PDA

View Full Version : my cat got in the fridge!

December 15th 06, 09:51 AM
3 am in the morning and I shuffle downstairs to see if there is
anything to nibble on before bed. I open the door and lo and behold my
cat jumps out. I have NO IDEA how long she was in there. I am one of 7
people living in my house so it could have been anyone...the last time
I remember hearing footsteps downstairs was 12:30 am. my cat loves
jumping up into the fridge and we always pull her out but apparently
someone forgot. Everything that could be chewed through in the bottom
of the fridge has been chewed through but it doesn't look like she's
gotten into anything worse than some chicken strips.

Is she going to be okay? Would that excursion in the fridge have caused
damage? I flipped out when I saw it but she doesn't seem to be the
worse for wear, 10 minutes later her coat felt almost completely warm
and she was purring and rubbing right up against me eating her cat
food. I've already done a search here to see if anyone else had had
this happen for the length of time mine was stuck and it seems like my
cat should be ok but I'm still worried!

Thank you! :)

doyouhearwhatihear
December 15th 06, 01:36 PM
wrote:
<snip>
yeah, she'll be alright, thath's funny as hell

she won't worried...
with seven of you pulling on the knob, she had to eat while she could
she knew her minutes were numbered

was she angry that you ran her out?
i bet it's not her first time

m4816k
December 15th 06, 01:38 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
>3 am in the morning and I shuffle downstairs to see if there is
> anything to nibble on before bed. I open the door and lo and behold my
> cat jumps out. I have NO IDEA how long she was in there. I am one of 7
> people living in my house so it could have been anyone...the last time
> I remember hearing footsteps downstairs was 12:30 am. my cat loves
> jumping up into the fridge and we always pull her out but apparently
> someone forgot. Everything that could be chewed through in the bottom
> of the fridge has been chewed through but it doesn't look like she's
> gotten into anything worse than some chicken strips.
>
> Is she going to be okay? Would that excursion in the fridge have caused
> damage? I flipped out when I saw it but she doesn't seem to be the
> worse for wear, 10 minutes later her coat felt almost completely warm
> and she was purring and rubbing right up against me eating her cat
> food. I've already done a search here to see if anyone else had had
> this happen for the length of time mine was stuck and it seems like my
> cat should be ok but I'm still worried!
>
> Thank you! :)

Temperatures in the fridge aren't that low (unless she gets in the
freezer:-), so I don't think you should be worried. After prolonged time in
very cold weather cat would develop visible frostbites, especially on paws,
but I think she should stay in the fridge for a day or so for that to
happen. Even cats that are always indoors develop a winter coat, which
should protect the cat this time of year from even much lower temps (but
then, if you live in the southern hemisphere where it's summer now, you
might have a slight problem:). Persians, Norwegian forest cats, Maine coons,
Chratreux's and many other breeds don't mind even much colder "weather" than
that in your fridge. Good luck!

Lynne
December 15th 06, 02:13 PM
on Fri, 15 Dec 2006 08:51:52 GMT, wrote:

> Is she going to be okay? Would that excursion in the fridge have caused
> damage? I flipped out when I saw it but she doesn't seem to be the
> worse for wear, 10 minutes later her coat felt almost completely warm
> and she was purring and rubbing right up against me eating her cat
> food. I've already done a search here to see if anyone else had had
> this happen for the length of time mine was stuck and it seems like my
> cat should be ok but I'm still worried!

The real danger of a cat in the fridge has to do with running out of
oxygen. I have no idea how long that would take to happen, though.

My kitten kept running toward the fridge whenever we approached it and
then hopping in. We'd pull him out, he'd hop back in, rinse, repeat.
One day he ran to hop in just as I was letting go of the door and it
slammed, nearly catching him in the door. It scared him enough that he
now runs from it whenever the door is opened. I don't recommend trying
to time slamming the door just right to scare your cat, but perhaps you
can hide a coffee can with some marbles in it behind your back, open the
fridge, and when he hops in, shake the can to scare him. This was
recommended to me recently for teaching my kitten not to jump on the
counters.

--
Lynne