PDA

View Full Version : Tiger the nurotic

Stormmee
December 12th 06, 05:02 PM
As I said we live in a small town. We often sit on our patio and drink
coffee and smoke a few cigarettes while discussing the world. In late
spring DH noticed a large yellow cat who was obviously a male, and Knew he
was THE manliest cat around. DH giggled as this mancat had on a pink
collar. He meowed as he went by but didn't get too close... Time passes and
it is the beginning of June. It is blisteringly hot by any standards, over
100 f for several days, which is unusual for this area. It turned out to be
the only two weeks of hot weather all summer.

We were once again sitting on the back porch. drinking coffee and discussing
the world.. When the cat with the collar, this time without the collar came
up to us, he was miserably thin, and obviously starving. DH got a can of
food. Tiger as we had named him earlier that spring hoovered the entire can
and DH got another one, which he also hoovered. I said to DH his people
don't take care of him, his collar is gone and if he is going to eat us out
of house and home we may as well keep him in ours... the rest is history.
He weighed just under seven pounds when he came to us and was already grown,
I am guessing around four years old. He had no hideous diseases, got
neutered and got introduced to the other three, and Violette abused him
mercilessly for the longest time. He and her eventually became almost
friends and life was again peaceful... He is still the same frame size and
now weighs just around 15 pounds, which is just about a half pound too much
according to the vet. When I think back at how malnourished he was I truly
shudder...

and now for the rest of the story... in late fall we were once again on the
patio. doing the usual when DH says... Is Tiger in the bedroom? I say yes.
He says you aren't going to believe this but the Tiger you have isn't the
Tiger you thought you have... What? The tiger with the collar is currently
crossing the back yard and is identical to the one in the bedroom... Tiger
BTW is neurotic because of being starved and has EBS, Lee

Pat
December 12th 06, 05:32 PM
You got fooled by two tigers! What a great story!

"Stormmee" > wrote

> As I said we live in a small town. We often sit on our patio and drink
> coffee and smoke a few cigarettes while discussing the world. In late
> spring DH noticed a large yellow cat who was obviously a male, and Knew he
> was THE manliest cat around. DH giggled as this mancat had on a pink
> collar. He meowed as he went by but didn't get too close... Time passes
> and
> it is the beginning of June. It is blisteringly hot by any standards,
> over
> 100 f for several days, which is unusual for this area. It turned out to
> be
> the only two weeks of hot weather all summer.
>
> We were once again sitting on the back porch. drinking coffee and
> discussing
> the world.. When the cat with the collar, this time without the collar
> came
> up to us, he was miserably thin, and obviously starving. DH got a can of
> food. Tiger as we had named him earlier that spring hoovered the entire
> can
> and DH got another one, which he also hoovered. I said to DH his people
> don't take care of him, his collar is gone and if he is going to eat us
> out
> of house and home we may as well keep him in ours... the rest is history.
> He weighed just under seven pounds when he came to us and was already
> grown,
> I am guessing around four years old. He had no hideous diseases, got
> neutered and got introduced to the other three, and Violette abused him
> mercilessly for the longest time. He and her eventually became almost
> friends and life was again peaceful... He is still the same frame size and
> now weighs just around 15 pounds, which is just about a half pound too
> much
> according to the vet. When I think back at how malnourished he was I
> truly
> shudder...
>
> and now for the rest of the story... in late fall we were once again on
> the
> patio. doing the usual when DH says... Is Tiger in the bedroom? I say
> yes.
> He says you aren't going to believe this but the Tiger you have isn't the
> Tiger you thought you have... What? The tiger with the collar is
> currently
> crossing the back yard and is identical to the one in the bedroom... Tiger
> BTW is neurotic because of being starved and has EBS, Lee

Stormmee
December 12th 06, 05:42 PM
and Dh was really freaked as he said from a distance they really were
identical... fast forward to last winter when we got a new neighbor, who
started feeding an outside cat, another big yellow one, could have even been
Harri roadcat's father. One day DH was outside and the neighbor actually
asked DH if "that cat" in the living room window had been with us long...
his had gone missing... DH says... yep we have had him for several years,
through fixing, and crystals, but if you want to buy him for ten times the
vet bills he's yours, Lee
Pat > wrote in message
et...
> You got fooled by two tigers! What a great story!
>
> "Stormmee" > wrote
>
> > As I said we live in a small town. We often sit on our patio and drink
> > coffee and smoke a few cigarettes while discussing the world. In late
> > spring DH noticed a large yellow cat who was obviously a male, and Knew
he
> > was THE manliest cat around. DH giggled as this mancat had on a pink
> > collar. He meowed as he went by but didn't get too close... Time passes
> > and
> > it is the beginning of June. It is blisteringly hot by any standards,
> > over
> > 100 f for several days, which is unusual for this area. It turned out
> > be
> > the only two weeks of hot weather all summer.
> >
> > We were once again sitting on the back porch. drinking coffee and
> > discussing
> > the world.. When the cat with the collar, this time without the collar
> > came
> > up to us, he was miserably thin, and obviously starving. DH got a can
of
> > food. Tiger as we had named him earlier that spring hoovered the entire
> > can
> > and DH got another one, which he also hoovered. I said to DH his people
> > don't take care of him, his collar is gone and if he is going to eat us
> > out
> > of house and home we may as well keep him in ours... the rest is
history.
> > He weighed just under seven pounds when he came to us and was already
> > grown,
> > I am guessing around four years old. He had no hideous diseases, got
> > neutered and got introduced to the other three, and Violette abused him
> > mercilessly for the longest time. He and her eventually became almost
> > friends and life was again peaceful... He is still the same frame size
and
> > now weighs just around 15 pounds, which is just about a half pound too
> > much
> > according to the vet. When I think back at how malnourished he was I
> > truly
> > shudder...
> >
> > and now for the rest of the story... in late fall we were once again on
> > the
> > patio. doing the usual when DH says... Is Tiger in the bedroom? I say
> > yes.
> > He says you aren't going to believe this but the Tiger you have isn't
the
> > Tiger you thought you have... What? The tiger with the collar is
> > currently
> > crossing the back yard and is identical to the one in the bedroom...
Tiger
> > BTW is neurotic because of being starved and has EBS, Lee

Christina Websell
December 13th 06, 06:56 PM
I loved this story!
Does it help your software if I top post in reply or doesn't it matter?

Tweed

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> As I said we live in a small town. We often sit on our patio and drink
> coffee and smoke a few cigarettes while discussing the world. In late
> spring DH noticed a large yellow cat who was obviously a male, and Knew he
> was THE manliest cat around. DH giggled as this mancat had on a pink
> collar. He meowed as he went by but didn't get too close... Time passes
> and
> it is the beginning of June. It is blisteringly hot by any standards,
> over
> 100 f for several days, which is unusual for this area. It turned out to
> be
> the only two weeks of hot weather all summer.
>
> We were once again sitting on the back porch. drinking coffee and
> discussing
> the world.. When the cat with the collar, this time without the collar
> came
> up to us, he was miserably thin, and obviously starving. DH got a can of
> food. Tiger as we had named him earlier that spring hoovered the entire
> can
> and DH got another one, which he also hoovered. I said to DH his people
> don't take care of him, his collar is gone and if he is going to eat us
> out
> of house and home we may as well keep him in ours... the rest is history.
> He weighed just under seven pounds when he came to us and was already
> grown,
> I am guessing around four years old. He had no hideous diseases, got
> neutered and got introduced to the other three, and Violette abused him
> mercilessly for the longest time. He and her eventually became almost
> friends and life was again peaceful... He is still the same frame size and
> now weighs just around 15 pounds, which is just about a half pound too
> much
> according to the vet. When I think back at how malnourished he was I
> truly
> shudder...
>
> and now for the rest of the story... in late fall we were once again on
> the
> patio. doing the usual when DH says... Is Tiger in the bedroom? I say
> yes.
> He says you aren't going to believe this but the Tiger you have isn't the
> Tiger you thought you have... What? The tiger with the collar is
> currently
> crossing the back yard and is identical to the one in the bedroom... Tiger
> BTW is neurotic because of being starved and has EBS, Lee

December 14th 06, 12:12 AM
Stormmee > wrote:

> As I said we live in a small town. We often sit on our patio and drink
> coffee and smoke a few cigarettes while discussing the world. In late
> spring DH noticed a large yellow cat who was obviously a male, and Knew he
> was THE manliest cat around. [snip story]

Good for you two for taking in the starving kitty. He's obviously made
up for lost time. Sometimes when cats have gone hungry, they always eat
as though it might be their last meal for a long time, since they did
have that experience for real. That's probably how he managed to more
than double his weight, but you might have a hard time changing his
eating habits. You don't want him to feel like he's going hungry again,
or that will just make him even more anxious about food. At least a
half pound isn't so much to lose, and he'd probably be OK if he didn't
end up losing it. But I guess you have to be careful he doesn't put on
even more weight.

I love that the original cat showed up again at the end.

Joyce

Stormmee
December 14th 06, 05:16 PM
it doesn't affect the software but it makes it easier for me reading. I
look at who posts sometimes but not all the time and if I just hit next
message and let it read I can hear the message and then read the previous
message for context if need be. Then I don't have to read all the previous
stuff to get the new part. Thanks for thinking about it. That helps me,
Lee
Christina Websell > wrote in message
> I loved this story!
> Does it help your software if I top post in reply or doesn't it matter?
>
> Tweed
>

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
> > As I said we live in a small town. We often sit on our patio and drink
> > coffee and smoke a few cigarettes while discussing the world. In late
> > spring DH noticed a large yellow cat who was obviously a male, and Knew
he
> > was THE manliest cat around. DH giggled as this mancat had on a pink
> > collar. He meowed as he went by but didn't get too close... Time passes
> > and
> > it is the beginning of June. It is blisteringly hot by any standards,
> > over
> > 100 f for several days, which is unusual for this area. It turned out
> > be
> > the only two weeks of hot weather all summer.
> >
> > We were once again sitting on the back porch. drinking coffee and
> > discussing
> > the world.. When the cat with the collar, this time without the collar
> > came
> > up to us, he was miserably thin, and obviously starving. DH got a can
of
> > food. Tiger as we had named him earlier that spring hoovered the entire
> > can
> > and DH got another one, which he also hoovered. I said to DH his people
> > don't take care of him, his collar is gone and if he is going to eat us
> > out
> > of house and home we may as well keep him in ours... the rest is
history.
> > He weighed just under seven pounds when he came to us and was already
> > grown,
> > I am guessing around four years old. He had no hideous diseases, got
> > neutered and got introduced to the other three, and Violette abused him
> > mercilessly for the longest time. He and her eventually became almost
> > friends and life was again peaceful... He is still the same frame size
and
> > now weighs just around 15 pounds, which is just about a half pound too
> > much
> > according to the vet. When I think back at how malnourished he was I
> > truly
> > shudder...
> >
> > and now for the rest of the story... in late fall we were once again on
> > the
> > patio. doing the usual when DH says... Is Tiger in the bedroom? I say
> > yes.
> > He says you aren't going to believe this but the Tiger you have isn't
the
> > Tiger you thought you have... What? The tiger with the collar is
> > currently
> > crossing the back yard and is identical to the one in the bedroom...
Tiger
> > BTW is neurotic because of being starved and has EBS, Lee

Stormmee
December 14th 06, 05:20 PM
he is stable now. in fact after he had been with us for about a year I
took him to a vet and had him checked for diabetes. He eats every hour on
the hour for exactly 7 minutes. Not much just a few crunches but he MUST
check the bowl and he MUST eat a few. He tends to eat more as the bowl gets
empty so I try and keep them very full and he does great. The other day we
had been out of town, all but one bowl was empty. When DH filled them he
ate until he got sick, then all was back to normal. Lee
> wrote in message
> Stormmee > wrote:
>
> > As I said we live in a small town. We often sit on our patio and drink
> > coffee and smoke a few cigarettes while discussing the world. In late
> > spring DH noticed a large yellow cat who was obviously a male, and Knew
he
> > was THE manliest cat around. [snip story]
>
> Good for you two for taking in the starving kitty. He's obviously made
> up for lost time. Sometimes when cats have gone hungry, they always eat
> as though it might be their last meal for a long time, since they did
> have that experience for real. That's probably how he managed to more
> than double his weight, but you might have a hard time changing his
> eating habits. You don't want him to feel like he's going hungry again,
> or that will just make him even more anxious about food. At least a
> half pound isn't so much to lose, and he'd probably be OK if he didn't
> end up losing it. But I guess you have to be careful he doesn't put on
> even more weight.
>
> I love that the original cat showed up again at the end.
>
> Joyce

meeee
December 15th 06, 11:04 PM
Lol he's a darling.
"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> As I said we live in a small town. We often sit on our patio and drink
> coffee and smoke a few cigarettes while discussing the world. In late
> spring DH noticed a large yellow cat who was obviously a male, and Knew he
> was THE manliest cat around. DH giggled as this mancat had on a pink
> collar. He meowed as he went by but didn't get too close... Time passes
> and
> it is the beginning of June. It is blisteringly hot by any standards,
> over
> 100 f for several days, which is unusual for this area. It turned out to
> be
> the only two weeks of hot weather all summer.
>
> We were once again sitting on the back porch. drinking coffee and
> discussing
> the world.. When the cat with the collar, this time without the collar
> came
> up to us, he was miserably thin, and obviously starving. DH got a can of
> food. Tiger as we had named him earlier that spring hoovered the entire
> can
> and DH got another one, which he also hoovered. I said to DH his people
> don't take care of him, his collar is gone and if he is going to eat us
> out
> of house and home we may as well keep him in ours... the rest is history.
> He weighed just under seven pounds when he came to us and was already
> grown,
> I am guessing around four years old. He had no hideous diseases, got
> neutered and got introduced to the other three, and Violette abused him
> mercilessly for the longest time. He and her eventually became almost
> friends and life was again peaceful... He is still the same frame size and
> now weighs just around 15 pounds, which is just about a half pound too
> much
> according to the vet. When I think back at how malnourished he was I
> truly
> shudder...
>
> and now for the rest of the story... in late fall we were once again on
> the
> patio. doing the usual when DH says... Is Tiger in the bedroom? I say
> yes.
> He says you aren't going to believe this but the Tiger you have isn't the
> Tiger you thought you have... What? The tiger with the collar is
> currently
> crossing the back yard and is identical to the one in the bedroom... Tiger
> BTW is neurotic because of being starved and has EBS, Lee

meeee
December 15th 06, 11:06 PM
Ah that explains something...jasmine does the 'eating til I spew' thing at
times, particularly when I don't follow The Routine.
As she's an ex-stray, that would be why, wouldn't it; food anxiety.

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> he is stable now. in fact after he had been with us for about a year I
> took him to a vet and had him checked for diabetes. He eats every hour on
> the hour for exactly 7 minutes. Not much just a few crunches but he MUST
> check the bowl and he MUST eat a few. He tends to eat more as the bowl
> gets
> empty so I try and keep them very full and he does great. The other day
> we
> had been out of town, all but one bowl was empty. When DH filled them he
> ate until he got sick, then all was back to normal. Lee
> > wrote in message
>> Stormmee > wrote:
>>
>> > As I said we live in a small town. We often sit on our patio and
>> drink
>> > coffee and smoke a few cigarettes while discussing the world. In late
>> > spring DH noticed a large yellow cat who was obviously a male, and
>> Knew
> he
>> > was THE manliest cat around. [snip story]
>>
>> Good for you two for taking in the starving kitty. He's obviously made
>> up for lost time. Sometimes when cats have gone hungry, they always eat
>> as though it might be their last meal for a long time, since they did
>> have that experience for real. That's probably how he managed to more
>> than double his weight, but you might have a hard time changing his
>> eating habits. You don't want him to feel like he's going hungry again,
>> or that will just make him even more anxious about food. At least a
>> half pound isn't so much to lose, and he'd probably be OK if he didn't
>> end up losing it. But I guess you have to be careful he doesn't put on
>> even more weight.
>>
>> I love that the original cat showed up again at the end.
>>
>> Joyce

Stormmee
December 16th 06, 03:53 AM
and I always wanted an orange cat, so he is perfect, Lee
meeee > wrote in message
> Lol he's a darling.
> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
> > As I said we live in a small town. We often sit on our patio and drink
> > coffee and smoke a few cigarettes while discussing the world. In late
> > spring DH noticed a large yellow cat who was obviously a male, and Knew
he
> > was THE manliest cat around. DH giggled as this mancat had on a pink
> > collar. He meowed as he went by but didn't get too close... Time passes
> > and
> > it is the beginning of June. It is blisteringly hot by any standards,
> > over
> > 100 f for several days, which is unusual for this area. It turned out
> > be
> > the only two weeks of hot weather all summer.
> >
> > We were once again sitting on the back porch. drinking coffee and
> > discussing
> > the world.. When the cat with the collar, this time without the collar
> > came
> > up to us, he was miserably thin, and obviously starving. DH got a can
of
> > food. Tiger as we had named him earlier that spring hoovered the entire
> > can
> > and DH got another one, which he also hoovered. I said to DH his people
> > don't take care of him, his collar is gone and if he is going to eat us
> > out
> > of house and home we may as well keep him in ours... the rest is
history.
> > He weighed just under seven pounds when he came to us and was already
> > grown,
> > I am guessing around four years old. He had no hideous diseases, got
> > neutered and got introduced to the other three, and Violette abused him
> > mercilessly for the longest time. He and her eventually became almost
> > friends and life was again peaceful... He is still the same frame size
and
> > now weighs just around 15 pounds, which is just about a half pound too
> > much
> > according to the vet. When I think back at how malnourished he was I
> > truly
> > shudder...
> >
> > and now for the rest of the story... in late fall we were once again on
> > the
> > patio. doing the usual when DH says... Is Tiger in the bedroom? I say
> > yes.
> > He says you aren't going to believe this but the Tiger you have isn't
the
> > Tiger you thought you have... What? The tiger with the collar is
> > currently
> > crossing the back yard and is identical to the one in the bedroom...
Tiger
> > BTW is neurotic because of being starved and has EBS, Lee

Stormmee
December 16th 06, 03:56 AM
I really think that like people affect them, circumstances affect them and
if we can put the behavior to the issue/behavior we have a better time of
it, I know I will never fix his food anxiety but I can do my best to reduce
it when we are home, and if we do go out of town we both know that it means
cleaning up hurke when we get home, Lee
meeee > wrote in message
> Ah that explains something...jasmine does the 'eating til I spew' thing at
> times, particularly when I don't follow The Routine.
> As she's an ex-stray, that would be why, wouldn't it; food anxiety.
>
> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
> > he is stable now. in fact after he had been with us for about a year I
> > took him to a vet and had him checked for diabetes. He eats every hour
on
> > the hour for exactly 7 minutes. Not much just a few crunches but he
MUST
> > check the bowl and he MUST eat a few. He tends to eat more as the bowl
> > gets
> > empty so I try and keep them very full and he does great. The other day
> > we
> > had been out of town, all but one bowl was empty. When DH filled them
he
> > ate until he got sick, then all was back to normal. Lee
> > > wrote in message

> >> drink
> >> Knew
> > he
> >>
> >> Good for you two for taking in the starving kitty. He's obviously made
> >> up for lost time. Sometimes when cats have gone hungry, they always eat
> >> as though it might be their last meal for a long time, since they did
> >> have that experience for real. That's probably how he managed to more
> >> than double his weight, but you might have a hard time changing his
> >> eating habits. You don't want him to feel like he's going hungry again,
> >> or that will just make him even more anxious about food. At least a
> >> half pound isn't so much to lose, and he'd probably be OK if he didn't
> >> end up losing it. But I guess you have to be careful he doesn't put on
> >> even more weight.
> >>
> >> I love that the original cat showed up again at the end.
> >>
> >> Joyce

Stormmee
December 16th 06, 04:19 AM
LOL, Lee
meeee > wrote in message
> Yes Orange Cats Rule!!
>
> I have to say that or they will kill me...
>
> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
> > and I always wanted an orange cat, so he is perfect, Lee
> > meeee > wrote in message
> >> Lol he's a darling.
Knew
> > he

> > of
> > history.
> > and

> > the
> > Tiger

Stormmee
December 16th 06, 04:23 AM
keep a journal of all food/hurking/stress behaviors, if you do it long
enough you will find a pattern and then the cause, I couldn't figure out
Tiger's hysterical behavior one day, and DH and I talked it to death. and
then it hit DH, and he says, "were you cleaning?" I said yes and boxing up
video tapes... we got a box and carried it around, he gets hysterical when
we get a box... or pack a suitcase... or bag up anything... so conclusion is
he was dumped, during a move, Lee
meeee > wrote in message
> Yes, I agree. She does it at odd times, so I'm still not sure what
triggers
> it with her. Just stress in general from what I can see. She has no self
> control with food though, and will eat until she's fat if I let her; I
find
> her in the cupboard staring at the food...:p dopey cat!!
>
> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
> >I really think that like people affect them, circumstances affect them
and
> > if we can put the behavior to the issue/behavior we have a better time
of
> > it, I know I will never fix his food anxiety but I can do my best to
> > reduce
> > it when we are home, and if we do go out of town we both know that it
> > means
> > cleaning up hurke when we get home, Lee
> > meeee > wrote in message
> >> Ah that explains something...jasmine does the 'eating til I spew' thing
> >> at
> >> times, particularly when I don't follow The Routine.
> >> As she's an ex-stray, that would be why, wouldn't it; food anxiety.

> > on
> > MUST
> > he

> > late

meeee
December 16th 06, 04:25 AM

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> [...]
> and
>> > now weighs just around 15 pounds, which is just about a half pound too
>> > much
>> > according to the vet. When I think back at how malnourished he was I
>> > truly
>> > shudder...
>> >
>> > and now for the rest of the story... in late fall we were once again on
>> > the
>> > patio. doing the usual when DH says... Is Tiger in the bedroom? I say
>> > yes.
>> > He says you aren't going to believe this but the Tiger you have isn't
> the
>> > Tiger you thought you have... What? The tiger with the collar is
>> > currently
>> > crossing the back yard and is identical to the one in the bedroom...
> Tiger
>> > BTW is neurotic because of being starved and has EBS, Lee

December 16th 06, 04:27 AM

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
>I really think that like people affect them, circumstances affect them and
> if we can put the behavior to the issue/behavior we have a better time of
> it, I know I will never fix his food anxiety but I can do my best to
> reduce
> it when we are home, and if we do go out of town we both know that it
> means
> cleaning up hurke when we get home, Lee
> meeee > wrote in message
>> Ah that explains something...jasmine does the 'eating til I spew' thing
>> at
>> times, particularly when I don't follow The Routine.
>> As she's an ex-stray, that would be why, wouldn't it; food anxiety.
>>
>> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> > he is stable now. in fact after he had been with us for about a year
>> > took him to a vet and had him checked for diabetes. He eats every hour
> on
>> > the hour for exactly 7 minutes. Not much just a few crunches but he
> MUST
>> > check the bowl and he MUST eat a few. He tends to eat more as the bowl
>> > gets
>> > empty so I try and keep them very full and he does great. The other
>> > day
>> > we
>> > had been out of town, all but one bowl was empty. When DH filled them
> he
>> > ate until he got sick, then all was back to normal. Lee

> late
>> > he

meeee
December 16th 06, 09:24 AM
Poor baby. Thanks for that tip, I'm going to start watching the hurks now.

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> keep a journal of all food/hurking/stress behaviors, if you do it long
> enough you will find a pattern and then the cause, I couldn't figure out
> Tiger's hysterical behavior one day, and DH and I talked it to death. and
> then it hit DH, and he says, "were you cleaning?" I said yes and boxing up
> video tapes... we got a box and carried it around, he gets hysterical when
> we get a box... or pack a suitcase... or bag up anything... so conclusion
> is
> he was dumped, during a move, Lee
> meeee > wrote in message
>> Yes, I agree. She does it at odd times, so I'm still not sure what
> triggers
>> it with her. Just stress in general from what I can see. She has no self
>> control with food though, and will eat until she's fat if I let her; I
> find
>> her in the cupboard staring at the food...:p dopey cat!!
>>
>> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> >I really think that like people affect them, circumstances affect them
> and
>> > if we can put the behavior to the issue/behavior we have a better time
> of
>> > it, I know I will never fix his food anxiety but I can do my best to
>> > reduce
>> > it when we are home, and if we do go out of town we both know that it
>> > means
>> > cleaning up hurke when we get home, Lee

> year
> hour
>> > on
>> > MUST
> bowl
> them
>> > he

>> > late
> and

> made
> did
> more
> didn't
> on

polonca12000
December 16th 06, 10:14 PM
Great story! Thanks.
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

Stormmee wrote:

> As I said we live in a small town. We often sit on our patio and drink
> coffee and smoke a few cigarettes while discussing the world. In late
> spring DH noticed a large yellow cat who was obviously a male, and Knew he
> was THE manliest cat around. DH giggled as this mancat had on a pink
> collar. He meowed as he went by but didn't get too close... Time passes and
> it is the beginning of June. It is blisteringly hot by any standards, over
> 100 f for several days, which is unusual for this area. It turned out to be
> the only two weeks of hot weather all summer.
>
> We were once again sitting on the back porch. drinking coffee and discussing
> the world.. When the cat with the collar, this time without the collar came
> up to us, he was miserably thin, and obviously starving. DH got a can of
> food. Tiger as we had named him earlier that spring hoovered the entire can
> and DH got another one, which he also hoovered. I said to DH his people
> don't take care of him, his collar is gone and if he is going to eat us out
> of house and home we may as well keep him in ours... the rest is history.
> He weighed just under seven pounds when he came to us and was already grown,
> I am guessing around four years old. He had no hideous diseases, got
> neutered and got introduced to the other three, and Violette abused him
> mercilessly for the longest time. He and her eventually became almost
> friends and life was again peaceful... He is still the same frame size and
> now weighs just around 15 pounds, which is just about a half pound too much
> according to the vet. When I think back at how malnourished he was I truly
> shudder...
>
> and now for the rest of the story... in late fall we were once again on the
> patio. doing the usual when DH says... Is Tiger in the bedroom? I say yes.
> He says you aren't going to believe this but the Tiger you have isn't the
> Tiger you thought you have... What? The tiger with the collar is currently
> crossing the back yard and is identical to the one in the bedroom... Tiger
> BTW is neurotic because of being starved and has EBS, Lee

Dewi
December 17th 06, 01:56 AM
Oh the poor darling. I just want to cuddle him and tell him it's okay. I
think as the years go by Tiger will stress less. Pity we can't
communicate properly with them.

Dewi

Stormmee wrote:
> keep a journal of all food/hurking/stress behaviors, if you do it long
> enough you will find a pattern and then the cause, I couldn't figure out
> Tiger's hysterical behavior one day, and DH and I talked it to death. and
> then it hit DH, and he says, "were you cleaning?" I said yes and boxing up
> video tapes... we got a box and carried it around, he gets hysterical when
> we get a box... or pack a suitcase... or bag up anything... so conclusion is
> he was dumped, during a move, Lee
> meeee > wrote in message
>> Yes, I agree. She does it at odd times, so I'm still not sure what
> triggers
>> it with her. Just stress in general from what I can see. She has no self
>> control with food though, and will eat until she's fat if I let her; I
> find
>> her in the cupboard staring at the food...:p dopey cat!!
>>
>> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>> I really think that like people affect them, circumstances affect them
> and
>>> if we can put the behavior to the issue/behavior we have a better time
> of
>>> it, I know I will never fix his food anxiety but I can do my best to
>>> reduce
>>> it when we are home, and if we do go out of town we both know that it
>>> means
>>> cleaning up hurke when we get home, Lee

> year
> hour
>>> on
>>> MUST
> bowl
> them
>>> he

>>> late
> and

> made
> did
> more
> didn't
> on

Stormmee
December 17th 06, 07:16 AM
glad to help, the issues Tiger has really make me dislike humans, and value
the vet we have she really works to solve these types of problems without
medicines and at as little cost as possible... we solved the packing for a
trip problem by me packing "in piles" a little at a time... then we put the
cats in the bedroom and they think we are going out for a cigarette, but we
put it all in the suitcase and DH hustles it out to the van. The cleaning
issue is similar. I have most everything either boxed or decluttered now
and when I go to even move the living room furniture we put them in the
bedroom like we are going to have a cigarette... its so funny when we let
them out, and Tiger gets as curious as the others as to the changes so he
forgets to be stressed that it got moved, Lee
meeee > wrote in message
> Poor baby. Thanks for that tip, I'm going to start watching the hurks now.
>
> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
> > keep a journal of all food/hurking/stress behaviors, if you do it long
> > enough you will find a pattern and then the cause, I couldn't figure out
> > Tiger's hysterical behavior one day, and DH and I talked it to death.
and
> > then it hit DH, and he says, "were you cleaning?" I said yes and boxing
up
> > video tapes... we got a box and carried it around, he gets hysterical
when
> > we get a box... or pack a suitcase... or bag up anything... so
conclusion
> > is
> > he was dumped, during a move, Lee
> > meeee > wrote in message
> >> Yes, I agree. She does it at odd times, so I'm still not sure what
> > triggers
> >> it with her. Just stress in general from what I can see. She has no
self
> >> control with food though, and will eat until she's fat if I let her; I
> > find
> >> her in the cupboard staring at the food...:p dopey cat!!

> > and
> > of

> > year
> > hour
> > bowl
> > them

> > and

> > made
> > did
> > more
> > didn't
> > on

Stormmee
December 17th 06, 07:17 AM
you are most welcome, Lee
polonca12000 > wrote in message
> Great story! Thanks.
> Best wishes,
> Polonca and Soncek
>
> Stormmee wrote:
>
> > As I said we live in a small town. We often sit on our patio and drink
> > coffee and smoke a few cigarettes while discussing the world. In late
> > spring DH noticed a large yellow cat who was obviously a male, and Knew
he
> > was THE manliest cat around. DH giggled as this mancat had on a pink
> > collar. He meowed as he went by but didn't get too close... Time passes
and
> > it is the beginning of June. It is blisteringly hot by any standards,
over
> > 100 f for several days, which is unusual for this area. It turned out
to be
> > the only two weeks of hot weather all summer.
> >
> > We were once again sitting on the back porch. drinking coffee and
discussing
> > the world.. When the cat with the collar, this time without the collar
came
> > up to us, he was miserably thin, and obviously starving. DH got a can
of
> > food. Tiger as we had named him earlier that spring hoovered the entire
can
> > and DH got another one, which he also hoovered. I said to DH his people
> > don't take care of him, his collar is gone and if he is going to eat us
out
> > of house and home we may as well keep him in ours... the rest is
history.
> > He weighed just under seven pounds when he came to us and was already
grown,
> > I am guessing around four years old. He had no hideous diseases, got
> > neutered and got introduced to the other three, and Violette abused him
> > mercilessly for the longest time. He and her eventually became almost
> > friends and life was again peaceful... He is still the same frame size
and
> > now weighs just around 15 pounds, which is just about a half pound too
much
> > according to the vet. When I think back at how malnourished he was I
truly
> > shudder...
> >
> > and now for the rest of the story... in late fall we were once again on
the
> > patio. doing the usual when DH says... Is Tiger in the bedroom? I say
yes.
> > He says you aren't going to believe this but the Tiger you have isn't
the
> > Tiger you thought you have... What? The tiger with the collar is
currently
> > crossing the back yard and is identical to the one in the bedroom...
Tiger
> > BTW is neurotic because of being starved and has EBS, Lee

Stormmee
December 17th 06, 07:19 AM
he is some better but not much, he gets stressed over the bowls butt he now
comes and gets one of us cranking the whole time, when he first came, and
figured out we weren't going to hit him or put him out, he screamed when it
went empty. Lee, who would love tocuddle him also but rarely gets
purrmision to do so