PDA

View Full Version : Internal bleeding in a cat

December 5th 06, 06:26 PM
Hi. I'm new to this group, but am really hoping someone might have
some suggestions/answers for me.

A little history: I had to cats--both spayed, indoor only calicos
about six months apart in age. Both had lived with me since they were
kittens. Last year in November, my husband and I were finding frequent
spit-ups, but we couldn't tell which cat was doing it. Before we could
figure it out, the older/bigger cat got really sick. When we took her
to the vet, he discovered she had lost all her blood-clotting ability.
The only thing he could think of that could cause this was exposure to
rat-poison, which we were sure couldn't have happened. After a day or
two, we had to put her down: she was 7 1/2 years old.

Flash forward to present: About three weeks ago, we noticed our
remaining cat wasn't using the litter box, and we weren't finding
messes anywhere around the house. The night before we were going to
phone the vet, she threw up blood. We took her to an emergency clinic,
who determined she was stable, brought her home and took her to our vet
the next day. She was tested for parasites (negative) and blood in the
feces (positive, but "hidden"). her hemocrits were low, but just in
the mormal range. Obviuosly bleeding, but from where and why? She's
been on anti-biotics and sulcrate, she stabilized and we brought her
home. But she stopped eating, and when I took her back last night, her
hemocrits had dropped. In searching for an answer, the vet is once
again asking about rat poison exposure. The cat is only 8 years old.

We have lived in the same house for 6 years. We have a 5 y.o. dog and
3 1/2 y.o. twins, all of whom are healthy. The cat doesn't go outside,
but I'm the only one who removes my shoes when I come in the house. No
new plants, furniture, paints, etc. have been introduced to the house
recently. We changed cat food after Miskit died last year.

The timing is what makes this really wierd: two cats getting sick with
similar symptons a year apart.

Any ideas?

TIA

me

mlbriggs
December 5th 06, 06:47 PM
On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 09:26:36 -0800, junkisus wrote:

> Hi. I'm new to this group, but am really hoping someone might have
> some suggestions/answers for me.
>
> A little history: I had to cats--both spayed, indoor only calicos
> about six months apart in age. Both had lived with me since they were
> kittens. Last year in November, my husband and I were finding frequent
> spit-ups, but we couldn't tell which cat was doing it. Before we could
> figure it out, the older/bigger cat got really sick. When we took her
> to the vet, he discovered she had lost all her blood-clotting ability.
> The only thing he could think of that could cause this was exposure to
> rat-poison, which we were sure couldn't have happened. After a day or
> two, we had to put her down: she was 7 1/2 years old.
>
> Flash forward to present: About three weeks ago, we noticed our
> remaining cat wasn't using the litter box, and we weren't finding
> messes anywhere around the house. The night before we were going to
> phone the vet, she threw up blood. We took her to an emergency clinic,
> who determined she was stable, brought her home and took her to our vet
> the next day. She was tested for parasites (negative) and blood in the
> feces (positive, but "hidden"). her hemocrits were low, but just in
> the mormal range. Obviuosly bleeding, but from where and why? She's
> been on anti-biotics and sulcrate, she stabilized and we brought her
> home. But she stopped eating, and when I took her back last night, her
> hemocrits had dropped. In searching for an answer, the vet is once
> again asking about rat poison exposure. The cat is only 8 years old.
>
> We have lived in the same house for 6 years. We have a 5 y.o. dog and
> 3 1/2 y.o. twins, all of whom are healthy. The cat doesn't go outside,
> but I'm the only one who removes my shoes when I come in the house. No
> new plants, furniture, paints, etc. have been introduced to the house
> recently. We changed cat food after Miskit died last year.
>
> The timing is what makes this really wierd: two cats getting sick with
> similar symptons a year apart.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA
>
> me

The only thing that comes to mind: perhaps the cat ate a bug that had
ingested the poison. MLB

Wendy
December 7th 06, 12:37 PM
"mlbriggs" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 09:26:36 -0800, junkisus wrote:
>
>> Hi. I'm new to this group, but am really hoping someone might have
>> some suggestions/answers for me.
>>
>> A little history: I had to cats--both spayed, indoor only calicos
>> about six months apart in age. Both had lived with me since they were
>> kittens. Last year in November, my husband and I were finding frequent
>> spit-ups, but we couldn't tell which cat was doing it. Before we could
>> figure it out, the older/bigger cat got really sick. When we took her
>> to the vet, he discovered she had lost all her blood-clotting ability.
>> The only thing he could think of that could cause this was exposure to
>> rat-poison, which we were sure couldn't have happened. After a day or
>> two, we had to put her down: she was 7 1/2 years old.
>>
>> Flash forward to present: About three weeks ago, we noticed our
>> remaining cat wasn't using the litter box, and we weren't finding
>> messes anywhere around the house. The night before we were going to
>> phone the vet, she threw up blood. We took her to an emergency clinic,
>> who determined she was stable, brought her home and took her to our vet
>> the next day. She was tested for parasites (negative) and blood in the
>> feces (positive, but "hidden"). her hemocrits were low, but just in
>> the mormal range. Obviuosly bleeding, but from where and why? She's
>> been on anti-biotics and sulcrate, she stabilized and we brought her
>> home. But she stopped eating, and when I took her back last night, her
>> hemocrits had dropped. In searching for an answer, the vet is once
>> again asking about rat poison exposure. The cat is only 8 years old.
>>
>> We have lived in the same house for 6 years. We have a 5 y.o. dog and
>> 3 1/2 y.o. twins, all of whom are healthy. The cat doesn't go outside,
>> but I'm the only one who removes my shoes when I come in the house. No
>> new plants, furniture, paints, etc. have been introduced to the house
>> recently. We changed cat food after Miskit died last year.
>>
>> The timing is what makes this really wierd: two cats getting sick with
>> similar symptons a year apart.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> me
>

> The only thing that comes to mind: perhaps the cat ate a bug that had
> ingested the poison. MLB

Or ate a mouse who ate poison. How long does it take for mouse poison to
kill a mouse?