PDA

View Full Version : Re: Easy way to wean cat off of Fancy Feast and onto Hills Prescription Diet? - HELP!

cybercat
December 13th 06, 10:01 PM
> wrote in message
> I'm trying to get my elderly mom to stop giving her cat (with a granuloma
> like skin condition on her hind legs) Fancy Feast and try Hills low
> allergen Z/D prescription diet formula to see if it was the Fancy Feast
> that's the problem.

Fancy Feast varieties with meat (and not byproducts) as the first ingredient
have been part of what keeps my cat from having linear granuloma.

More important has been controlling things like perfumes in litter and on me
and my clothes, dust, mold, and cleaning agents.

If you have not made serious efforts to control the above, do not put the
cat through this. Fancy Feast is high protein, high moisture foods, many
varieties with no grain or gluten, which ARE the main food allergens for
cats. And, they find it delicious. And dry food is going to suck.

Get the cat a Depo shot, control the allergens, and everyone, including
your mother will be happy. My cat gets by on two Depo Medrol shots
a year, and my vet told me they generally do not see adverse complications
unless they are giving the shots more than once every two months.

Spot
December 13th 06, 11:46 PM
I have to agree that the Fancy Fease is the least of the problems. Most
cats do much better on Fancy Feast because it is better quality food without
all the fillers.

My mother has a cat with the same problem and I can tell you it's more of a
seasonal allergy type reaction and an emotional response. It's a vicious
cycle you are creating by causing your mom to have more stress over the cat.
The cat cries for it's food, your mom gets stressed this causes the cat more
stress which in turn leads to more licking and chewing to itself. I've seen
it time and time again with my mom cat. Everytime there is some upheaval in
the house or change in schedule she goes to chewing herself and can make
herself sore and bald overnight. Every spring and fall she has the same
type of thing happen. After almost 15 years of it we have just taken to
getting her a depo shot twice a year and if it gets really really bad she
ends up on pills and sometimes valium.

To keep peace in the house and take the cat for the shots, let her feed it
the Fancy Fease and get the carpet cleaned while your moms out of the house.
Stanley Steamer can come in and be done in just a couple hours time.

Celeste

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> I'm trying to get my elderly mom to stop giving her cat (with a granuloma
>> like skin condition on her hind legs) Fancy Feast and try Hills low
>> allergen Z/D prescription diet formula to see if it was the Fancy Feast
>> that's the problem.
>
> Fancy Feast varieties with meat (and not byproducts) as the first
> ingredient
> have been part of what keeps my cat from having linear granuloma.
>
> More important has been controlling things like perfumes in litter and on
> me
> and my clothes, dust, mold, and cleaning agents.
>
> If you have not made serious efforts to control the above, do not put the
> cat through this. Fancy Feast is high protein, high moisture foods, many
> varieties with no grain or gluten, which ARE the main food allergens for
> cats. And, they find it delicious. And dry food is going to suck.
>
> Get the cat a Depo shot, control the allergens, and everyone, including
> your mother will be happy. My cat gets by on two Depo Medrol shots
> a year, and my vet told me they generally do not see adverse complications
> unless they are giving the shots more than once every two months.

Lynne
December 14th 06, 12:08 AM
on Wed, 13 Dec 2006 23:46:49 GMT, "Spot" > wrote:

> To keep peace in the house and take the cat for the shots, let her
> feed it the Fancy Fease and get the carpet cleaned while your moms out
> of the house. Stanley Steamer can come in and be done in just a couple
> hours time.

and do the upholstry, too. Until you eliminate potential environmental
allergans, changing the food is too drastic.

--
Lynne

December 14th 06, 12:10 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in
:

> > wrote in message
>> I'm trying to get my elderly mom to stop giving her cat (with a
>> granuloma like skin condition on her hind legs) Fancy Feast and try
>> Hills low allergen Z/D prescription diet formula to see if it was the
>> Fancy Feast that's the problem.
>
> Fancy Feast varieties with meat (and not byproducts) as the first
> ingredient have been part of what keeps my cat from having linear
> granuloma.
>
> More important has been controlling things like perfumes in litter and
> on me and my clothes, dust, mold, and cleaning agents.
>
> If you have not made serious efforts to control the above, do not put
> the cat through this. Fancy Feast is high protein, high moisture
> foods, many varieties with no grain or gluten, which ARE the main food
> allergens for cats. And, they find it delicious. And dry food is going
> to suck.
>
> Get the cat a Depo shot, control the allergens, and everyone,
> including your mother will be happy. My cat gets by on two Depo Medrol
> shots a year, and my vet told me they generally do not see adverse
> complications unless they are giving the shots more than once every
> two months.

We've been giving the cat the Fancy Feast flavors without the wheat
gluten but they throw every protein source in there (beef, fish, egg)
along with the chicken or turkey.

She doesn't use perfumed litter and my mom tells me she stopped using
perfume a long time ago. The dust and carpet situation might be a
problem to clear as I explained in my previous message. The minute I
suggest buying a steam cleaner for the carpet, you can just imagine what
she says.

We've already gotten rid of one bad carpet, but the other one has held up
and she refuses to pick it up.

December 14th 06, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

"Spot" > wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Subject: Re: Easy way to wean cat off of Fancy Feast and onto Hills
> Prescription Diet? - HELP! From: "Spot" >
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
>
> I have to agree that the Fancy Fease is the least of the problems.
> Most cats do much better on Fancy Feast because it is better quality
> food without all the fillers.
>
> My mother has a cat with the same problem and I can tell you it's more
> of a seasonal allergy type reaction and an emotional response.

Unfortunately, this cat seems to have it all year round. I wonder if my
mother's anxiety and depression compounds the problem as the cat sees and
hears her in her moods. I truly believe animals can sense this (as a
major anti-depressant commmercial currently running on TV shows).

After almost 15 years of it we have just taken to getting her
> a depo shot twice a year and if it gets really really bad she ends up
> on pills and sometimes valium.

So you would suggest the Depo Medrol? Does your cat seem out of sorts
for the first 2 days after the shot? Ours hid under the bed for a day
and seemed sad. She came back to herself after 2 days or so.

How was the Valium? Have you tried any anti-allergy pills like
Chlortrimeton (half of a 4 mg pill)?

> To keep peace in the house and take the cat for the shots, let her
> feed it the Fancy Fease and get the carpet cleaned while your moms out
> of the house.
>
> Celeste

She's never out of the house except for a trip to the supermarket and the
baker! LOL! How else do you think she manages to make all these phone
calls?!

December 14th 06, 12:22 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in :

> If you have not made serious efforts to control the above, do not put the
> cat through this. Fancy Feast is high protein, high moisture foods, many
> varieties with no grain or gluten, which ARE the main food allergens for
> cats. And, they find it delicious.

Fancy Feast is like crack for cats! I don't know what they put in it, but
all cats seem to love it.

And dry food is going to suck.

I'm not going to keep her on a strictly dry food diet. It's the Hills Z/D
prescription low allergen wet and dry food.

I may just have to give her the Fancy Feast canned food with the Hills z/d
and see how she does if she won't eat the Hills canned food. At least
she'll be free of wheat glutens in her diet.

I just don't like changing dry foods because it takes a while for their
digestive systems to adjust and you have to change slowly. I'm just
wondering if I should just go back to Purina Pro Plan already and let the
Depo Medrol shots take care of the situation.

cybercat
December 14th 06, 12:30 AM
> wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote in :
>
>> If you have not made serious efforts to control the above, do not put the
>> cat through this. Fancy Feast is high protein, high moisture foods, many
>> varieties with no grain or gluten, which ARE the main food allergens for
>> cats. And, they find it delicious.
>

> Fancy Feast is like crack for cats! I don't know what they put in it, but
> all cats seem to love it.

Well, good, because it is good for them.

> And dry food is going to suck.
>
> I'm not going to keep her on a strictly dry food diet. It's the Hills Z/D
> prescription low allergen wet and dry food.

She is still going to think it sucks compared with FF!

> I may just have to give her the Fancy Feast canned food with the Hills z/d
> and see how she does if she won't eat the Hills canned food. At least
> she'll be free of wheat glutens in her diet.

Where was the wheat gluten coming from? It is in a few varieties of FF
but not all.

> I just don't like changing dry foods because it takes a while for their
> digestive systems to adjust and you have to change slowly. I'm just
> wondering if I should just go back to Purina Pro Plan already and let the
> Depo Medrol shots take care of the situation.

Have you addressed the dust, chemical, fragrance, mold, etc. issues?

Honestly, why feed her dry at all? It always contains more grains, and
they are the chief allergens.

Cheryl
December 14th 06, 12:32 AM
On Wed 13 Dec 2006 07:10:45p, wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> We've been giving the cat the Fancy Feast flavors without the
> wheat gluten but they throw every protein source in there (beef,
> fish, egg) along with the chicken or turkey.

Vets will always suggest the hypo-allergenic diet as one of the
first trials, after flea treatment. It's very hard to stick to,
even if she only has the one cat, though that makes it a little
easier. I don't agree that wheat and other glutons are the *most*
common triggers, though. Fish is very high on the list along with
egg, IIRC. Wheat is somewhere on the list for common cat allergy
triggers, though, but surprisingly corn isn't.

According to the vet dermatologist I took Shamrock to, the most
common allergens other than flea bites are atopic - dust, pollen,
mold spores. The problem is that there are just so many varieties
of all of these. They can tend to be regional and they get into
everything and float in the air. In cases of these allergies, the
cat would have to live in a bubble to avoid them, so it depends on
the intensity of the reaction to really know how to treat.

I guess you will hear differing "expert opinions" from every
various vet you talk to if you have the luxury of asking a few.

> She doesn't use perfumed litter and my mom tells me she stopped
> using perfume a long time ago. The dust and carpet situation
> might be a problem to clear as I explained in my previous
> message. The minute I suggest buying a steam cleaner for the
> carpet, you can just imagine what she says.
>
> We've already gotten rid of one bad carpet, but the other one
> has held up and she refuses to pick it up.

I wouldn't buy a steam cleaner if you can just have a cleaner
company come in and steam clean it for her. I see specials all the
time, and have that done a couple of times a year until I can pull
up all of my own carpet and get laminate installed. But, like our
dermatologist said, there is still bedding, mattresses, furniture,
air ducts, and every surface that you miss during even the most
thorough cleanings.

FRT, Shamrock hasn't had a steroid shot since finding a low dose of
cyclosporine (10mg) that his stomach can tolerate. He had his last
Depo shot in July. He still has a few bumps at the base of his tail
and one hind leg, and he still gets a little itchy, but nothing
like it used to be and he doesn't pull his fur out and bite himself
bloody any more. :)

--
Cheryl

cybercat
December 14th 06, 12:39 AM
> wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote in
>

> She doesn't use perfumed litter and my mom tells me she stopped using
> perfume a long time ago. The dust and carpet situation might be a
> problem to clear as I explained in my previous message. The minute I
> suggest buying a steam cleaner for the carpet, you can just imagine what
> she says.
>
> We've already gotten rid of one bad carpet, but the other one has held up
> and she refuses to pick it up.

Sorry, I missed this. Your mom would likely be healthier without carpets,
as your cat would. Wood or laminate or tile with area rugs that can be
thoroughly cleaned are so much better all the way around. (But old people
seem especially to want wall-to-wall. I hate it, it just traps dirt and dust
and
mold.)

Regarding perfume: think also laundry detergent, air fresheners, spray
bleach products, and smoke/fumes of all kinds.

Strangest thing is, though I was a 25-year smoker, it seizes my lungs
up now right away in cold weather. (As is so common, asthma
accompanies my allergies.) Then there is the stench of it on people,
but that is just a matter of revulsion, not health. (I cannot believe
I smelled that way at one time and that people actually dated me
and a non-smoker actually married me!) But I digress. I do try
not to be one of those pillish ex-smokers, but it is hard. I actually
find myself avoiding smokers these days just so I don't have to
smell it.

The reason I am so adamant about this is because I have allergies too,
and find all of these to be irritants that make them worse.

Please go with the Depo, and lay off the dry food altogether if you
can. Convenience is the only reason I can see for feeding it.

Cheryl
December 14th 06, 12:40 AM
On Wed 13 Dec 2006 07:22:42p, wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> I'm just
> wondering if I should just go back to Purina Pro Plan already
> and let the Depo Medrol shots take care of the situation.

One of my other cats had bumps that he chewed on until infected, and
it dawned on me that he was sampling Pro Plan dry that one of my
other cats ate, so I stopped feeding it. He is a dry food junkie, but
eats SD Sensitive Stomach, so that's already limited in ingredients.
When I discontinued the PP dry, he hasn't had a recurrance of skin
problems. PP dry food, like their canned, has wheat in it. For both
of these cats (your moms and my Rhett) it very well could be wheat.
Worth a try. A good simple-ingredient dry food is California
Natural. 50% of mine eat mostly canned food (fancy feast
coincidentally LOL) but will munch on a few pieces of CN.

--
Cheryl

cybercat
December 14th 06, 12:42 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote >

>I don't agree that wheat and other glutons are the *most*
> common triggers, though. Fish is very high on the list along with
> egg, IIRC. Wheat is somewhere on the list for common cat allergy
> triggers, though, but surprisingly corn isn't.

FWIW, Gracie does not like varieties with fish or egg. She does
eat the ones with wheat gluten on occasion. She loves the beef
and chicken and liver varieties, and it is on these that she has
had the fewest asthma/Egc outbreaks.

Cheryl
December 14th 06, 12:58 AM
On Wed 13 Dec 2006 07:42:11p, cybercat wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav >:

> "Cheryl" > wrote >
>
>>I don't agree that wheat and other glutons are the *most*
>> common triggers, though. Fish is very high on the list along
>> with egg, IIRC. Wheat is somewhere on the list for common cat
>> allergy triggers, though, but surprisingly corn isn't.
>>

> FWIW, Gracie does not like varieties with fish or egg. She does
> eat the ones with wheat gluten on occasion. She loves the beef
> and chicken and liver varieties, and it is on these that she has
> had the fewest asthma/Egc outbreaks.

I guess this is what makes treating allergies so hard. There are
the common allergens, then there are those who respond well to
eliminating the not-as-common allergens. Then there's the really
odd-ball cats like Shamrock that is allergic to cat dander. How do
you get that out of a cat's environment?? *sigh* When the
dermatologist told me he was allergic to cats, my first thought
was jokingly that he had to find somewhere else to live since
there are cats at home. Then it was like, "wait, you *are* a
cat".

--
Cheryl

December 14th 06, 01:11 AM
Cheryl > wrote in news:[email protected]
130.133.1.4:

> FRT, Shamrock hasn't had a steroid shot since finding a low dose of
> cyclosporine (10mg) that his stomach can tolerate. He had his last
> Depo shot in July. He still has a few bumps at the base of his tail
> and one hind leg, and he still gets a little itchy, but nothing
> like it used to be and he doesn't pull his fur out and bite himself
> bloody any more. :)

That's great to hear. I mentioned it to my vet and he said that you have
to monitor the animal closely when you start with Cyclosporine (regular
blood tests, etc).

December 14th 06, 01:12 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in :

> "Cheryl" > wrote >
>
>>I don't agree that wheat and other glutons are the *most*
>> common triggers, though. Fish is very high on the list along with
>> egg, IIRC. Wheat is somewhere on the list for common cat allergy
>> triggers, though, but surprisingly corn isn't.
>>

> FWIW, Gracie does not like varieties with fish or egg. She does
> eat the ones with wheat gluten on occasion. She loves the beef
> and chicken and liver varieties, and it is on these that she has
> had the fewest asthma/Egc outbreaks.

Which flavor of Fancy Feast DOESN'T include several protein sources in the
list of ingredients?

Why can't they make it easy on us and create a low allergan Fancy Feast
flavor!?

Cheryl
December 14th 06, 01:14 AM
On Wed 13 Dec 2006 08:11:26p, wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> That's great to hear. I mentioned it to my vet and he said that
> you have to monitor the animal closely when you start with
> Cyclosporine (regular blood tests, etc).

Very true. But when there is nothing else, what do you do? We have an
appt for Shamrock to go in on Sat morning for his monitoring and
bloodwork. If it is causing a problem, we'll know early this way,
and I guess we'll just have to figure out plan e or plan f for
allergy control. :(

--
Cheryl

none
December 14th 06, 01:20 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in
:

> . Wood or laminate or tile with area rugs
> that can be thoroughly cleaned are so much better all the way around.
> (But old people seem especially to want wall-to-wall. I hate it, it
> just traps dirt and dust and
> mold.)

Even when we picked up the carpet and that awful rubber padding with all
the staples and nails under it, she put up a major fuss about having the
floor professionally cleaned. She felt her washing of it was enough and it
didn't have to be cleaned and polished by a professional.

> I have allergies too,
> and find all of these to be irritants that make them worse.

Same here. I'm even allergic to cats but I take a pill before I go over
there. As a kid, I had a cat as a pet all my life and never suffered the
kind of reaction as I do now when I don't take the pill. I have noticed
that if I stay there for a few days, I develop a tolerance to the dander,
and my reaction isn't as severe without the pill. I have numerous other
allergies, also.

I'm convinced those carpets worsened my allergies through the years when I
lived there.

> Please go with the Depo, and lay off the dry food altogether if you
> can. Convenience is the only reason I can see for feeding it.

I'll try but I've already gotten several calls since I suggested the shots,
and the calls weren't very pleasant.

Why don't you like the dry food in addition to canned food?

December 14th 06, 01:26 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in
:

> Where was the wheat gluten coming from? It is in a few varieties of FF
> but not all.

Purina Pro Plan. I make sure that the Fancy Feast we give her doesn't have
the wheat glutens.

> Have you addressed the dust, chemical, fragrance, mold, etc. issues?

There's no fragrances (except for the fabric softener my mom uses and good
luck trying to tell her it may be a problem). I don't see any molds there
and approaching the dust thing is like starting a war with her! She cleans
alot, but doesn't realize that things like central air conditioning vents
(that the cat loves to sit on in the winter when the heat is off), carpets,
and furniture have microscopic mites all over them. She insists there's
no mites in her apartment. What can I do?

> Honestly, why feed her dry at all? It always contains more grains, and
> they are the chief allergens.

Not the Hills z/d low allergan, though. Supposedly, hard food removes some
tartar from an animal's teeth (and the poor thing lost most of her little
teeth when she was younger).

December 14th 06, 01:34 AM
Cheryl > wrote in news:[email protected]
130.133.1.4:

> On Wed 13 Dec 2006 07:22:42p, wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> >:
>
>> I'm just
>> wondering if I should just go back to Purina Pro Plan already
>> and let the Depo Medrol shots take care of the situation.
>
> One of my other cats had bumps that he chewed on until infected, and
> it dawned on me that he was sampling Pro Plan dry that one of my
> other cats ate, so I stopped feeding it. He is a dry food junkie, but
> eats SD Sensitive Stomach, so that's already limited in ingredients.
> When I discontinued the PP dry, he hasn't had a recurrance of skin
> problems. PP dry food, like their canned, has wheat in it. For both
> of these cats (your moms and my Rhett) it very well could be wheat.
> Worth a try. A good simple-ingredient dry food is California
> Natural. 50% of mine eat mostly canned food (fancy feast
> coincidentally LOL) but will munch on a few pieces of CN.

The first few lines in the Hills SD look a little iffy. I've checked out
alot of their non-prescription line and I'm amazed at how often by-
products are near the top of the food chain in their ingredient list.

http://www.petco.com/shop/product.aspx?familyid=8667&cm_mmc=bazaarvoice-
_-RLP-_-8667-_-productname_link#details

Brewers rice, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, animal fat
(preserved with mixed tocopherols), corn meal, dried egg product, chicken
liver digest, oat fiber, l-lysine, fish meal, dl-methionine, taurine, l-
tryptophan, preserved with mixed tocopherols, citric acid and rosemary
extract, beta-carotene, minerals [potassium chloride, calcium carbonate,
salt, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide,
calcium iodate, sodium selenite], vitamins [choline chloride, vitamin A
supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, ascorbic acid (a
source of vitamin C), niacin, thiamine, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin,
pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement].

If this is the California Natural product you use (Chicken and Rice), it
looks excellent. I may just get it if I can find it locally. The
question is can I balance it with her Hills z/d low allergan and not
upset her stomach. I just paid $19 for the 4 lb. bag of the z/d at the
vet's office. How is their canned food?

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=product-detail&pxsl=%2F%2Fproduct%
[email protected]%3D%2772%27%5D

Joy
December 14th 06, 01:40 AM
"none" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote in
> :
>
>> . Wood or laminate or tile with area rugs
>> that can be thoroughly cleaned are so much better all the way around.
>> (But old people seem especially to want wall-to-wall. I hate it, it
>> just traps dirt and dust and
>> mold.)
>>

> Even when we picked up the carpet and that awful rubber padding with all
> the staples and nails under it, she put up a major fuss about having the
> floor professionally cleaned. She felt her washing of it was enough and
> it
> didn't have to be cleaned and polished by a professional.
>>
>> I have allergies too,
>> and find all of these to be irritants that make them worse.
>

> Same here. I'm even allergic to cats but I take a pill before I go over
> there. As a kid, I had a cat as a pet all my life and never suffered the
> kind of reaction as I do now when I don't take the pill. I have noticed
> that if I stay there for a few days, I develop a tolerance to the dander,
> and my reaction isn't as severe without the pill. I have numerous other
> allergies, also.
>
> I'm convinced those carpets worsened my allergies through the years when I
> lived there.
>>
>> Please go with the Depo, and lay off the dry food altogether if you
>> can. Convenience is the only reason I can see for feeding it.

My vet sees canned food as a treat and thinks they should be fed mostly dry
food. It is much better for their teeth.

Joy

Lynne
December 14th 06, 01:47 AM
on Thu, 14 Dec 2006 01:40:42 GMT, "Joy" > wrote:

> My vet sees canned food as a treat and thinks they should be fed
> mostly dry food. It is much better for their teeth.

that's old school fallacy. All the current recommendations from the
veterinary community specify wet food for cats and for several reasons.
Additionally, dry food is not beneficial to cat teeth the way it is to the
teeth of dogs due to the the fact that cats slice their food rather than
chew it (cats are pure carnivores). Your vet isn't keeping up. Neither
was mine and that is only one of several reasons I got a new one.

--
Lynne

Cheryl
December 14th 06, 01:50 AM
On Wed 13 Dec 2006 08:34:37p, wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> Brewers rice, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, animal
> fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), corn meal, dried egg
> product, chicken liver digest, oat fiber, l-lysine, fish meal,
> dl-methionine, taurine, l- tryptophan, preserved with mixed
> tocopherols, citric acid and rosemary extract, beta-carotene,
> minerals [potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, salt, ferrous
> sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium
> iodate, sodium selenite], vitamins [choline chloride, vitamin A
> supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement,
> ascorbic acid (a source of vitamin C), niacin, thiamine, calcium
> pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid,
> biotin, vitamin B12 supplement].

Huh. I didn't think it had corn in it when he first started eating
it. Rhett had a very sensitive stomach as a kitten moving on to
adult food, and this one actually cured it (very bad diarrhea).
Since it worked so well and he refused to eat canned once he found
a bowl of Bonnie's food (he was about 6 months old, maybe a little
less) so I just never thought to change him to anything else -
don't fix what ain't broke mentality.

Glad to say he has started eating canned food again and I can cut
back on the dry. His favorites are FF Chopped Grill, Chunky
Chicken, Chunky turkey, and a few of the Gourmet varieties.

> If this is the California Natural product you use (Chicken and
> Rice), it looks excellent. I may just get it if I can find it
> locally. The question is can I balance it with her Hills z/d
> low allergan and not upset her stomach. I just paid $19 for the
> 4 lb. bag of the z/d at the vet's office. How is their canned
> food?

That's it, yes. All of mine except Bonnie will eat the CN canned,
but not regularly. Bonnie will only eat Wellness Turkey canned
food, and dry CN for her other meal. She is one that needs to lose
weight. Former feral; food deprivation issues from her feral days.
The others will occasionally eat the Wellness canned varieties,
too.

--
Cheryl and her spoiled kitties

2fingah
December 14th 06, 03:56 AM
Cheryl wrote:

> --
> Cheryl and her spoiled kitties

cats, if you can't beat'em join'em
"don't tread on us"

even now, Jupiter is building an army against Lucy
Jupe is eating 2 full cans a day
her nipples are getting calloused.. so that's good
I know in women.. it's a painful transition

<charlie kills the power to the lights, knocks me to the floor across
the stage.. "calls me a dumbass!">

Rene S.
December 14th 06, 07:22 PM

> > Have you addressed the dust, chemical, fragrance, mold, etc. issues?
>
> There's no fragrances (except for the fabric softener my mom uses and good
> luck trying to tell her it may be a problem). I don't see any molds there
> and approaching the dust thing is like starting a war with her! She cleans
> alot, but doesn't realize that things like central air conditioning vents
> (that the cat loves to sit on in the winter when the heat is off), carpets,
> and furniture have microscopic mites all over them. She insists there's
> no mites in her apartment. What can I do?
> >
> > Honestly, why feed her dry at all? It always contains more grains, and
> > they are the chief allergens.
>
> Not the Hills z/d low allergan, though. Supposedly, hard food removes some
> tartar from an animal's teeth (and the poor thing lost most of her little
> teeth when she was younger).

I recommend you get this book and give it to your mom:
http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Allergies-Alfred-Plechner/dp/0961545208/sr=8-1/qid=1166042224/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-2882780-5388731?ie=UTF8&s=books

As far as dry food removing tartar from a cat's teeth, that's pretty
much bogus. Most cats don't chew their food anyway.

Outsider
December 14th 06, 10:58 PM
"Spot" > wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I have to agree that the Fancy Fease is the least of the problems.
> Most cats do much better on Fancy Feast because it is better quality
> food without all the fillers.
>
> My mother has a cat with the same problem and I can tell you it's more
> of a seasonal allergy type reaction and an emotional response.

Same here,

Zak has some kind of very serious skin alergy. He licks almost all the
skin off his belly during the alergy season and very few things have helped
him but Fancy Feast roast turkey with Gravy does NOT cause alergic reaction
for him.

Andy

cybercat
December 15th 06, 01:02 AM
> wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote in :
>

>> "Cheryl" > wrote >
>>
>>>I don't agree that wheat and other glutons are the *most*
>>> common triggers, though. Fish is very high on the list along with
>>> egg, IIRC. Wheat is somewhere on the list for common cat allergy
>>> triggers, though, but surprisingly corn isn't.
>>>

>> FWIW, Gracie does not like varieties with fish or egg. She does
>> eat the ones with wheat gluten on occasion. She loves the beef
>> and chicken and liver varieties, and it is on these that she has
>> had the fewest asthma/Egc outbreaks.
>>

> Which flavor of Fancy Feast DOESN'T include several protein sources in the
> list of ingredients?
>
> Why can't they make it easy on us and create a low allergan Fancy Feast
> flavor!?

Why do you think different protein sources cause allergies?

December 15th 06, 01:03 AM
"none" > wrote

> I'm convinced those carpets worsened my allergies through the years when I
> lived there.
>>
>> Please go with the Depo, and lay off the dry food altogether if you
>> can. Convenience is the only reason I can see for feeding it.
>

> I'll try but I've already gotten several calls since I suggested the
> shots,
> and the calls weren't very pleasant.

Calls?

doyouhearwhatihear
December 15th 06, 01:39 AM
cybercat wrote:

> Calls?

ooo, you're ass is glowing red

DO YOU YEILD WOMAN

December 15th 06, 03:50 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in news:4581e756$0$15565$88260bb3
@free.teranews.com:

>> Why can't they make it easy on us and create a low allergan Fancy Feast
>> flavor!?
>
> Why do you think different protein sources cause allergies?

That's what my vet suggested. He says the only way to tell if the food is
causing the allergies is to isolate the protein source. If the food
contains several sources, then you can't accomplish that. That's why the
Hills PD foods for cats with skin problems usually have one hydrolized
protein in there. I think Royal Canin does the same thing.

It doesn't matter at this point. There's probably no way to get a cat to
eat the stuff after she starts with Fancy Feast.

December 15th 06, 04:03 AM
"Rene S." > wrote in
ups.com:

> I recommend you get this book and give it to your mom:
> http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Allergies-Alfred-Plechner/dp/0961545208/sr=8-
> 1/qid=1166042224/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-2882780-5388731?ie=UTF8&s=books
>
> As far as dry food removing tartar from a cat's teeth, that's pretty
> much bogus. Most cats don't chew their food anyway.

From a glimpse of the reviews, it appears he also believes in the protein
theory and eschews the commercial cat foods.

So what foods does he recommend. By "commercial", does he also mean the
prescription foods that have just hydrolized chicken protein, or the
rabbit, veal, or venison foods?

By the way, this bood was published in 1985. Haven't theories changed
since then?

(Rene - I admire your newsreaders ability to get that long link in without
it wrapping to the next line).

December 15th 06, 04:05 AM
Cheryl > wrote in news:[email protected]
130.133.1.4:

> That's it, yes. All of mine except Bonnie will eat the CN canned,
> but not regularly. Bonnie will only eat Wellness Turkey canned
> food, and dry CN for her other meal. She is one that needs to lose
> weight. Former feral; food deprivation issues from her feral days.
> The others will occasionally eat the Wellness canned varieties,
> too.

I'll give Wellness a try again (but I still wish Fancy Feast would
introduce a line that's more along the lines of California Natural).

Rene S.
December 15th 06, 04:12 PM
> From a glimpse of the reviews, it appears he also believes in the protein
> theory and eschews the commercial cat foods.
>
> So what foods does he recommend. By "commercial", does he also mean the
> prescription foods that have just hydrolized chicken protein, or the
> rabbit, veal, or venison foods?
>
> By the way, this bood was published in 1985. Haven't theories changed
> since then?
>
> (Rene - I admire your newsreaders ability to get that long link in without
> it wrapping to the next line).

My personal experience with prescription foods is that they are garbage
(some of the ingredient lists are downright scary), so I would
certainly eliminate those. No, not all commercial foods are taboo.
There are a number of high-quality commericial foods (Wellness,
Nature's Variety, Innova).

No, theories haven't changed. The author was way ahead in his thinking
when the book was published, so the information still stands.

Rene S.
December 15th 06, 04:48 PM
> From a glimpse of the reviews, it appears he also believes in the protein
> theory and eschews the commercial cat foods.
>
> So what foods does he recommend. By "commercial", does he also mean the
> prescription foods that have just hydrolized chicken protein, or the
> rabbit, veal, or venison foods?
>
> By the way, this bood was published in 1985. Haven't theories changed
> since then?
>
> (Rene - I admire your newsreaders ability to get that long link in without
> it wrapping to the next line).

My personal experience with prescription foods is that they are garbage
(some of the ingredient lists are downright scary), so I would
certainly eliminate those. No, not all commercial foods are taboo.
There are a number of high-quality commericial foods (Wellness,
Nature's Variety, Innova).

No, theories haven't changed. The author was way ahead in his thinking
when the book was published, so the information still stands.

Rene S.
December 15th 06, 08:43 PM
> My personal experience with prescription foods is that they are garbage
> (some of the ingredient lists are downright scary), so I would
> certainly eliminate those. No, not all commercial foods are taboo.
> There are a number of high-quality commericial foods (Wellness,
> Nature's Variety, Innova).
>
> No, theories haven't changed. The author was way ahead in his thinking
> when the book was published, so the information still stands.

Sorry about the double post. Google kept giving me error messages, so I
didn't think either message went through. argh.

December 17th 06, 06:40 PM
"Rene S." > wrote in news:1166194329.474336.9900
@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> My personal experience with prescription foods is that they are garbage
> (some of the ingredient lists are downright scary), so I would
> certainly eliminate those. No, not all commercial foods are taboo.
> There are a number of high-quality commericial foods (Wellness,
> Nature's Variety, Innova).

I see what you mean. I see some preservatives in the Hills low allergen:

This is the Hills Science Diet z/d low allergen:

http://www.hillspet.com/zSkin_2/products/product_details.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%
3Eprd_id=845524441760715&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302037389&bmUID=
1166328634442

Ingredients:

Rice Protein Concentrate, Brewers Rice, Hydrolyzed Chicken Liver, Soybean
Oil (preserved with BHA, propyl gallate and citric acid), Powdered
Cellulose, Hydrolyzed Chicken, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride,
Glyceryl Monostearate, Choline Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, vitamins
(Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C),
Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate,
Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride,
Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement,) Iodized Salt, Calcium Sulfate,
Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous
Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Ethoxyquin (a preservative),
Beta-Carotene.

As a comparison, this is the Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach:

Ingredients:
Lamb, brewers rice, chicken meal, corn gluten meal, wheat gluten, egg
product, soybean meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form
of Vitamin E), oat meal, fish meal, animal digest, soybean oil, potassium
chloride, phosphoric acid, calcium carbonate, salt, choline chloride,
zinc proteinate, Vitamin E supplement, taurine, manganese proteinate,
ferrous sulfate, ascorbic acid (source of Vitamin C), niacin, copper
proteinate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine
mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine
hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate,
biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K
activity), sodium selenite.
B-4617

I just looked at the Innova site and didn't realize they make California
Natural, too.

I'm going to try to find Innova or California Natural and see if she will
eat it. One problem is constantly changing foods. I'd like to find one
already and stick with it (and hope her skin clears up also!).

PawsForThought
December 17th 06, 09:16 PM
Rene S. wrote:

> I recommend you get this book and give it to your mom:
> http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Allergies-Alfred-Plechner/dp/0961545208/sr=8-1/qid=1166042224/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-2882780-5388731?ie=UTF8&s=books

I have that book and it's very good.

PawsForThought
December 17th 06, 09:20 PM
wrote:
I just looked at the Innova site and didn't realize they make
California
> Natural, too.
>
> I'm going to try to find Innova or California Natural and see if she will
> eat it. One problem is constantly changing foods. I'd like to find one
> already and stick with it (and hope her skin clears up also!).

I think they also make Evo, a food that is grain free, that you might
want to try. I've heard good things about it. I got a small sample of
it and decided to give some to my cats as a treat (their main diet is
homemade raw). They really liked it.

Cheryl
December 17th 06, 09:54 PM
On Sun 17 Dec 2006 04:16:44p, PawsForThought wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com>:

> Rene S. wrote:
>>
>> I recommend you get this book and give it to your mom:
>> http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Allergies-Alfred-Plechner/dp/096154520
>> 8/sr=8-1/qid=1166042224/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-2882780-5388731?ie=U
>> TF8&s=books
>
> I have that book and it's very good.

I do, too, and it goes into a few theories about compounded
allergies at certain times of the year, and how they can cause
symptoms when allergens are abundent in multiple forms. A single
allergen like dust mites at one time of year may cause no real
symptoms, but add mold spores or pollen at another time of year and
you suddenly see skin erruptions. It doesn't mean your cat isn't
allergic to dust mites, but the combination is the key.

--
Cheryl