PDA

View Full Version : New Kitten

priscilla
December 16th 06, 12:44 AM
I have an abandoned kitten that I took to the vet 2 weeks ago. The vet
says he has a cold and to just wait it out. He hasn't gotten any
better. He is eating, which is a good sign, but I am worried. The vet
said it may take anywhere from 10-21 days for him to get better. It has
been 14 days so I wonder if it is premature to give the vet a call. Is
it strange that he has been sick for this long??

One more question... we are going away for 10 days for the holidays.
Will it be safe to take him on our 13 hour drive to my parents house
given his current health. i don't know if an animal boarding place
would take him since he is sick.

Any advice is much appreciated!!

Lesley
December 16th 06, 01:15 AM
priscilla wrote:
> I have an abandoned kitten that I took to the vet 2 weeks ago. The vet
> says he has a cold and to just wait it out. He hasn't gotten any
> better. He is eating, which is a good sign,

Has the vet prescribed anything?

Eating is a good sign, cats generally go off their food when they have
a cold since they can't smell the food with a blocked nose.

If no cattery will take him then I would guess it is okay to take him
since the alternative would be leaving him at home or having a cat
sitter in who might not be able to spot changes in his condition
(Kittens can go downhill fast)

I'm just worried about the 2 weeks, he should have shaken it off by
now?
I'd ask the vet

Never had a kitten with a cold just my two cents worth

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

-L.
December 16th 06, 09:43 AM
priscilla wrote:
> I have an abandoned kitten that I took to the vet 2 weeks ago. The vet
> says he has a cold and to just wait it out. He hasn't gotten any
> better. He is eating, which is a good sign, but I am worried. The vet
> said it may take anywhere from 10-21 days for him to get better. It has
> been 14 days so I wonder if it is premature to give the vet a call. Is
> it strange that he has been sick for this long??
>
> One more question... we are going away for 10 days for the holidays.
> Will it be safe to take him on our 13 hour drive to my parents house
> given his current health. i don't know if an animal boarding place
> would take him since he is sick.
>
> Any advice is much appreciated!!

It takes kittens a long time to shake off a virus as they have little
immunity. I would call your vet, tell them that he's still sick and
that you will be travelling with him. See what the vet says. Is any
of the discharge colored? Does he seem to be running a fever? If so
on either account, he will need an antibiotic, most likely.

Take him with you in a carrier. He will do much better with you than
if he is boarded. Cats that are boarded during Christmas are neglected
for attention. They get cleaned and fed (and meds given if necessary)
and that's it. There are simply too many cats to attend to during
X-Mas and New Year weeks. Plus the vet is paying the workers overtime
and they are under pressure to put in as few hours as possible.

Be sure to look up vets in the area near your parents just, in case.

-L.

blkcatgal
December 16th 06, 05:32 PM
I would definitely call the vet again at this point. When I first adopted
my kitten he developed a URI. His only symptom was sneezing, though. I
took him to the vet and because his symptoms weren't severe, she told me to
wait it out too. After about 10 days my kitten was still sneezing...still
no other symptoms. At that point, the vet put him on some antibiotics
because she thought the sneezing had gone on for too long at that point.
The meds did clear up the sneezing and my kitten was find.

As far as taking the kitten or boarding, I would try to take him. Make sure
you have a carrier for him. You're right, most boarding places may not take
him if he has a URI.

Sue

"priscilla" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have an abandoned kitten that I took to the vet 2 weeks ago. The vet
> says he has a cold and to just wait it out. He hasn't gotten any
> better. He is eating, which is a good sign, but I am worried. The vet
> said it may take anywhere from 10-21 days for him to get better. It has
> been 14 days so I wonder if it is premature to give the vet a call. Is
> it strange that he has been sick for this long??
>
> One more question... we are going away for 10 days for the holidays.
> Will it be safe to take him on our 13 hour drive to my parents house
> given his current health. i don't know if an animal boarding place
> would take him since he is sick.
>
> Any advice is much appreciated!!

catface
December 17th 06, 04:19 AM
I picked up a lost kitten recently, maybe a little over a month old.
She was thin, breathing roughly and sneezing. The vets here are heavily
into antibiotics and more used to dogs than cats, so I didn't want to
risk strong medication for such a young kitten. She could lap milk from
a saucer but not very effectively. So all I did was feed her a syringe
or two of warm milk or beef/chicken soup (boil the beef, reserve the
stock and don't salt it. I added a carrot , an onion and a couple of
garlic cloves to the stock whie boiling, but someone recently put up a
post saying onions and garlic are to be avoided for cats). A couple of
times I put a drop of eucalyptus oil on my finger and rubbed her chest.
I fed her at three hour intervals, just a syringe full at a time, kept
her warm (she was a snuggler and used to prefer being on people's
laps/shoulders/necks) and clean(wipe off the snot with warm damp
cottonwool). She improved dramatically, became round and fluffy and is
fine now. Don't put yours in a cattery because she will miss you and
get nervous around new animals.