PDA

View Full Version : Kitten biting her nails...

sax_playa86
December 9th 06, 04:26 PM
Alright, so my baby girl, Marziale, has this addiction to chewing on
her nails. She has been into the vet, up to date on her shots, and I
also took her in a couple extra times because she was left in a plastic
bag on the side of the road, which is how I ended up getting her (I
know, poor baby, but she's got a loving home now :) ) and anyway, we
were worried that there was a chance her respiratory system may have
been affected longterm. The vet says that she's completely healthy and
its just a habit that Marz has gotten herself into. I do trim her nails
regularily, but she's constantly bitting them... does anyone have any
advice on how to get her to stop?

cybercat
December 9th 06, 04:59 PM
"sax_playa86" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Alright, so my baby girl, Marziale, has this addiction to chewing on
> her nails. She has been into the vet, up to date on her shots, and I
> also took her in a couple extra times because she was left in a plastic
> bag on the side of the road, which is how I ended up getting her (I
> know, poor baby, but she's got a loving home now :) ) and anyway, we
> were worried that there was a chance her respiratory system may have
> been affected longterm. The vet says that she's completely healthy and
> its just a habit that Marz has gotten herself into. I do trim her nails
> regularily, but she's constantly bitting them... does anyone have any
> advice on how to get her to stop?

Is she breaking the skin? If not, why worry about it? My cat does this,
but it is the way she cleans her feet, not so much her nails.

-L.
December 9th 06, 05:39 PM
sax_playa86 wrote:
> Alright, so my baby girl, Marziale, has this addiction to chewing on
> her nails. She has been into the vet, up to date on her shots, and I
> also took her in a couple extra times because she was left in a plastic
> bag on the side of the road, which is how I ended up getting her (I
> know, poor baby, but she's got a loving home now :) ) and anyway, we
> were worried that there was a chance her respiratory system may have
> been affected longterm. The vet says that she's completely healthy and
> its just a habit that Marz has gotten herself into. I do trim her nails
> regularily, but she's constantly bitting them... does anyone have any
> advice on how to get her to stop?

Cats will often chew toenails to remove the outer sheaths from the nail
- but if it is excessive (many tiimes a day), it may be a problem. Do
you treat your carpets or wash your floors with a scented or strong
chemical? I suspect she is allergic to something she is stepping in
and her feet itch. Switch to unscented cat litter and clean your
floors with natural cleaners, and see if that makes any difference. If
it's only an occassional chew, don't worry. :)

-L.

Eva Quesnell
December 9th 06, 07:55 PM
On Sat, 9 Dec 2006, sax_playa86 wrote:

> Alright, so my baby girl, Marziale, has this addiction to chewing on
> her nails. She has been into the vet, up to date on her shots, and I
> also took her in a couple extra times because she was left in a plastic
> bag on the side of the road, which is how I ended up getting her (I
> know, poor baby, but she's got a loving home now :) ) and anyway, we
> were worried that there was a chance her respiratory system may have
> been affected longterm. The vet says that she's completely healthy and
> its just a habit that Marz has gotten herself into. I do trim her nails
> regularily, but she's constantly bitting them... does anyone have any
> advice on how to get her to stop?

Give her a nice little scratching tree, and she can remove those old nails
by scratching. I find little "husks" of old nails by my cats' trees all
the time. It won't hurt her. She's just pulling off the old nails and
most likely spitting them out. :)

Eva