PDA

View Full Version : Change in Feeding

December 16th 06, 12:49 AM
I want to change my cat from a fixed feeding schedule to free feeding.
Today I doubled what I normally put in his bowl and he ate the whole
thing. How do you recommend that I make this change?

Thanks

KitKat's Mom...

http://homepage.mac.com/roxy6671/KitKat/PhotoAlbum21.html

cybercat
December 16th 06, 12:55 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I want to change my cat from a fixed feeding schedule to free feeding.
> Today I doubled what I normally put in his bowl and he ate the whole
> thing. How do you recommend that I make this change?

Why are you changing?

---MIKE---
December 16th 06, 12:56 AM
KitKat's mom asked:

>How do you recommend that I make this
> change?

Dont!

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Matthew
December 16th 06, 01:48 AM
Use a feeder with a timer on it

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I want to change my cat from a fixed feeding schedule to free feeding.
> Today I doubled what I normally put in his bowl and he ate the whole
> thing. How do you recommend that I make this change?
>
> Thanks
>
> KitKat's Mom...
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/roxy6671/KitKat/PhotoAlbum21.html

cybercat
December 16th 06, 02:02 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
> Use a feeder with a timer on it

That's scheduled feeding.

December 16th 06, 03:05 AM
I am thinking about changing because he tries to wake us up from 4:00
am until 6:30 am when the alarm clock goes off. He used to wait for
the alarm, but something has changed and it is driving me crazy.

On Dec 15, 6:55 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote in ooglegroups.com...
>
> >I want to change my cat from a fixed feeding schedule to free feeding.
> > Today I doubled what I normally put in his bowl and he ate the whole
> > thing. How do you recommend that I make this change?Why are you changing?

December 16th 06, 03:06 AM
I see you have strong feelings about this...can you please tell me why
you say don't?

On Dec 15, 6:56 pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
> KitKat's mom asked:
>
> >How do you recommend that I make this
> > change?Dont!
>
> ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire >> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

December 16th 06, 03:07 AM
We considered that and have purchased two which have been unreliable.
Do you have a recommendation on one?

On Dec 15, 7:48 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> Use a feeder with a timer on it
>
> > wrote in ooglegroups.com...
>
> >I want to change my cat from a fixed feeding schedule to free feeding.
> > Today I doubled what I normally put in his bowl and he ate the whole
> > thing. How do you recommend that I make this change?
>
> > Thanks
>
> > KitKat's Mom...
>
> >http://homepage.mac.com/roxy6671/KitKat/PhotoAlbum21.html

cybercat
December 16th 06, 03:11 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am thinking about changing because he tries to wake us up from 4:00
> am until 6:30 am when the alarm clock goes off. He used to wait for
> the alarm, but something has changed and it is driving me crazy.

I put down food for Gracie when I go to bed, then as close as I can to 12
hours
later.

Lynne
December 16th 06, 03:11 AM
on Sat, 16 Dec 2006 02:06:10 GMT, wrote:

> I see you have strong feelings about this...can you please tell me why
> you say don't?
>
> On Dec 15, 6:56 pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
>> KitKat's mom asked:
>>
>> >How do you recommend that I make this
>> > change?Dont!
>>
>> ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> >>
> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

if a cat starts off free feeding as a kitten, he will usually self-regulate
his food intake and maintain a healthy weight throughout his life. A cat
who has been on scheduled feedings will typically over eat when they have
unlimited access to food. He will also likely continue to over eat and get
very, very fat.

--
Lynne

December 16th 06, 05:42 AM
that makes sense.......

On Dec 15, 9:11 pm, Lynne > wrote:
> on Sat, 16 Dec 2006 02:06:10 GMT, wrote:
>
> > I see you have strong feelings about this...can you please tell me why
> > you say don't?
>
> > On Dec 15, 6:56 pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
> >> KitKat's mom asked:

> >> ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>
> > (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')if a cat starts off free feeding as a kitten, he will usually self-regulate
> his food intake and maintain a healthy weight throughout his life. A cat
> who has been on scheduled feedings will typically over eat when they have
> unlimited access to food. He will also likely continue to over eat and get
> very, very fat.
>
> --
> Lynne
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/what.the.hell.is.it/

Phil P.
December 17th 06, 08:30 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I want to change my cat from a fixed feeding schedule to free feeding.
> Today I doubled what I normally put in his bowl and he ate the whole
> thing. How do you recommend that I make this change?

I don't. Its bad enough you're feeding a male cat dry food- which
predisposes him to urinary tract obstructions- free feeding increases the
risks even further.

Feeding releases bicarbonate which causes transient alkalinization of the
urine- this is known as the "postprandial alkaline tide" and promotes
struvite crystal formation. Nibbling throughout the day extends the
alkaline tide and keeps the urine alkaline throughout most of the day- which
increases the risks of struvite formation even further.

Although scheduled meal feeding produces a higher postprandial alkaline
tide, its duration is shorter and allows the cat's natural urine acidity to
return and dissolve any struvite that may have formed.

If your cat is used to eating on a fixed schedule, you should be thankful.
Now all you have to do is switch him over to canned food to practically
eliminate the risks of potentially fatal urinary tract obstructions.

Phil