PDA

View Full Version : A Q on grooming

ensoul
December 10th 06, 06:27 PM
A certain area that is....I have two brothers, both long hairs, they
tolerate their dailey brushing and since they are long hairs when they
use the litter box on occasion they get feces stuck in their fur

They do not tolerate in any form me trying to get it off. I have tried
a warm wash cloth thats soaked in a small amount of shampoo and cutting
it off.

It's enough of a problem that they stink horribly when it happens and
it lasts for days. I don't want them licking it off, I would think
that would make them very ill.

I also use hairball ointment every 3 days since long hairs have more of
a problem with that.

ensoul

There's beauty in the silver singing river, There's beauty in the
sunrise in the sky, But none of these and nothing else can match the
beauty, That I remember in my true love's eyes ~Bob Dylan

December 10th 06, 06:44 PM
ensoul wrote:
> A certain area that is....I have two brothers, both long hairs, they
> tolerate their dailey brushing and since they are long hairs when they
> use the litter box on occasion they get feces stuck in their fur
>
> They do not tolerate in any form me trying to get it off. I have tried
> a warm wash cloth thats soaked in a small amount of shampoo and cutting
> it off.
>
> It's enough of a problem that they stink horribly when it happens and
> it lasts for days. I don't want them licking it off, I would think
> that would make them very ill.
>
> I also use hairball ointment every 3 days since long hairs have more of
> a problem with that.
>
> ensoul

Been there, done that, and it's a disgusting problem. Best solution for
me was to take the offending kitty to a groomer/vet for a "baboon cut"
(also some call it a "potty trail cut" or "sanitary shave". They shave
the butt area, and down the back of the legs. No more dingleberries,
ever! IIRC the vet charged about $25 for this, and it would last about
4 months. I didn't mind the $25--there are some things that it's just
better to pay the professionals to do. Good luck.

Sherry

Magic Mood JeepŠ
December 10th 06, 06:46 PM
In oups.com,
ensoul purred:
> A certain area that is....I have two brothers, both long hairs, they
> tolerate their dailey brushing and since they are long hairs when they
> use the litter box on occasion they get feces stuck in their fur
>
> They do not tolerate in any form me trying to get it off. I have
> tried a warm wash cloth thats soaked in a small amount of shampoo and
> cutting it off.
>
> It's enough of a problem that they stink horribly when it happens and
> it lasts for days. I don't want them licking it off, I would think
> that would make them very ill.
>
> I also use hairball ointment every 3 days since long hairs have more
> of a problem with that.
>
> ensoul

I usually take my long haired kitty to the vet and have her nether regions
trimmed. Sure, it looks funny - but after they get over the *shock* of
getting /that/ area "invaded", she doesn't mind - probably appreciates it as
a matter of face :D

And as to them ingesting their own feces - how do you think they clean their
butt? They use their tongues - and they ingest some in the process. Been
doing it for eons (long before man domesticated any cat) - and doesn't make
them "sick".

cybercat
December 10th 06, 06:49 PM
"ensoul" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>A certain area that is....I have two brothers, both long hairs, they
> tolerate their dailey brushing and since they are long hairs when they
> use the litter box on occasion they get feces stuck in their fur

So the housing people did not make you get rid of a cat? That's
great.

> They do not tolerate in any form me trying to get it off. I have tried
> a warm wash cloth thats soaked in a small amount of shampoo and cutting
> it off.
>
> It's enough of a problem that they stink horribly when it happens and
> it lasts for days. I don't want them licking it off, I would think
> that would make them very ill.

When we got our cat Boo she was very fat and could not reach to clean
herself, so we had the same problem. It is very simple. Get someone to help
you.
They--or you--wrap kitty in a thick towel and hold him in such a way that he
cannot bite or scratch, and his butt is uncovered. Use one of those
haircutting
kits you can find at Walmart or whereever--the shaver looks like an electric
razor, kind of? Shave the area that has poop stuck to it.

Don't say you CAN'T do it. You CAN. I did, so I know. And yes, Boo
was wild and scratched and bit.

cybercat
December 10th 06, 07:03 PM
"cybercat" > wrote>

> Shave the area that has poop stuck to it.

I forgot to add, bath him AFTER the cut. Definitely
do not mess with trying to wash the poo out, eeeyyuuu!

pokerchimp
December 12th 06, 05:45 PM
I have exactly the same problem with my 6 year old girl who is very
longhaired. I've only had her for about 8 months, and she won't tolerate
being held. I can pet her all over, get her to roll over on her belly, but
she freaks when I get near her ah. I cannot hold her for long, even on my
lap. Also, she doesn't like to be brushed very much and always runs (well,
walks fast, shes fat and slow) from the shed ender.

When I first got her she came with a basic brush, which she will tolerate,
and even likes around her face. Then I got the shed ender, because she was
having a lot of hairballs. I filled bags and bags full of hair in about 2
weeks of combing her every day. Now she gets ****y and hisses at me when I
go to use it on her. Fortunately she has no claws. Probably associated to
why she's not too fond of being handled.

Anyway, I've tried giving her treats while trying to comb her or clean up
her behind, but that worked for about two minutes. I was very surprised
about that because she lives to eat. I don't groom her as often as I should
because she hates it so much.

"ensoul" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>A certain area that is....I have two brothers, both long hairs, they
> tolerate their dailey brushing and since they are long hairs when they
> use the litter box on occasion they get feces stuck in their fur
>
> They do not tolerate in any form me trying to get it off. I have tried
> a warm wash cloth thats soaked in a small amount of shampoo and cutting
> it off.
>
> It's enough of a problem that they stink horribly when it happens and
> it lasts for days. I don't want them licking it off, I would think
> that would make them very ill.
>
> I also use hairball ointment every 3 days since long hairs have more of
> a problem with that.
>
> ensoul
>

> There's beauty in the silver singing river, There's beauty in the
> sunrise in the sky, But none of these and nothing else can match the
> beauty, That I remember in my true love's eyes ~Bob Dylan

pokerchimp
December 12th 06, 05:49 PM
OK, now that I posted my long post, I see the solution to my problem was
already written about in the thread. Duh, why didn't I think of that. My
first cat.

oups.com...