PDA

View Full Version : deaf cats??

Camilla Baird
December 6th 06, 10:43 AM
Does anyone here have experience with deaf cats?
If YES, please write to the group & to me personally
Camilla

22brix
December 6th 06, 06:22 PM
I have a deaf cat, Molly. We rescued her when she was eight or nine years
old and now she's 16-17 years. We don't know how long she's been deaf--it
came on very gradually--she may have been deaf when we got her but it never
has seemed to bother her. She's extremely mellow and I keep her (and all my
cats) strictly indoors. I'm sure it's harder for a cat who suddenly goes
deaf but Molly doesn't seem to be bothered by much of anything.

Bonnie

"Camilla Baird" > wrote in message
k...
> Does anyone here have experience with deaf cats?
> If YES, please write to the group & to me personally
> Camilla

Rene S.
December 6th 06, 09:18 PM
Camilla Baird wrote:
> Does anyone here have experience with deaf cats?
> If YES, please write to the group & to me personally
> Camilla

My parent's late cat, Berries, went deaf in her last year or two of
life. (I later learned it's a symptom of Feline Cognitive Disorder, aka
kitty alzheimers). I started using hand gestures to get her attention.
Another tip I once read was that if you come up to a deaf kitty who is
resting, to gently tap your fingers next to them. They will feel the
vibrations of your fingers and not be so startled (vs just touching
them). That seemed to work quite well.

The only odd thing she did (which I can't say I blame her) was she
started meowing quite loudly, because she obviously could not hear
herself.

meeee
December 6th 06, 10:58 PM
"Camilla Baird" > wrote in message
k...
> Does anyone here have experience with deaf cats?
> If YES, please write to the group & to me personally
> Camilla

My parents had a blue eyed white cat who was deaf. It never seemed to bother
her, but I don't remember her ever meowing.

Camilla Baird
December 6th 06, 11:04 PM
meeee wrote:
> "Camilla Baird" > wrote in message
> k...
>> Does anyone here have experience with deaf cats?
>> If YES, please write to the group & to me personally
>> Camilla
>>

> My parents had a blue eyed white cat who was deaf. It never seemed to bother
> her, but I don't remember her ever meowing.

Please contact me privately at ;-)

Interesting that your parents' cat never meowed. Most owners of deaf
cats report that deaf cats meow more and louder than hearing cats...

Camilla

StephanieM
December 7th 06, 03:53 PM
I had a deaf cat growing up. He was deaf from birth. He seemed to be
fine. He did die at a young age from the urinary tract disease male
cats can get. He was also pure white, which I have read that animals
that are pure white are prone to more health problems.

StephanieM

dgk
December 7th 06, 08:20 PM
On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 10:43:10 +0100, Camilla Baird >
wrote:

>Does anyone here have experience with deaf cats?
>If YES, please write to the group & to me personally
>Camilla

I've wondered if Espy is deaf. He doesn't seem to hear vey well but
maybe he is very sensitive to vibrations because he will react to my
clapping hands together. Most of the time anyway. If I talk fairly
quietly behind him or call his name, he usually does not react.

He is certainly a very heavy sleeper for a cat if he isn't deaf. I
think he's hard of hearing because there are just signs that he's deaf
and signs that he isn't. Weird. He does talk pretty loudly when he
thinks it's time to be fed or treated.

Camilla Baird
December 7th 06, 11:59 PM
dgk wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 10:43:10 +0100, Camilla Baird >
> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone here have experience with deaf cats?
>> If YES, please write to the group & to me personally
>> Camilla
>
> I've wondered if Espy is deaf. He doesn't seem to hear vey well but
> maybe he is very sensitive to vibrations because he will react to my
> clapping hands together. Most of the time anyway. If I talk fairly
> quietly behind him or call his name, he usually does not react.
>
> He is certainly a very heavy sleeper for a cat if he isn't deaf. I
> think he's hard of hearing because there are just signs that he's deaf
> and signs that he isn't. Weird. He does talk pretty loudly when he
> thinks it's time to be fed or treated.

dgk
Please contact me privately on
Camilla

Camilla Baird
December 8th 06, 12:01 AM
StephanieM wrote:
> I had a deaf cat growing up. He was deaf from birth. He seemed to be
> fine. He did die at a young age from the urinary tract disease male
> cats can get. He was also pure white, which I have read that animals
> that are pure white are prone to more health problems.
>

> StephanieM

Stephanie
I don't know that white cats are prone to more heath problems than cats
of other colours, but there seems to be a larger amount of deaf white
cats than deaf cats of other colours.
Could you, please, contact me privately on
Camilla