PDA

View Full Version : my kitty keeps throwing up!

Bamfmom
December 6th 06, 08:23 PM
Hi! My little cat has a bad habit of gulping down her food and then throwing it right back up again about 5 or 10 minutes later. When she vomits, it's obvious that she hasn't even chewed her food, because it's whole pieces of cat food. It doesn't matter if I give her dry or canned food, either way she eats too fast and then gets sick. I've tried different brands of food; doesn't matter. I think it started when she was a kitten, because the house she lived in before I got her had 3 other cats, all older and bigger males, and she had to eat quickly then or there wouldn't be any food left for her. I've had her for years now and I've never been able to break her of this habit. It's pretty frustrating and also pretty gross having to clean up my floor all the time. The only way I can get her to keep her food down is to give her just a tiny bit of food, then wait half an hour, then give her a little more, etc. It ends up taking 3 or 4 hours to feed her, which is sometimes a problem if I have to leave. Was wondering if anyone has any ideas or experience with how to get her to slow down and actually chew her food? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Gail
December 6th 06, 11:07 PM
Give her high quality canned cat food only (no dry). Gradually increase the
amount of food she can have at a time. Also, bring her to the vet to make
sure there is not an underlying problem.
Gail
"Bamfmom" > wrote in message

> Hi! My little cat has a bad habit of gulping down her food and then
> throwing it right back up again about 5 or 10 minutes later. When she
> vomits, it's obvious that she hasn't even chewed her food, because it's
> whole pieces of cat food. It doesn't matter if I give her dry or canned
> food, either way she eats too fast and then gets sick. I've tried
> different brands of food; doesn't matter. I think it started when she
> was a kitten, because the house she lived in before I got her had 3
> other cats, all older and bigger males, and she had to eat quickly then
> or there wouldn't be any food left for her. I've had her for years now
> and I've never been able to break her of this habit. It's pretty
> frustrating and also pretty gross having to clean up my floor all the
> time. The only way I can get her to keep her food down is to give her
> just a tiny bit of food, then wait half an hour, then give her a little
> more, etc. It ends up taking 3 or 4 hours to feed her, which is
> sometimes a problem if I have to leave. Was wondering if anyone has
> any ideas or experience with how to get her to slow down and actually
> chew her food? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
>

> --
> Bamfmom

Phil P.
December 7th 06, 07:07 AM
"Bamfmom" > wrote in message

> Hi! My little cat has a bad habit of gulping down her food and then
> throwing it right back up again about 5 or 10 minutes later. When she
> vomits, it's obvious that she hasn't even chewed her food, because it's
> whole pieces of cat food. It doesn't matter if I give her dry or canned
> food, either way she eats too fast and then gets sick. I've tried
> different brands of food; doesn't matter. I think it started when she
> was a kitten, because the house she lived in before I got her had 3
> other cats, all older and bigger males, and she had to eat quickly then
> or there wouldn't be any food left for her. I've had her for years now
> and I've never been able to break her of this habit. It's pretty
> frustrating and also pretty gross having to clean up my floor all the
> time. The only way I can get her to keep her food down is to give her
> just a tiny bit of food, then wait half an hour, then give her a little
> more, etc. It ends up taking 3 or 4 hours to feed her, which is
> sometimes a problem if I have to leave. Was wondering if anyone has
> any ideas or experience with how to get her to slow down and actually
> chew her food? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Buy a pack of glass coasters and put a little food in each and place them a
few feet apart so she has to walk a feet between mouthfuls. Put about a
tablespoon or two on each coaster.

Buddy's Mom
December 7th 06, 11:08 AM
Feed her a little bit more often. I had a cat just like this.