PDA

View Full Version : old cat don't like dirty litter box?

peter
December 9th 06, 03:11 AM
I read somewhere that old cats don't like dirty litter box. This seems to be
confirm by my own 19 year old cat's behavior. She now goes to bathroom a few
feet from the litter box if it is not clean.

So, why is it that old cats don't like dirty litter box??

cybercat
December 9th 06, 03:14 AM
"peter" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I read somewhere that old cats don't like dirty litter box. This seems to
>be confirm by my own 19 year old cat's behavior. She now goes to bathroom a
>few feet from the litter box if it is not clean.
>
> So, why is it that old cats don't like dirty litter box??

No cats like dirty litter boxes.

It you don't like poop on the floor, keep your litter box clean.

I know a cat that poops in the middle of her owner's BED when the box is
dirty.

December 9th 06, 03:51 AM
"peter" > wrote:

>So, why is it that old cats don't like dirty litter box??

Why would any cat be expected to like a dirty box? Also why would you
want a box full of **** and **** sitting around?

Get the clumping, scoopable, flushable type of wheat litter and you
can scoop the lumps and flush several times a day.
-mhd

2fingah
December 9th 06, 05:09 AM
peter wrote:
> I read somewhere that old cats don't like dirty litter box. This seems to be
> confirm by my own 19 year old cat's behavior. She now goes to bathroom a few
> feet from the litter box if it is not clean.
>
> So, why is it that old cats don't like dirty litter box??

define dirty

Buddy's Mom
December 9th 06, 11:03 AM
You also should have her checked by a vet to make sure she doesn't have
a UT infection.

peter wrote:
> I read somewhere that old cats don't like dirty litter box. This seems to be
> confirm by my own 19 year old cat's behavior. She now goes to bathroom a few
> feet from the litter box if it is not clean.
>
> So, why is it that old cats don't like dirty litter box??

kraut
December 9th 06, 01:58 PM
>I read somewhere that old cats don't like dirty litter box. This seems to be
>confirm by my own 19 year old cat's behavior. She now goes to bathroom a few
>feet from the litter box if it is not clean.
>
>So, why is it that old cats don't like dirty litter box??

None of mine like using a litter box that has not been cleaned whether
old or young. I can always tell when the box that my 15 year old
Kitty uses in the bedroom is dirty in the morning because she will
bite on my hand til I get up and the harder she bites the worse she
has to go.

Lets put it this way: Do you like using the toilet after a couple
others have used it and not flushed it??

Stick Waver
December 9th 06, 03:11 PM
peter wrote:

> I read somewhere that old cats don't like dirty litter box. This seems to be
> confirm by my own 19 year old cat's behavior. She now goes to bathroom a few
> feet from the litter box if it is not clean.
>
> So, why is it that old cats don't like dirty litter box??

Is this a troll?

Scoop out the dang litter box at least once a day!

sax_playa86
December 9th 06, 04:21 PM
Alright, we're all going to use a toilet, and by all I mean every
single person on this group, and not flush it, then send you in to use
it and see what your reaction is.... Obviously the poor thing isn't
going to like a dirty litterbox.....

On a side note though, because I think a couple of you real pet lovers
might enjoy this, my old cat Spook absolutely hated the litterbox. He'd
use it, but couldn't stand it, so if you caught sight of him, he'd go
over, stand on all 4 corners of the box so he didn't have to touch the
litter, go to the bathroom then stand outside of it and cover it up,
looking like the world was coming to an end... We had to build him a
special little piece to go around the litterbox when he got older to
make it easier for him to balance around the edge...

peter wrote:
> I read somewhere that old cats don't like dirty litter box. This seems to be
> confirm by my own 19 year old cat's behavior. She now goes to bathroom a few
> feet from the litter box if it is not clean.
>
> So, why is it that old cats don't like dirty litter box??

2fingah
December 10th 06, 04:57 AM
kraut wrote:

> Lets put it this way: Do you like using the toilet after a couple
> others have used it and not flushed it??

Jupiter is like that, she has zero tolerance for anything in the litter
box
Lucy on the other hand will bury crap with crap

somedays im gone ALL DAY LONG and don't get in till after dark

more times than not, I stop in to feed them and scoop the litter

cindys
December 11th 06, 10:14 PM
> wrote in message
> "peter" > wrote:
>

>>So, why is it that old cats don't like dirty litter box??
>
> Why would any cat be expected to like a dirty box? Also why would you
> want a box full of **** and **** sitting around?
>
> Get the clumping, scoopable, flushable type of wheat litter and you
> can scoop the lumps and flush several times a day.
> -mhd
----------
I used to use that, and it eventually clogged up the pipes in my house (not
just the toilet) over an extended period of time. The repair bill was well
over $100. The plumber told me not to flush *any kind* of cat litter
anymore, including the supposedly flushable wheat litter (which was the only
kind I ever flushed).
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Eva Quesnell
December 11th 06, 11:30 PM
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, cindys wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> "peter" > wrote:
>>

>>> So, why is it that old cats don't like dirty litter box??
>>
>> Why would any cat be expected to like a dirty box? Also why would you
>> want a box full of **** and **** sitting around?
>>
>> Get the clumping, scoopable, flushable type of wheat litter and you
>> can scoop the lumps and flush several times a day.
>> -mhd
> ----------
> I used to use that, and it eventually clogged up the pipes in my house (not
> just the toilet) over an extended period of time. The repair bill was well
> over $100. The plumber told me not to flush *any kind* of cat litter
> anymore, including the supposedly flushable wheat litter (which was the only
> kind I ever flushed).
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

Yikes! I wouldn't consider *flushing* any kind of cat litter. I scoop
mine out into a little plastic bag and rush it out to the trash. I would
think that the scooping kind would especially mess with your plumbing.
Yikes!

Eva

December 12th 06, 12:31 AM
"cindys" > wrote:

> wrote in message
>> "peter" > wrote:
>>

>>>So, why is it that old cats don't like dirty litter box??
>>
>> Why would any cat be expected to like a dirty box? Also why would you
>> want a box full of **** and **** sitting around?
>>
>> Get the clumping, scoopable, flushable type of wheat litter and you
>> can scoop the lumps and flush several times a day.
>> -mhd
>----------
>I used to use that, and it eventually clogged up the pipes in my house (not
>just the toilet) over an extended period of time. The repair bill was well
>over $100. The plumber told me not to flush *any kind* of cat litter
>anymore, including the supposedly flushable wheat litter (which was the only
>kind I ever flushed).
>Best regards,
>---Cindy S.

I guess that depends on the age and size of your pipes in your house.
I know I send things down the pipe that probably give it a good
scrubbing on the way through.

Did you get your pipes scoped (robot camera) or was it just his guess
that the litter was the problem?

-mhd

cindys
December 12th 06, 12:35 AM
"Eva Quesnell" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, cindys wrote:
>

>> > wrote in message

>>> Why would any cat be expected to like a dirty box? Also why would you
>>> want a box full of **** and **** sitting around?
>>>
>>> Get the clumping, scoopable, flushable type of wheat litter and you
>>> can scoop the lumps and flush several times a day.
>>> -mhd
>> ----------
>> I used to use that, and it eventually clogged up the pipes in my house
>> (not
>> just the toilet) over an extended period of time. The repair bill was
>> well
>> over $100. The plumber told me not to flush *any kind* of cat litter
>> anymore, including the supposedly flushable wheat litter (which was the
>> only
>> kind I ever flushed).
>> Best regards,
>> ---Cindy S.
>
> Yikes! I wouldn't consider *flushing* any kind of cat litter. I scoop
> mine out into a little plastic bag and rush it out to the trash. I would
> think that the scooping kind would especially mess with your plumbing.
> Yikes!
----------
This was Sweet Scoop (tm), a special cat litter made out of wheat that *was
supposed to be* flushable! (according to the package). It might have been
okay if I had only one cat and not much to flush, but I have 5 cats and 6
litter boxes. That was an awful lot of Sweet Scoop going down the pipes.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

December 12th 06, 12:51 AM
Eva Quesnell > wrote:

>Yikes! I wouldn't consider *flushing* any kind of cat litter. I scoop
>mine out into a little plastic bag and rush it out to the trash. I would
>think that the scooping kind would especially mess with your plumbing.
>Yikes!

Key word is flushable.

-mhd

cindys
December 12th 06, 01:16 AM
> wrote in message
> "cindys" > wrote:
>

> wrote in message

>>> Why would any cat be expected to like a dirty box? Also why would you
>>> want a box full of **** and **** sitting around?
>>>
>>> Get the clumping, scoopable, flushable type of wheat litter and you
>>> can scoop the lumps and flush several times a day.
>>> -mhd
>>----------
>>I used to use that, and it eventually clogged up the pipes in my house
>>(not
>>just the toilet) over an extended period of time. The repair bill was well
>>over $100. The plumber told me not to flush *any kind* of cat litter
>>anymore, including the supposedly flushable wheat litter (which was the
>>only
>>kind I ever flushed).
>>Best regards,
>>---Cindy S.
>>

> I guess that depends on the age and size of your pipes in your house.
> I know I send things down the pipe that probably give it a good
> scrubbing on the way through.
>
> Did you get your pipes scoped (robot camera) or was it just his guess
> that the litter was the problem?
-----------
It was his guess, but it never happened before or since.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Tiger Girl
December 12th 06, 08:56 AM
>> Yikes! I wouldn't consider *flushing* any kind of cat litter. I scoop
>> mine out into a little plastic bag and rush it out to the trash. I would
>> think that the scooping kind would especially mess with your plumbing.
>> Yikes!
> ----------
> This was Sweet Scoop (tm), a special cat litter made out of wheat that *was
> supposed to be* flushable! (according to the package). It might have been
> okay if I had only one cat and not much to flush, but I have 5 cats and 6
> litter boxes. That was an awful lot of Sweet Scoop going down the pipes.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

I have just one cat (and not a voluminous eliminator, either) and I
still wound up with trouble flushing that stuff.

Eva Quesnell
December 12th 06, 03:17 PM
On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, Tiger Girl wrote:

>>> Yikes! I wouldn't consider *flushing* any kind of cat litter. I scoop
>>> mine out into a little plastic bag and rush it out to the trash. I would
>>> think that the scooping kind would especially mess with your plumbing.
>>> Yikes!
>> ----------
>> This was Sweet Scoop (tm), a special cat litter made out of wheat that *was
>> supposed to be* flushable! (according to the package). It might have been
>> okay if I had only one cat and not much to flush, but I have 5 cats and 6
>> litter boxes. That was an awful lot of Sweet Scoop going down the pipes.
>> Best regards,
>> ---Cindy S.
>
> I have just one cat (and not a voluminous eliminator, either) and I still
> wound up with trouble flushing that stuff.

Yeah, I wouldn't take the chance even if they did say it was flushable.
Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. :)

Eva

December 12th 06, 04:32 PM
Tiger Girl > wrote:

>>> Yikes! I wouldn't consider *flushing* any kind of cat litter. I scoop
>>> mine out into a little plastic bag and rush it out to the trash. I would
>>> think that the scooping kind would especially mess with your plumbing.
>>> Yikes!
>> ----------
>> This was Sweet Scoop (tm), a special cat litter made out of wheat that *was
>> supposed to be* flushable! (according to the package). It might have been
>> okay if I had only one cat and not much to flush, but I have 5 cats and 6
>> litter boxes. That was an awful lot of Sweet Scoop going down the pipes.
>> Best regards,
>> ---Cindy S.
>
>I have just one cat (and not a voluminous eliminator, either) and I
>still wound up with trouble flushing that stuff.

Then your equipment is clearly not up the task - don't blame the
litter.

You need a new Thomas Crapper heavy duty 3 coiler model.

-mhd

Lynne
December 12th 06, 04:33 PM
on Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:17:27 GMT, Eva Quesnell > wrote:

> Yeah, I wouldn't take the chance even if they did say it was flushable.
> Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. :)

I flush Feline Pine and have never had a problem with my toilet. I don't
have the best toilets, either. My 16 year old still hasn't learned that
his toilet needs to be flushed several times during one sitting, if you
know what I mean.

Every homeowner should have a toilet snake for when a plunger isn't enough,
IMO. I've saved all kinds of money with mine, by avoiding plumber visits.

--
Lynne

cindys
December 12th 06, 06:03 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> on Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:17:27 GMT, Eva Quesnell > wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I wouldn't take the chance even if they did say it was flushable.
>> Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. :)
>
> I flush Feline Pine and have never had a problem with my toilet. I don't
> have the best toilets, either. My 16 year old still hasn't learned that
> his toilet needs to be flushed several times during one sitting, if you
> know what I mean.
>
> Every homeowner should have a toilet snake for when a plunger isn't
> enough,
> IMO. I've saved all kinds of money with mine, by avoiding plumber visits.
-----------
A snake wouldn't have helped in that particular situation. The plumber had
to shut off the water and was clearing out pipes in the basement.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

pokerchimp
December 12th 06, 06:07 PM
My six year old goes in the box, she buries her pee, but not her poop. The
kitten jumps in after her now and buries her poop.

"sax_playa86" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Alright, we're all going to use a toilet, and by all I mean every
> single person on this group, and not flush it, then send you in to use
> it and see what your reaction is.... Obviously the poor thing isn't
> going to like a dirty litterbox.....
>
> On a side note though, because I think a couple of you real pet lovers
> might enjoy this, my old cat Spook absolutely hated the litterbox. He'd
> use it, but couldn't stand it, so if you caught sight of him, he'd go
> over, stand on all 4 corners of the box so he didn't have to touch the
> litter, go to the bathroom then stand outside of it and cover it up,
> looking like the world was coming to an end... We had to build him a
> special little piece to go around the litterbox when he got older to
> make it easier for him to balance around the edge...
>
> peter wrote:
>> I read somewhere that old cats don't like dirty litter box. This seems to
>> be
>> confirm by my own 19 year old cat's behavior. She now goes to bathroom a
>> few
>> feet from the litter box if it is not clean.
>>
>> So, why is it that old cats don't like dirty litter box??

pokerchimp
December 12th 06, 06:10 PM
In fact the kitten, Sidney, seems to love the litter box. He plays in it
like it is a sandbox, even brings toys in it. Fortunately I can keep it
pristine because I am home all day. Every time I go to scoop he is
fascinated and tries to put his head into the litter locker, which is
totally disgusting. Also, I always have a chapparone to the bathroom, and
he always watches after I flush.

"sax_playa86" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Alright, we're all going to use a toilet, and by all I mean every
> single person on this group, and not flush it, then send you in to use
> it and see what your reaction is.... Obviously the poor thing isn't
> going to like a dirty litterbox.....
>
> On a side note though, because I think a couple of you real pet lovers
> might enjoy this, my old cat Spook absolutely hated the litterbox. He'd
> use it, but couldn't stand it, so if you caught sight of him, he'd go
> over, stand on all 4 corners of the box so he didn't have to touch the
> litter, go to the bathroom then stand outside of it and cover it up,
> looking like the world was coming to an end... We had to build him a
> special little piece to go around the litterbox when he got older to
> make it easier for him to balance around the edge...
>
> peter wrote:
>> I read somewhere that old cats don't like dirty litter box. This seems to
>> be
>> confirm by my own 19 year old cat's behavior. She now goes to bathroom a
>> few
>> feet from the litter box if it is not clean.
>>
>> So, why is it that old cats don't like dirty litter box??

Lynne
December 12th 06, 06:14 PM
on Tue, 12 Dec 2006 18:07:40 GMT, "pokerchimp" >
wrote:

> My six year old goes in the box, she buries her pee, but not her poop.
> The kitten jumps in after her now and buries her poop.

Haha! That's great.

My kitten throws litter around like confetti on New Years Eve. He cracks
me up. They both cover their poop, but my over sensitive nose requires
immediate scooping regardless.

--
Lynne

pokerchimp
December 12th 06, 06:20 PM
I had to go out and buy a huge deep litter box. I don't know how people
with those small boxes do it. I'm on my 3rd upsize. Now it is a 17" deep
and my porch is still covered in a little litter.

"Lynne" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> on Tue, 12 Dec 2006 18:07:40 GMT, "pokerchimp" >
> wrote:
>
>> My six year old goes in the box, she buries her pee, but not her poop.
>> The kitten jumps in after her now and buries her poop.
>
> Haha! That's great.
>
> My kitten throws litter around like confetti on New Years Eve. He cracks
> me up. They both cover their poop, but my over sensitive nose requires
> immediate scooping regardless.
>
> --
> Lynne

cindys
December 17th 06, 04:37 AM
"pokerchimp" > wrote in message
>I had to go out and buy a huge deep litter box. I don't know how people
>with those small boxes do it. I'm on my 3rd upsize. Now it is a 17" deep
>and my porch is still covered in a little litter.
Try a hooded/covered litter box. It was worth every penny. I put some
newspaper in front of the entrance as that's the only place where the cats
are able to track out small amounts of litter. What a difference!
Best regards,
---Cindy S.