PDA

View Full Version : Re: Easy way to wean cat off of Fancy Feast and onto Hills Prescription Diet? - HELP!

Spot
December 13th 06, 11:46 PM
I have to agree that the Fancy Fease is the least of the problems. Most
cats do much better on Fancy Feast because it is better quality food without
all the fillers.

My mother has a cat with the same problem and I can tell you it's more of a
seasonal allergy type reaction and an emotional response. It's a vicious
cycle you are creating by causing your mom to have more stress over the cat.
The cat cries for it's food, your mom gets stressed this causes the cat more
stress which in turn leads to more licking and chewing to itself. I've seen
it time and time again with my mom cat. Everytime there is some upheaval in
the house or change in schedule she goes to chewing herself and can make
herself sore and bald overnight. Every spring and fall she has the same
type of thing happen. After almost 15 years of it we have just taken to
getting her a depo shot twice a year and if it gets really really bad she
ends up on pills and sometimes valium.

To keep peace in the house and take the cat for the shots, let her feed it
the Fancy Fease and get the carpet cleaned while your moms out of the house.
Stanley Steamer can come in and be done in just a couple hours time.

Celeste

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> I'm trying to get my elderly mom to stop giving her cat (with a granuloma
>> like skin condition on her hind legs) Fancy Feast and try Hills low
>> allergen Z/D prescription diet formula to see if it was the Fancy Feast
>> that's the problem.
>
> Fancy Feast varieties with meat (and not byproducts) as the first
> ingredient
> have been part of what keeps my cat from having linear granuloma.
>
> More important has been controlling things like perfumes in litter and on
> me
> and my clothes, dust, mold, and cleaning agents.
>
> If you have not made serious efforts to control the above, do not put the
> cat through this. Fancy Feast is high protein, high moisture foods, many
> varieties with no grain or gluten, which ARE the main food allergens for
> cats. And, they find it delicious. And dry food is going to suck.
>
> Get the cat a Depo shot, control the allergens, and everyone, including
> your mother will be happy. My cat gets by on two Depo Medrol shots
> a year, and my vet told me they generally do not see adverse complications
> unless they are giving the shots more than once every two months.

Lynne
December 14th 06, 12:08 AM
on Wed, 13 Dec 2006 23:46:49 GMT, "Spot" > wrote:

> To keep peace in the house and take the cat for the shots, let her
> feed it the Fancy Fease and get the carpet cleaned while your moms out
> of the house. Stanley Steamer can come in and be done in just a couple
> hours time.

and do the upholstry, too. Until you eliminate potential environmental
allergans, changing the food is too drastic.

--
Lynne

December 14th 06, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

"Spot" > wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Subject: Re: Easy way to wean cat off of Fancy Feast and onto Hills
> Prescription Diet? - HELP! From: "Spot" >
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
>
> I have to agree that the Fancy Fease is the least of the problems.
> Most cats do much better on Fancy Feast because it is better quality
> food without all the fillers.
>
> My mother has a cat with the same problem and I can tell you it's more
> of a seasonal allergy type reaction and an emotional response.

Unfortunately, this cat seems to have it all year round. I wonder if my
mother's anxiety and depression compounds the problem as the cat sees and
hears her in her moods. I truly believe animals can sense this (as a
major anti-depressant commmercial currently running on TV shows).

After almost 15 years of it we have just taken to getting her
> a depo shot twice a year and if it gets really really bad she ends up
> on pills and sometimes valium.

So you would suggest the Depo Medrol? Does your cat seem out of sorts
for the first 2 days after the shot? Ours hid under the bed for a day
and seemed sad. She came back to herself after 2 days or so.

How was the Valium? Have you tried any anti-allergy pills like
Chlortrimeton (half of a 4 mg pill)?

> To keep peace in the house and take the cat for the shots, let her
> feed it the Fancy Fease and get the carpet cleaned while your moms out
> of the house.
>
> Celeste

She's never out of the house except for a trip to the supermarket and the
baker! LOL! How else do you think she manages to make all these phone
calls?!

Outsider
December 14th 06, 10:58 PM
"Spot" > wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I have to agree that the Fancy Fease is the least of the problems.
> Most cats do much better on Fancy Feast because it is better quality
> food without all the fillers.
>
> My mother has a cat with the same problem and I can tell you it's more
> of a seasonal allergy type reaction and an emotional response.

Same here,

Zak has some kind of very serious skin alergy. He licks almost all the
skin off his belly during the alergy season and very few things have helped
him but Fancy Feast roast turkey with Gravy does NOT cause alergic reaction
for him.

Andy