PDA

View Full Version : Best insurance for cats?

msflyingpiggy
December 11th 06, 01:30 AM
I am new at owning cats. I've read some brochure about animal
insurance. Is it necessary to buy them for your pets? or it is
something that you can do without...and just pay as you visit the vet?

Cheryl
December 11th 06, 01:49 AM
On Sun 10 Dec 2006 07:30:08p, msflyingpiggy wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ups.com>:

> I am new at owning cats. I've read some brochure about animal
> insurance. Is it necessary to buy them for your pets? or it is
> something that you can do without...and just pay as you visit
> the vet?

My experience as a pet caretaker for cats with health problems
before having insurance, and after, is that I dropped the insurance
after my first chance for a pay-out.

In a period of about 3 years, I spent over $5,000 on two cats
without insurance. When they both passed away, I had all young
cats. I thought it would be worth it to insure my the one who
already had health problems, but his pre-existing conditions
(allergies) wouldn't be covered. He had an injury from one of my
other cats (a torn eye with an infection, just during play) and out
of about $150 worth of meds, vet visits, and tests, the insurance
paid about $15. (US) That told me that the premiums would never
be worth more than just putting the money into a bank account.

I think the best insurance policy is to create a bank account that
is just for emergency or serious care. Don't use it for routine
visits, and deposit at least $20 per month if you can afford to.

--
Cheryl

Lynne
December 11th 06, 01:54 AM
on Mon, 11 Dec 2006 00:49:14 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

> I think the best insurance policy is to create a bank account that
> is just for emergency or serious care. Don't use it for routine
> visits, and deposit at least $20 per month if you can afford to.

I agree with this advice. Pet insurance is notoriously stingy in payouts.
You're better off insuring them yourself with a bank account as suggested.

--
Lynne

Rene S.
December 13th 06, 07:48 PM
> In a period of about 3 years, I spent over $5,000 on two cats
> without insurance. When they both passed away, I had all young
> cats. I thought it would be worth it to insure my the one who
> already had health problems, but his pre-existing conditions
> (allergies) wouldn't be covered. He had an injury from one of my
> other cats (a torn eye with an infection, just during play) and out
> of about $150 worth of meds, vet visits, and tests, the insurance
> paid about $15. (US) That told me that the premiums would never
> be worth more than just putting the money into a bank account.
>
> I think the best insurance policy is to create a bank account that
> is just for emergency or serious care. Don't use it for routine
> visits, and deposit at least $20 per month if you can afford to.
>
> --
> Cheryl

Cheryl,

This is interesting to know. I've never had pet insurance but with the
medical problems one of my cats has had so far, I wondered if I should
have gotten it when he was a kitten.

I now have a bank account set up just for the cats. $20 a week goes in
via direct deposit, and I use the account for both routine and
emergency visits, but not for other items (food, pet sitter, litter,
etc.)

December 14th 06, 02:41 AM
Cheryl > wrote in news:[email protected]
130.133.1.4:

> On Sun 10 Dec 2006 07:30:08p, msflyingpiggy wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> ups.com>:
>
>> I am new at owning cats. I've read some brochure about animal
>> insurance. Is it necessary to buy them for your pets? or it is
>> something that you can do without...and just pay as you visit
>> the vet?
>>

> My experience as a pet caretaker for cats with health problems
> before having insurance, and after, is that I dropped the insurance
> after my first chance for a pay-out.
>
> In a period of about 3 years, I spent over $5,000 on two cats
> without insurance. When they both passed away, I had all young
> cats. I thought it would be worth it to insure my the one who
> already had health problems, but his pre-existing conditions
> (allergies) wouldn't be covered. He had an injury from one of my
> other cats (a torn eye with an infection, just during play) and out
> of about $150 worth of meds, vet visits, and tests, the insurance
> paid about $15. (US) That told me that the premiums would never
> be worth more than just putting the money into a bank account.
>
> I think the best insurance policy is to create a bank account that
> is just for emergency or serious care. Don't use it for routine
> visits, and deposit at least $20 per month if you can afford to.

I completely agree with you. I started with VPI and also didn't bother
to submit the first bill, thinking that if the vet I used at the time was
incorrect, the cat would have a pre-existing condition that might
preclude other coverage.

At first it looks great because it covers a once a year checkup and blood
test. After you see what the animal has to go through for a blood test,
it's the last time you'll ever think of doing it once a year.

You're better off putting that money in a fund (approx $400?) for the
animal each year and spending it as necessary.

Cheryl
December 15th 06, 02:07 AM
On Wed 13 Dec 2006 01:48:50p, Rene S. wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ups.com>:

> This is interesting to know. I've never had pet insurance but
> with the medical problems one of my cats has had so far, I
> wondered if I should have gotten it when he was a kitten.

I wouldn't. If you think about it, the most expensive time of a cats
life is when it's elderly. By that time you've paid how much in
monthly premiums? Just something to think about.

> I now have a bank account set up just for the cats. $20 a week
> goes in via direct deposit, and I use the account for both
> routine and emergency visits, but not for other items (food, pet
> sitter, litter, etc.)

Very good plan. :)

--
Cheryl

IBen Getiner
December 17th 06, 07:11 AM
msflyingpiggy wrote:
> I am new at owning cats. I've read some brochure about animal
> insurance. Is it necessary to buy them for your pets?
> or it is
> something that you can do without...and just pay as you visit the vet?

It's not necessary now. But if enough azzholes like you cave in, it
will be.

IBen Getiner