PDA

View Full Version : Injured cat

December 9th 06, 02:56 PM
I am hoping that I can get any advice or guidance for my cat (Squeaky).
My cat got caught in my garage door - I took her to the emergency room
immediately & the vet told me that she has no broken bones & that her
spinal cord is fine. Squeaky drags both of her back legs. Her tail does
have some movement. I love her dearly, but I do not want to see her in
this condition. She has a tremendous appetite & has been able to go the
bathroom so I believe those are good signs. I have been told it may
take several weeks for her to recover. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Stick Waver
December 9th 06, 03:10 PM
wrote:

> I am hoping that I can get any advice or guidance for my cat (Squeaky).
> My cat got caught in my garage door - I took her to the emergency room
> immediately & the vet told me that she has no broken bones & that her
> spinal cord is fine. Squeaky drags both of her back legs. Her tail does
> have some movement. I love her dearly, but I do not want to see her in
> this condition. She has a tremendous appetite & has been able to go the
> bathroom so I believe those are good signs. I have been told it may
> take several weeks for her to recover. Any advice would be appreciated.
> Thanks.

If the vet believes there are "no broken bones" why is she dragging
her back legs and what is there to recover from?

December 9th 06, 03:46 PM
wrote:
> I am hoping that I can get any advice or guidance for my cat (Squeaky).
> My cat got caught in my garage door - I took her to the emergency room
> immediately & the vet told me that she has no broken bones & that her
> spinal cord is fine. Squeaky drags both of her back legs. Her tail does
> have some movement. I love her dearly, but I do not want to see her in
> this condition. She has a tremendous appetite & has been able to go the
> bathroom so I believe those are good signs. I have been told it may
> take several weeks for her to recover. Any advice would be appreciated.
> Thanks.

I believe that emergency vets are somewhat like human emergency rooms.
They're just not in business to care for longterm illnesses. They'll do
what they can to get your cat out of a crisis situation, then it's up
to you to see a regular vet.
Can you take her for to another vet for an evaluation? You might get a
much better idea what her prognosis is.
Try not to get discouraged if it's going to be a waiting game. I hope a
new vet can give you a better idea of what her quality of life really
is, whether she is in pain, or whether you'll see some gradual
improvement over time.
I had a cat who wasn't injured, but got so ill he did start dragging
his back legs. It's a heartbreaking thing to see. But you should see
him now, he's the picture of health. Don't lose hope yet.

Sherry

December 9th 06, 04:03 PM
I am planning to take her Monday to her vet (he won't see her until
then). That's the reason I was asking if anybody had a similiar
situation.

barb wrote:
> You could get a second opinion, and I don't mean from a newsgroup. Another
> qualified vet, maybe a good work-up. Some things do just get better. You
> are right, however to be concerned.
> --
> Barb
> Of course I don't look busy,
> I did it right the first time.

Eva Quesnell
December 9th 06, 04:10 PM
On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 wrote:

> I am planning to take her Monday to her vet (he won't see her until
> then). That's the reason I was asking if anybody had a similiar
> situation.

My sister's cat was once handled roughly by a dog -- playing mostly. But
after the incident, the cat was taken to the vet. Vet said no broken
bones, no puncture wounds. But the cat was so stressed by what happened
that he couldn't move his back legs. This could be the case, but I agree
that you need a second opinion. In the meantime, keep her in a quiet
place where nothing can scare her or stress her. It's the best I can
think of. Good luck!

Eva

> barb wrote:
>> You could get a second opinion, and I don't mean from a newsgroup. Another
>> qualified vet, maybe a good work-up. Some things do just get better. You
>> are right, however to be concerned.
>> --
>> Barb
>> Of course I don't look busy,
>> I did it right the first time.

December 9th 06, 04:10 PM
wrote:
> I am planning to take her Monday to her vet (he won't see her until
> then). That's the reason I was asking if anybody had a similiar
> situation.

Good luck to her. Please post and let us know what the vet says.
The only other similar situation I've had is my old cat Cherokee who
had a stroke. He did regain his legs but his tail dragged the rest of
his life. I suppose it's not out of the question that your kitty could
have suffered a brain injury also.

Sherry

barb
December 9th 06, 04:53 PM
You could get a second opinion, and I don't mean from a newsgroup. Another
qualified vet, maybe a good work-up. Some things do just get better. You
are right, however to be concerned.
--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

cybercat
December 9th 06, 04:58 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I am planning to take her Monday to her vet (he won't see her until
> then). That's the reason I was asking if anybody had a similiar
> situation.

Good idea. It might be reversible nerve damage, or really bad soft-tissue
injury. (Ever had a bad sprain? It is really only a bruise, but it hurts so
much
you really do not want to use the injured part, hence the dragging.) If it
is
a soft tissue injury, you and she are lucky, but they take a lonnnnng time
heal if cats are anything like humans.

-L.
December 9th 06, 05:52 PM
wrote:
> I am planning to take her Monday to her vet (he won't see her until
> then). That's the reason I was asking if anybody had a similiar
> situation.

I have seen cats recover from similar injuries - you need a second
opinion, though, and only time will tell if she will recover fully.
The fact that she can pee and poop on her own is excellent. Scuh
injuries sometimes take months to improve. She probably has swelling
around the spinal cord which is affecting her ability to control her
lower body. With time that should ease but she needs to be on an
antiinflammatory drug as well.

-L.

December 13th 06, 08:06 PM
-L. wrote:
> wrote:
> > I am planning to take her Monday to her vet (he won't see her until
> > then). That's the reason I was asking if anybody had a similiar
> > situation.
>
> I have seen cats recover from similar injuries - you need a second
> opinion, though, and only time will tell if she will recover fully.
> The fact that she can pee and poop on her own is excellent. Scuh
> injuries sometimes take months to improve. She probably has swelling
> around the spinal cord which is affecting her ability to control her
> lower body. With time that should ease but she needs to be on an
> antiinflammatory drug as well.
>
> -L.

Just to fill everyone in on Squeaky's progress- i took her to my
regular vet & basically he did not tell me anything new about her. I
decided to try a cortisone injection & I should let the vet know of her
progress in a week. In a nut shell she is about the same.