PDA

View Full Version : Kitten Shiver/Tremors while falling asleep


beachgirl
December 8th 06, 10:12 PM
My 14 week old kitten has recently begun to shiver or have tremors when
he lays down and begins to fall asleep. His entire boddy shakes
slightly as though he is shivering from cold. I have attempted to warm
him up by covering him with a blanket but this does not stop the
shivering.

He had his second booster vaccination last week, could this be a side
effect? He does not have this symptom when he is awake and appears to
be in good health (good appetite, plays well, purrs, drinks plenty of
water, and has no other noticeable behavioural change since the
shivering began).

Does anyone have any ideas why he's shivering? Could it be just a
natural phase of sleep or something more serious?

Help!

cybercat
December 8th 06, 10:49 PM
"beachgirl" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> My 14 week old kitten has recently begun to shiver or have tremors when
> he lays down and begins to fall asleep. His entire boddy shakes
> slightly as though he is shivering from cold. I have attempted to warm
> him up by covering him with a blanket but this does not stop the
> shivering.
>

The only experience I have had with this is when one of my cat's
kittens shivered all over when she was tiny. She would be just
sitting there, and suddenly tremble all over. She was the runt of
the litter but she grew out of it and lived to be 18 or so.

Buddy's Mom
December 8th 06, 10:56 PM
They usually shiver like that when they have a fever. I would have the
vet check him just in case. Shortly after I adopted my cat from the
shelter he was trembling every once in a while. When he went into the
vet to be checked, he had a fever.

cybercat wrote:
> "beachgirl" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > My 14 week old kitten has recently begun to shiver or have tremors when
> > he lays down and begins to fall asleep. His entire boddy shakes
> > slightly as though he is shivering from cold. I have attempted to warm
> > him up by covering him with a blanket but this does not stop the
> > shivering.
> >
>
> The only experience I have had with this is when one of my cat's
> kittens shivered all over when she was tiny. She would be just
> sitting there, and suddenly tremble all over. She was the runt of
> the litter but she grew out of it and lived to be 18 or so.

beachgirl
December 12th 06, 06:55 PM
So I took him to the vet and they couldn't find anything wrong with
him. He doesn't have a fever, and is behaving in a healthy manner
(eating, playing, gaining weight, etc). But he's still
shivering/tremoring when he closes his eyes for a sleep...

The vet thinks it might be a reaction to the booster shot or just his
nervous system developing.

Does anyone have any other thoughts?

December 14th 06, 01:33 PM
My guy will do this in his sleep. I always thought he was having a
good mouse chasing dream.

On Dec 8, 4:12 pm, "beachgirl" > wrote:
> My 14 week old kitten has recently begun to shiver or have tremors when
> he lays down and begins to fall asleep. His entire boddy shakes
> slightly as though he is shivering from cold. I have attempted to warm
> him up by covering him with a blanket but this does not stop the
> shivering.
>
> He had his second booster vaccination last week, could this be a side
> effect? He does not have this symptom when he is awake and appears to
> be in good health (good appetite, plays well, purrs, drinks plenty of
> water, and has no other noticeable behavioural change since the
> shivering began).
>
> Does anyone have any ideas why he's shivering? Could it be just a
> natural phase of sleep or something more serious?
>
> Help!

beachgirl
January 29th 07, 06:33 PM
I think I finally figured out why he was shivering!!! The same week
that he started shivering is when he got his booster shot and I also
changed his food. He was previously eating the Royal Canin Kitten
formula but I changed him to the Wellness Kitten Super5 mix as it is a
better quality food. Well, I had a brainwave and thought maybe
there's something in the Wellness food that he's allergic to and is
causing the shiver. I therefore switched him back to the Royal Canin
to test out my theory....

It has been 6 days now and I have not seen one single shiver!!!! I'm
keeping my fingers crossed that this is what the problem was.

Has anyone every heard of a allergy symptom being a shiver? I can
only assume that if the food wasn't agreeing with him it was causing
his body distress/pain and this resulted in the shiver. Weird thing
is that his poop seemed fine and he never vomited. Poor little guy.
All seems well now though... I'll continue to monitor him.


On Dec 12 2006, 12:55 pm, "beachgirl" > wrote:
> So I took him to the vet and they couldn't find anything wrong with
> him. He doesn't have a fever, and is behaving in a healthy manner
> (eating, playing, gaining weight, etc). But he's still
> shivering/tremoring when he closes his eyes for a sleep...
>
> The vet thinks it might be a reaction to the booster shot or just his
> nervous system developing.
>
> Does anyone have any other thoughts?

cybercat
January 29th 07, 06:35 PM
"beachgirl" > wrote
> It has been 6 days now and I have not seen one single shiver!!!! I'm
> keeping my fingers crossed that this is what the problem was.
>
> Has anyone every heard of a allergy symptom being a shiver? I can
> only assume that if the food wasn't agreeing with him it was causing
> his body distress/pain and this resulted in the shiver. Weird thing
> is that his poop seemed fine and he never vomited. Poor little guy.
> All seems well now though... I'll continue to monitor him.
>

Very smart of you! I'm so glad the baby is doing better. Nobody
really understands how allergies work, in my opinion.

Matthew
January 29th 07, 06:54 PM
A mother's instinct is usually more precise than medicine. OR at least that
is what my mom told me ;-)

"beachgirl" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I think I finally figured out why he was shivering!!! The same week
> that he started shivering is when he got his booster shot and I also
> changed his food. He was previously eating the Royal Canin Kitten
> formula but I changed him to the Wellness Kitten Super5 mix as it is a
> better quality food. Well, I had a brainwave and thought maybe
> there's something in the Wellness food that he's allergic to and is
> causing the shiver. I therefore switched him back to the Royal Canin
> to test out my theory....
>
> It has been 6 days now and I have not seen one single shiver!!!! I'm
> keeping my fingers crossed that this is what the problem was.
>
> Has anyone every heard of a allergy symptom being a shiver? I can
> only assume that if the food wasn't agreeing with him it was causing
> his body distress/pain and this resulted in the shiver. Weird thing
> is that his poop seemed fine and he never vomited. Poor little guy.
> All seems well now though... I'll continue to monitor him.
>
>
> On Dec 12 2006, 12:55 pm, "beachgirl" > wrote:
>> So I took him to the vet and they couldn't find anything wrong with
>> him. He doesn't have a fever, and is behaving in a healthy manner
>> (eating, playing, gaining weight, etc). But he's still
>> shivering/tremoring when he closes his eyes for a sleep...
>>
>> The vet thinks it might be a reaction to the booster shot or just his
>> nervous system developing.
>>
>> Does anyone have any other thoughts?
>

Lynne
January 29th 07, 11:32 PM
on Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:33:11 GMT, "beachgirl" > wrote:

>
> Has anyone every heard of a allergy symptom being a shiver? I can
> only assume that if the food wasn't agreeing with him it was causing
> his body distress/pain and this resulted in the shiver. Weird thing
> is that his poop seemed fine and he never vomited. Poor little guy.
> All seems well now though... I'll continue to monitor him.

That's interesting. Did you compare the ingredient list side by side? I'd
be very curious to see what the Wellness has that the Royal Canin does not.
Of course it could be a combination of foods or a dye or even a pesticide
residue. Allergies are very tricky and different individuals have
different responses to them. Those responses can also change over time, so
it's not an exact science at all.

Even if it was purely coincidental, I think switching his food back was a
very smart move. I'm glad the shivering has stopped!

--
Lynne

Lynne
January 29th 07, 11:33 PM
on Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:54:42 GMT, "Matthew"
> wrote:

> A mother's instinct is usually more precise than medicine. OR at
> least that is what my mom told me ;-)

My son's cardiologists would agree with your mother!

--
Lynne

James
January 30th 07, 04:10 AM
On Jan 29, 12:33 pm, "beachgirl" > wrote:
> I think I finally figured out why he was shivering!!! The same week
> that he started shivering is when he got his booster shot and I also
> changed his food. He was previously eating the Royal Canin Kitten
> formula but I changed him to the Wellness Kitten Super5 mix as it is a
> better quality food. Well, I had a brainwave and thought maybe
> there's something in the Wellness food that he's allergic to and is
> causing the shiver. I therefore switched him back to the Royal Canin
> to test out my theory....
>
> It has been 6 days now and I have not seen one single shiver!!!! I'm
> keeping my fingers crossed that this is what the problem was.
>
> Has anyone every heard of a allergy symptom being a shiver? I can
> only assume that if the food wasn't agreeing with him it was causing
> his body distress/pain and this resulted in the shiver. Weird thing
> is that his poop seemed fine and he never vomited. Poor little guy.
> All seems well now though... I'll continue to monitor him.
>
If he shivers again after eating the other food than it's the food for
sure.

katya
November 10th 13, 12:49 AM
Hello,
I know it's been 7 years but I am currently experiencing the same issue with my 6 month kitten. She is shivering as if she is cold when she is about to fall asleep. In general she is very playful, has a good appetite and drinks plenty of water. She has all the vaccines, but the shivering started before she had those done. The thing is that I am feeding her with the same Royal Canin kitten formula along with other ones ; nutriscience, allo nature,etc. How did it work out for you? Once you stopped feeding him Wellness Mix he stopped shaking? Kind Regards and Thanks a lot.


My 14 week old kitten has recently begun to shiver or have tremors when
he lays down and begins to fall asleep. His entire boddy shakes
slightly as though he is shivering from cold. I have attempted to warm
him up by covering him with a blanket but this does not stop the
shivering.

He had his second booster vaccination last week, could this be a side
effect? He does not have this symptom when he is awake and appears to
be in good health (good appetite, plays well, purrs, drinks plenty of
water, and has no other noticeable behavioural change since the
shivering began).

Does anyone have any ideas why he's shivering? Could it be just a
natural phase of sleep or something more serious?

Help!