PDA

View Full Version : cat wound

bob
December 10th 06, 11:10 PM
I have an outdoor semi-feral cat 3yrs old. She has gashes/wounds around her
tail, one on each hind hip, about a quarter in size. Happened about a week
ago, and I'm concerned that she has an infection. She eats, but seems a
little lethargic compared to normal.

Ideas what might've happened?
Is there an animal that characteristically would attack her there?

bob

Cheryl
December 10th 06, 11:39 PM
On Sun 10 Dec 2006 05:10:52p, bob wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> I have an outdoor semi-feral cat 3yrs old. She has gashes/wounds
> around her tail, one on each hind hip, about a quarter in size.
> Happened about a week ago, and I'm concerned that she has an
> infection. She eats, but seems a little lethargic compared to
> normal.
>
> Ideas what might've happened?
> Is there an animal that characteristically would attack her
> there?
>
> bob

Cats will attack cats that way. I see it in mine, even just in
play. How friendly is your semi-feral? Are you able to capture her
to take her to the vet? She really need to get cleaned up, and
maybe be on an antibiotic. I have a semi-feral cat, and both of
those prospects are hard to think about, because she is still very
wild and will not be allowed to be caught for pilling or trips to
the vet. When it's time to take her, it's very stressful for both
of us.

--
Cheryl

bob
December 11th 06, 01:50 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Sun 10 Dec 2006 05:10:52p, bob wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> >:
>
>> I have an outdoor semi-feral cat 3yrs old. She has gashes/wounds
>> around her tail, one on each hind hip, about a quarter in size.
>> Happened about a week ago, and I'm concerned that she has an
>> infection. She eats, but seems a little lethargic compared to
>> normal.
>>
>> Ideas what might've happened?
>> Is there an animal that characteristically would attack her
>> there?
>>
>> bob
>>

> Cats will attack cats that way. I see it in mine, even just in
> play. How friendly is your semi-feral? Are you able to capture her
> to take her to the vet?

she's 3 yrs old, until 4 days ago when she received this wound, she was like
a housecat- picked her up every day, she was very affectionate (i'd have her
in the house except i have a 16yr old housecat)...but SINCE the wound, she's
afraid- she'll stand 3 ft from me while i put the food down.

> She really need to get cleaned up, and
> maybe be on an antibiotic. I have a semi-feral cat, and both of
> those prospects are hard to think about, because she is still very
> wild and will not be allowed to be caught for pilling or trips to
> the vet. When it's time to take her, it's very stressful for both
> of us.

will she need to be on an anbitiotic for a while, or do you think that the
vet can give a strong dose of it? I don't think that after catching her and
bringing to the vet (perhaps tomorrow) that she'll come close enough for a
while to pick up.......

bob

Lynne
December 11th 06, 01:55 AM
on Mon, 11 Dec 2006 00:50:52 GMT, "bob" > wrote:

> will she need to be on an anbitiotic for a while, or do you think
> that the vet can give a strong dose of it? I don't think that after
> catching her and bringing to the vet (perhaps tomorrow) that she'll
> come close enough for a while to pick up.......

the vet may be able to give a long acting shot of antibiotic. Be sure to
ask for this.

--
Lynne

bob
December 11th 06, 02:00 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Mon, 11 Dec 2006 00:50:52 GMT, "bob" > wrote:
>
>> will she need to be on an anbitiotic for a while, or do you think
>> that the vet can give a strong dose of it? I don't think that after
>> catching her and bringing to the vet (perhaps tomorrow) that she'll
>> come close enough for a while to pick up.......
>
> the vet may be able to give a long acting shot of antibiotic. Be sure to
> ask for this.

it's a shame because she was extremely friendly til 3 days ago, like a
friendly housecat..i was thinking that either another cat or a raccoon did
it, but she's afraid of me now so then i was thinking a person might've done
something, but that'd be difficult IMO.

bob

Buddy's Mom
December 11th 06, 02:23 AM
When they are in pain, they are more skeptical. Please take her to a
vet tomorrow for antibiotics before she dies. Get a live trap if you
have to. Just get her to the vet.

bob wrote:
> "Lynne" > wrote in message
> m...
> > on Mon, 11 Dec 2006 00:50:52 GMT, "bob" > wrote:
> >
> >> will she need to be on an anbitiotic for a while, or do you think
> >> that the vet can give a strong dose of it? I don't think that after
> >> catching her and bringing to the vet (perhaps tomorrow) that she'll
> >> come close enough for a while to pick up.......
> >
> > the vet may be able to give a long acting shot of antibiotic. Be sure to
> > ask for this.
>
> it's a shame because she was extremely friendly til 3 days ago, like a
> friendly housecat..i was thinking that either another cat or a raccoon did
> it, but she's afraid of me now so then i was thinking a person might've done
> something, but that'd be difficult IMO.
>
> bob

Lynne
December 11th 06, 02:26 AM
on Mon, 11 Dec 2006 01:00:50 GMT, "bob" > wrote:

> it's a shame because she was extremely friendly til 3 days ago, like a
> friendly housecat..i was thinking that either another cat or a raccoon
> did it, but she's afraid of me now so then i was thinking a person
> might've done something, but that'd be difficult IMO.

she is probably in pain, which would explain her behavior. Have some soft
treats for her and give her small pieces of them on the way to and from the
vet's office. Consider setting up a room of her own after she sees the
vet, with food, water and a clean litter pan. Being warm and dry and safe
will help her heal, and she may come around to being friendly and trusting
again if you are patient with her.

--
Lynne

Cheryl
December 11th 06, 02:29 AM
On Sun 10 Dec 2006 08:00:50p, bob wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> it's a shame because she was extremely friendly til 3 days ago,
> like a friendly housecat..i was thinking that either another cat
> or a raccoon did it, but she's afraid of me now so then i was
> thinking a person might've done something, but that'd be
> difficult IMO.

I agree with Lynne's assessment, that your vet can administer a
long-acting antibiotic via syringe. But I haven't been offered that
with my semi-feral. You might think that these interactions will
cause even more of a barrier between you, but I think they break
down the wall. I've had my semi-feral in my house for 3 years now
(almost). With each interaction, or yearly vet visit captures, or
even with people coming in my house that she's not used to, it is a
shorter and shorter time that she comes out of hiding.

If you have to do antibiotics, try mixing it with baby food (meat,
no onion) and hand feed it to her on a spoon or popcicle stick.

--
Cheryl

Rhonda
December 11th 06, 03:11 AM
bob wrote:
> will she need to be on an anbitiotic for a while, or do you think that the
> vet can give a strong dose of it? I don't think that after catching her and
> bringing to the vet (perhaps tomorrow) that she'll come close enough for a
> while to pick up.......

Bob, talk to the vet about your cat's situation and giving medicine. She
may have to be on a course for 10 days or so and you'll need a plan.

We have a semi-feral who needed antibiotics not long after he arrived.
Trying to get a pill down him was tearing both of us apart. The vet
suggested a liquid antibiotic that is compounded into a meat flavor.
Some pharmacies do that for pets. The chicken gravy flavor mixed in with
chicken wet food worked like a charm!

If it has to be a pill, there is something called Pill Pockets at
PetSmart or Petco. It's a soft cat treat with a hole in the middle. You
stick in the pill and mold the treat around it. It worked on our cat
about 2 times, but then he figured it out. It works better on some cats.

Good luck tomorrow,

Rhonda

Lulu
December 12th 06, 05:07 AM
Hi Bob,
So sorry to hear your cat was injured. The injury sounds as if she was
chased, caught from behind and possibly
pinned down at the haunches but was able to struggle free. My cat
escaped a coyote attack in a new subdivision
where we had just moved into a newly built home. A large dog could do
the same thing. My cat had tears through her skin so that flaps of
skin showed the flesh bare underneath. They were about a quarter in
size as you described.
Your cat will be lethargic because she is bruised and sore. Does the
cat have a fever? You can tell easily if her head is hot and she won't
eat or drink. If no fever there is no infection. If the wounds are
healing on their own, there is no pus and no fever, your beautiful
creature will recover with some peace, quiet, dimly lit room, and TLC.
If you have the funds, I would take her to the vet to rule out internal
injuries with Xray. Other than that just trust in Nature's ability to
heal her own.
All the best,
Lu

On Dec 10, 3:10 pm, "bob" > wrote:
> I have an outdoor semi-feral cat 3yrs old. She has gashes/wounds around her
> tail, one on each hind hip, about a quarter in size. Happened about a week
> ago, and I'm concerned that she has an infection. She eats, but seems a
> little lethargic compared to normal.
>
> Ideas what might've happened?
> Is there an animal that characteristically would attack her there?
>
> bob

bob
December 13th 06, 03:12 AM
"Lulu" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Hi Bob,
> So sorry to hear your cat was injured. The injury sounds as if she was
> chased, caught from behind and possibly
> pinned down at the haunches but was able to struggle free. My cat
> escaped a coyote attack in a new subdivision
> where we had just moved into a newly built home. A large dog could do
> the same thing. My cat had tears through her skin so that flaps of
> skin showed the flesh bare underneath. They were about a quarter in
> size as you described.

Lulu, thank you for the info.

> Your cat will be lethargic because she is bruised and sore.

When I say "lethargic" she's not very lethargic, just slightly compared to
her normal playful self. And she seems much better Mon/Tues. I'm closely
watching her.

> Does the cat have a fever? You can tell easily if her head is hot and
> she won't
> eat or drink.

She eats and drinks plenty, not a problem. She'll now let me pet her again,
she doesn't feel any warmer than my housecat. I don't believe she has
infection/fever. I believe she's just recovering from the trauma of the
incident. I'm suspicious of 1 of 3 things as the cause: (1) another cat (2)
raccoon (3) big dog. (there is a refuge behind my unit with a few raccoons).

> If no fever there is no infection. If the wounds are
> healing on their own, there is no pus and no fever, your beautiful
> creature will recover with some peace, quiet, dimly lit room, and TLC.
> If you have the funds, I would take her to the vet to rule out internal
> injuries with Xray. Other than that just trust in Nature's ability to
> heal her own.

I have the funds to take her to the vet, just dont' want to do it if she's
ok. If she shows any sign at all of problems, I will take her in. She's 3yr
old and has 2 siblings (1female, 1male) that she sleeps with on a pet
carrier on my patio all her life, she sleeps with them last 3 nights as
usual, lets me pet her again. I'm thinking she's fine.......

bob

-L.
December 13th 06, 10:59 AM
bob wrote:

> She eats and drinks plenty, not a problem. She'll now let me pet her again,
> she doesn't feel any warmer than my housecat. I don't believe she has
> infection/fever. I believe she's just recovering from the trauma of the
> incident. I'm suspicious of 1 of 3 things as the cause: (1) another cat (2)
> raccoon (3) big dog. (there is a refuge behind my unit with a few raccoons).

Cats will bite other cats in the spine near the tail because it's an
easy way to induce systemic infection and kill the other cat. Most
likely, she was fighing another cat for territory.

> I have the funds to take her to the vet, just dont' want to do it if she's
> ok. If she shows any sign at all of problems, I will take her in. She's 3yr
> old and has 2 siblings (1female, 1male) that she sleeps with on a pet
> carrier on my patio all her life, she sleeps with them last 3 nights as
> usual, lets me pet her again. I'm thinking she's fine.......

Cats are stoic by nature and will hide their illness. Keep a close eye
on the wounds - most cat wounds are infected by anerobic bacteria
(those not requiring oxygen) so the bacteria will continue to eat away
at the tissue long after the wound is healed over - an abscess under
the skin results and it can easily become systemic. If it were me, I
would take the cat in to the vet for a shot of antibiotic and pick up
some Amoxicillin tabs to mix in canned food for her. Cat bites are
serious and infect easily. If you decide not to take her in, look for
hair loss in a circular pattern around the wound. It may or may not
turn red and/or swell. Any seeping bite wound can be cleaned once (and
only once) with peroxide, but should be treated by a vet asap.

-L.

bob
December 14th 06, 02:02 AM
"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...

> bob wrote:
>>
>> She eats and drinks plenty, not a problem. She'll now let me pet her
>> again,
>> she doesn't feel any warmer than my housecat. I don't believe she has
>> infection/fever. I believe she's just recovering from the trauma of the
>> incident. I'm suspicious of 1 of 3 things as the cause: (1) another cat
>> (2)
>> raccoon (3) big dog. (there is a refuge behind my unit with a few
>> raccoons).
>
> Cats will bite other cats in the spine near the tail because it's an
> easy way to induce systemic infection and kill the other cat. Most
> likely, she was fighing another cat for territory.

this sounds like it might be it.

>> I have the funds to take her to the vet, just dont' want to do it if
>> she's
>> ok. If she shows any sign at all of problems, I will take her in. She's
>> 3yr
>> old and has 2 siblings (1female, 1male) that she sleeps with on a pet
>> carrier on my patio all her life, she sleeps with them last 3 nights as
>> usual, lets me pet her again. I'm thinking she's fine.......
>
> Cats are stoic by nature and will hide their illness. Keep a close eye
> on the wounds - most cat wounds are infected by anerobic bacteria
> (those not requiring oxygen) so the bacteria will continue to eat away
> at the tissue long after the wound is healed over - an abscess under
> the skin results and it can easily become systemic. If it were me, I
> would take the cat in to the vet for a shot of antibiotic and pick up
> some Amoxicillin tabs to mix in canned food for her. Cat bites are
> serious and infect easily. If you decide not to take her in, look for
> hair loss in a circular pattern around the wound. It may or may not
> turn red and/or swell. Any seeping bite wound can be cleaned once (and
> only once) with peroxide, but should be treated by a vet asap.

i'm going to take a good look at the wound tonight. she doesn't feel like
she has a fever though, doesn't feel warmer than her siblings or my
housecat. it happened 8 days ago. would this be relevant? also she eats
normally and doesn't appear to have a health problem at the moment..

bob

-L.
December 14th 06, 02:30 AM
bob wrote:

> i'm going to take a good look at the wound tonight. she doesn't feel like
> she has a fever though, doesn't feel warmer than her siblings or my
> housecat. it happened 8 days ago. would this be relevant? also she eats
> normally and doesn't appear to have a health problem at the moment..
>
> bob

If she ran a fever she would probably act sick - hide and sleep,
mostly. The look of the wounds is important.

-L.

bob
December 15th 06, 03:46 AM
"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...

> bob wrote:
>>
>> i'm going to take a good look at the wound tonight. she doesn't feel like
>> she has a fever though, doesn't feel warmer than her siblings or my
>> housecat. it happened 8 days ago. would this be relevant? also she eats
>> normally and doesn't appear to have a health problem at the moment..
>>
>> bob
>
> If she ran a fever she would probably act sick - hide and sleep,
> mostly. The look of the wounds is important.

took her to the vet today. he said it was abscessed and a "little infected"
but not too bad. he gave her a shot and gave her an antibiotic pill to give
for a week, he thought it would heal up ok but wants to see her in a week.
now I'm glad I took her in.

bob

Rhonda
December 15th 06, 04:33 AM
bob wrote:
> "-L." > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
>>bob wrote:
>>
>>>i'm going to take a good look at the wound tonight. she doesn't feel like
>>>she has a fever though, doesn't feel warmer than her siblings or my
>>>housecat. it happened 8 days ago. would this be relevant? also she eats
>>>normally and doesn't appear to have a health problem at the moment..
>>>
>>>bob
>>
>>If she ran a fever she would probably act sick - hide and sleep,
>>mostly. The look of the wounds is important.
>

> took her to the vet today. he said it was abscessed and a "little infected"
> but not too bad. he gave her a shot and gave her an antibiotic pill to give
> for a week, he thought it would heal up ok but wants to see her in a week.
> now I'm glad I took her in.

Good for you! I'm glad you took her in, too, since it sounds like it
could have gotten worse.

Good luck with the pills!

Rhonda

-L.
December 15th 06, 06:49 AM
bob wrote:

> took her to the vet today. he said it was abscessed and a "little infected"
> but not too bad. he gave her a shot and gave her an antibiotic pill to give
> for a week, he thought it would heal up ok but wants to see her in a week.
> now I'm glad I took her in.
>
> bob

Good for you! I hope she heals up quickly.

-L.

bob
December 16th 06, 04:37 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> bob wrote:
>> "-L." > wrote in message
>> ups.com...

>>>If she ran a fever she would probably act sick - hide and sleep,
>>>mostly. The look of the wounds is important.
>>

>> took her to the vet today. he said it was abscessed and a "little
>> infected" but not too bad. he gave her a shot and gave her an antibiotic
>> pill to give for a week, he thought it would heal up ok but wants to see
>> her in a week. now I'm glad I took her in.
>
> Good for you! I'm glad you took her in, too, since it sounds like it could
> have gotten worse.
>
> Good luck with the pills!

i crush the pills and stick it in soft food- she gobbles it right up.
fingers crossed, so far, so good.

bob