
December 3rd 06, 10:25 PM
barb wrote:

> Hi, I have a 12 year old female cat who recently had what we think was
> a minor storke. Over the past 3 weeks she has gained her ability to eat
> but appears not to have regained her needed tongue movement for
> drinking. She walks around the house like before the storke, users her
> litter box and seems content. I have been giving her water using a
> bulb syringe. Does anyone have any ideas how to deliver water to her
> so she can stay hydrated on her own?
>
> Thanks,
> Barb

Does she eat canned food? Those of mine who do seem to prefer it with
a little water stirred in to make it a bit soupy. This seems to be
enough water for them - I rarely see them drink.

You may need to give s/q fluids for a while. I have been through this
with several cats ... all seem to take the treatment with only a little
fidgeting. I am ALWAYS a nervous wreck though!

Do the pinch up the skin on the neck test to be sure she's hydrated.

Roby

barb
December 3rd 06, 11:11 PM
I can't believe we have another Barb again. Some of us are kind of known
and then you think it's the same one writing because the name is the same.

Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.