PDA

View Full Version : Cat Cries when he Throws Up

IDzine01
December 11th 06, 02:58 PM
My poor little kitty threw up this morning just before I had to leave
for work. Vomited all his breakfast and then dry-heaved afterward.
Unlike other cats I have had, he isn't much of a puker. This is only
the second time he has thrown up in a year and a half. The thing I
worry about is that this time (and the last time) he threw up he let
out a loud howl (like he's crying) before. I feel terrible because I
worry his stomach is in pain. After he was done his eyes were all
watery and he was scoping out the plants for something to chew on.
(Which of course I put away) I feel bad that I didn't have any cat
grass to settle his stomach.

Does anyone else here have a cat that cries when they throw up? Should
I pick him up some cat grass after work, or is it better to do without?

Thanks,
Christie

Rene S.
December 11th 06, 04:03 PM
IDzine01 wrote:
> My poor little kitty threw up this morning just before I had to leave
> for work. Vomited all his breakfast and then dry-heaved afterward.
> Unlike other cats I have had, he isn't much of a puker. This is only
> the second time he has thrown up in a year and a half. The thing I
> worry about is that this time (and the last time) he threw up he let
> out a loud howl (like he's crying) before. I feel terrible because I
> worry his stomach is in pain. After he was done his eyes were all
> watery and he was scoping out the plants for something to chew on.
> (Which of course I put away) I feel bad that I didn't have any cat
> grass to settle his stomach.
>
> Does anyone else here have a cat that cries when they throw up? Should
> I pick him up some cat grass after work, or is it better to do without?
>
> Thanks,
> Christie

I would give your vet a call today and see what they say. The trouble
with vomiting is that it can mean so many things in cats, from
hairballs to something more serious. One of my cats never vomits so
when he does, I know something is wrong. Best to be safe and check it
out.

Rene

cybercat
December 11th 06, 04:36 PM
"IDzine01" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My poor little kitty threw up this morning just before I had to leave
> for work. Vomited all his breakfast and then dry-heaved afterward.
> Unlike other cats I have had, he isn't much of a puker. This is only
> the second time he has thrown up in a year and a half. The thing I
> worry about is that this time (and the last time) he threw up he let
> out a loud howl (like he's crying) before. I feel terrible because I
> worry his stomach is in pain. After he was done his eyes were all
> watery and he was scoping out the plants for something to chew on.
> (Which of course I put away) I feel bad that I didn't have any cat
> grass to settle his stomach.
>
> Does anyone else here have a cat that cries when they throw up? Should
> I pick him up some cat grass after work, or is it better to do without?

Are you ever sick to your stomach? If so, you know that feeling you
have, where you feel so bad you are about to beg for death? The
feeling just before throwing up, for me, is the worst thing ever. I am
something of an expert on this too, because I believe I spent half of
my childhood throwing up. (And the other half having ear aches!)

Yes, my cat sometimes lets out a soulful, very hard to listen to howl
before she hurls.

Meanwhile, kitty may have been looking at the plants because he
munched on them and that is what made him throw up. I had to take
one cat to the vet she threw up so much in an hour's time, and I found
out it was from a plant she was eating.

MoMo via CatKB.com
December 11th 06, 04:42 PM
Neither of my cats throw up often either, but when they do, they let out a
deep cry right before and there has never been anything wrong. I think it
almost a "hey, this really sucks" kind of reaction.

IDzine01 wrote:
>My poor little kitty threw up this morning just before I had to leave
>for work. Vomited all his breakfast and then dry-heaved afterward.
>Unlike other cats I have had, he isn't much of a puker. This is only
>the second time he has thrown up in a year and a half. The thing I
>worry about is that this time (and the last time) he threw up he let
>out a loud howl (like he's crying) before. I feel terrible because I
>worry his stomach is in pain. After he was done his eyes were all
>watery and he was scoping out the plants for something to chew on.
>(Which of course I put away) I feel bad that I didn't have any cat
>grass to settle his stomach.
>
>Does anyone else here have a cat that cries when they throw up? Should
>I pick him up some cat grass after work, or is it better to do without?
>
>Thanks,
>Christie

IDzine01
December 11th 06, 04:52 PM
It sure IS hard to listen too. It's just the saddest thing... and ya
know, with all the kitty throw up I have contended with in my life, he
is the only one that has ever made a peep about it. Coincidentally, he
is the only male cat I have ever had in my life too. Maybe it's a
universal truth that boys are just bigger babies.

.... I joke, but really, I hope he's feeling better. If he is at all out
of sorts when I return home we will make a vet appointment. He was
acting very happy and affectionate before breakfast so I hope it was
just the food that didn't agree.

MoMo via CatKB.com wrote:
> Neither of my cats throw up often either, but when they do, they let out a
> deep cry right before and there has never been anything wrong. I think it
> almost a "hey, this really sucks" kind of reaction.

cybercat
December 11th 06, 05:07 PM
"IDzine01" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> It sure IS hard to listen too. It's just the saddest thing... and ya
> know, with all the kitty throw up I have contended with in my life, he
> is the only one that has ever made a peep about it. Coincidentally, he
> is the only male cat I have ever had in my life too. Maybe it's a
> universal truth that boys are just bigger babies.
>
> ... I joke, but really, I hope he's feeling better. If he is at all out
> of sorts when I return home we will make a vet appointment. He was
> acting very happy and affectionate before breakfast so I hope it was
> just the food that didn't agree.

Yes, I hope he will be better today. My little girl who does it is very
spoiled. I can just about hear her going, "MAAAAmAAAAA! I
don't FEEEEELLLL GOOOOOD!"

Check those house plants for nibbles, and look up the varieties that
are poisonous to cats.

mariib via CatKB.com
December 11th 06, 05:43 PM
IDzine01 wrote:
>My poor little kitty threw up this morning just before I had to leave
>for work. Vomited all his breakfast and then dry-heaved afterward.
>Unlike other cats I have had, he isn't much of a puker. This is only
>the second time he has thrown up in a year and a half. The thing I
>worry about is that this time (and the last time) he threw up he let
>out a loud howl (like he's crying) before. I feel terrible because I
>worry his stomach is in pain. After he was done his eyes were all
>watery and he was scoping out the plants for something to chew on.
>(Which of course I put away) I feel bad that I didn't have any cat
>grass to settle his stomach.
>
>Does anyone else here have a cat that cries when they throw up? Should
>I pick him up some cat grass after work, or is it better to do without?
>
>Thanks,
>Christie

Only one of all the cats I've ever had does this & it's my young black &
white male - he throws up from time to time & lets out a very loud d-e-e-p
howl beforehand. It's alarming but passes quickly. His name is Little Devil -
he's not little at all now, but he got his name because of his personality &
behavior - he's always into things & places he shouldn't be & eats anything &
everything he finds - mushrooms, tomatoes, bread, plastic - you name it,
he'll eat it.

I wouldn't worry about your kitty unless he doesn't look good when you get
home & the vomiting continues.
M.

Eva Quesnell
December 11th 06, 07:51 PM
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, MoMo via CatKB.com wrote:

> Neither of my cats throw up often either, but when they do, they let out a
> deep cry right before and there has never been anything wrong. I think it
> almost a "hey, this really sucks" kind of reaction.

Yes, my little black kitty says "anya" right before she hurls.

Eva

> IDzine01 wrote:
>> My poor little kitty threw up this morning just before I had to leave
>> for work. Vomited all his breakfast and then dry-heaved afterward.
>> Unlike other cats I have had, he isn't much of a puker. This is only
>> the second time he has thrown up in a year and a half. The thing I
>> worry about is that this time (and the last time) he threw up he let
>> out a loud howl (like he's crying) before. I feel terrible because I
>> worry his stomach is in pain. After he was done his eyes were all
>> watery and he was scoping out the plants for something to chew on.
>> (Which of course I put away) I feel bad that I didn't have any cat
>> grass to settle his stomach.
>>
>> Does anyone else here have a cat that cries when they throw up? Should
>> I pick him up some cat grass after work, or is it better to do without?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Christie

IDzine01
December 12th 06, 07:06 PM
Well, he turned out to be just fine. He didn't throw up any more after
I left (that I've seen) and was in good spirits when I returned,
purring, flipping over for belly rubs and stalking his favorite teddy
bear.

Thanks for your help.

cybercat
December 12th 06, 07:50 PM
"IDzine01" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Well, he turned out to be just fine. He didn't throw up any more after
> I left (that I've seen) and was in good spirits when I returned,
> purring, flipping over for belly rubs and stalking his favorite teddy
> bear.
>
> Thanks for your help.

I'm so glad he's fine! Did you take a look at your househplants to see if
they are nibbled?

Lynne
December 12th 06, 08:00 PM
on Tue, 12 Dec 2006 19:50:13 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> Did you take a look at your househplants to see if
> they are nibbled?

Levi killed every last one of my houseplants. Even my 2 cactus gardens!
The little **** dug them up.

One indoor plant that is fairly common and a known toxin to pets is the
Philodendron (aka Caladium). So are all Ivy plants. Mistletoe and
Pointsettias are toxic as well.

--
Lynne

IDzine01
December 12th 06, 09:31 PM
Yes, the Basil is the only plant he had access to and it wasn't
nibbled. He threw up minutes after eating breakfast so I wonder if that
had something to do with it. It's one flavor in a variety pack so maybe
there was something about it he didn't like. It is a brand I just
started buying. It was also the first day back on wet food after 4 days
straight of dry. I dunno, just throwin' options out there. Don't know
if I will ever know what caused it.

cybercat wrote:
> I'm so glad he's fine! Did you take a look at your househplants to see if
> they are nibbled?

cybercat
December 12th 06, 09:59 PM
"IDzine01" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Yes, the Basil is the only plant he had access to and it wasn't
> nibbled. He threw up minutes after eating breakfast so I wonder if that
> had something to do with it. It's one flavor in a variety pack so maybe
> there was something about it he didn't like. It is a brand I just
> started buying. It was also the first day back on wet food after 4 days
> straight of dry. I dunno, just throwin' options out there. Don't know
> if I will ever know what caused it.

Could just be hairballs. Maybe a little laxatone or laxaire would
help them get resolved the other way.

Brian Beuchaw
December 13th 06, 10:03 PM
IDzine01 > wrote:
> My poor little kitty threw up this morning just before I had to leave
> for work. Vomited all his breakfast and then dry-heaved afterward.
> Unlike other cats I have had, he isn't much of a puker. This is only
> the second time he has thrown up in a year and a half. The thing I
> worry about is that this time (and the last time) he threw up he let
> out a loud howl (like he's crying) before. I feel terrible because I
> worry his stomach is in pain. After he was done his eyes were all
> watery and he was scoping out the plants for something to chew on.
> (Which of course I put away) I feel bad that I didn't have any cat
> grass to settle his stomach.
>
> Does anyone else here have a cat that cries when they throw up? Should
> I pick him up some cat grass after work, or is it better to do without?

Not to scare the hell outta you, but it might be something you should
watch. One of our cats throws up about 3 times a week, never howls, but
you hear her heaving and hope you can get under her with a newspaper in
time. She's just got a sensitive stomach, I guess, been doing this for
years. OTOH, another one we had never threw up, ate like he'd never get
another meal all the time, but he started yowling, then barfing every so
often. Vet thought it was IBS, finally got more in-depth, and found out
it was a mast cell tumor, then lymphoma. Had a decent round of chemo, but
couldn't beat it, unfortunately. So as somebody else said, check with
your vet, and also keep watch in the future...

brian
--
If you want to reply to this message by mail, you will
have to change the reply address to