PDA

View Full Version : Blind cat adoption tips?


bookie
December 13th 06, 10:58 PM
dear all
i am seriously considering adopting an old cat who is blind, or rather
has had to have her eyes removed because of eye infections which woudl
not clear up. What i am wondering is how she will cope in a new house
and what i can do to make life easier for her to get about. I already
have one old-timer puss who is about 15 or 16yrs old, fairly laid back,
came from a house with other cats previously before I took her in so is
used to sharing her space although she has been an only cat for the
last 18 months with me, and I am wondering how best to approach
integrating them? any tips on this? I am worried that my old cat jessie
will not take to the new cat (mabel) and maybe bully her and mabel will
not be able to stand up for herself as she is blind and fairly
arthritic (mabel is also 16 yrs old but not nearly as spritely as
jessie puss), or do you think that jessie will be ok and not feel that
mabel is a threat because she is blind and so decrepit and will
therefore leave her alone?

I don't want to make life miserable for either of them by taking this
new one on. i wonder whether it would be better to leave mabel in the
shelter until such time that someone who doesnt' already have cats
comes along to take her home, but she has been there a long time
already and is not likely to be homed by anyone else in a hurry, what
do people think?

sensible answers only please, no stupid crap from sad ****s who don't
actually have cats but only post to this site to wind people up because
they have nothing else in their tragic little lives, you know who you
are.
cheers Bookie

MaryL
December 13th 06, 11:42 PM
"bookie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> dear all
> i am seriously considering adopting an old cat who is blind, or rather
> has had to have her eyes removed because of eye infections which woudl
> not clear up. What i am wondering is how she will cope in a new house
> and what i can do to make life easier for her to get about. I already
> have one old-timer puss who is about 15 or 16yrs old, fairly laid back,
> came from a house with other cats previously before I took her in so is
> used to sharing her space although she has been an only cat for the
> last 18 months with me, and I am wondering how best to approach
> integrating them? any tips on this? I am worried that my old cat jessie
> will not take to the new cat (mabel) and maybe bully her and mabel will
> not be able to stand up for herself as she is blind and fairly
> arthritic (mabel is also 16 yrs old but not nearly as spritely as
> jessie puss), or do you think that jessie will be ok and not feel that
> mabel is a threat because she is blind and so decrepit and will
> therefore leave her alone?
>
> I don't want to make life miserable for either of them by taking this
> new one on. i wonder whether it would be better to leave mabel in the
> shelter until such time that someone who doesnt' already have cats
> comes along to take her home, but she has been there a long time
> already and is not likely to be homed by anyone else in a hurry, what
> do people think?
>
> sensible answers only please, no stupid crap from sad ****s who don't
> actually have cats but only post to this site to wind people up because
> they have nothing else in their tragic little lives, you know who you
> are.
> cheers Bookie
>

Bookie,

I have a wonderful blind cat, Duffy. He is truly remarkable and has brought
an incredible amount of joy to our household. Duffy was approximately 5
years when I adopted him, and he has blind since birth. Like yours, he
spent several months in the shelter before I adopted him. I had some of the
same concerns you outlined, especially because I already had a cat (Holly)
who had previously been very aggressive toward any other cat in my vicinity.
She was so aggressive that we called her "the black tornado." I took a very
slow, cautious, measured approach to the introduction. In fact, I precisely
followed the advice of a friend who has had a great deal of experience in
introducing cats with different (and potentially conflicting) personalities.
It was a full 6 weeks before I left the two of them alone together at all
times. They now are a happy twosome. Depending on the personalities of
your cats, you may not need to take that much time, but it is always better
to go very slowly than to try to rush these introductions -- especially
given the circumstances you outlined.

I have previously written a fairly lengthy document on the introduction I
used. I have posted it in "bits and pieces" on this site over a period of
time, but I will be happy to email it to you if you want to read it. I am
posting links under my sig to a "pictorial history" of the introduction. In
particular, you might want to look at the temporary door we used on "Duffy's
room." That way, they could be close to each other without taking any
chances of an attack. In addition, look at the platter that I placed under
the door at meal time. Each cat was able to eat in very close proximity to
the other without actually being in the same room. Again, that was some
time into the introduction period. Incidentally, I spent a great deal of
time with Duffy during that period; I did not simply leave him alone in his
separate room. Also, I lavished loving and attention on Holly every time I
left Duffy's room because I did not want her to feel displaced and to
possibly become resentful of Duffy.

One thing I would like to emphasize is that Duffy adjusted *beautifully.*
He can do almost anything a sighted can do except run rapidly through the
house. Instead, he has his "vertical space." I have two sturdy cat trees
and some other climbing surfaces -- he loves to climb and is like a little
gymnast. I used carpeted surfaces in most instances, with only one sisal
pole on each cat tree, because he needs to be able to climb. Holly can
simply leap from one bed to another on the cat tree, but Duffy needs to be
able to use the poles for navigation.

Please fee free to contact me. And *thank you VERY much* for adopting this
kitty. (My email address attached to this message is valid except that you
first need to "take-out-the-litter.")

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Lesley
December 13th 06, 11:47 PM
bookie wrote:
> dear all
> i am seriously considering adopting an old cat who is blind, or rather
> has had to have her eyes removed because of eye infections

First of all a round of applause for being prepared to consider her!

Other than that I have no experience but there's someone on this
list...Forget her name but remeber she has 2 cats (like a lot of people
I remember her cats but not her name!) who has adopted Duffy who is
blind and also has Holly who is not so my contribution is keeping this
at the top of the list so I hope she will see it and reply..

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Lesley
December 13th 06, 11:48 PM
MaryL wrote:
>>
>>

There she is!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

MaryL
December 13th 06, 11:58 PM
"Lesley" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>
> MaryL wrote:
>>>
>>>
>
> There she is!
>
> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
>

Ha! I saw your earlier message. We probably sent our messages at just
about the same time. Like you, I remember the names of cats much better
than their hoomins. :o)

MaryL

bookie
December 14th 06, 12:02 AM
MaryL wrote:
> "bookie" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > dear all
> > i am seriously considering adopting an old cat who is blind, or rather
> > has had to have her eyes removed because of eye infections which woudl
> > not clear up. What i am wondering is how she will cope in a new house
> > and what i can do to make life easier for her to get about. I already
> > have one old-timer puss who is about 15 or 16yrs old, fairly laid back,
> > came from a house with other cats previously before I took her in so is
> > used to sharing her space although she has been an only cat for the
> > last 18 months with me, and I am wondering how best to approach
> > integrating them? any tips on this? I am worried that my old cat jessie
> > will not take to the new cat (mabel) and maybe bully her and mabel will
> > not be able to stand up for herself as she is blind and fairly
> > arthritic (mabel is also 16 yrs old but not nearly as spritely as
> > jessie puss), or do you think that jessie will be ok and not feel that
> > mabel is a threat because she is blind and so decrepit and will
> > therefore leave her alone?
> >
> > I don't want to make life miserable for either of them by taking this
> > new one on. i wonder whether it would be better to leave mabel in the
> > shelter until such time that someone who doesnt' already have cats
> > comes along to take her home, but she has been there a long time
> > already and is not likely to be homed by anyone else in a hurry, what
> > do people think?
> >
> > sensible answers only please, no stupid crap from sad ****s who don't
> > actually have cats but only post to this site to wind people up because
> > they have nothing else in their tragic little lives, you know who you
> > are.
> > cheers Bookie
> >
>
> Bookie,
>
> I have a wonderful blind cat, Duffy. He is truly remarkable and has brought
> an incredible amount of joy to our household. Duffy was approximately 5
> years when I adopted him, and he has blind since birth. Like yours, he
> spent several months in the shelter before I adopted him. I had some of the
> same concerns you outlined, especially because I already had a cat (Holly)
> who had previously been very aggressive toward any other cat in my vicinity.
> She was so aggressive that we called her "the black tornado." I took a very
> slow, cautious, measured approach to the introduction. In fact, I precisely
> followed the advice of a friend who has had a great deal of experience in
> introducing cats with different (and potentially conflicting) personalities.
> It was a full 6 weeks before I left the two of them alone together at all
> times. They now are a happy twosome. Depending on the personalities of
> your cats, you may not need to take that much time, but it is always better
> to go very slowly than to try to rush these introductions -- especially
> given the circumstances you outlined.
>
> I have previously written a fairly lengthy document on the introduction I
> used. I have posted it in "bits and pieces" on this site over a period of
> time, but I will be happy to email it to you if you want to read it. I am
> posting links under my sig to a "pictorial history" of the introduction. In
> particular, you might want to look at the temporary door we used on "Duffy's
> room." That way, they could be close to each other without taking any
> chances of an attack. In addition, look at the platter that I placed under
> the door at meal time. Each cat was able to eat in very close proximity to
> the other without actually being in the same room. Again, that was some
> time into the introduction period. Incidentally, I spent a great deal of
> time with Duffy during that period; I did not simply leave him alone in his
> separate room. Also, I lavished loving and attention on Holly every time I
> left Duffy's room because I did not want her to feel displaced and to
> possibly become resentful of Duffy.
>
> One thing I would like to emphasize is that Duffy adjusted *beautifully.*
> He can do almost anything a sighted can do except run rapidly through the
> house. Instead, he has his "vertical space." I have two sturdy cat trees
> and some other climbing surfaces -- he loves to climb and is like a little
> gymnast. I used carpeted surfaces in most instances, with only one sisal
> pole on each cat tree, because he needs to be able to climb. Holly can
> simply leap from one bed to another on the cat tree, but Duffy needs to be
> able to use the poles for navigation.
>
> Please fee free to contact me. And *thank you VERY much* for adopting this
> kitty. (My email address attached to this message is valid except that you
> first need to "take-out-the-litter.")
>
> MaryL
>
> Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
> http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
> http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")
thanks for your help, any tips are very welcome, both cats are very old
so they may just ignore each other with any luck. anyway jessie is
spending a lot of time snuggling inthe bottom of the wardrobe at
present so she may not even notice a new arrival.
if you can email me with any stuff on introductions that would be
great, i just can't leave this poor little furball inthe shelter, she
is so sweet and needs a home but all the people who go there go
straight for the fluffy kittens and younger pussies and I do not want
her to end her days there.
bizarrely enough she is also a calico just like jessie

do their other senses become heightened or is that just a myth?
B

MaryL
December 14th 06, 12:11 AM
"bookie" > wrote in message
ps.com...
>
> MaryL wrote:
>> "bookie" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > dear all
>> > i am seriously considering adopting an old cat who is blind, or rather
>> > has had to have her eyes removed because of eye infections which woudl
>> > not clear up. What i am wondering is how she will cope in a new house
>> > and what i can do to make life easier for her to get about. I already
>> > have one old-timer puss who is about 15 or 16yrs old, fairly laid back,
>> > came from a house with other cats previously before I took her in so is
>> > used to sharing her space although she has been an only cat for the
>> > last 18 months with me, and I am wondering how best to approach
>> > integrating them? any tips on this? I am worried that my old cat jessie
>> > will not take to the new cat (mabel) and maybe bully her and mabel will
>> > not be able to stand up for herself as she is blind and fairly
>> > arthritic (mabel is also 16 yrs old but not nearly as spritely as
>> > jessie puss), or do you think that jessie will be ok and not feel that
>> > mabel is a threat because she is blind and so decrepit and will
>> > therefore leave her alone?
>> >
>> > I don't want to make life miserable for either of them by taking this
>> > new one on. i wonder whether it would be better to leave mabel in the
>> > shelter until such time that someone who doesnt' already have cats
>> > comes along to take her home, but she has been there a long time
>> > already and is not likely to be homed by anyone else in a hurry, what
>> > do people think?
>> >
>> > sensible answers only please, no stupid crap from sad ****s who don't
>> > actually have cats but only post to this site to wind people up because
>> > they have nothing else in their tragic little lives, you know who you
>> > are.
>> > cheers Bookie
>> >
>>
>> Bookie,
>>
>> I have a wonderful blind cat, Duffy. He is truly remarkable and has
>> brought
>> an incredible amount of joy to our household. Duffy was approximately 5
>> years when I adopted him, and he has blind since birth. Like yours, he
>> spent several months in the shelter before I adopted him. I had some of
>> the
>> same concerns you outlined, especially because I already had a cat
>> (Holly)
>> who had previously been very aggressive toward any other cat in my
>> vicinity.
>> She was so aggressive that we called her "the black tornado." I took a
>> very
>> slow, cautious, measured approach to the introduction. In fact, I
>> precisely
>> followed the advice of a friend who has had a great deal of experience in
>> introducing cats with different (and potentially conflicting)
>> personalities.
>> It was a full 6 weeks before I left the two of them alone together at all
>> times. They now are a happy twosome. Depending on the personalities of
>> your cats, you may not need to take that much time, but it is always
>> better
>> to go very slowly than to try to rush these introductions -- especially
>> given the circumstances you outlined.
>>
>> I have previously written a fairly lengthy document on the introduction I
>> used. I have posted it in "bits and pieces" on this site over a period
>> of
>> time, but I will be happy to email it to you if you want to read it. I
>> am
>> posting links under my sig to a "pictorial history" of the introduction.
>> In
>> particular, you might want to look at the temporary door we used on
>> "Duffy's
>> room." That way, they could be close to each other without taking any
>> chances of an attack. In addition, look at the platter that I placed
>> under
>> the door at meal time. Each cat was able to eat in very close proximity
>> to
>> the other without actually being in the same room. Again, that was some
>> time into the introduction period. Incidentally, I spent a great deal of
>> time with Duffy during that period; I did not simply leave him alone in
>> his
>> separate room. Also, I lavished loving and attention on Holly every time
>> I
>> left Duffy's room because I did not want her to feel displaced and to
>> possibly become resentful of Duffy.
>>
>> One thing I would like to emphasize is that Duffy adjusted *beautifully.*
>> He can do almost anything a sighted can do except run rapidly through the
>> house. Instead, he has his "vertical space." I have two sturdy cat
>> trees
>> and some other climbing surfaces -- he loves to climb and is like a
>> little
>> gymnast. I used carpeted surfaces in most instances, with only one sisal
>> pole on each cat tree, because he needs to be able to climb. Holly can
>> simply leap from one bed to another on the cat tree, but Duffy needs to
>> be
>> able to use the poles for navigation.
>>
>> Please fee free to contact me. And *thank you VERY much* for adopting
>> this
>> kitty. (My email address attached to this message is valid except that
>> you
>> first need to "take-out-the-litter.")
>>
>> MaryL
>>
>> Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
>> http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
>> http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")
> thanks for your help, any tips are very welcome, both cats are very old
> so they may just ignore each other with any luck. anyway jessie is
> spending a lot of time snuggling inthe bottom of the wardrobe at
> present so she may not even notice a new arrival.
> if you can email me with any stuff on introductions that would be
> great, i just can't leave this poor little furball inthe shelter, she
> is so sweet and needs a home but all the people who go there go
> straight for the fluffy kittens and younger pussies and I do not want
> her to end her days there.
> bizarrely enough she is also a calico just like jessie
>
> do their other senses become heightened or is that just a myth?
> B
>

Do you know if this kitty has been blind since birth (or at least for a
number of years), or is it age-related? I think that makes a difference.
Certainly, Duffy is a truly remarkable example of what a blind cat can do.
I thought when I adopted him that I would have to be very careful never to
move furniture. In actual fact, that has not been necessary. If I move a
chair, I will find him sitting on it 5 minutes later! Nevertheless, it is
important to *start* by leaving everything in the same position so your new
kitty can learn his way around. Also, any time you put him down after
holding him, put him on the floor where he can touch a familiar piece of
furniture. That will help him become acclimated -- in other words, don't
just put him down in the middle of the room as you might with a sighted cat.
Again, that soon wasn't necessary with Duffy, but you will be able to make
that decision as you watch and see how much "awareness" your cat has.

Here are still *more* pictures of Duffy and Holly. Here you can see how
Duffy has taken over and truly made this his domain. I will also email the
document to you.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
Duffy and Holly together: http://tinyurl.com/8b47e
Recent pics: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

bookie
December 14th 06, 12:15 AM
MaryL wrote:
> "bookie" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> >
> > MaryL wrote:
> >> "bookie" > wrote in message
> >> oups.com...
> >> > dear all
> >> > i am seriously considering adopting an old cat who is blind, or rather
> >> > has had to have her eyes removed because of eye infections which woudl
> >> > not clear up. What i am wondering is how she will cope in a new house
> >> > and what i can do to make life easier for her to get about. I already
> >> > have one old-timer puss who is about 15 or 16yrs old, fairly laid back,
> >> > came from a house with other cats previously before I took her in so is
> >> > used to sharing her space although she has been an only cat for the
> >> > last 18 months with me, and I am wondering how best to approach
> >> > integrating them? any tips on this? I am worried that my old cat jessie
> >> > will not take to the new cat (mabel) and maybe bully her and mabel will
> >> > not be able to stand up for herself as she is blind and fairly
> >> > arthritic (mabel is also 16 yrs old but not nearly as spritely as
> >> > jessie puss), or do you think that jessie will be ok and not feel that
> >> > mabel is a threat because she is blind and so decrepit and will
> >> > therefore leave her alone?
> >> >
> >> > I don't want to make life miserable for either of them by taking this
> >> > new one on. i wonder whether it would be better to leave mabel in the
> >> > shelter until such time that someone who doesnt' already have cats
> >> > comes along to take her home, but she has been there a long time
> >> > already and is not likely to be homed by anyone else in a hurry, what
> >> > do people think?
> >> >
> >> > sensible answers only please, no stupid crap from sad ****s who don't
> >> > actually have cats but only post to this site to wind people up because
> >> > they have nothing else in their tragic little lives, you know who you
> >> > are.
> >> > cheers Bookie
> >> >
> >>
> >> Bookie,
> >>
> >> I have a wonderful blind cat, Duffy. He is truly remarkable and has
> >> brought
> >> an incredible amount of joy to our household. Duffy was approximately 5
> >> years when I adopted him, and he has blind since birth. Like yours, he
> >> spent several months in the shelter before I adopted him. I had some of
> >> the
> >> same concerns you outlined, especially because I already had a cat
> >> (Holly)
> >> who had previously been very aggressive toward any other cat in my
> >> vicinity.
> >> She was so aggressive that we called her "the black tornado." I took a
> >> very
> >> slow, cautious, measured approach to the introduction. In fact, I
> >> precisely
> >> followed the advice of a friend who has had a great deal of experience in
> >> introducing cats with different (and potentially conflicting)
> >> personalities.
> >> It was a full 6 weeks before I left the two of them alone together at all
> >> times. They now are a happy twosome. Depending on the personalities of
> >> your cats, you may not need to take that much time, but it is always
> >> better
> >> to go very slowly than to try to rush these introductions -- especially
> >> given the circumstances you outlined.
> >>
> >> I have previously written a fairly lengthy document on the introduction I
> >> used. I have posted it in "bits and pieces" on this site over a period
> >> of
> >> time, but I will be happy to email it to you if you want to read it. I
> >> am
> >> posting links under my sig to a "pictorial history" of the introduction.
> >> In
> >> particular, you might want to look at the temporary door we used on
> >> "Duffy's
> >> room." That way, they could be close to each other without taking any
> >> chances of an attack. In addition, look at the platter that I placed
> >> under
> >> the door at meal time. Each cat was able to eat in very close proximity
> >> to
> >> the other without actually being in the same room. Again, that was some
> >> time into the introduction period. Incidentally, I spent a great deal of
> >> time with Duffy during that period; I did not simply leave him alone in
> >> his
> >> separate room. Also, I lavished loving and attention on Holly every time
> >> I
> >> left Duffy's room because I did not want her to feel displaced and to
> >> possibly become resentful of Duffy.
> >>
> >> One thing I would like to emphasize is that Duffy adjusted *beautifully.*
> >> He can do almost anything a sighted can do except run rapidly through the
> >> house. Instead, he has his "vertical space." I have two sturdy cat
> >> trees
> >> and some other climbing surfaces -- he loves to climb and is like a
> >> little
> >> gymnast. I used carpeted surfaces in most instances, with only one sisal
> >> pole on each cat tree, because he needs to be able to climb. Holly can
> >> simply leap from one bed to another on the cat tree, but Duffy needs to
> >> be
> >> able to use the poles for navigation.
> >>
> >> Please fee free to contact me. And *thank you VERY much* for adopting
> >> this
> >> kitty. (My email address attached to this message is valid except that
> >> you
> >> first need to "take-out-the-litter.")
> >>
> >> MaryL
> >>
> >> Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
> >> http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
> >> http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")
> > thanks for your help, any tips are very welcome, both cats are very old
> > so they may just ignore each other with any luck. anyway jessie is
> > spending a lot of time snuggling inthe bottom of the wardrobe at
> > present so she may not even notice a new arrival.
> > if you can email me with any stuff on introductions that would be
> > great, i just can't leave this poor little furball inthe shelter, she
> > is so sweet and needs a home but all the people who go there go
> > straight for the fluffy kittens and younger pussies and I do not want
> > her to end her days there.
> > bizarrely enough she is also a calico just like jessie
> >
> > do their other senses become heightened or is that just a myth?
> > B
> >
>
> Do you know if this kitty has been blind since birth (or at least for a
> number of years), or is it age-related? I think that makes a difference.
> Certainly, Duffy is a truly remarkable example of what a blind cat can do.
> I thought when I adopted him that I would have to be very careful never to
> move furniture. In actual fact, that has not been necessary. If I move a
> chair, I will find him sitting on it 5 minutes later! Nevertheless, it is
> important to *start* by leaving everything in the same position so your new
> kitty can learn his way around. Also, any time you put him down after
> holding him, put him on the floor where he can touch a familiar piece of
> furniture. That will help him become acclimated -- in other words, don't
> just put him down in the middle of the room as you might with a sighted cat.
> Again, that soon wasn't necessary with Duffy, but you will be able to make
> that decision as you watch and see how much "awareness" your cat has.
>
> Here are still *more* pictures of Duffy and Holly. Here you can see how
> Duffy has taken over and truly made this his domain. I will also email the
> document to you.
>
> MaryL
>
> Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
> Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
> Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
> Duffy and Holly together: http://tinyurl.com/8b47e
> Recent pics: http://tinyurl.com/clal7
no she was not blind since birth she had one eye removed due to an
infection, then when she went into the shelter she had to have the
other removed as it too was infected and could not be saved by the vet.
She just has 2 hollows where her lovely eyes should be, such a shame.
she has foudn her way around the centre, she lives in the reception
area not in a pen so she potters about most of the time.
haven't moved any furniture around in this house in the last 5 years of
living here so not about to start moving anything now, I'm too lazy.

Cheryl
December 14th 06, 01:10 AM
On Wed 13 Dec 2006 07:11:08p, MaryL wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> Here are still *more* pictures of Duffy and Holly. Here you can
> see how Duffy has taken over and truly made this his domain.

This one still completely amazes me. How he got up there without
knocking everything over is truely a tribute to his abilities.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=3&uid=2364916&gid=4688654&&&&imgid=103462948

--
Cheryl

MaryL
December 14th 06, 01:22 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
...
> On Wed 13 Dec 2006 07:11:08p, MaryL wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> >:
>
>> Here are still *more* pictures of Duffy and Holly. Here you can
>> see how Duffy has taken over and truly made this his domain.
>
> This one still completely amazes me. How he got up there without
> knocking everything over is truely a tribute to his abilities.
>
> http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=3&uid=2364916&gid=4688654&&&&imgid=103462948
>
> --
> Cheryl
>

Yes, I feel the same way. He got up *and* down without doing any damage at
all. Fortunately, I had finished that painting several days earlier, so it
was dry enough not to leave oil all over Duffy.

MaryL

Luna's Mom
December 14th 06, 04:53 AM
bookie wrote:
> dear all
> i am seriously considering adopting an old cat who is blind, or rather
> has had to have her eyes removed because of eye infections which woudl
> not clear up. What i am wondering is how she will cope in a new house
> and what i can do to make life easier for her to get about. I already
> have one old-timer puss who is about 15 or 16yrs old, fairly laid back,
> came from a house with other cats previously before I took her in so is
> used to sharing her space although she has been an only cat for the
> last 18 months with me, and I am wondering how best to approach
> integrating them? any tips on this? I am worried that my old cat jessie
> will not take to the new cat (mabel) and maybe bully her and mabel will
> not be able to stand up for herself as she is blind and fairly
> arthritic (mabel is also 16 yrs old but not nearly as spritely as
> jessie puss), or do you think that jessie will be ok and not feel that
> mabel is a threat because she is blind and so decrepit and will
> therefore leave her alone?
>
> I don't want to make life miserable for either of them by taking this
> new one on. i wonder whether it would be better to leave mabel in the
> shelter until such time that someone who doesnt' already have cats
> comes along to take her home, but she has been there a long time
> already and is not likely to be homed by anyone else in a hurry, what
> do people think?
>
> sensible answers only please, no stupid crap from sad ****s who don't
> actually have cats but only post to this site to wind people up because
> they have nothing else in their tragic little lives, you know who you
> are.
> cheers Bookie
>

I really hope you adopt Mabel. I think that Jessie will adapt fine if
she is as laid back as you say. I had a wonderful Siamese named Dudley
with me for the past 2 years. We sort of inherited him as his mommy died
and she was a friend of the family. Anyway, point is, he was blind AND
deaf and 12 years old with a host of health problems. Oh boy. It's hard
to talk about him. He just went to the bridge overnight on August 28th,
so my heart is still pretty broken.

When he first got here, we didn't even KNOW that he was deaf and blind.
I have to say that it was absolutely amazing to me how he learned his
way around our house. YOu definitely want to be careful about moving
furniture around, but Dudley adapted well to any and all changes that
happened here!!!! My other baby, Luna, was never fond of Duds. She
basically just tolerated him. Sometimes she'd try to swat at him and
stuff and he WOULD fight back. It was kinda funny. Usually though, she'd
just end up running away. Even though he tried to find her and did a
good job following her scent, he'd eventually lose her completely. I
don't think it is a myth that their other senses are heightened. I think
that dudley's nose worked overtime!!!! :)

I say give it a try. follow MaryL's suggestions on
separation/integration and I think you will have one happily purring
household in no time.

What a wonderful thing for Mabel.
Post pics when you bring her home!!!!! :):):)

Pam

Phil P.
December 14th 06, 12:44 PM
"bookie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> dear all
> i am seriously considering adopting an old cat who is blind, or rather
> has had to have her eyes removed because of eye infections which woudl
> not clear up. What i am wondering is how she will cope in a new house
> and what i can do to make life easier for her to get about.

After she's in your house for a few weeks, you won't believe she's blind!
Blind cats are brilliantly adaptable creatures! Just get her toys that make
noise- some with little bells inside. If your other cat can handle wearing
a break-away collar, get her one with a little bell so she doesn't startle
your blind cat. The bell with also help her follow your other cat around.

Here're some pictures of one of our blind cats. Same circumstances as yours-
severe infection in the eyes + ringworm all over her face. She recovered and
adapted so well that if you didn't see her face you wouldn't know she was
blind. She runs all over the house and even *jumps* and lands with
pin-point accuracy! She's amazing!

http://maxshouse.com/bitsys_page.htm

The cats of this world need more people like you!

Best of luck & congratulations!

Phil

Rene S.
December 15th 06, 09:54 PM
bookie wrote:
> dear all
> i am seriously considering adopting an old cat who is blind, or rather
> has had to have her eyes removed because of eye infections which woudl
> not clear up. What i am wondering is how she will cope in a new house
> and what i can do to make life easier for her to get about. I already
> have one old-timer puss who is about 15 or 16yrs old, fairly laid back,
> came from a house with other cats previously before I took her in so is
> used to sharing her space although she has been an only cat for the
> last 18 months with me, and I am wondering how best to approach
> integrating them? any tips on this? I am worried that my old cat jessie
> will not take to the new cat (mabel) and maybe bully her and mabel will
> not be able to stand up for herself as she is blind and fairly
> arthritic (mabel is also 16 yrs old but not nearly as spritely as
> jessie puss), or do you think that jessie will be ok and not feel that
> mabel is a threat because she is blind and so decrepit and will
> therefore leave her alone?

Hello,
MaryL has already given you some wonderful advice. Thank you for
thinking (and hopefully adopting) this kitty! I currently have a 6 yo
cat who is blind in one eye and "impaired" in the other (born with
cataracts in both eyes). He adapted wonderfully and I can't even tell
he has a disability. In fact, I've heard stories of owners whose cats
had gone blind, but they adapted so well, the owners didn't even know
until much later.

-L.
December 16th 06, 01:18 AM
Phil P. wrote:
>
> Here're some pictures of one of our blind cats. Same circumstances as yours-
> severe infection in the eyes + ringworm all over her face.

My God, Phil, that is one of the worse cases of eye/face infection I
have seen. Please tell me she was outdoors and not an *owned* cat.

-L.

bookie
December 16th 06, 04:01 AM
-L. wrote:
> Phil P. wrote:
> >
> > Here're some pictures of one of our blind cats. Same circumstances as yours-
> > severe infection in the eyes + ringworm all over her face.
>
> My God, Phil, that is one of the worse cases of eye/face infection I
> have seen. Please tell me she was outdoors and not an *owned* cat.
>
> -L.
it does look really grim, must have been horribly painful, was someone
supposed to be looking after her when she got into this state? did you
manage to find that person and break their legs? i would have found it
hard not to myself. Poor little mite, how come it affected her
beautiful face or did it affect elsewhere too?

absolutely terrible

Phil P.
December 17th 06, 07:32 AM
"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...
>
> Phil P. wrote:
> >
> > Here're some pictures of one of our blind cats. Same circumstances as
yours-
> > severe infection in the eyes + ringworm all over her face.
>
> My God, Phil, that is one of the worse cases of eye/face infection I
> have seen. Please tell me she was outdoors and not an *owned* cat.

She was definitely an owned cat at some point because she loves being pet
and held. I think she might have been dumped because of her condition since
she was found wandering around in circles meowing in the street.

-L.
December 17th 06, 10:50 AM
Phil P. wrote:
>
> She was definitely an owned cat at some point because she loves being pet
> and held. I think she might have been dumped because of her condition since
> she was found wandering around in circles meowing in the street.

It's **** like that which makes me hate people.

-L.

bookie
December 17th 06, 08:53 PM
>
> She was definitely an owned cat at some point because she loves being pet
> and held. I think she might have been dumped because of her condition since
> she was found wandering around in circles meowing in the street.

that is ****ing awful, that someone takes on an animal and then dumps
it when that animals need help the most, makes me ashamed to be human
really. This happens all the time and it really sickens me; people
ignore their responsibilites of properly looking after a pet, they shun
that responsibility which we as a species took on centuries ago when we
domesticated these animals for our benefit to catch vermin etc. We owe
these animals a duty of care and to allow an animal who has loved us
and been there for us and who we have got accustomed to a certain level
of comfort and security to continue in such pain and suffering is
unforgiveable, it is evil really to do this kind of thing.
i believe in 'what goes around comes around' and i truly hope it really
happens in this case to the scum who left her in this state

B

IBen Getiner
December 17th 06, 09:28 PM
bookie wrote:
> dear all
> i am seriously considering adopting an old cat who is blind, or rather
> has had to have her eyes removed because of eye infections which woudl
> not clear up. What i am wondering is how she will cope in a new house
> and what i can do to make life easier for her to get about.

One thing's for sure... You'll need a high-sided littler box. IBen
involved with a blind cat before. When it took a dump, it would
constantly let it's rump hang over the side (since it couldn't see a
thing). Another little tip,... don't be rearranging the furniture. They
get used to everything being in the same place. It's kinda funny with
the kids, but we know it's not really funny at all, watching Kit-Kat
walking around with a bruised nose all the time.
Just take heed of the little box thing. That's my advice..

To the rest of you.... I know you're reading this. And I know the
drill. Just wanted to let you know I'll be here for awhile. If any of
you wanted to take a vacation, now's the time. Believe me.
IBen Getiner

LC
December 18th 06, 02:31 AM
One handed typist "IBen Getiner" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> To the rest of you.... I know you're reading this. And I know the
> drill. Just wanted to let you know I'll be here for awhile. If any of
> you wanted to take a vacation, now's the time. Believe me.

Looks like IBen's "wife" <snicker> has left him (without an air pump to
inflate "her"):

"I am going away for a while. I will not be back here or in any of these
groups for a spell. These late nite hours.... Oh, MAN. I just can't
keep this up. I have a real life (whether you believe it or not) and
there are others in it. This **** has just got to go."
From: "IBen Getiner" >, obviously has no "real life".
Message-ID: . com>

Phil P.
December 18th 06, 06:24 AM
"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...
>
> Phil P. wrote:
> >
> > She was definitely an owned cat at some point because she loves being
pet
> > and held. I think she might have been dumped because of her condition
since
> > she was found wandering around in circles meowing in the street.
>
> It's **** like that which makes me hate people.

Then you'll just "love" Snowy's story...

http://maxshouse.com/urgent_matters/snowy-story-print.htm

Phil P.
December 18th 06, 06:30 AM
"bookie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>
> >
> > She was definitely an owned cat at some point because she loves being
pet
> > and held. I think she might have been dumped because of her condition
since
> > she was found wandering around in circles meowing in the street.
>
> that is ****ing awful, that someone takes on an animal and then dumps
> it when that animals need help the most, makes me ashamed to be human
> really. This happens all the time and it really sickens me; people
> ignore their responsibilites of properly looking after a pet, they shun
> that responsibility which we as a species took on centuries ago when we
> domesticated these animals for our benefit to catch vermin etc. We owe
> these animals a duty of care and to allow an animal who has loved us
> and been there for us and who we have got accustomed to a certain level
> of comfort and security to continue in such pain and suffering is
> unforgiveable, it is evil really to do this kind of thing.
> i believe in 'what goes around comes around' and i truly hope it really
> happens in this case to the scum who left her in this state
>

Dumping sick pets is nothing new. Practically of the animals we get that
have special needs we get from vets whose clients couldn't or just don't
want to be bothered treating their pets' illnesses. Some animals are even
punished for being sick.

These are the things that make tremble during adoptions- that's why I don't
handle very many. If you work in animal rescue or animal care, your faith
in human nature will go straight down the tubes- quickly- if not sooner.

-L.
December 18th 06, 06:58 AM
Phil P. wrote:
>
> Then you'll just "love" Snowy's story...
>
> http://maxshouse.com/urgent_matters/snowy-story-print.htm

Ya know, I have seen some ****ed-up repugnant **** during my lifetime.
I was once the first on the scene of a double-fatality vehicle crash.
But nothing makes me as sick in the soul as something like this.

-L.

IBen Getiner
December 19th 06, 04:34 AM
-L. wrote:
> Phil P. wrote:
> >
> > Then you'll just "love" Snowy's story...
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/urgent_matters/snowy-story-print.htm
>
> Ya know, I have seen some ****ed-up repugnant **** during my lifetime.
> I was once the first on the scene of a double-fatality vehicle crash.
> But nothing makes me as sick in the soul as something like this.
>
> -L.

Then you're one sick *******. The suffering of an animal cannot even
begin to be compared to that of a human being. That's the problem with
you and other warped mental-cases like yourself... You got your
priorities all ****ed up. Animals don't have FAMILIES, azzhole. They
don't have kids in school or mortage payments or a FUTURE, etc., etc.
You people...... you're about as spaced out and ****ing wacko as a
person can possibly get (and all by your own choice, I might add).
Besides... we don't know if someone 'poured' it of the dog. It was
probably and accident. Just the sort of thing we need the animal cops
investigating, so they use all their undeserved power to crucify some
otherwise-loving and caring pet owner.
Get a life, you dickless prick. See a shrink (if you kan find one that
doesn't think like you). You're damaged goods, whoever you are, if you
continue to make comparisons like the one you made above. Emotionally
crippled touchie-feely scew-ball....


IBen Getiner

IBen Getiner
December 19th 06, 09:07 AM
IBen Getiner wrote:
> bookie wrote:
> > dear all
> > i am seriously considering adopting an old cat who is blind, or rather
> > has had to have her eyes removed because of eye infections which woudl
> > not clear up. What i am wondering is how she will cope in a new house
> > and what i can do to make life easier for her to get about.
>
>
> To the rest of you.... I know you're reading this. And I know the
> drill. Just wanted to let you know I'll be here for awhile. If any of
> you wanted to take a vacation, now's the time. Believe me.
> IBen Getiner

LOL...!!


"Power to make multitudes run screaming in terror at the touch of my
little invisible finger. Even the moon's frightened of me - frightened
to death. The whole world is frightened to death!"

Claude Rains-- The Invisible Man, 1933

Phil P.
December 19th 06, 10:39 AM
"-L." > wrote in message
ps.com...
>
> Phil P. wrote:
> >
> > Then you'll just "love" Snowy's story...
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/urgent_matters/snowy-story-print.htm
>
> Ya know, I have seen some ****ed-up repugnant **** during my lifetime.
> I was once the first on the scene of a double-fatality vehicle crash.
> But nothing makes me as sick in the soul as something like this.

If whoever did this to Snowy is very lucky, the cops will get him before I
do.

bookie
December 19th 06, 12:49 PM
IBen Getiner wrote:
> -L. wrote:
> > Phil P. wrote:
> > >
> > > Then you'll just "love" Snowy's story...
> > >
> > > http://maxshouse.com/urgent_matters/snowy-story-print.htm
> >
> > Ya know, I have seen some ****ed-up repugnant **** during my lifetime.
> > I was once the first on the scene of a double-fatality vehicle crash.
> > But nothing makes me as sick in the soul as something like this.
> >
> > -L.
>
> Then you're one sick *******. The suffering of an animal cannot even
> begin to be compared to that of a human being. That's the problem with
> you and other warped mental-cases like yourself... You got your
> priorities all ****ed up. Animals don't have FAMILIES, azzhole. They
> don't have kids in school or mortage payments or a FUTURE, etc., etc.
> You people...... you're about as spaced out and ****ing wacko as a
> person can possibly get (and all by your own choice, I might add).
> Besides... we don't know if someone 'poured' it of the dog. It was
> probably and accident. Just the sort of thing we need the animal cops
> investigating, so they use all their undeserved power to crucify some
> otherwise-loving and caring pet owner.
> Get a life, you dickless prick. See a shrink (if you kan find one that
> doesn't think like you). You're damaged goods, whoever you are, if you
> continue to make comparisons like the one you made above. Emotionally
> crippled touchie-feely scew-ball....
>
>
> IBen Getiner
I am assuming that normally you would not be allowed to use a computer
without an adult present but there is noone in the house right now to
supervise you and you have been let loose, so a few points to bear in
mind...
1) i would hope that -L is dickless as she is a woman
2) this is a news groups about animals to which mainly animal lovers
and those who care about their welfare post to. These people choose to
spend their spare time rescuing abused animals before they spend their
time helping out 'needy' humans therefore it is highly likely that the
people who post here will hold the sorts of views that -L and myself
have expressed, so if you do not like to read these views or disagree
with them so vehemently i suggest you do not join the group or
contribute.
3) everyone is entitled to their own opinion without unqualified
inidviduals like yourself making comments such as 'see a shrink'. Are
you a qualified psychologist? i doubt it somehow.
4) I for one agree with -L as to me creatures such as the puppy inthe
court case in fulton county, the cat with ringworm who was allowed to
continue without veterinary care, adn this case of snowy which i have
no yet brought myself to read yet because I know it will upset me are
usually completely unable to prevent the abuse which we humans inflict
on them. think about it; is the cat with ringworm able to make itself
an appointment with the vet? was the puppy who was put into an oven and
baked to death by 2 psychotic (and I use that term inthe proper sense
here, meaning that they have no regard for the feelings of others and
possibly little awareness) teenagers abel to do much about that before
it slowly cooked? it was a trusting little soul who thought that all
humans were there to look after it, to play with and provide love and
affection and it was horribly let down.

as I have said before we huamns owe a duty of care to the animals we
take on and have domesticated and if it is in our power to stop their
suffering from disease or abuse then we should be doing so as most
animals can rarely do this for themselves. YOu said that animals do not
have families etc, you are very wrong? if a mother dog is killed who is
going to nurse her unweaned pups? what about the companion animals left
behind, we have all seen animals mourn the loss of a friend, you
obviously have not. and what about the human families left behind to
whom the animal has given years of companionship and support, they will
suffer too.

just think about what you say and who you are saying it to before you
start typing next time and you may not end up lookign like such a
complete cretin in future

B

CatNipped
December 19th 06, 03:38 PM
"bookie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>
> IBen Getiner wrote:
>> -L. wrote:
>> > Phil P. wrote:
>> > >
>> > > Then you'll just "love" Snowy's story...
>> > >
>> > > http://maxshouse.com/urgent_matters/snowy-story-print.htm
>> >
>> > Ya know, I have seen some ****ed-up repugnant **** during my lifetime.
>> > I was once the first on the scene of a double-fatality vehicle crash.
>> > But nothing makes me as sick in the soul as something like this.
>> >
>> > -L.
>>
>> Then you're one sick *******. The suffering of an animal cannot even
>> begin to be compared to that of a human being. That's the problem with
>> you and other warped mental-cases like yourself... You got your
>> priorities all ****ed up. Animals don't have FAMILIES, azzhole. They
>> don't have kids in school or mortage payments or a FUTURE, etc., etc.
>> You people...... you're about as spaced out and ****ing wacko as a
>> person can possibly get (and all by your own choice, I might add).
>> Besides... we don't know if someone 'poured' it of the dog. It was
>> probably and accident. Just the sort of thing we need the animal cops
>> investigating, so they use all their undeserved power to crucify some
>> otherwise-loving and caring pet owner.
>> Get a life, you dickless prick. See a shrink (if you kan find one that
>> doesn't think like you). You're damaged goods, whoever you are, if you
>> continue to make comparisons like the one you made above. Emotionally
>> crippled touchie-feely scew-ball....
>>
>>
>> IBen Getiner
> I am assuming that normally you would not be allowed to use a computer
> without an adult present but there is noone in the house right now to
> supervise you and you have been let loose, so a few points to bear in
> mind...
> 1) i would hope that -L is dickless as she is a woman
> 2) this is a news groups about animals to which mainly animal lovers
> and those who care about their welfare post to. These people choose to
> spend their spare time rescuing abused animals before they spend their
> time helping out 'needy' humans therefore it is highly likely that the
> people who post here will hold the sorts of views that -L and myself
> have expressed, so if you do not like to read these views or disagree
> with them so vehemently i suggest you do not join the group or
> contribute.
> 3) everyone is entitled to their own opinion without unqualified
> inidviduals like yourself making comments such as 'see a shrink'. Are
> you a qualified psychologist? i doubt it somehow.
> 4) I for one agree with -L as to me creatures such as the puppy inthe
> court case in fulton county, the cat with ringworm who was allowed to
> continue without veterinary care, adn this case of snowy which i have
> no yet brought myself to read yet because I know it will upset me are
> usually completely unable to prevent the abuse which we humans inflict
> on them. think about it; is the cat with ringworm able to make itself
> an appointment with the vet? was the puppy who was put into an oven and
> baked to death by 2 psychotic (and I use that term inthe proper sense
> here, meaning that they have no regard for the feelings of others and
> possibly little awareness) teenagers abel to do much about that before
> it slowly cooked? it was a trusting little soul who thought that all
> humans were there to look after it, to play with and provide love and
> affection and it was horribly let down.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but remember that humans were put into ovens
too, in Auswitch.

My point is that being cruel to animals often goes hand in hand with being
cruel to humans. Almost all serial killers started out their "careers" by
torturing animals. If a person is sick enough to want to cause pain to
*ANY* sensate creature, that person is a danger to society and should be
permanently removed from society.

It's a moot point to me which is worse - both are unacceptable.

Hugs,

CatNipped


> as I have said before we huamns owe a duty of care to the animals we
> take on and have domesticated and if it is in our power to stop their
> suffering from disease or abuse then we should be doing so as most
> animals can rarely do this for themselves. YOu said that animals do not
> have families etc, you are very wrong? if a mother dog is killed who is
> going to nurse her unweaned pups? what about the companion animals left
> behind, we have all seen animals mourn the loss of a friend, you
> obviously have not. and what about the human families left behind to
> whom the animal has given years of companionship and support, they will
> suffer too.
>
> just think about what you say and who you are saying it to before you
> start typing next time and you may not end up lookign like such a
> complete cretin in future
>
> B
>

IBen Getiner
December 21st 06, 07:25 AM
CatNipped wrote:
> "bookie" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > IBen Getiner wrote:
> >> -L. wrote:
> >> > Phil P. wrote:
> >> > >
> >> > > Then you'll just "love" Snowy's story...
> >> > >
> >> > > http://maxshouse.com/urgent_matters/snowy-story-print.htm
> >> >
> >> > Ya know, I have seen some ****ed-up repugnant **** during my lifetime.
> >> > I was once the first on the scene of a double-fatality vehicle crash.
> >> > But nothing makes me as sick in the soul as something like this.
> >> >
> >> > -L.
> >>
> >> Then you're one sick *******. The suffering of an animal cannot even
> >> begin to be compared to that of a human being. That's the problem with
> >> you and other warped mental-cases like yourself... You got your
> >> priorities all ****ed up. Animals don't have FAMILIES, azzhole. They
> >> don't have kids in school or mortage payments or a FUTURE, etc., etc.
> >> You people...... you're about as spaced out and ****ing wacko as a
> >> person can possibly get (and all by your own choice, I might add).
> >> Besides... we don't know if someone 'poured' it of the dog. It was
> >> probably and accident. Just the sort of thing we need the animal cops
> >> investigating, so they use all their undeserved power to crucify some
> >> otherwise-loving and caring pet owner.
> >> Get a life, you dickless prick. See a shrink (if you kan find one that
> >> doesn't think like you). You're damaged goods, whoever you are, if you
> >> continue to make comparisons like the one you made above. Emotionally
> >> crippled touchie-feely scew-ball....
> >>
> >>
> >> IBen Getiner
> > I am assuming that normally you would not be allowed to use a computer
> > without an adult present but there is noone in the house right now to
> > supervise you and you have been let loose, so a few points to bear in
> > mind...
> > 1) i would hope that -L is dickless as she is a woman
> > 2) this is a news groups about animals to which mainly animal lovers
> > and those who care about their welfare post to. These people choose to
> > spend their spare time rescuing abused animals before they spend their
> > time helping out 'needy' humans therefore it is highly likely that the
> > people who post here will hold the sorts of views that -L and myself
> > have expressed, so if you do not like to read these views or disagree
> > with them so vehemently i suggest you do not join the group or
> > contribute.
> > 3) everyone is entitled to their own opinion without unqualified
> > inidviduals like yourself making comments such as 'see a shrink'. Are
> > you a qualified psychologist? i doubt it somehow.
> > 4) I for one agree with -L as to me creatures such as the puppy inthe
> > court case in fulton county, the cat with ringworm who was allowed to
> > continue without veterinary care, adn this case of snowy which i have
> > no yet brought myself to read yet because I know it will upset me are
> > usually completely unable to prevent the abuse which we humans inflict
> > on them. think about it; is the cat with ringworm able to make itself
> > an appointment with the vet? was the puppy who was put into an oven and
> > baked to death by 2 psychotic (and I use that term inthe proper sense
> > here, meaning that they have no regard for the feelings of others and
> > possibly little awareness) teenagers abel to do much about that before
> > it slowly cooked? it was a trusting little soul who thought that all
> > humans were there to look after it, to play with and provide love and
> > affection and it was horribly let down.
>
> I'm not disagreeing with you, but remember that humans were put into ovens
> too, in Auswitch.
>
> My point is that being cruel to animals often goes hand in hand with being
> cruel to humans. Almost all serial killers started out their "careers" by
> torturing animals. If a person is sick enough to want to cause pain to
> *ANY* sensate creature, that person is a danger to society and should be
> permanently removed from society.
>
> It's a moot point to me which is worse - both are unacceptable.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
>
> > as I have said before we huamns owe a duty of care to the animals we
> > take on and have domesticated and if it is in our power to stop their
> > suffering from disease or abuse then we should be doing so as most
> > animals can rarely do this for themselves. YOu said that animals do not
> > have families etc, you are very wrong? if a mother dog is killed who is
> > going to nurse her unweaned pups? what about the companion animals left
> > behind, we have all seen animals mourn the loss of a friend, you
> > obviously have not. and what about the human families left behind to
> > whom the animal has given years of companionship and support, they will
> > suffer too.
> >
> > just think about what you say and who you are saying it to before you
> > start typing next time and you may not end up lookign like such a
> > complete cretin in future
> >
> > B
> >

Man, there's nothing I hate worse than a luke-warm wimp...


IBen Getiner

-L.
December 21st 06, 07:55 AM
CatNipped wrote:
> I'm not disagreeing with you, but remember that humans were put into ovens
> too, in Auswitch.
>
> My point is that being cruel to animals often goes hand in hand with being
> cruel to humans. Almost all serial killers started out their "careers" by
> torturing animals. If a person is sick enough to want to cause pain to
> *ANY* sensate creature, that person is a danger to society and should be
> permanently removed from society.
>
> It's a moot point to me which is worse - both are unacceptable.

Of course - but that's not the point I made. The point I made was I
have seen some awful things in my lifetime but purposeful cruelty is
something I still cannot stomach. I don't care if it is to a dog, cat
or human baby - it's all horrible.

-L.

-L.
December 21st 06, 07:58 AM
IBen Getiner wrote:
> -L. wrote:
> > Phil P. wrote:
> > >
> > > Then you'll just "love" Snowy's story...
> > >
> > > http://maxshouse.com/urgent_matters/snowy-story-print.htm
> >
> > Ya know, I have seen some ****ed-up repugnant **** during my lifetime.
> > I was once the first on the scene of a double-fatality vehicle crash.
> > But nothing makes me as sick in the soul as something like this.
> >
> > -L.
>
> Then you're one sick *******. The suffering of an animal cannot even
> begin to be compared to that of a human being.

You obviously cannot in context.


> That's the problem with
> you and other warped mental-cases like yourself... You got your
> priorities all ****ed up. Animals don't have FAMILIES, azzhole. They
> don't have kids in school or mortage payments or a FUTURE, etc., etc.
> You people...... you're about as spaced out and ****ing wacko as a
> person can possibly get (and all by your own choice, I might add).
> Besides... we don't know if someone 'poured' it of the dog. It was
> probably and accident. Just the sort of thing we need the animal cops
> investigating, so they use all their undeserved power to crucify some
> otherwise-loving and caring pet owner.
> Get a life, you dickless prick. See a shrink (if you kan find one that
> doesn't think like you). You're damaged goods, whoever you are, if you
> continue to make comparisons like the one you made above. Emotionally
> crippled touchie-feely scew-ball....
>

"Now, Now Benny...Go sit in yout time-out chair. I will come and get
you in four minutes if you have settled down."

-L.

-L.
December 21st 06, 08:01 AM
Phil P. wrote:
> These are the things that make tremble during adoptions- that's why I don't
> handle very many. If you work in animal rescue or animal care, your faith
> in human nature will go straight down the tubes- quickly- if not sooner.

You get steeled in some respects. I know that since I have been out of
the direct line of fire for awhile, I can't stomach things that used to
not phase me.

-L.

-L.
December 21st 06, 08:09 AM
bookie wrote:
> I am assuming that normally you would not be allowed to use a computer
> without an adult present but there is noone in the house right now to
> supervise you and you have been let loose, so a few points to bear in
> mind...

Just ignore him. He's insane.

> 1) i would hope that -L is dickless as she is a woman

I have bigger balls than most men, though, LOL...

> 2) this is a news groups about animals to which mainly animal lovers
> and those who care about their welfare post to. These people choose to
> spend their spare time rescuing abused animals before they spend their
> time helping out 'needy' humans

Not necessarily. I do what I can, where I can, regardless of species.
We are all part of the whole.


>therefore it is highly likely that the
> people who post here will hold the sorts of views that -L and myself
> have expressed, so if you do not like to read these views or disagree
> with them so vehemently i suggest you do not join the group or
> contribute.

He missed my point completely. Not surprising, in that he's touched in
the head.


> 3) everyone is entitled to their own opinion without unqualified
> inidviduals like yourself making comments such as 'see a shrink'. Are
> you a qualified psychologist? i doubt it somehow.

He can comment all he wants. Just consider the source, LOL...

> 4) I for one agree with -L as to me creatures such as the puppy inthe
> court case in fulton county, the cat with ringworm who was allowed to
> continue without veterinary care, adn this case of snowy which i have
> no yet brought myself to read yet because I know it will upset me are
> usually completely unable to prevent the abuse which we humans inflict
> on them. think about it; is the cat with ringworm able to make itself
> an appointment with the vet? was the puppy who was put into an oven and
> baked to death by 2 psychotic (and I use that term inthe proper sense
> here, meaning that they have no regard for the feelings of others and
> possibly little awareness) teenagers abel to do much about that before
> it slowly cooked? it was a trusting little soul who thought that all
> humans were there to look after it, to play with and provide love and
> affection and it was horribly let down.

That's what bothers me the most about these cases. The animals are so
helpless and trusting and will walk willingly into the situations of
abuse.

>
> as I have said before we huamns owe a duty of care to the animals we
> take on and have domesticated and if it is in our power to stop their
> suffering from disease or abuse then we should be doing so as most
> animals can rarely do this for themselves. YOu said that animals do not
> have families etc, you are very wrong? if a mother dog is killed who is
> going to nurse her unweaned pups? what about the companion animals left
> behind, we have all seen animals mourn the loss of a friend, you
> obviously have not. and what about the human families left behind to
> whom the animal has given years of companionship and support, they will
> suffer too.
>
> just think about what you say and who you are saying it to before you
> start typing next time and you may not end up lookign like such a
> complete cretin in future

Not likely. He is what he is and sadly, history repeats itself with
him.

-L.

IBen Getiner
December 21st 06, 08:31 AM
-L. wrote:
> CatNipped wrote:
> > I'm not disagreeing with you, but remember that humans were put into ovens
> > too, in Auswitch.
> >
> > My point is that being cruel to animals often goes hand in hand with being
> > cruel to humans. Almost all serial killers started out their "careers" by
> > torturing animals. If a person is sick enough to want to cause pain to
> > *ANY* sensate creature, that person is a danger to society and should be
> > permanently removed from society.
> >
> > It's a moot point to me which is worse - both are unacceptable.
>
> Of course - but that's not the point I made. The point I made was I
> have seen some awful things in my lifetime but purposeful cruelty is
> something I still cannot stomach. I don't care if it is to a dog, cat
> or human baby - it's all horrible.
>
> -L.

Agreed. But that isn't what you SAID.

You SAID....

"Ya know, I have seen some ****ed-up repugnant **** during my lifetime.

I was once the first on the scene of a double-fatality vehicle crash.
But nothing makes me as sick in the soul as something like this. "

THAT is what you said. And the point you make is just that: You've seen
human suffering of the worst kind, but THIS touches you more. An
animal's suffering. THIS.
You're only changing your tune now because I called you on it. If that
wasn't what you really meant, then you need to be more specific.
Although I highly doubt your new story, especially since your friend
backs me up concerning your mental state of spiraling affixia-rooted
sociopathic desegregation....
Oh... and in the future, don't try to LIE your way out of the hot seat
by trying to twist the record. I can cut and paste with the best of
them...


IBen Getiner

sheelagh
December 21st 06, 01:32 PM
>
> http://maxshouse.com/bitsys_page.htm
>
> The cats of this world need more people like you!
>
> Best of luck & congratulations!
>
> Phil
Hear Hear!!!
All the best to you Bookie,I really hope that all goes well for you.

I now understand Phil's cinicism-I have NEVER Been so shocked by such a
disturbing photograph as I was when I saw the photo of the cat with
Ringworm of the face,ever in my life.
It is disgusting,inhumane & downright wicked thing to do to a poor
defencless cat.I truely hope that the person who did this is
caught,brought forward & incarcerated for life.I was shocked and
disgusted to think that any human being could do such a terrible thing
to a cat.This has got to be one of the worst cases of neglect that I
have ever seen before.It leaves me with a lasting impression of "What
can I do to ensure that this never happens again"?
I may not be able to do it personally,but I would do anything that I
could do to make sure that this stops Right now!!
I too ,feel ashamed to be associated with humans If that is what they
do...I can understand your disechantment utterly & because I feel it as
well!!
S.

CatNipped
December 21st 06, 01:40 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...
>
> CatNipped wrote:
>> I'm not disagreeing with you, but remember that humans were put into
>> ovens
>> too, in Auswitch.
>>
>> My point is that being cruel to animals often goes hand in hand with
>> being
>> cruel to humans. Almost all serial killers started out their "careers"
>> by
>> torturing animals. If a person is sick enough to want to cause pain to
>> *ANY* sensate creature, that person is a danger to society and should be
>> permanently removed from society.
>>
>> It's a moot point to me which is worse - both are unacceptable.
>
> Of course - but that's not the point I made. The point I made was I
> have seen some awful things in my lifetime but purposeful cruelty is
> something I still cannot stomach. I don't care if it is to a dog, cat
> or human baby - it's all horrible.
>
> -L.

Yes, I know that, you know that - only Iben Getiner has missed the point so
badly that it didn't even mess up his hair as it flew by.

I was replying to Bookie who was talking about the teens who put a puppy in
the oven and slowly baked him to death, and pointing out that humans didn't
confine their sick imaginations to thinking of horrible ways to torture
animals - we've also done some pretty horrible things to each other as well.

And you're right, for me too accidental human death does not have the same
impact on my soul as deliberate infliction of pain on a sensate creature.
Anyone sick enough to do that needs to be swiftly and permanently removed
from our gene pool.

Hugs,

CatNipped

bookie
December 21st 06, 02:54 PM
CatNipped wrote:
> "-L." > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > CatNipped wrote:
> >> I'm not disagreeing with you, but remember that humans were put into
> >> ovens
> >> too, in Auswitch.
> >>
> >> My point is that being cruel to animals often goes hand in hand with
> >> being
> >> cruel to humans. Almost all serial killers started out their "careers"
> >> by
> >> torturing animals. If a person is sick enough to want to cause pain to
> >> *ANY* sensate creature, that person is a danger to society and should be
> >> permanently removed from society.
> >>
> >> It's a moot point to me which is worse - both are unacceptable.
> >
> > Of course - but that's not the point I made. The point I made was I
> > have seen some awful things in my lifetime but purposeful cruelty is
> > something I still cannot stomach. I don't care if it is to a dog, cat
> > or human baby - it's all horrible.
> >
> > -L.
>
> Yes, I know that, you know that - only Iben Getiner has missed the point so
> badly that it didn't even mess up his hair as it flew by.
>
> I was replying to Bookie who was talking about the teens who put a puppy in
> the oven and slowly baked him to death, and pointing out that humans didn't
> confine their sick imaginations to thinking of horrible ways to torture
> animals - we've also done some pretty horrible things to each other as well.
>
> And you're right, for me too accidental human death does not have the same
> impact on my soul as deliberate infliction of pain on a sensate creature.
> Anyone sick enough to do that needs to be swiftly and permanently removed
> from our gene pool.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
i agree,; willful cruelty to any creature is not the same as an
accident, that was what i was comparing, not cruelty to humans compared
to cruelty to puppies, although sometiimes for me (and me personally
and I am entitled to my opinion here and shoutign at me will not change
it) doing things like withholding medical help from an animal when that
animal can obviously not take itself to the vet is the worst, just
simply refusing to help a creature who is not in a position to help
itself or inflicting pain and suffering on a creature who cannot defend
itself. i am talking about deliberate harm here

bookie
December 21st 06, 03:06 PM
>
> That's what bothers me the most about these cases. The animals are so
> helpless and trusting and will walk willingly into the situations of
> abuse.
>
yes that is EXACTLY what i mean, they are so trusting, they think all
humans are goign to provide love, hugs, games and protection and
unfortunately that is not always the case, that is what upsets me most.

Outsider
December 21st 06, 04:34 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in
ups.com:

>
>>
>> http://maxshouse.com/bitsys_page.htm
>>
>> The cats of this world need more people like you!
>>
>> Best of luck & congratulations!
>>
>> Phil
> Hear Hear!!!
> All the best to you Bookie,I really hope that all goes well for you.
>
> I now understand Phil's cinicism-I have NEVER Been so shocked by such a
> disturbing photograph as I was when I saw the photo of the cat with
> Ringworm of the face,ever in my life.
> It is disgusting,inhumane & downright wicked thing to do to a poor
> defencless cat.I truely hope that the person who did this is
> caught,brought forward & incarcerated for life.I was shocked and
> disgusted to think that any human being could do such a terrible thing
> to a cat.This has got to be one of the worst cases of neglect that I
> have ever seen before.It leaves me with a lasting impression of "What
> can I do to ensure that this never happens again"?
> I may not be able to do it personally,but I would do anything that I
> could do to make sure that this stops Right now!!
> I too ,feel ashamed to be associated with humans If that is what they
> do...I can understand your disechantment utterly & because I feel it as
> well!!
> S.
>
>

We are such a strange lot, humanity. Capable of so much good or so much
evil.