PDA

View Full Version : Do our pets admire art?

socraticquest
December 11th 06, 08:17 PM
Have there been studies to determine how dogs and cats admire art? Any
images available?

Thank-you

Opinicus
December 11th 06, 08:39 PM
"socraticquest" > wrote

> how dogs and cats admire art? Any

If TV is art then our cats adore it. Our dogs on the other hand couldn't
care less.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

shelly
December 11th 06, 09:07 PM
socraticquest wrote:
> Have there been studies to determine how dogs and cats admire art? Any
> images available?

I think you'd first have to determine whether or not they are
capable of feeling admiration.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)

socraticquest
December 11th 06, 10:30 PM
shelly wrote:
> socraticquest wrote:
> > Have there been studies to determine how dogs and cats admire art? Any
> > images available?
>
> I think you'd first have to determine whether or not they are
> capable of feeling admiration.
>
> --
> Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
> http://www.cat-sidh.net (the Mother Ship)
> http://esther.cat-sidh.net (Letters to Esther)

SEE LINK: BOOK -- 'Why Cats Paint"
http://www.amazon.com/Why-Cats-Paint-Theory-Aesthetics/dp/0898156122/sr=1-1/qid=1165872396/ref=sr_1_1/102-0598165-2823363?ie=UTF8&s=books

Tara
December 12th 06, 01:56 AM
"socraticquest" > wrote in
oups.com:

> shelly wrote:
>> socraticquest wrote:
>> > Have there been studies to determine how dogs and cats admire art?
>> > Any images available?
>>
>> I think you'd first have to determine whether or not they are
>> capable of feeling admiration.

> SEE LINK: BOOK -- 'Why Cats Paint"
> http://www.amazon.com/Why-Cats-Paint-Theory-Aesthetics/dp/0898156122/sr
> =1-1/qid=1165872396/ref=sr_1_1/102-0598165-2823363?ie=UTF8&s=books

I read that book quite a few years ago. Its a spoof.

Tara

shelly
December 12th 06, 12:16 PM
socraticquest wrote:
> shelly wrote:
>> socraticquest wrote:
>>> Have there been studies to determine how dogs and cats admire art? Any
>>> images available?
>> I think you'd first have to determine whether or not they are
>> capable of feeling admiration.
>
> SEE LINK: BOOK -- 'Why Cats Paint"
> http://www.amazon.com/Why-Cats-Paint-Theory-Aesthetics/dp/0898156122/sr=1-1/qid=1165872396/ref=sr_1_1/102-0598165-2823363?ie=UTF8&s=books

Yes, I've seen that book. But it in no way answers my question.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)

Spot
December 12th 06, 06:22 PM
My one cat loves to lay on the bed and watch TV shows with lots of action.
The motion catches her eye I guess.

Celeste

"Opinicus" > wrote in message
> "socraticquest" > wrote
>
>> how dogs and cats admire art? Any
>
> If TV is art then our cats adore it. Our dogs on the other hand couldn't
> care less.
>
> --
> Bob
> http://www.kanyak.com

oldhickory
December 12th 06, 07:10 PM
Cats do not admire art, they consider themselves art to be admired.

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

"shelly" > wrote in message
> socraticquest wrote:
>> shelly wrote:
>>> I think you'd first have to determine whether or not they are
>>> capable of feeling admiration.
>>
>> SEE LINK: BOOK -- 'Why Cats Paint"
>> http://www.amazon.com/Why-Cats-Paint-Theory-Aesthetics/dp/0898156122/sr=1-1/qid=1165872396/ref=sr_1_1/102-0598165-2823363?ie=UTF8&s=books
>
> Yes, I've seen that book. But it in no way answers my question.
>
> --
> Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
> http://www.cat-sidh.net (the Mother Ship)
> http://esther.cat-sidh.net (Letters to Esther)

shelly
December 12th 06, 07:15 PM
oldhickory wrote:
> Cats do not admire art, they consider themselves art to be admired.

O ick. And I mean that on several levels.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)

socraticquest
December 12th 06, 10:02 PM
Tara wrote:
> "socraticquest" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>

> > shelly wrote:
> >>
> >> I think you'd first have to determine whether or not they are
> >> capable of feeling admiration.
>
> > SEE LINK: BOOK -- 'Why Cats Paint"
> > http://www.amazon.com/Why-Cats-Paint-Theory-Aesthetics/dp/0898156122/sr
> > =1-1/qid=1165872396/ref=sr_1_1/102-0598165-2823363?ie=UTF8&s=books
> >

> I read that book quite a few years ago. Its a spoof.
>
> Tara

Believe it or not; public libraries have a subject classification
"Animals as Artists" under Dewey Decimal call numbers 741, 750, 599
(no, these don't all include books about elephants that paint). Why
Cats Paint had the call number 750.

Have there been any university studies attempting to discern what arts
pique our pets interests?

Tara
December 12th 06, 11:25 PM
"socraticquest" > wrote in
ups.com:

> Tara wrote:
>> "socraticquest" > wrote in
>> oups.com:

>> > SEE LINK: BOOK -- 'Why Cats Paint"
>> > http://www.amazon.com/Why-Cats-Paint-Theory-
Aesthetics/dp/0898156122
>> > /sr
>> > =1-1/qid=1165872396/ref=sr_1_1/102-0598165-2823363?ie=UTF8&s=books
>> >

>> I read that book quite a few years ago. Its a spoof.
>>
>> Tara
>
> Believe it or not; public libraries have a subject classification
> "Animals as Artists" under Dewey Decimal call numbers 741, 750, 599
> (no, these don't all include books about elephants that paint). Why
> Cats Paint had the call number 750.

And? So the librarians don't have much of a sense of humor. Where's the
news (No, shelly, I wasn't talking about YOU :-)

> Have there been any university studies attempting to discern what arts
> pique our pets interests?

I have no idea. Frankly, my pets have better things to do with their
time and focus, so I haven't really bothered.

Tara

shelly
December 13th 06, 12:15 PM
socraticquest wrote:

> Believe it or not; public libraries have a subject classification
> "Animals as Artists" under Dewey Decimal call numbers 741, 750, 599
> (no, these don't all include books about elephants that paint). Why
> Cats Paint had the call number 750.

Please *do* tell me more about this "subject classification" of
which you speak!

> Have there been any university studies attempting to discern what arts
> pique our pets interests?

I think the arts of killing, food preparation, and dining are
probably well represented. Some might consider comedy to be a form
of art, and there are certain members of the animal kingdom that
excel in that area.

It strikes me that another problem with your thesis is that you have
yet to define "art." Good luck with that!

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)

socraticquest
December 13th 06, 09:01 PM
shelly wrote:
> socraticquest wrote:
>
> > Believe it or not; public libraries have a subject classification
> > "Animals as Artists" under Dewey Decimal call numbers 741, 750, 599
> > (no, these don't all include books about elephants that paint). Why
> > Cats Paint had the call number 750.
>
> Please *do* tell me more about this "subject classification" of
> which you speak!

The main subject classes are 'Cats--Behavior' OR 'Dogs--Behavior' See
university studies, and publications of interest to 'pet
psychologists!'

> > Have there been any university studies attempting to discern what arts
> > pique our pets interests?
>
> I think the arts of killing, food preparation, and dining are
> probably well represented. Some might consider comedy to be a form
> of art, and there are certain members of the animal kingdom that
> excel in that area.
>
> It strikes me that another problem with your thesis is that you have
> yet to define "art." Good luck with that!

Yes, dictionaries do attempt to define the meaning of the word art:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art

Okay, enough said!

> --
> Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
> http://www.cat-sidh.net (the Mother Ship)
> http://esther.cat-sidh.net (Letters to Esther)

Kathleen
December 13th 06, 09:34 PM
oldhickory wrote:

> Cats do not admire art, they consider themselves art to be admired.

I know that whenever I encounter anybody (human or not) with that
attitude, my first thought is, "Now there's a real piece of work".

Kathleen

shelly
December 14th 06, 12:28 PM
socraticquest wrote:

> The main subject classes are 'Cats--Behavior' OR 'Dogs--Behavior'

No way!

> See university studies, and publications of interest to 'pet
> psychologists!'

I'm not sure what a "pet psychologist" *is*, so I'm not about to
guess what sorts of publications might be of interest to one.
Googling indicates that there is a dearth of accredited institutions
offering degrees in the field.

> Yes, dictionaries do attempt to define the meaning of the word art:

Yes, dictionaries are pathological that way. And, while Wikipedia
(not a dictionary, by the way) has its uses, as scholarly source
material goes, it's pretty crap.

> Okay, enough said!

That you think so is kind of sad. It's a question that one could
spend a lifetime exploring and still never come up with a
satisfactory answer.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)