PDA

View Full Version : Help! My kitten is limping

Just Me
December 16th 06, 11:40 PM
I tried to get an appt at vet. Left mesg on their ans machine but they
never called back. It seems emergencies always happen on weekends when it's
harder to get care for an animal or even human.

Kitty has been limping and licking/ favoring his left paw. When I try to
gently feel around it he whinces like he's in pain. This is same kitty I
wrote about here who has feline leukemia. He seems to be doing good in that
regard, i.e. feisty, eating, etc. I did notice that the toe at the end of
his paw seems to be pulled away from rest of paw. Is that normal? Anyone
know what this might be.

I did accidentally step on him in the dark about two weeks ago but he didn't
appear injured at that time. I hope I didn't break his toe.

cybercat
December 16th 06, 11:49 PM
"Just Me" > wrote in message
k.net...
>I tried to get an appt at vet. Left mesg on their ans machine but they
> never called back. It seems emergencies always happen on weekends when
> it's
> harder to get care for an animal or even human.
>
> Kitty has been limping and licking/ favoring his left paw. When I try to
> gently feel around it he whinces like he's in pain. This is same kitty I
> wrote about here who has feline leukemia. He seems to be doing good in
> that
> regard, i.e. feisty, eating, etc. I did notice that the toe at the end of
> his paw seems to be pulled away from rest of paw. Is that normal? Anyone
> know what this might be.
>
> I did accidentally step on him in the dark about two weeks ago but he
> didn't
> appear injured at that time. I hope I didn't break his toe.

So what do you want us to say? Get the cat to the ****ing vet. Jesus.

Lynne
December 17th 06, 12:02 AM
on Sat, 16 Dec 2006 22:40:38 GMT, "Just Me" > wrote:

> I tried to get an appt at vet. Left mesg on their ans machine but
> they never called back. It seems emergencies always happen on
> weekends when it's harder to get care for an animal or even human.

Take the kitten to an emergency animal hospital now. That's what they are
for, emergencies.

You probably did break the kitten's toe, don't make it worse by delaying
treatment any further. Stepping on the kitten was an accident, but waiting
until the weekend is over to save some money is criminal.

--
Lynne

bookie
December 17th 06, 01:07 AM
Just Me wrote:
> I tried to get an appt at vet. Left mesg on their ans machine but they
> never called back. It seems emergencies always happen on weekends when it's
> harder to get care for an animal or even human.
>
> Kitty has been limping and licking/ favoring his left paw. When I try to
> gently feel around it he whinces like he's in pain. This is same kitty I
> wrote about here who has feline leukemia. He seems to be doing good in that
> regard, i.e. feisty, eating, etc. I did notice that the toe at the end of
> his paw seems to be pulled away from rest of paw. Is that normal? Anyone
> know what this might be.
>
> I did accidentally step on him in the dark about two weeks ago but he didn't
> appear injured at that time. I hope I didn't break his toe.
that will teach you for being too tight to turn the lights on, you
won't be stamping around in the dark again will you? you must be aware
that kittens follow people around, get under their feet, and are not
usually quick enough to get out of the way if someone steps back, turns
around or makes an unexpected move and can easily get trodden on if
some blundering idiot is not careful of where he/she is treading.
Please be more careful in future, turn lights on, look where youput
your feet, but most importantly take this poor little mite to an
emergency vet NOW do not delay or the injury will get worse.
If it costs you lots of cash then you only really have yourself to
blame for being so damn clumsy so be a bit more bloody careful in
future and remember that this fragile little thing depends on YOU to
take care of him and look after him so don't let him down now.

dgk
December 17th 06, 02:01 AM
On 16 Dec 2006 16:07:52 -0800, "bookie" >
wrote:

>> I did accidentally step on him in the dark about two weeks ago but he didn't
>> appear injured at that time. I hope I didn't break his toe.

>that will teach you for being too tight to turn the lights on, you
>won't be stamping around in the dark again will you? you must be aware
>that kittens follow people around, get under their feet, and are not
>usually quick enough to get out of the way if someone steps back, turns
>around or makes an unexpected move and can easily get trodden on if
>some blundering idiot is not careful of where he/she is treading.
>Please be more careful in future, turn lights on, look where youput
>your feet, but most importantly take this poor little mite to an
>emergency vet NOW do not delay or the injury will get worse.
> If it costs you lots of cash then you only really have yourself to
>blame for being so damn clumsy so be a bit more bloody careful in
>future and remember that this fragile little thing depends on YOU to
>take care of him and look after him so don't let him down now.

I'll admit to being stunned at the lack of compassion expressed in a
few messages on this thread. I do everything I can to avoid stepping
on my boys, and I still end up tripping over them sometimes. This is
particularly true in the middle of the night when I get up to pee and
am half asleep. I don't turn on the light because I might wake up the
SO, and because turning on the light wakes me up too much to get back
to sleep easily.

Deciding whether to go to the emergency vet is often a difficult
decision. Several times I've wondered whether to take a cat to the
emergency vet, which is some distance away. I usually error on the
side of going to the emergency vet, but money isn't a major problem
for me. It is for others.

For a cat that is limping, I don't think they even set a broken toe.
But it is likely infected and needs antibiotics so I'd go in this
case.

Still, with so many people who won't complicate their lives to take
even one cat, venom towards those who do seems a bit misplaced. I'm
quite sure the OP feels terribly about stepping on the kitty and will
try to be more careful. Let he/she who has never stepped on their
kitty cast the first hairball.

Lynne
December 17th 06, 02:12 AM
on Sun, 17 Dec 2006 01:01:12 GMT, dgk > wrote:

> Deciding whether to go to the emergency vet is often a difficult
> decision. Several times I've wondered whether to take a cat to the
> emergency vet, which is some distance away. I usually error on the
> side of going to the emergency vet, but money isn't a major problem
> for me. It is for others.

IME, if you're even questioning whether a trip to the emergency vet is
neccessary, then it is usually neccessary. I do realize that money is a
problem for many people, but when people with tight budgets take on pets
they need to set money aside for emergencies. It's common sense. Anyone
who pays for cable tv and the like and then complains they have no money
gets no sympathy from me. Today's so-called neccessities are actually
luxuries. There are almost ALWAYS ways to cut back and save. If someone
is truly poor, they shouldn't take on pets.

> For a cat that is limping, I don't think they even set a broken toe.
> But it is likely infected and needs antibiotics so I'd go in this
> case.

Absolutely.

> Still, with so many people who won't complicate their lives to take
> even one cat, venom towards those who do seems a bit misplaced. I'm
> quite sure the OP feels terribly about stepping on the kitty and will
> try to be more careful. Let he/she who has never stepped on their
> kitty cast the first hairball.

I agree that it was an accident, and it could happen to most anyone. No
matter the cause of the kitten's problem, however, proper vet care simply
isn't an option. Even on the weekend.

--
Lynne

sheelagh
December 17th 06, 03:41 AM
>I tried to get an appt at vet. Left mesg on their ans machine but they
>never called back. It seems emergencies always happen on weekends when it's
>harder to get care for an animal.

You didn't mention where you come from?(ie:usa/uk??)
I don't live near a vet suregery either that works normal practise at
the weekends either, but around 20 miles away there is a [email protected] Home
store which is open both on Saturday's & Sundays too.I am not
registered with them,nevertheless,when Lilly was looking out of sorts
one weekend,I called them straight away & they offered to see her
anyway,even though I was not registered with them....
I am sure that if you rang them & explained the circumstances & your
Kitty's pain, they would be more than happy to see her.
They don't charge anymore than any other vet does on a weekday as well,
so that is a huge bonus(in my case because I am on a tight budget...).
Have a go at it, & let us know how kitty is doing after you have been?

People on here can't understand why you have left it so long-that is
the crux of the problem.
If you have no transport, then ask a neighbor, or catch the bus.The
danger is that I you leave it too long,she will get septacemia *which
will kill her*...No one wants to hear that, you least of all I would
imagine.No one thinks for one moment that you did it on purpose!
But It would be really good to hear from you that you have seen the
vet,& that she is getting treatment & also better too.
Also worth pointing out, that if you are on a low income, there are
places that you can go that will help out with cost of treatement(in uk
@ least!).Borrow the money from dept of work & pensions(interest free
too);charity's that will help,or even call the rspca(human society in
the states?There is no humiliation in doing this..it is the right
thiing to do & They will help you, not hinder you.If you are big enough
to stand up & be counted, they will reach for the sky for you to ensure
that kitty is treated, & also that she stays with you too,because you
love her & care about her.
I wish you well & kitty a speedy recovery,But Do it,ok?
S.

Rhonda
December 17th 06, 05:28 AM
bookie wrote:
> Just Me wrote:
>
>>I tried to get an appt at vet. Left mesg on their ans machine but they
>>never called back. It seems emergencies always happen on weekends when it's
>>harder to get care for an animal or even human.
>>
>>Kitty has been limping and licking/ favoring his left paw. When I try to
>>gently feel around it he whinces like he's in pain. This is same kitty I
>>wrote about here who has feline leukemia. He seems to be doing good in that
>>regard, i.e. feisty, eating, etc. I did notice that the toe at the end of
>>his paw seems to be pulled away from rest of paw. Is that normal? Anyone
>>know what this might be.
>>
>>I did accidentally step on him in the dark about two weeks ago but he didn't
>>appear injured at that time. I hope I didn't break his toe.
>
> that will teach you for being too tight to turn the lights on, you
> won't be stamping around in the dark again will you?

OMG, the compassion is astounding! Must be that holiday spirit. "Too
tight to turn on the lights?" What a leap. We have cats and I don't turn
on the lights when I get up in the middle of the night. I should be jailed.

Just me, try to find a vet that's open, don't rely on the one that isn't
returning your calls. If you don't have an emergency vet around you, do
you have a PetSmart? They have Banfield vet clinics that are usually
open on weekends.

Good luck, get him some help soon. At the very least he probably needs
some pain medication.

Rhonda

MaryL
December 17th 06, 06:17 AM
"Just Me" > wrote in message
k.net...
>I tried to get an appt at vet. Left mesg on their ans machine but they
> never called back. It seems emergencies always happen on weekends when
> it's
> harder to get care for an animal or even human.
>
> Kitty has been limping and licking/ favoring his left paw. When I try to
> gently feel around it he whinces like he's in pain. This is same kitty I
> wrote about here who has feline leukemia. He seems to be doing good in
> that
> regard, i.e. feisty, eating, etc. I did notice that the toe at the end of
> his paw seems to be pulled away from rest of paw. Is that normal? Anyone
> know what this might be.
>
> I did accidentally step on him in the dark about two weeks ago but he
> didn't
> appear injured at that time. I hope I didn't break his toe.

Do you have any emergency vets in your area, or vets that have a rotating
emergency service? If so, try one of them. I can't tell exactly what you
are describing with regard to the toe, but I would be concerned about a
possible abscess. The incident when you accidentally stepped on your cat
could have caused an injury, and the extent may not have been obvious then.
Cats are also notorious for hiding pain, so the fact that your cat is now
obviously in pain should be cause for concern (which, I realize, is exactly
why you wrote).

Some of the responses to your query are ludicrous. I absolutely adore my
two furbabies, but I have accidentally stepped on toes or tails. I am
horrified when it happens, but I also know that none of us can be completely
aware of exactly where our cats are at all times. And the suggestion that
failure to turn on the light at night is somehow negligent is ridiculous.
Ignore it!

MaryL

IBen Getiner
December 17th 06, 07:05 AM
Just Me wrote:
> I tried to get an appt at vet. Left mesg on their ans machine but they
> never called back. It seems emergencies always happen on weekends when it's
> harder to get care for an animal or even human.
>
> Kitty has been limping and licking/ favoring his left paw. When I try to
> gently feel around it he whinces like he's in pain. This is same kitty I
> wrote about here who has feline leukemia. He seems to be doing good in that
> regard, i.e. feisty, eating, etc. I did notice that the toe at the end of
> his paw seems to be pulled away from rest of paw. Is that normal? Anyone
> know what this might be.
>
> I did accidentally step on him in the dark about two weeks ago but he didn't
> appear injured at that time. I hope I didn't break his toe.

Why didn't you seek medical help then if you thought you injured him? A
check-up at least...

IBen

bookie
December 17th 06, 09:45 PM

> Still, with so many people who won't complicate their lives to take
> even one cat, venom towards those who do seems a bit misplaced. I'm
> quite sure the OP feels terribly about stepping on the kitty and will
> try to be more careful. Let he/she who has never stepped on their
> kitty cast the first hairball.
nope, never stepped on any of my cats, always very careful to look
where they are, particularly small kittens as i was told from a very
young age when my family got a kitten that they follow you around and
to be careful where you tread as you may step on kitty if you do not as
kittens may not be able to move out of the way fast enough. Was also
told horrific story by my mother of when her clumsy sister speared a
small kitten they had with a stiletto heel by stepping on it and how
her kitten had to be put to sleep (if it wasn't already dead) an that
was a tale I will never forget, certainly not the graphic way my mum
told it anyway.

I learned by someone else's bad mistake, unfortunately this individual
has had to learn by their own, just as long as they do learn that is.

dgk
December 18th 06, 02:24 PM
On 17 Dec 2006 12:45:15 -0800, "bookie" >
wrote:

>> Still, with so many people who won't complicate their lives to take
>> even one cat, venom towards those who do seems a bit misplaced. I'm
>> quite sure the OP feels terribly about stepping on the kitty and will
>> try to be more careful. Let he/she who has never stepped on their
>> kitty cast the first hairball.
>nope, never stepped on any of my cats, always very careful to look
>where they are, particularly small kittens as i was told from a very
>young age when my family got a kitten that they follow you around and
>to be careful where you tread as you may step on kitty if you do not as
>kittens may not be able to move out of the way fast enough. Was also
>told horrific story by my mother of when her clumsy sister speared a
>small kitten they had with a stiletto heel by stepping on it and how
>her kitten had to be put to sleep (if it wasn't already dead) an that
>was a tale I will never forget, certainly not the graphic way my mum
>told it anyway.
>
>I learned by someone else's bad mistake, unfortunately this individual
>has had to learn by their own, just as long as they do learn that is.

I'm always amazed at what cats will do. Just yesterday a friend is
watching TV while I'm fixing a bike wheel and suddenly I hear an
exclamation, my friend looks under his chair, and Espy has crawled
into the mechanism and is comfortably peering out. He could just as
easily gotten pinched a bit when my friend got up.

They do get places where we would never think of.

cybercat
December 18th 06, 06:36 PM
"dgk" > wrote

> They do get places where we would never think of.

Yes. The thing is, they are curious and they only have those
little cat brains to work with. :D That is why we need to be
careful with them and what they are exposed to.

Wendy
December 22nd 06, 01:56 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> bookie wrote:
>> Just Me wrote:
>>
>>>I tried to get an appt at vet. Left mesg on their ans machine but they
>>>never called back. It seems emergencies always happen on weekends when
>>>it's
>>>harder to get care for an animal or even human.
>>>
>>>Kitty has been limping and licking/ favoring his left paw. When I try to
>>>gently feel around it he whinces like he's in pain. This is same kitty I
>>>wrote about here who has feline leukemia. He seems to be doing good in
>>>that
>>>regard, i.e. feisty, eating, etc. I did notice that the toe at the end
>>>of
>>>his paw seems to be pulled away from rest of paw. Is that normal?
>>>Anyone
>>>know what this might be.
>>>
>>>I did accidentally step on him in the dark about two weeks ago but he
>>>didn't
>>>appear injured at that time. I hope I didn't break his toe.
>>
>> that will teach you for being too tight to turn the lights on, you
>> won't be stamping around in the dark again will you?
>
> OMG, the compassion is astounding! Must be that holiday spirit. "Too tight
> to turn on the lights?" What a leap. We have cats and I don't turn on the
> lights when I get up in the middle of the night. I should be jailed.
>
> Just me, try to find a vet that's open, don't rely on the one that isn't
> returning your calls. If you don't have an emergency vet around you, do
> you have a PetSmart? They have Banfield vet clinics that are usually open
> on weekends.
>
> Good luck, get him some help soon. At the very least he probably needs
> some pain medication.
>
> Rhonda

Banfield isn't usually open evenings or Sundays - at least none around here
are. I wish there was a practice that did weekends other than the emergency
vets that charge you almost $100 to walk in the door and then tack on the
regular fees on top of that. Of course I also wish the cat wouldn't wait
until 10 minutes after the regular vet closes to let you know he's not
feeling well.

Wendy
December 22nd 06, 01:59 PM

> Some of the responses to your query are ludicrous. I absolutely adore my
> two furbabies, but I have accidentally stepped on toes or tails. I am
> horrified when it happens, but I also know that none of us can be
> completely aware of exactly where our cats are at all times. And the
> suggestion that failure to turn on the light at night is somehow negligent
> is ridiculous. Ignore it!
>
> MaryL

I swore my Isabelle was deliberately trying to trip me up yesterday when I
was bringing my computer back in from the car (and it's trip to Geek Squad
for repairs). She stayed just inches in front of my feet as long as I was
carrying the tower, dang cat.

Outsider
December 22nd 06, 02:27 PM
"Wendy" > wrote in
:

>> Some of the responses to your query are ludicrous. I absolutely
>> adore my two furbabies, but I have accidentally stepped on toes or
>> tails. I am horrified when it happens, but I also know that none of
>> us can be completely aware of exactly where our cats are at all
>> times. And the suggestion that failure to turn on the light at night
>> is somehow negligent is ridiculous. Ignore it!
>>
>> MaryL
>>

> I swore my Isabelle was deliberately trying to trip me up yesterday
> when I was bringing my computer back in from the car (and it's trip to
> Geek Squad for repairs). She stayed just inches in front of my feet as
> long as I was carrying the tower, dang cat.

WHAT is in their heads when they do this?! Zak too. "Outta the way Zak,
you're gonna break my neck and get yourself flattened"! He don't care!
Silly thing.

22brix
December 22nd 06, 06:47 PM
"Outsider" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Wendy" > wrote in
> :
>

>>> Some of the responses to your query are ludicrous. I absolutely
>>> adore my two furbabies, but I have accidentally stepped on toes or
>>> tails. I am horrified when it happens, but I also know that none of
>>> us can be completely aware of exactly where our cats are at all
>>> times. And the suggestion that failure to turn on the light at night
>>> is somehow negligent is ridiculous. Ignore it!
>>>
>>> MaryL
>>>

>> I swore my Isabelle was deliberately trying to trip me up yesterday
>> when I was bringing my computer back in from the car (and it's trip to
>> Geek Squad for repairs). She stayed just inches in front of my feet as
>> long as I was carrying the tower, dang cat.

> WHAT is in their heads when they do this?! Zak too. "Outta the way Zak,
> you're gonna break my neck and get yourself flattened"! He don't care!
> Silly thing.

I've been feeding a feral? cat for several months--he loves my
long-suffering dog and will weave through her legs to the point where she
trips over him. I try to get between them so my poor old-lady dog doesn't
lame herself; the cat will then throw himself down right in front of my
feet, purring all the time. If I reach down to pet him he'll run a few feet
in front of me and repeat the whole process! I've almost stepped on him and
have accidently kicked him several times in the dark but he's right back for
more. I think he must have been "pre-owned" or he's simply crazy.

Bonnie

Outsider
December 23rd 06, 01:25 PM
"22brix" > wrote in
:

> "Outsider" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> "Wendy" > wrote in
>> :

>>> I swore my Isabelle was deliberately trying to trip me up yesterday
>>> when I was bringing my computer back in from the car (and it's trip
>>> to Geek Squad for repairs). She stayed just inches in front of my
>>> feet as long as I was carrying the tower, dang cat.

>> WHAT is in their heads when they do this?! Zak too. "Outta the way
>> Zak, you're gonna break my neck and get yourself flattened"! He
>> don't care! Silly thing.
>>

> I've been feeding a feral? cat for several months--he loves my
> long-suffering dog and will weave through her legs to the point where
> she trips over him. I try to get between them so my poor old-lady dog
> doesn't lame herself; the cat will then throw himself down right in
> front of my feet, purring all the time. If I reach down to pet him
> he'll run a few feet in front of me and repeat the whole process!
> I've almost stepped on him and have accidently kicked him several
> times in the dark but he's right back for more. I think he must have
> been "pre-owned" or he's simply crazy.
>
> Bonnie

I guess they just don't realize how big we are.

Andy

Lynne
December 23rd 06, 03:08 PM
on Sat, 23 Dec 2006 12:25:28 GMT, Outsider > wrote:

> I guess they just don't realize how big we are.

They trust us not to hurt them.

--
Lynne