PDA

View Full Version : is it best to go ahead or wait?

December 6th 06, 01:52 PM
We got the all clear from our vet after a ringworm problem 10 days ago,
& my Ragdoll queen is calling desperarately & every other week since
3rd october.I asked the vet if it is safe to go ahead and allow her to
mate with my stud cat,& she told me it was fine.Having said that, I was
talking to another breeder recently who told me that it is far too soon
to go ahead & mate her, even though neither of them actually contracted
ringworm.Only 2of my cats contracted it & both of them were Birmans,&
they have been quaratined since we discovered the out break-& even they
are clear now too.
Who do I listen to,my vet who gave me the all clear to go ahead, or the
breeder who has been breeding for over 20years & had a case of ringworm
herself several years ago?
I feel like I am going around in circles!!!Advice accepted gratefully
from you all, thanks!

December 6th 06, 02:15 PM
I forgot to add that when the cats were seen 3days ago, that there all
of their tests came back negative & there was no indication that they
had ever contracted it(2nd november 06).But I am still cautious as I
don't want to allow my queen & stud to mate if there is any risk to
either of them or the kittens too.....?
wrote:
> We got the all clear from our vet after a ringworm problem 10 days ago,
> & my Ragdoll queen is calling desperarately & every other week since
> 3rd october.I asked the vet if it is safe to go ahead and allow her to
> mate with my stud cat,& she told me it was fine.Having said that, I was
> talking to another breeder recently who told me that it is far too soon
> to go ahead & mate her, even though neither of them actually contracted
> ringworm.Only 2of my cats contracted it & both of them were Birmans,&
> they have been quaratined since we discovered the out break-& even they
> are clear now too.
> Who do I listen to,my vet who gave me the all clear to go ahead, or the
> breeder who has been breeding for over 20years & had a case of ringworm
> herself several years ago?
> I feel like I am going around in circles!!!Advice accepted gratefully
> from you all, thanks!

December 6th 06, 03:26 PM
Sorry, but I hate breeders and your problems really don't interest me.
The only advice I can give you is to STOP making more cats - right now
- and figure out some way to help the millions that are already here
and unwanted.

And don't mate your cats when they are recovering from ringworm.Don't
do it all - for that matter.

Phil P.
December 6th 06, 03:47 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> We got the all clear from our vet after a ringworm problem 10 days ago,
> & my Ragdoll queen is calling desperarately & every other week since
> 3rd october.I asked the vet if it is safe to go ahead and allow her to
> mate with my stud cat

Why? Is there a shortage of cats and kittens in your area? If you need some
cats and kittens, let me know. My shelter is full of them.

--
Don't breed or buy while shelter cats die.
www.maxshouse.com

cybercat
December 6th 06, 04:24 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Sorry, but I hate breeders and your problems really don't interest me.
> The only advice I can give you is to STOP making more cats - right now
> - and figure out some way to help the millions that are already here
> and unwanted.
>
> And don't mate your cats when they are recovering from ringworm.Don't
> do it all - for that matter.

Hear, hear. Thanks for giving me a break from being the bad guy.

Rhonda
December 6th 06, 05:35 PM
You probably should wait at least 12 years to make sure the ringworm is
completely gone.

Rhonda

wrote:
> I forgot to add that when the cats were seen 3days ago, that there all
> of their tests came back negative & there was no indication that they
> had ever contracted it(2nd november 06).But I am still cautious as I
> don't want to allow my queen & stud to mate if there is any risk to
> either of them or the kittens too.....?
> wrote:
>
>>We got the all clear from our vet after a ringworm problem 10 days ago,
>>& my Ragdoll queen is calling desperarately & every other week since
>>3rd october.I asked the vet if it is safe to go ahead and allow her to
>>mate with my stud cat,& she told me it was fine.Having said that, I was
>>talking to another breeder recently who told me that it is far too soon
>>to go ahead & mate her, even though neither of them actually contracted
>>ringworm.Only 2of my cats contracted it & both of them were Birmans,&
>>they have been quaratined since we discovered the out break-& even they
>>are clear now too.
>>Who do I listen to,my vet who gave me the all clear to go ahead, or the
>>breeder who has been breeding for over 20years & had a case of ringworm
>>herself several years ago?
>>I feel like I am going around in circles!!!Advice accepted gratefully
>>from you all, thanks!

meeee
December 6th 06, 10:01 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> We got the all clear from our vet after a ringworm problem 10 days ago,
> & my Ragdoll queen is calling desperarately & every other week since
> 3rd october.I asked the vet if it is safe to go ahead and allow her to
> mate with my stud cat,& she told me it was fine.Having said that, I was
> talking to another breeder recently who told me that it is far too soon
> to go ahead & mate her, even though neither of them actually contracted
> ringworm.Only 2of my cats contracted it & both of them were Birmans,&
> they have been quaratined since we discovered the out break-& even they
> are clear now too.
> Who do I listen to,my vet who gave me the all clear to go ahead, or the
> breeder who has been breeding for over 20years & had a case of ringworm
> herself several years ago?
> I feel like I am going around in circles!!!Advice accepted gratefully
> from you all, thanks!

I would say no, Sheelagh, don't do it if you aren't satisfied. instinct and
experience is usually right in these things. Leave her to the next call, it
won't matter.

Wendy
December 6th 06, 11:20 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> You probably should wait at least 12 years to make sure the ringworm is
> completely gone.
>
> Rhonda

ROFLOL

December 7th 06, 01:56 AM
> Sorry, but I hate breeders and your problems really don't interest me.
> The only advice I can give you is to STOP making more cats - right now
> - and figure out some way to help the millions that are already here
> and unwanted
>
> And don't mate your cats when they are recovering from ringworm.Don't
> do it all - for that matter.

I came to the group for advice & boy didn't I get it?!!I am so sorry
that you feel that way about me personally.(even though you do not know
me?!!!)It may interest you to know that *I do take a personal interest
in homing unwanted cats & kittens too,* & that I have spent more time
rehoming them than I have ever spent breeding them.I am currently doing
volantary work for the a shelter in my area & also for the cat
protection league as well.Also, that I would never bring a cat in to
the world that I wasn't absolutely sure was wanted & would have the
best home that I could provide for them either.Nevertheless, I have
taken on board all of your advice as it is all extreemly similar in
nature.I will not be breeding her in the near future.I also would like
you to know that I have three queens, one of which I have decided to
spay-hardly a breeding factory...I am also sorry that you looked upon
me as a whinging breeder too.You couldn't be further from the truth!My
cats are part of my family & I take their care as seriously as I would
my children's care.I was asking for advice as a newcomer, not as a
breeder.Even new mothers are entitled to ask for adivce, are they not?I
truely am sorry if you were offended by my question...It was never my
intention to.ok?

>Hear, hear. Thanks for giving me a break from being the bad guy
>cybercat!
Some people actually listen to your adivce, there is no reason for you
to be so caustic with your remarks.I genuinely wanted your advice-& I
have listened to you loud & clear too.What makes you think you are the
bad guy?When I asked you all for advice, I expected "constructive
critisim",& I have got it from most of you.I would be a fool to ignore
everyone telling me the same thing...I accept most of the remarks as
good adivce,including you too believe it or not....

> You probably should wait at least 12 "years" to make sure the
ringworm is
>completely gone.

>Rhonda
Did I read right? that you think I should wait 12 years????
I hope that you didn't mean that?I don't claim to be an expert, which
is why I asked for advice-If I thought that I knew better than you all,
I would never have asked what you all thought.I hope it was an error-I
know that I certainly make them.....:o(

> You probably should wait at least 12 years to make sure the ringworm
is
> completely gone.

>wendy
Did I read right that you think I should wait 12 years too??????ROFLOL
IS AN UNDERSTATMENT !!!!

> We got the all clear from our vet after a ringworm problem 10 days
ago,
> & my Ragdoll queen is calling desperarately & every other week since
> 3rd october.I asked the vet if it is safe to go ahead and allow her to
> mate with my stud cat

>Why? Is there a shortage of cats and kittens in your area? If you need some
>cats and kittens, let me know. My shelter is full of them.

--
>Don't breed or buy while shelter cats die.

Also thanks to Phil who as always gives valuable unselfish advice to
everyone ,all without hurting others purposly.I have had a look at the
site you sent for me to look at & I agree,it really did move me to see
how their plight, & how things are for you in the states.Where I live&
work, we *never put a healthy cat to sleep*, however long it takes to
home them (unless there is no alternative for medical reasons)...I was
very moved by their plight & understand why you made the remarks that
you did-I won't be having any kittens in the near future.Certainly not
until I AM 100% Satisfied that it is the right thing to do.There is a
shortage of homes for all of the cats in the shelter;I agree with you
on that one & would support any organisation that could benefit from my
help in my area as well.Thank you for your input-I see your point &
take it to heart too.I can now see it would be putting my cats @risk as
well as taking a chance that I don't need to. I am quite proud of the
fact that I have managed to rehome 31cats in the last 12months from the
centre, & hope that I can continue to in the future too.Life does not
evolve around getting my queens pregnant at all!It evolves around doing
the right thing for the cat @ the right time & I accept all of your
comments too.I only wish I could do more to help you with your shelter
as I can see how hard it must be for you to keep finding new home's for
them,by experiencing it myself here in uk too.Thanks Phil,point taken
>"o"<
..

>I would say no, Sheelagh, don't do it if you aren't satisfied. instinct and
>experience is usually right in these things. Leave her to the next call, it
>won't matter.
I have taken on board all of your advice as it is all extreemly
similar in nature.I will not be breeding her in the near future &
thanks for the gentle advice to trust my instincts, which is not to
bother currently.
Maybe I asked for this, but I genuinely was looking for practical
advice which was delivered in kindly terms from you-thanks very much!I
have so many questions, but fear to ask advice now.

But thanks all the same to all of you,I needed to hear that my concerns
were shared by others & that I was not being nuerotic... I certainly
got what I asked for it would seem!

Lynne
December 7th 06, 02:54 AM
Sheelagh is breeding pure bred cats and she sounds very concientious.
So long as she is doing proper health testing, is taking responsibility
for the LIFE of the kittens she sells and requires they are
spayed/neutered, I'm have no problem with that.

Sheelagh, you are doing those things, right?

As to your question, I think you should wait 2 heat cycles before you
breed your queen. One to be safe, and the second to be certain.
Ringworm is tough to fully eradicate.

December 7th 06, 03:41 AM
Sheelagh,

Of course I don't hate you personally, but I do hate what you're doing
and I hate it whether it's once or a kazillion times. Of course there
are breeders worse than you - there's somebody worse than just about
anybody, but that sort of moral relativism is really just an excuse.
The point is that breeding is terrible and unnecessary and there is not
a good enough reason to do it all - in any amount and at any time.
Helping to sate a demand for designer cats makes life harder for
shelter cats - who deserve homes as much as any other living creature
and are already in a desperate competition for the homes that exist -
without having to face the arsenal of designer kittens who are billed
as "more desirable". If you do volunteer at a shelter and re-home cats
- then its hard to see how you don't recognize this is working at
cross-purposes.

I'm glad that your shelter doesn't euthanize, but even in merrie old
England - thousands die every year - if not in your shelter than in
others. And many die because they aren't as cute or desirable as the
precious little kitties you breed - although they are very capable of
being wonderful pets if anybody would give them a chance to prove it.
Every customer of yours is one less hope for them. And don't tell me
your customers "wouldn't" adopt shelter cats anyhow - that's hooey -
I've personally re-homed lots of cats to people originally planning to
buy kittens - it's all about education and information.

And ending the breeding of cats.

> I came to the group for advice & boy didn't I get it?!!I am so sorry
> that you feel that way about me personally.(even though you do not know
> me?!!!)It may interest you to know that *I do take a personal interest
> in homing unwanted cats & kittens too,* & that I have spent more time
> rehoming them than I have ever spent breeding them.I am currently doing
> volantary work for the a shelter in my area & also for the cat
> protection league as well.Also, that I would never bring a cat in to
> the world that I wasn't absolutely sure was wanted & would have the
> best home that I could provide for them either.Nevertheless, I have
> taken on board all of your advice as it is all extreemly similar in
> nature.I will not be breeding her in the near future.I also would like
> you to know that I have three queens, one of which I have decided to
> spay-hardly a breeding factory...I am also sorry that you looked upon
> me as a whinging breeder too.You couldn't be further from the truth!My
> cats are part of my family & I take their care as seriously as I would
> my children's care.I was asking for advice as a newcomer, not as a
> breeder.Even new mothers are entitled to ask for adivce, are they not?I
> truely am sorry if you were offended by my question...It was never my
> intention to.ok?

Phil P.
December 7th 06, 07:06 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...

Also, that I would never bring a cat in to
> the world that I wasn't absolutely sure was wanted & would have the
> best home that I could provide for them

That does not absolve you- you're not doing the feline species any favors.
For every home you find for your kittens a shelter cat loses a potential
home. You say you volunteer in rescue- then you should know better- even if
you are in the UK.

December 7th 06, 04:18 PM
>Sheelagh is breeding pure bred cats and she sounds very concientious.
>So long as she is doing proper health testing, is taking responsibility
>for the LIFE of the kittens she sells and requires they are
>spayed/neutered, I'm have no problem with that.

Sheelagh, you are doing those things, right?
Sheelagh is breeding pure bred cats and she sounds very concientious.
So long as she is doing proper health testing, is taking responsibility

for the LIFE of the kittens she sells and requires they are
spayed/neutered, I'm have no problem with that.
Sheelagh, you are doing those things, right?

Yes Lynne, I take FULL responsibility for all kittens that are created
by of me.All of them are de-sexed before homing, &I chip every single
kitten(cat too!) that I home with *my own details* to ensure that if
they are found roaming or alone, that they are returned to me
personally(it is so cheap to do that it would be remiss of me not
to!)All kittens have all the medical attention that they require
including injections & blood tests, before going to new homes too.If I
am asked if I would agree to sell a pair of kittens so that they might
have company during the day, I wont do it.Instead I ask them to
consider taking a kitten/cat from a shelter as I am all too aware of
how needy they are of new homes too.I do the best that I am able to do&
it is worth mentioning that at least 50% of them do actually take my
advice!!
By the way Lynne, thank you so much for answering my original question,
which was how long should I wait for to be certain that both of my
queens are protected against ringworm before considering mating them.
>The point is that breeding is terrible and unnecessary and there is not
>a good enough reason to do it all - in any amount and at any time.
>Helping to sate a demand for designer cats makes life harder for
>shelter cats - who deserve homes as much as any other living creature
>and are already in a desperate competition for the homes that exist -
>without having to face the arsenal of designer kittens who are billed
>as "more desirable". If you do volunteer at a shelter and re-home cats
- >then its hard to see how you don't recognize this is working at
>cross-purposes.
Thank you for recognising that I am not a hateful person even though
you despise what I do in breeding pure bred cats-I appreciate that you
recognise that I personaly am not the worst person on earth too.
I take your comments on board & also understand your reasons for the
passion behind them also.Rather than repeating myself, if you read my
comments, you will appreciate that I take as much responsibility as I
can for every cat/kitten that I create... I do all that I can to ensure
that all of the people who come to me for a cat/kitten also consider
taking on a rescue cat too.What I cant do is force them,
unfortunately:(
>Every customer of yours is one less hope for them. And don't tell me
>your customers "wouldn't" adopt shelter cats anyhow - that's hooey -
>I've personally re-homed lots of cats to people originally planning to
>buy kittens - it's all about education and information
I agree wholeheartedly!!!!!
Quite the reverse actually, I do everything that I can do make sure
that everyone who comes to me for a kitten is aware of the plight of
rescued cats & encourage them to consider taking one as company for
their new kitten or cat.I never metion to anyone who comes to the
shelter looking for a pure breed cat, that I actually do breed them.I
think it would be the wrong thing to do & it would also retract them
from choosing a cat or kitten from the shelter.
I am truely sorry that you see what I do as a wicked thing.I dont seek
to absolve myself from my actions, merely to make you aware that not
all breeders see rescueing as a secondary issue.As you say, education
is the key to all knowledge,& I do my best to ensure that people are
educated to the plight of shelter cats.thank you for your comments, I
don't take them lightly-I take them all to heart.

>That does not absolve you- you're not doing the feline species any favors.
>For every home you find for your kittens a shelter cat loses a potential
>home. You say you volunteer in rescue- then you should know better- even if
>you are in the UK
I take your comments to heart & endevour to do my best to ensure that
people are aware of the plight of rescues Phil.I would hate to fall out
with any of you over this issue.All of my cats are desexed so there is
no chance of procreation & do everything that I can to make sure that
people are aware of shelter cat's plight too,as well as accepting
responsiblity for all cats I do create & what I do too.
I have just lost a cat who came from similar circumstances, so please
don't think I don't care at all about shelter cats, You couldn't be
further from the truth,honestly!!!
Maybe @ a later date,I will take one of the cats home from my shelter
where I work,but presently I am still mourning him,& to take another
one now would wrong of me to do.I agree that everyone should take in
just one cat from a shelter to help the poor cats that do end up
there-But like you, I Cant make everyone take one-I wish I could!All I
can do is highlight their plight their situation(which I do!) & educate
anyone who will listen to me
Please don't think me a bad person simply because I allow my
queens(both of them) to have a litter of kittens a year,all of whom are
de-sexed,to help stop the procreation of unwanted cats.
I accept all of your case arguments,& take what you say on board too.I
hear you loud and clear & promise to try to do better to let others
hear your case too.Thank you for the advice, ....genuinely!